seventy5

NVidia GTX1060 6Gb OC or Radeon RX580 8Gb?

Starting to update my 5 years old system. :$

Current:

AMD FX6300 3,9Mhz -> 4,2Mhz

Radeon HD 7850 2Gb 1000Mhz mem 1315Mhz

8Gb Kingston HyperX 1866Mhz -> 2200Mhz

I use 1080p via Sony 55" Tv..

For now, I first wanna get new GPU, but too many choices. So help me out. And yea, I know my CPU propably will scream help when I chance only GPU first.

First of course: AMD Radeon RX5xx or Nvidia GTX1060?

But second thing what I have been wondering is 6Gb vs 8Gb GPU memory? Any advancies on Squad?

After that Im thinking rest of the system.. Gonna go still with AMD Ryzen 5 1600/1700 or change completely to Intel i5 latest?

So tell me some thoughts of these? TY!

Edited by seventy5

Hello and welcome to the forum!

If you want to build a gaming only system I would highly recommend going for the 1060 6 GB with an I5 (The I5 8400 is the most bang for the buck you can get ATM for gaming)

If you also want to do video editing and rendering and stuff like that you could opt for a Ryzen CPU. Gaming performance is a bit slower then on a current Intel CPU though. (Maybe that will change with the new Ryzen CPU that will come out soon TM)

You also have to remember that you will need new RAM.

19 minutes ago, koschilein said:

Hello and welcome to the forum!

If you want to build a gaming only system I would highly recommend going for the 1060 6 GB with an I5 (The I5 8400 is the most bang for the buck you can get ATM for gaming)

If you also want to do video editing and rendering and stuff like that you could opt for a Ryzen CPU. Gaming performance is a bit slower then on a current Intel CPU though. (Maybe that will change with the new Ryzen CPU that will come out soon TM)

You also have to remember that you will need new RAM.

Thanks! Mainly its for gaming. Time to time could be some video editing, but its not a thing.

But how about that different GPU memory; RX uses 8Gb vs GTX only 6Gb?

And yea, I have noticed that also memory have to change to DDR4. Thats a shame on current memory prices.

19 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

What games do you play mostly?

For now mainly Squad. Maybe Americas Army and Argo sometimes.

Edited by seventy5

7 minutes ago, seventy5 said:

Thanks! Mainly its for gaming. Time to time could be some video editing, but its not a thing.

But how about that different GPU memory; RX uses 8Gb vs GTX only 6Gb?

And yea, I have noticed that also memory have to change to DDR4. Thats a shame on current memory prices.

For now only Squad. Maybe americas army sometimes.

Since you mentioned squad as one of your primary games, I would recommend the i5 series for your cpu as they have better single thread performance which will give you more fps in squad (and star citizen, and honestly many early access games). 

For the gpu both sides have pluses and minuses, but since you're going for 1920x1080 resolution I don't think the extra 2gb of vram really justifies the loss of some tesselation performance (in some instances). Either gpu will be fine though. 

2 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

For the gpu both sides have pluses and minuses, but since you're going for 1920x1080 resolution I don't think the extra 2gb of vram really justifies the loss of some tesselation performance (in some instances). Either gpu will be fine though. 

^

This, I would maybe just see if you find a good deal on either of those two, but even as an AMD fan myself I would rather go with the 1060 6 GB for 1080P gaming.

5 minutes ago, koschilein said:

^

This, I would maybe just see if you find a good deal on either of those two, but even as an AMD fan myself I would rather go with the 1060 6 GB for 1080P gaming.

Of Course cannot say what it will be on near future. 4K :D

For Squad your biggest upgrade re performance will be to move from the FX chip to Ryzen or Intel (my preference).

The FX chips have always been bad with Squad.

If I were you and budget is  a major consideration I would look to sell your system and purchase a second hand Intel rig with the following specs as a min:

Fast i5
16GB RAM
4GB Vram GPU
SSD

You will have a marvellous time compared to where you are at in Squad.

Of course, more money, more performance etc.

Posted (edited)

Ok. I purchased that MSI GTX 1060 Gaming 6gb.

But now.. Seems really wierd.. I get time to time lower FPS reading (stat count Goes yellow) than that really old Radeon HD 7850 2gb? O.o

My FX CPU runs about 50% level and new GTX only on something 20-40%. I am kinda lost here now o.O And I DIDNT even lift up any details on graphics settings. I have cleared my game cache from game. GTX is on gaming mode.

I will update at some point rest of the rig allso. But for now, what to do? I Did except some performance gain, when I bought about 3-4 time faster GPU.

Oh, and Squad are installed on SSD. Like windows 10 also.

Edited by seventy5

10 hours ago, seventy5 said:

Ok. I purchased that MSI GTX 1060 Gaming 6gb.

But now.. Seems really wierd.. I get time to time lower FPS reading (stat count Goes yellow) than that really old Radeon HD 7850 2gb? O.o

My FX CPU runs about 50% level and new GTX only on something 20-40%. I am kinda lost here now o.O And I DIDNT even lift up any details on graphics settings. I have cleared my game cache from game. GTX is on gaming mode.

I will update at some point rest of the rig allso. But for now, what to do? I Did except some performance gain, when I bought about 3-4 time faster GPU.

Like many people mentioned, the FX processor was the weakest link in your "performance chain", despite being at almost 4ghz due to the relatively bad (compared to intel's newer i5 range) single threaded performance. In games like BF1 or others from big studios, you should see a nice performance gain from the 1060. 

You're using stat fps to view your frame numbers right? Use stat unit to check which component is the one bottlenecking your performance... I would bet a hundred dollars on it being the Game thread. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Psyrus said:

Like many people mentioned, the FX processor was the weakest link in your "performance chain", despite being at almost 4ghz due to the relatively bad (compared to intel's newer i5 range) single threaded performance. In games like BF1 or others from big studios, you should see a nice performance gain from the 1060. 

You're using stat fps to view your frame numbers right? Use stat unit to check which component is the one bottlenecking your performance... I would bet a hundred dollars on it being the Game thread. 

Yea, I know FX are problem. But now just comparing with this GPU change. And to me it's bit wierd, that I put in at least 3x faster GPU and BOOM, nothing happens. :S

I use both of those; stat fps, stat unit. I will check what Stat Unit says now..

Edited by seventy5

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, seventy5 said:

Yea, I know FX are problem. But now just comparing with this GPU change. And to me it's bit wierd, that I put in at least 3x faster GPU and BOOM, nothing happens. :S

Imagine that you have two employees working for you. They each have one job:

1) Write some articles in English

2) Translate that text to Spanish

One day you notice that the your company's Spanish translation output is just 1 article per month. This is unacceptable and you want at least 3 per month. So you fire the second worker (the Spanish translator), hire a new one and buy a whole new PC and translation setup to improve the efficiency. Your new translator with all the best equipment also only ends up outputting 1 article translated for the whole month. 

WHAT!?, you think, "I spent all this money to upgrade both the environment and the translator, and the output hasn't improved". 

Turns out that the guy writing the English articles (the originals) was unable to write his original KPI 3x articles per month because he is used to writing love stories but you asked him to write technical documentation on quantum mechanics. He has only been writing one article per month, which the translators both translated very quickly and efficiently. 

This is an anecdote on how adding much better equipment may not solve performance issues :) 

Edit: In case it's not clear, the article writer (english) is the CPU, the translators are the GPU

Edited by Psyrus

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Psyrus said:

Imagine that you have two employees working for you. They each have one job:

1) Write some articles in English

2) Translate that text to Spanish

One day you notice that the your company's Spanish translation output is just 1 article per month. This is unacceptable and you want at least 3 per month. So you fire the second worker (the Spanish translator), hire a new one and buy a whole new PC and translation setup to improve the efficiency. Your new translator with all the best equipment also only ends up outputting 1 article translated for the whole month. 

WHAT!?, you think, "I spent all this money to upgrade both the environment and the translator, and the output hasn't improved". 

Turns out that the guy writing the English articles (the originals) was unable to write his original KPI 3x articles per month because he is used to writing love stories but you asked him to write technical documentation on quantum mechanics. He has only been writing one article per month, which the translators both translated very quickly and efficiently. 

This is an anecdote on how adding much better equipment may not solve performance issues :) 

Edit: In case it's not clear, the article writer (english) is the CPU, the translators are the GPU

:D

Stat Unit:

FPS: 32.35

Frame: 33.19

Game: 25,84

Draw: 12.95

GPU: 33.35

Littlebit different graphics settings:

Stat Unit:

FPS: 54

Frame: 18.95

Game: 16.64

Draw: 7.41

GPU: 19.06

Map: Kokan valley AAS v1

GPU usage: 30-55%

GPU memory usage about 2gigs

CPU usage 40-55%

Computer Memory usage about 5gigs

Kohat Toi River:

FPS: 32.35

Frame: 33.19

Game: 25.84

GPU usage: 75%

GPU memory usage about 4 gigs

CPU usage 60-70%

Computer Memory usage about 5.5 gig

No battle or players near.

But one thing what I noticed, all CPU cores are in use! :)

Edited by seventy5

Out of curiosity, when you said this:

19 minutes ago, seventy5 said:

Littlebit different graphics settings:

Did you turn your settings higher or lower which lead to the FPS change?

As we can see in your instance, the draw thread (rendering) is less than half the time of your game thread (CPU) so your CPU will be holding you back. 

I am intrigued by how much higher your first test's GPU was than the game thread though, usually they're pretty close when CPU bottlenecked

21 minutes ago, seventy5 said:

Game: 25.84

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Psyrus said:

Out of curiosity, when you said this:

Did you turn your settings higher or lower which lead to the FPS change?

As we can see in your instance, the draw thread (rendering) is less than half the time of your game thread (CPU) so your CPU will be holding you back. 

I am intrigued by how much higher your first test's GPU was than the game thread though, usually they're pretty close when CPU bottlenecked

I Messed up with different anti-aliasing setting and quality settings was High.

New data where audio quality is dropped low. Before it was high.

Kohat again:

FPS: 36.13

Frame: 29.47

Game: 23.07

Draw: 13.23

GPU: 28.65

T+FXAA ON

All Epic

checks off (Bloom etc.)

FPS: 34.77

Frame: 28.59

Game: 24.02

Draw: 10.62

GPU: 28.69

T+FXAA ON

Distance epic

All other mid

checks off (Bloom etc.)

FPS: 33.94

Frame: 30.02

Game: 25.72

Draw: 7.86

GPU: 29.96

T+FXAA ON

Distance epic

All other Low

checks off (Bloom etc.)

I dont know.. Seem sometimes getting higher FPS when settings are higher xD Of course there is 1million variations on this. Where u at on map. How much firefights goining nearby etc.

Edited by seventy5

Posted (edited)

Psyrus is right. He's got the reasoning behind which to get very well and knows his stuff.

Your AMD CPU, even at an extremely high overclock, is still extremely underpowered. AMD's cores are notoriously underpowered per core. That's why, even with your new GPU, you didn't really see a change in your performance. You really need to upgrade to Intel if you want to see some dramatic change in your performance, especially in a game like Squad. Otherwise, your only option now is to turn down options and resolutions to lessen the load on your CPU and GPU until you can upgrade the rest of your system....if you can.

You can also try pushing up your page filing if you've got the RAM to do it. It may not help, but it's showed some positive results for people over at the Steam forums if you want to check that out. It won't work miracles for you if it does work (you've got a pretty bad CPU) but it is something to try.

For now mainly Squad. Maybe Americas Army and Argo sometimes.

America's Army? Nice! Great free shooter right there.

Edited by Root

Posted (edited)

Now I have changed my rig to Intel and BOOM problems gone! At least after couple day of testing.

Now I dont have any crashes, any interrupts, nothing. Just a quite nice gaming experiement. Amazing performance boost from 0-40fps to 70-95fps. And I even lift up settings to EPIC execpt those special checkboxes underneath are off, Bloom etc. Motion blur on.

i7 and 16Gb mem.

So for me, I can say, every problem what I stumbled on, was AMD FX related. o.O

Edited by seventy5

On 3/16/2018 at 5:23 AM, seventy5 said:

Now I have changed my rig to Intel and BOOM problems gone! At least after couple day of testing.

Now I dont have any crashes, any interrupts, nothing. Just a quite nice gaming experiement. Amazing performance boost from 0-40fps to 70-95fps. And I even lift up settings to EPIC execpt those special checkboxes underneath are off, Bloom etc. Motion blur on.

i7 and 16Gb mem.

I'm glad your problems are gone. It is sad AMD CPUs are so...just well, as they are. I keep rooting for them to do better every time they announce something, but it just doesn't seem like they can catch up, which is a shame. :(

Anyways, awesome news and glad you're getting some beefy results! Enjoy the game! :)

On 3/16/2018 at 9:23 AM, seventy5 said:

i7 and 16Gb mem.

good stuff, enjoy the game!