Coletrain

Massive disconnect between what people tell me on forums vs. what I experience as a squad leader.

I often offer my services as a logi and transport pilot, or mortar operator, to other SLs and I get the silence treatment. So this issue go both ways. There's a lot of noobs out there. And they just don't care. It is a sad thing indeed.

Someone mentioned Russian and Chinese servers being more organised? I have to admit this comes as a very welcome surprise, but a surprise all the same. I'm interested to hear more? What makes them better and why? Thanks.

PS Do I need to start learning Chinese or Russian to get a team oriented game?

8 hours ago, TheGenera1 said:

Someone mentioned Russian and Chinese servers being more organised? I have to admit this comes as a very welcome surprise, but a surprise all the same. I'm interested to hear more? What makes them better and why? Thanks.

Maybe they are more structural cultures in general, as in work and social life? 

The Chinese seem like an organized bunch. I am going to China in a couple of days actually. I will report back. 

A stronger sense of camaraderie among the Russians, and an unmatched sense of pride, and aspiration to win. 

We Europeans are lost in a heated search for a "correct" ideology, and sensible direction. We don't know what to think or believe about anything anymore. Often winging it in life, hoping for the best. Maybe that reflects in our way of playing games? 

What are the Americans like? Canadians? What is happening on South American servers?

Australia? "Oi c*nt, head south, you bugga'. Got no stamina, got no guts. Crikey logi! Bloody hell, where you goin' mate? Walkabout?"

6 hours ago, PuddleMurda said:

What are the Americans like? Canadians? What is happening on South American servers?

South American servers have always been the same: headless chikens running around, spies on the other team telling where the FOBs are, more noise than proper communication on both radio frenquencies and radio silence when you ask if anyone needs a logi truck or if the transport pilot can come pick you up at the main base since nobody wanted to build a FOB.

Since my clan specializes and FOB Hunting, we're pretty much ok doing our own thing and helping out the best way possible. But some times other type of issue comes up, and this is not a south american server issue only because it happens in any server. Some losers see that you're sneaking your way to the enemy's flank and then they run guns blazing calling attention of the entire server and we all die.

15 hours ago, TheGenera1 said:

PS Do I need to start learning Chinese or Russian to get a team oriented game?

Primarily, smaller community of more dedicated players.
The same reason that, say, an average Eskimo baseball player would be more dedicated than an average American baseball player - he had to go out of his way to get into it.

I played with the Chinese without knowing the language or culture and it was kinda fun

It all depends on everyone's preference. The more hours i logged in the game, the more I appreciated all the aspects and mechanics (including teamplay). The more hours I logged, the more I felt like doing logi runs accomplished a necessary task. I enjoy doing them. Even as an SL.

Posted (edited)

If my ping isn't too high I might try and get in a Chinese server for the lolz. Just checked, ping of 800-1200. Fun.

Edited by TheGenera1

I'm one of those weirdos that likes logi... loved ANT runs in PlanetSide too. Some of the most intense moments came from being the supply hero for me, but I'm fully ready to agree it's not the most rewarding gameplay at the moment. Instead of AI, though, I'd like to see it adjusted to something that people want to play. AI isn't a bad idea, but ideally, if it's in the game, it should be fun to do, imho. (Note: I'm not a game designer and just sharin' muh personal opinion.)

It would be cool if the supplies were dropped in certain part of the map and the team would have to send logi trucks out to get them with some protection of some sort for supplies. 

Has anyone played foxhole? If it had a system where teams would fight over supply points aling with objectives then it would be interesting for logi runners. Obviously not as complicater as foxhole where you have to smash it with hammers but where there is a small objective that each team can fight over that gives them supplies theycan pickup each time it is filled up or some shit.

If anyone here plays insurgency, you will know what Russians are like. The idea that they are any more organised is definitely laughable. As someone who speaks the language, I can assure its nothing more than a constant barrage of "suka blyat's" and yob tvoyu mat's. Having said that, any group of people who want to take the game seriously can come from any region, even Latin America to quote cecili. I recommend joining a clan, or at least a clan's discord. Many clan's play with cooperative blueberries from their discord and it makes for a fun game. 

Posted (edited)

I ask for a volunteer before I bark at someone to do a run .. and if no takers i have rules .. medics are immune, everyone else has to do only 1 run maximum and swop generally if you are dead your up

Edited by SL Gir

Boys I cant stand what you guys sometimes write in these threats.

I play as a Mortar  SL or APC SL like 70% of the time. I have over 100hr as a Mortar SL and here are my expiriences:

Most ppl seem to dislike Mortar FOBs, because usually bad SLs miss use the Mortars. They dont know how to use the calculator, they dont use penn and paper for target. They let mortar-gunners choose their own settings. Horrible desicions.

I usually calculate the targets my self while i do the logi runs to keep the base going. Thats one major part of Mortar-fobing: Built the FOB as close to the Mainbase as possible. Drive the Truck as SL or have one of the two gunners rearm themselfs.
If you do it that way, only 3 guys will be neccessary for indirect fire support. Yet those 3 will have the firepower of a full squad.

What is needed to really be usefull as a Mortar-Squad are Squadleaders that assign you targets, provide feedback and actually advance with the fire support given. Thats usually the part that will fail. Most SLs hate Mortars, as for above stated reasons, therefore dont provide any information...sadly.
If they do, the enemy will start to cry. I can guarantee that.

Heres a list of things only indirect fire support can do for you:

• - annihilate : kill all enemies on a given spot, usually 50x50m, use 2 Mortars on one spot
  • - destroy : make a 150x150m area a killzone, use 2 mortars on different base targets, let them spray depending on distance
  • - suppress: make enemies seek shelter, thus reducing their combat effectiveness. Dropp 1 shell per 30x30 every 7 sec
  • - harrass: you can shell them from time to time with low ammo count to make them nervous. Works well if you already annihilated a squad ;) Shell them with 1 shell per 50x50 every 10sec
  • - block : block an area from enemmy-access for a limited time. Calculate a straight line between 2 Points, keep a barrage up for a timeframe on the line. Do it in a rnd pattern along the line.
  • - blind : use smoke, use it depending on what you want to accomplish. Pro tip: mix in HE Shells after first Somkes detonated for maximum blind effect.
  • Creeping barage: calculate 2 Points, Bearing Starting Point (SP) - Bearing Realse Point (RP) = Bearing Distance, Bearing Distance divided by desired distance between splashes = Bearing per Splash (BS) => Do Same for Elevation. Then you know how much to move per grouping till you reach your RP. This will create a creeping barage of death.

I hope this helps you,

best aim!

Love to see the ingenuity there Somelike!!! I love having mortar support when its done with this kind of thinking process

5 hours ago, Somelike said:

I usually calculate the targets my self while i do the logi runs to keep the base going. Thats one major part of Mortar-fobing: Built the FOB as close to the Mainbase as possible. Drive the Truck as SL or have one of the two gunners rearm themselfs.

There you go. If you want it done right, do it yourself mentality. I do the same when setting up mortars that is calculations, corrections and logi runs all by myself.  

+1 

but unfortunately doesn't address the actual problem that a vast majority of players on squad don't volunteer to do continuous supply runs.

Yeah guys, if the team does not support each other there is no way to win. 
However I do have the feeling a lot has got to do with the SLs. When they work toghether the game is going well, then in turn the boys will do anything to win.

I think the "majority" you are reffering to are all the new guys flooding the game after every sale.

On 03/08/2018 at 9:05 AM, Somelike said:

Yeah guys, if the team does not support each other there is no way to win. 
However I do have the feeling a lot has got to do with the SLs. When they work toghether the game is going well, then in turn the boys will do anything to win.

I think the "majority" you are reffering to are all the new guys flooding the game after every sale.

Yes I usually have a bit of dread when a pub player does a mortar! 

Most of the time they have 9 guys sitting a mortar fob in the middle of nowhere useful mortaring in the wrong place or mortaring friendly’s 

but if someone is good on the mortar I’ll use them all day long! A good mortar can be game winning 

You have to understand that the community on the forums is like 10% of the squad playerbase pretty much.