Location Karbala, Iraq

Timeframe March 2003

Size   2 Km

Teams USMC   vs   Iraqi Freedom fighters

Gameplay Insurgency

Release Mid 2019

Status Pre-production/blockout

Introduction

This map will be a partial port of the original Project Reality map "Karbala" by pr Dev "~KILL~Pirate"

It features the original heightmap from PR and some of the origina remodeled buildings. The layout will be 90% the same.

It will be a 50%/50% mix between original Pr buildings and new buildings i designed.

The only reason i will add some of the classic Pr buildings like the house-of-pain and similar is for pure nostalgia.

Gameplay

I personally favor Insurgency as game mode. I find the asymmetric warfare  component of INS the most interesting.

I feel its more competitive than AAS and gives a genuine sandbox feeling (go anywhere and do cool stuff).

For INS it is fun to run around and defend and the USMC need actual teamwork among squad leaders to get results.

The insurgents will be king inside the dense city-centre, and CQB combat is favored with their iron sights

The marines will have an advantage on the city edges and the open parts of the map because of their optics and armor support.

The marines should not enter the city without any legitimate reason and doing so will be equal to suicide.

They might circle around the city, do small raids or have recon teams in or close to the city to gather intel.

Once the marines gathered enough Intel the squad-leaders should choose an entry stragety

into the city and plan the a siege on the cache. Tactics, teamwork and coordination on the

marines side will be preferred over a push-push slug-fest.

Harassment and guerrilla tactics will be preferred for the Iraqi Freedom fighters.

Design

Some building will be open others closed, i aim for the fighting to take place on the streets and in back alleys.

About 10% of the buildings will be open of entry. The main reason for this is that i feel it needs to take effort to go

enter a building, which it currently does not.  In a RL scenario a city under siege will be on lock down if a foreign army was to invade.

On the original Kokan in PR for example, all towns where like little fortresses which required teamwork within a squad to enter by using a breacher.

"Breacher, Breacher comming trough" "C4!!!! hold back!!" If a breacher class and small breaching explosives to blow doors

will be introduced i might consider making more buildings enter-able. 

All the buildings will be of similar height to the original Karbala map, 1-2-3-4 stories.

Progress

Currently i'm mainly designing new buildings to add to the map.

I try to photo-reference a lot of buildings and study what makes buildings look interesting.

I have come to the conclusion that there are 2 concept that work really well: Asymmetry and facade depth.

Modeling is a tedious and time consuming process and takes some serious dedication, i expect at least a year of development.

In the comming months i will focusing on doing block-outs.

Screenshots

A5RUDkJ.jpg

kJw0Aur.jpg

Gw1b3mB.jpg

Edited by SirrCharles

I am very pleased to hear that the layout is 90% the same. I wish that were true of other "remade" PR maps. In my opinion, Squad just has not replicated the sandbox vibe of insurgency found in PR. I hope classic Karbala can help.

Wow! Great to see this map in works! This will sure be epic project to finish. Looking great so far!

JVIeTB1.jpg

yJmb55A.jpg

A example of my design strategy, I try to make the builds asymmetric. 

So they will look different from any corner.

I did lend this style from the BF2 assets. I think it makes them look much more interesting and more reusable.

It gives the assets much more dept and a sence of "very 3d" instead of flat facading on a cube.

You can use the same building 4 times in a row 90 deg rotated and you wont notice the repetition.

Edited by SirrCharles

Have you asked Pirate or the PR devs if this is ok with them? Specifically because of this:

23 hours ago, SirrCharles said:

It features the original heightmap from PR and some of the origina remodeled buildings. The layout will be 90% the same.

It will be a 50%/50% mix between original Pr buildings and new buildings i designed.

Edited by Psyrus

4 hours ago, Psyrus said:

Have you asked Pirate or the PR devs if this is ok with them? Specifically because of this:

^ChanceBrahh had this problem as'well. It would be considered copyright if you use the same bldgs. as in PR or BF2.

6 minutes ago, WarEagle751 said:

^ChanceBrahh had this problem as'well. It would be considered copyright if you use the same bldgs. as in PR or BF2.

And it's just good manners (and appreciated by the pr team) to ask if it's alright to copy things directly. 

If it was like sarau which is just inspired by kashan but not a 1:1 copy then no credit or request is needed 

9 hours ago, WarEagle751 said:

SirrCharles changed the building, though, so isn't this "new work"?

1 hour ago, wingman9 said:

SirrCharles changed the building, though, so isn't this "new work"?

He's adding both PR/BF2 bldgs and his own.