Djnemoson

How I Manifested Hate for This Game in Seconds

(I don't really know if this is where this goes so I'm sorry in advance for the Mods if it is incorrect)

Hello, my name is Nicholas or Dj, I just had one of the worst gaming experiences in my entire life and this is how it went...

So here I am, going into this game with some good expectations, many people I've spoken to praise this game, Squad. I played two okay games before this one I am about to speak of, and I didn't speak because I wanted to see how people communicated with each other and what happened in the real game. So, I joined this server mid-game, into this squad and I noticed immediately that it had structure, direction, people knew what to do, and with a lot of excellent communication. It took me a little while to spawn and run up to these fine gentleman, I finally caught up to four of them and began to move towards the objective assigned by our squad leader. While on our way, some enemies where in our path and a firefight ensued, a squadmate went down and there was a bit of a scramble. As I was watching everyone, seeing the medic get our downed squadmate up. I see a figure of a person cresting the hill... **THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART** I proceeded to look at said figure for a moment and then proceeded to fire upon this individual. Unbeknownst to me, I was firing upon my Squad Leader; since this just happened I remember so clearly that there was no nametag or any other indication as to the identity of my squad leader. Only after the fact, after I killed him, that the game told me I team killed my squad leader. I just put my hands on my face as I heard my Squad leader question who it was, he called on me and before I began to speak I was kicked from the squad. As I sat in my chair, looking at my screen, I thought to myself, 'I can't play this game'... I didn't get to apologize to him so if my squad leader Rugby sees this I'm sorry I killed you, I just didn't see the name tag because it wasn't there...

This experience caused me to regrettably refund my game to steam and made me angry that something I trusted to worked failed me. I understand that this game is in Early Access for a reason, I thought I can handle it but as it turns out I couldn't. I made this post this long because I think context is the most important part of any story, even to one that purports a possible glitch.

Again, I have been Nicholas, and I look forward to when this game is released when I'll give it another try.

16 minutes ago, Djnemoson said:

I was firing upon my Squad Leader; since this just happened I remember so clearly that there was no nametag or any other indication as to the identity of my squad leader.

:D

still can't believe this topic is actually real but anyway, as for indications, how about the appereance of the character model?

Edited by FIXXXER

14 minutes ago, Djnemoson said:

(I don't really know if this is where this goes so I'm sorry in advance for the Mods if it is incorrect)

Hello, my name is Nicholas or Dj, I just had one of the worst gaming experiences in my entire life and this is how it went...

So here I am, going into this game with some good expectations, many people I've spoken to praise this game, Squad. I played two okay games before this one I am about to speak of, and I didn't speak because I wanted to see how people communicated with each other and what happened in the real game. So, I joined this server mid-game, into this squad and I noticed immediately that it had structure, direction, people knew what to do, and with a lot of excellent communication. It took me a little while to spawn and run up to these fine gentleman, I finally caught up to four of them and began to move towards the objective assigned by our squad leader. While on our way, some enemies where in our path and a firefight ensued, a squadmate went down and there was a bit of a scramble. As I was watching everyone, seeing the medic get our downed squadmate up. I see a figure of a person cresting the hill... **THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART** I proceeded to look at said figure for a moment and then proceeded to fire upon this individual. Unbeknownst to me, I was firing upon my Squad Leader; since this just happened I remember so clearly that there was no nametag or any other indication as to the identity of my squad leader. Only after the fact, after I killed him, that the game told me I team killed my squad leader. I just put my hands on my face as I heard my Squad leader question who it was, he called on me and before I began to speak I was kicked from the squad. As I sat in my chair, looking at my screen, I thought to myself, 'I can't play this game'... I didn't get to apologize to him so if my squad leader Rugby sees this I'm sorry I killed you, I just didn't see the name tag because it wasn't there...

This experience caused me to regrettably refund my game to steam and made me angry that something I trusted to worked failed me. I understand that this game is in Early Access for a reason, I thought I can handle it but as it turns out I couldn't. I made this post this long because I think context is the most important part of any story, even to one that purports a possible glitch.

Again, I have been Nicholas, and I look forward to when this game is released when I'll give it another try.

Very nice story man , truly discribes the squad expiernce B|

As for the teamkill... Name tags are a huge controversy in the game ... Some people like them and some people ( like me ) would like to have them completly removed , beacuse a huge part of squad ( as it was back in Project reality ) is target distinguishing via the minimap and if you are good enough also through unifom and gear ( you are not suppost to auto-shoot everything that hasn't got a name tag above it ).

Also the lean bug where nametags fade out...not helping

43 minutes ago, FIXXXER said:

still can't believe this topic is actually real but anyway, as for indications, how about the appereance of the character model?

And by opening your map you would have seen a friendly marker at that position...:D

Good story thou...

Ah, where to begin ? Apparently the "many people that you spoke to who were praising the game" failed to inform you that Squad is different than other games by design. The devs have tried (& succeeded) in making a more realistic feeling game than your run of the mill shooters hence the minimal HUD display etc, etc, etc. "The uniforms look the same" is no excuse. This just means you have to exercise a little more caution when deciding weather to fire on someone or not. Can you imagine what would happen if soldiers in real life immediately opened fire on anything that moved near them like you did when your squad leader came over the hill in front of you? Obviously accidents happen & I doubt there's any Squad veterans out there (including myself) who have never TK'd someone but you have to work hard & learn quickly to make sure you don't get lumped in with the other segment of TKers, those who just don't care. I am personally so tired of getting TK'd by Squad noobs (and even some veterans) using the excuse "your tags didn't show up". In-game nametags aren't there so people don't shoot team mates. They're there so you can see who the people near you are(squadmate/teammate/medic/your buddy on discord & so on). The time it takes a nametag to "pop up" is much too slow to be used as a "enemy identifier tool". Learning to use your map to maintain situational awareness at all times is the best way to keep track of where squad mates & team mates are in relation to your position. I am constantly opening my map to update friendlies positions around me so I know that if I encounter someone right around the next corner It's not friendly & I can feel confident in lighting them up. I personally would rather take a death because I wasn't sure than TK someone but some players out there just don't care if they teamkill people or about camaraderie or good sportsmanship. They just shoot first & ask questions later. These are the guys you see in chat placing the blame on the victim by saying things like "you scared me, "there were enemies over there" "well you shouldn't have been where I was shooting" & our favorite of all "your name didn't show up". And you can tell they don't really care because when you say something about it like "dude, what the hell" they respond with comments like "bro, you're so angry" & "don't be so uptight about it" instead of "sorry man, my bad"' almost as if it was our fault & we're supposed to be happy about playing with inconsiderate douchebags like them. What they should be saying is "I'm sorry. I'm to inconsiderate of other players to take the time to learn to use my map & verify my targets properly BEFORE firing". It is up to you to prevent friendly fire. That is why your SL kicked you from the squad & why I don't blame him & would probably have done the same thing. Many of us are very competitive gamers & in the heat of an intense firefight getting TK'd by someone who just doesn't care enough to make sure hes firing at enemies can cause a volatile reaction. Its unfortunate that this incident caused you so much inner turmoil you felt compelled to create a thread about how much hate you have manifested for Squad. The majority of the Squad community really is a great bunch of guys. Hopefully you'll come back & play with us again (& bring your map)

Edited by Sgt_Dogface

OP, please don't be discouraged! I have team killed a few times over when I was new in the daze of large fire fights or a few grenades that were a little too close, and my SLs NEVER kicked me for it, though I was always quick to apologize and explain it was an accident and that I was new. Do not let some a-hole SL or someone who was quick to judge deter you from this game.

You just have to stick with it and give the game, and the community, time. Most SLs will understand your mistakes and learning curves, but you also have to understand that most SLs have to deal with people who kill us on purpose because they can so they probably just assumed that's what happened. For them, it gets really, really frustrating.

2 hours ago, FIXXXER said:

To new players, some times they react quicker than they should which is understandable because they ARE new and they need time to adjust from what they know, and a lot of the times the models are often times way too similar to enemy models (Russian-Americans, anyone?), especially at great distances. This is not to say they shouldn't learn to not shoot immediately or to not learn to adjust or anything, but that you should understand that as new players who probably never played a game like this before, they need help, guidance and patience.

To imply that it is impossible to confuse this to make this mistake or something is so condescending and elitist it is beyond obnoxious. It is like the attitude of Xbox 13yr boys. Instead of acting this way, give him some advice, try to help him so that he doesn't make the same mistakes again.

Edited by Root

2 hours ago, L0cation said:

Very nice story man , truly discribes the squad expiernce B|

As for the teamkill... Name tags are a huge controversy in the game ... Some people like them and some people ( like me ) would like to have them completly removed , beacuse a huge part of squad ( as it was back in Project reality ) is target distinguishing via the minimap and if you are good enough also through unifom and gear ( you are not suppost to auto-shoot everything that hasn't got a name tag above it ).

I'm happy I received the Squad experience in a matter of an hour, and to see responses like this makes me feel ignorant. I like my story as well. Based on your answer I would be in favor of not having the tags at all if it was like that in the beginning as in Project Reality. This makes me think of another reason why I can't play this game for right now, but I don't think I have the right to say my opinion because I'm ignorant af. Thank you for your time and response!

1 hour ago, Sgt_Dogface said:

Ah, where to begin ? Apparently the "many people that you spoke to who were praising the game" failed to inform you that Squad is different than other games by design. The devs have tried (& succeeded) in making a more realistic feeling game than your run of the mill shooters hence the minimal HUD display etc, etc, etc. "The uniforms look the same" is no excuse. This just means you have to exercise a little more caution when deciding weather to fire on someone or not. Can you imagine what would happen if soldiers in real life immediately opened fire on anything that moved near them like you did when your squad leader came over the hill in front of you? Obviously accidents happen & I doubt there's any Squad veterans out there (including myself) who have never TK'd someone but you have to work hard & learn quickly to make sure you don't get lumped in with the other segment of TKers, those who just don't care. I am personally so tired of getting TK'd by Squad noobs (and even some veterans) using the excuse "your tags didn't show up". In-game nametags aren't there so people don't shoot team mates. They're there so you can see who the people near you are(squadmate/teammate/medic/your buddy on discord & so on). The time it takes a nametag to "pop up" is much too slow to be used as a "enemy identifier tool". Learning to use your map to maintain situational awareness at all times is the best way to keep track of where squad mates & team mates are in relation to your position. I am constantly opening my map to update friendlies positions around me so I know that if I encounter someone right around the next corner It's not friendly & I can feel confident in lighting them up. I personally would rather take a death because I wasn't sure than TK someone but some players out there just don't care if they teamkill people or about camaraderie or good sportsmanship. They just shoot first & ask questions later. These are the guys you see in chat placing the blame on the victim by saying things like "you scared me, "there were enemies over there" "well you shouldn't have been where I was shooting" & our favorite of all "your name didn't show up". And you can tell they don't really care because when you say something about it like "dude, what the hell" they respond with comments like "bro, you're so angry" & "don't be so uptight about it" instead of "sorry man, my bad"' almost as if it was our fault & we're supposed to be happy about playing with inconsiderate douchebags like them. What they should be saying is "I'm sorry. I'm to inconsiderate of other players to take the time to learn to use my map & verify my targets properly BEFORE firing". It is up to you to prevent friendly fire. That is why your SL kicked you from the squad & why I don't blame him & would probably have done the same thing. Many of us are very competitive gamers & in the heat of an intense firefight getting TK'd by someone who just doesn't care enough to make sure hes firing at enemies can cause a volatile reaction. Its unfortunate that this incident caused you so much inner turmoil you felt compelled to create a thread about how much hate you have manifested for Squad. The majority of the Squad community really is a great bunch of guys. Hopefully you'll come back & play with us again (& bring your map)

First off, thank you for your response and the to write, I appreciate it. This is my second time writing this so hopefully, it saves...

I understand this game is different in many aspects, I usually pick up on the differences and do decent in many games but I didn't give myself that time and decided to stop playing because I don't what to go through that experience again. This is my mistake because I'm ignorant.

You use the example of the real military firing at everything that moves, in my opinion, comparisons of Squad and the real world should not be compared. I understand your point, I see it in all parts of your paragraph, use your map to identify everybody so teamkilling doesn't happen to you and to have spatial awareness. However, I see the tags above players heads and the use of the map in situations similar to the one I shared as the same mechanic. The map is just a tag that happens to be on a map layout, I'm just mad that I used a tag (or lack thereof) to identify my squad leader. If I'm supposed to use the map, why are there even tags in the first place? And if I wanted to compare this to real life, which is a terrible idea, it would be... How in the military they don't have a map that tells exactly where people are on the squad but in Squad the map tells you the players name, direction, and location, as well as objectives instantaneously at the push of a button. It's not the same and hopefully my point come accross here. If I HAVE to use the map, I want it to be like a real map and not like it is now. This also includes the removal of the tags completely. And because of this, I might not come back.

Tbh, I would have kicked me too, I should have looked at the map which from what I gather is the only thing that tells you anything.

Thanks again for taking your time to respond on this thread. 

1 hour ago, Root said:

OP, please don't be discouraged! I have team killed a few times over when I was new in the daze of large fire fights or a few grenades that were a little too close, and my SLs NEVER kicked me for it, though I was always quick to apologize and explain it was an accident and that I was new. Do not let some a-hole SL or someone who was quick to judge deter you from this game.

You just have to stick with it and give the game, and the community, time. Most SLs will understand your mistakes and learning curves, but you also have to understand that most SLs have to deal with people who kill us on purpose because they can so they probably just assumed that's what happened. For them, it gets really, really frustrating.

Thank you for your encouragment, I really appreciate it. I understand fully the deal with those who kill just to piss people off. In my case kicking me was not unfounded. I don't think I will be coming back anytime soon, because of the whole tag vs. map thing, but thanks for taking your time and responding on this thread and giving your 2 cents on the matter.

4 minutes ago, Djnemoson said:

And because of this, I might not come back.

Ah well, squad isn't for everyone. At least you gave it a try!

If you do ever come back, the way to make your experience much smoother:

*** As soon as you join the squad, announce that you're new to the game and ask everyone to go easy on you. ***

9/10 times your SL and squad mates will take a totally different approach to you than if you just stayed silent to:

4 hours ago, Djnemoson said:

see how people communicated with each other and what happened in the real game.

That was basically your only real mistake. I wouldn't blame you for TKs... people with thousands of hours still TK sometimes. The game is all about communication, so announce you're new, and immediately apologize if you TK someone, and you'll be fine. 

Oh and now you know the SL can kick people from the squad, so definitely listen to their orders if you enjoy the way they lead. I have squad lead for years and I'll tell you, it's much more stressful than it seems... you're juggling two totally separate communication channels (3 if you count local chat), trying to micromanage your squad because 50% of the time people don't follow orders properly, while trying to macro with keeping enough spawn points up for the squad and team, all while making sure that the squad is making a positive impact on the game. So cut them some slack when they freak out over something trivial like being shot in the face by their squad member when the medic is down and their rally got overrun :P

4 hours ago, Djnemoson said:

*snip*

Situational awareness isn't reading a player tag to determine friendly status.  Kit (the gear the dudes wearing) and Map markers tell you everything you need to know.  Regardless, shit happens.  Especially in this game.  Cheers mate, it just isn't the game for you.  No harm, no foul

Edited by Bash

This game revolves around player interaction, and if you let one salty SL deter you completely, you won't enjoy it at all. Squad can be a seriously rewarding game and winning a match with a good squad is so very satisfying. Don't let one bad experience form your entire opinion on the game.

Got to admit I'd be pretty salty if a player looked me square in the face for a good handful of seconds and

1) I hadn't shot them

2) I'm wearing the same uniform as them

And they then proceeded to hose me down! 

Squad is a semi-sim game and its helpful to have watched a few gameplay videos before diving in so you, at least, know friend from foe from within 10m lol! 

However the key to take away from this for the OP is:

1) YOU WEREN'T VERBALLY ABUSED (far worse could have happened than being kicked!!)

2) Being kicked was fitting punishment as you hadn't even introduced yourself on squad chat before proceeding to hose your SL down

3) Go watch some gameplay videos

4) Spend a good hour in the Shooting Range to practice weapons, vehicles & roles

5) Get back in and try again

6) SAY HELLO AND TELL THEM YOU'RE NEW SO THEY DON'T TAKE YOU FOR A RANDOM TROLL

I mean, this thread is a pretty good example of why I'd love to see nametags removed/nerfed. ^_^

11 hours ago, Root said:

To new players, some times they react quicker than they should which is understandable because they ARE new and they need time to adjust from what they know, and a lot of the times the models are often times way too similar to enemy models (Russian-Americans, anyone?), especially at great distances. This is not to say they shouldn't learn to not shoot immediately or to not learn to adjust or anything, but that you should understand that as new players who probably never played a game like this before, they need help, guidance and patience.

To imply that it is impossible to confuse this to make this mistake or something is so condescending and elitist it is beyond obnoxious. It is like the attitude of Xbox 13yr boys. Instead of acting this way, give him some advice, try to help him so that he doesn't make the same mistakes again.

isn't it childish to instantly "manifest hate" for a game where he made one bad experience,

saying that the game sucks and that the problem is anywhere but not with him.

i did not say that it's impossible to confuse "unoforms" but you must be extremely unaware and uninterested

in the first place for this to happen!

it also does not matter if you are new to this game or any game, unless the player is colorblind it should not be a big deal dstinguishing GREEN from BEIGE/BROWN!

i also understand that on some maps the russians look indeed very close to americans, but if you pay any attention it should not be a problem at all, a teamkill can happen if you are new or/and unaware, so what, this happened to me aswell but i did not dramtically blame the game for my own inability.

Edited by FIXXXER

Any games based on communication will have his parts of un cool communication like you had.

You should be happy because i have been kick and i kicked people for less than what you did.

Once I was doing all jobs and got kicked by some retards. I felt really bad, I went back teamkilling them. I felt even worst for acting as much as a kid as they did.

But that's life.

Edited by Bonnie Money

"...worst gaming experiences in my entire life...."

Quite new to the internet and MMO gaming in general are you? Hate to point out but load up something like World of Tanks and end up crying into your lap at the helplessness and uselessness of all existence within an hour due to how childish, self-fornicating and pathetic "teams" are in 85% of the matches in that game! haha!

(and still wondering how I can get rid of my WG account in a worthwhile way)

Edited by Quinch

The truth is that shit happens.

You teamkilled the SL, shit happens.

The SL kicked you, shit happens.

If your attitude is to giveup every time shit happens , well ...

Edited by El Pube

27 minutes ago, Quinch said:

"...worst gaming experiences in my entire life...."

Quite new to the internet and MMO gaming in general are you? Hate to point out but load up something like World of Tanks and end up crying into your lap at the helplessness and uselessness of all existence within an hour due to how childish, self-fornicating and pathetic "teams" are in 85% of the matches in that game! haha!

(and still wondering how I can get rid of my WG account in a worthwhile way)

Soooooo true ;-)

Dont get worked up my friend i am sorry to hear its your worst xp ever.But dont get worked up.Some of us on here actually know how to distinguishing uniforms in a fraction of a sec or always open and close the map so you can see where frendlies are this is so important when you are in a vehicle.

My advice is dont get worried that much my friend you will get in a hang of it in a little while and then you will only tk guys with a bad nade.

And that SL guy sounds like he is no good at all a simple sorry works for me and most of us.We laugh it up wait for a medic or spwan again.

The only problem many have is USA ws Russian army in the desert maps becouse of uniforms similarity.

I wonder what will guys that are agains name tags say about no name tags on thous maps.

Edited by Bahrein

Best story yet! :D

Hey, it happens... best thing to do (with time) is to learn to not rely on nametags (PID by uniform). Try playing with your HUD disabled - now we're talking. 

2 hours ago, Bahrein said:

The only problem many have is USA ws Russian army in the desert maps becouse of uniforms similarity.

I wonder what will guys that are agains name tags say about no name tags on thous maps.

If they are far away, you have a magic map telling you the location of every single friendly. If they are close, you have a mic to communicate who does what. No name tags would work just like on the rest of the maps. :D

(To clarify, I don't mind name tags showing up after staring at someone for a while. But it should be slower than any other means of identification because they are a crutch for people to rely on instead of proper communications. And right now they are presented as the go-to solution for identifying friendlies, and actually trying to tell the difference is the "advanced" method.  My point against tags is that in it's current form it's a mechanic that works against the theme of teamwork and communication. Additionally it's not even working properly, so people like OP end up suffering for it many times over. It's a bad experience for new players to set up an expectation with the tags, and then contradict it with cases like the one this thread is about.)

Edited by Aleon

I played with Rugby the other night on the Doctors Office server. He plays the game very serious which some people hate but I'd rather play with strict SL's than not. Just shrug it off, learn from it and play on.

I am Rugby. I am a generous and supple squad leader, and will extend an olive branch. PM me through here and I will purchase you the game that you so prematurely refunded, if you promise to spend the money on a Walmart microphone and join the game. After leading so many degenerate public squads I have become a toxic shell of my former self and want to see what it feels like to be human again. 

17 hours ago, Psyrus said:

That was basically your only real mistake. I wouldn't blame you for TKs... people with thousands of hours still TK sometimes. The game is all about communication, so announce you're new, and immediately apologize if you TK someone, and you'll be fine. 

Oh and now you know the SL can kick people from the squad, so definitely listen to their orders if you enjoy the way they lead. I have squad lead for years and I'll tell you, it's much more stressful than it seems... you're juggling two totally separate communication channels (3 if you count local chat), trying to micromanage your squad because 50% of the time people don't follow orders properly, while trying to macro with keeping enough spawn points up for the squad and team, all while making sure that the squad is making a positive impact on the game. So cut them some slack when they freak out over something trivial like being shot in the face by their squad member when the medic is down and their rally got overrun :P

Thanks for your response. I've realized my mistake and I will not do it again, and I'll announce that I'm new because that is important. I already figured SL can kick people so that didn't surprise me. I believe you, I'll cut all types of slack for those SL, that's a job I can never handle. I appreciate your insight, thx