Sign in to follow this  
Vega

Bought new pc...Terrible fps Need advice!

I recently purchased a new laptop (cannot get a desktop bc of current living situation).

i7 7700hq

8gb memory

gtx 1050ti

I haven’t had a pc in years and my FPS in this game is terrible. I keep my settings at medium only cinematic effects, no aa, and vsync on because of screen tearing.

Now with most other games the settings are always on high as default and I don’t have any issues.

If anyone could please give me some advice as to what I should do or change it would be greatly appreciated! I got a new gaming laptop for these games!! 

On 20/02/2018 at 5:22 AM, Vega said:

I recently purchased a new laptop (cannot get a desktop bc of current living situation).

i7 7700hq

8gb memory

gtx 1050ti

I haven’t had a pc in years and my FPS in this game is terrible. I keep my settings at medium only cinematic effects, no aa, and vsync on because of screen tearing.

Now with most other games the settings are always on high as default and I don’t have any issues.

If anyone could please give me some advice as to what I should do or change it would be greatly appreciated! I got a new gaming laptop for these games!! 

I would say an extra 8GB of RAM and ensure the full texture feature is off and you will be fine.

You should be good for 60fps in 1080p on that laptop.

On 2/20/2018 at 6:22 AM, Vega said:

i7 7700hq

Let me tell you this:

Laptops are extreme horrible performers, even an "high end" laptop i7 get its ass whooped by any AMD low end processor.

They have a range of thermal issues and have generally have inferior pcb design.

Personally i never ever use laptops exactly for this reason unless absolutely necessary (travel etc).

Privately i use an i7 2600k @ 4.8 ghz, 16 GB ram, SSD + RX480 8 GB.

Everything except GPU about my PC is about 7 years old and it will whoop any modern day laptop any day. A fine investment.

If your sole reason is gaming and not study/work i would return it to your retailer and start looking into a low end Ryzen 5 1600x or something.

I don't want to disappoint you with your recent buy, but such a laptop is just not gonna cut it for gaming period.

7 hours ago, SirrCharles said:

Let me tell you this:

Laptops are extreme horrible performers, even an "high end" laptop i7 get its ass whooped by any AMD low end processor.

They have a range of thermal issues and have generally have inferior pcb design.

Personally i never ever use laptops exactly for this reason unless absolutely necessary (travel etc).

Privately i use an i7 2600k @ 4.8 ghz, 16 GB ram, SSD + RX480 8 GB.

Everything except GPU about my PC is about 7 years old and it will whoop any modern day laptop any day. A fine investment.

If your sole reason is gaming and not study/work i would return it to your retailer and start looking into a low end Ryzen 5 1600x or something.

I don't want to disappoint you with your recent buy, but such a laptop is just not gonna cut it for gaming period.

Your points are valid mate, unless budget is not an issue and your happy spending around £2000 on a very high end gaming laptop - even then a decent desktop is better and price to performance is horrible.

But OP was very clear, they have to use a laptop re living situation.

I used a few decent gaming laptops in my time and I simply had to adjust my FPS expectations. I played about 500 hours of RUST at 40 fps on a laptop and had a blast. I wouldn't do it now of course but like OP, I had to have a laptop (I played in my office and at home and didn't want 2 systems re the money).

Thanks for the replies. Yes unfortunately I’m my situation I can’t have a desktop ATM. In the next year I plan on getting one that will be dedicated to gaming. 

So since that that is a year from now this will need to do for now.

im going to add another 8gb of ram for overall performance. I do play wow, arma 3,cs go all on ultra with no problem. 

1 hour ago, Vega said:

dropping to around 5 FPS when a firefight starts

Ok yeah that's definitely not normal! 

Couple of things I can think of... 

- System is not using your discrete graphics card and is instead using the Intel® HD Graphics 630 on the 7700hq.

- The laptop doesn't have an SSD and is paging a lot when lots of particle effects are required etc (or rapid movement happens on screen) which causes those stutters/frame drops while waiting for the data from the HDD

Could you monitor your performance stats in game and let us know which of the stats spikes higher when your FPS drop down (Frame, GPU, Game, Draw)? (You can see how I enabled it in this video)

I started up the game today and honestly my gameplay was smooth. I had the graphics turned down but decided to see what would happen if I switched them to epic. About 40 FPS.

I’m going to continue playing diff maps etc and hopefully it stays this way.

:D