H4ilToTheKing

CPU Under Utilized

I had another post about FPS loss, but being the root cause is under utilization it was clear a new post was required.

My CPU is only running, peak, 35% and average 28%.  Is this caused by:

1. Poor engine coding
  2. CPU heat issues (such as, more thermal past to help heat x-fer to lower heat).  My CPU currently runs steady at 58 c. 
  3. Windows 10 issue
  4. Old CPU (i7-3770k) that for some reason is limited to 35% CPU usage?
  5. Or something else I'm just not thinking of?
Edited by H4ilToTheKing

From what i know it has to do something with the engine .... And there are plenty of Extensive posts about this issue , so try to use the search function to find some answers .

Someone cried that truth hurt, edited message so someones feelings will not get hurt because they were wrong and ignorant.

Edit:
That is not true, my post is the only result from searches about CPU's being under utilized.

Edited by H4ilToTheKing

I have a i7 6700 and my buddy have the K version, both have the same result.

Utilizing, I understand, as in cores are "parked" but all four cores ARE being used, just at 30% which makes no sense as CPU's should be running as fast as they can unless something is wrong.  Like an old 1910 engine that just has on and off....or a light switch (non dimmer type).

1 hour ago, H4ilToTheKing said:

but all four cores ARE being used, just at 30%

is this due to HyperThreading?  - the splitting of load across all cores?

IDK, I'm a minor programmer myself, I cannot think of any reason that a program would only be limited to run at 40%...CPU *SHOULD* be running at 100% (as fast as they can) to get operations done.

At the core Unreal engine is about single core performance and GPU performance.

The cpu is often waiting for the gpu or chronological tasks.

Your cpu is more than adequate, a faster cpu is not worth the marginal benefit. 

I have to hit the sack for work in the am.  I'll look into parking all my cores and working up from single to quad and see how it does.

26 minutes ago, H4ilToTheKing said:

I have to hit the sack for work in the am.  I'll look into parking all my cores and working up from single to quad and see how it does.

Thanks, waiting for the results 9_9

13 hours ago, H4ilToTheKing said:

Can you quantify the problem?

What is your FPS?

What type of gpu do you have?

Do you have an SSD? 

How much memory do you have?

MSI H77-G43
i7-3770k
Kingston DDR3 1600 16GB RAMP
MSI 1060 6GB
Samsung 128 GB SSD

Same server, map, and full 80/80 players

4 core 8 thread (4c8t) 41 FPS
iMpt03U.png

3c6t 47 FPS
SUXsPNn.png

2c4t 44 FPS
s8Dbv8Y.png

1c2t wasn't even worth the SS, it was 14 fps.

the best FPS is 3c6t for some reason, I figured the dual core would be best, but it's better than quad core.

Now, as the SS show, this was an 80/80 server from the same spot in spawn.  I'll be playing with 3c6t for a while and will see how it handles in the middle of a fire fight.  Maybe the Quad core will give a consistent 41FPS and the 3c6t may dip below 41 during a battle...we'll see.

Edited by H4ilToTheKing
Embeded pictures.

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:12 PM, SirrCharles said:

Can you quantify the problem?

Yes, the problem is the game.  So me dropping $600 for a new system won't help being a quad core only runs at 40% speed the way it is, CPU isn't even being bottle necked.

20 hours ago, H4ilToTheKing said:

Yes, the problem is the game.  So me dropping $600 for a new system won't help being a quad core only runs at 40% speed the way it is, CPU isn't even being bottle necked.

What GPU do you have? It could also be a weak GPU. Your cpu is fine.

31 minutes ago, H4ilToTheKing said:

Read above....GTX 1060 6GB...as said.

i7-3770k is Gen2 IVY Bridge I believe.

May i know your clock speed? Do you run this CPU at stock clocks?

I use a i7 2600k (Sandy Bridge Q1 2011) but i have it overclocked to 4,5 GHz sometimes to 4,8.

My GPU is an RX480 8GB and 16GB RAM 

As far as i can tell your PC is superior to mine. 

I have :

45-65  FPS on Al Basrah with 51 on average. All settings high.

At some smaller maps i will sometimes get 80 FPS.

Personally i have no complaints, the game looks great and for me 50 fps is great.

Once my pc blue-screened and bios resets the clock speed to stock settings of 3,4 Ghz

and i started squad and it felt sluggish with low FPS like below 40. When i overclocked the CPU again everything went to smooth again.

My advice would be:

-Overclock your CPU it should go to a maximum of 4.7ish gHz you will get free performance.

-Do a fresh reinstall of windows.......... (Believe me a fresh install can do BIG wonders to your machine)

-Select XMP memory profile in bios

-Make sure turbo boost is on in bios.

-Disable hyper-threading in bios. (Optional).

-Make sure you have at least 32 GB free space on your SSD for your page file.

Edited by SirrCharles

That's not the point, the point is 60% of the CPU is being wasted by piss poor coding.

The only way over clocking will benefit was if I shut down two of my cores and max o'ced and risk hurting my CPU.  (Which shows you have to "abuse" your system to make the game run "properly").

Again, no point in sweating this games FPS when it's clearly a game coding issue.

We have to remember this game is not a finished product as it's an alpha. It still has performance/optimization passes to come. Let's also avoid remarks like ones list in the spoiler below. Please take the time to read the forum rules *click*

Spoiler

"You aren't one of those millennials that just thinks whatever you say is true just because it's you are you?"

"by piss poor coding"

With your issue, I'll pass this thread onto support.

12 hours ago, H4ilToTheKing said:

That's not the point, the point is 60% of the CPU is being wasted by piss poor coding.

The only way over clocking will benefit was if I shut down two of my cores and max o'ced and risk hurting my CPU.  (Which shows you have to "abuse" your system to make the game run "properly").

Again, no point in sweating this games FPS when it's clearly a game coding issue.

First of all why would you get an expensive i7-K processor if you are not going to overclock it to get free performance?

The whole point of an K edition is that you can extend its life especially for games.

If you overclock a cpu and keep thermals and voltages down it wont hurt your processor. 

Secondly a CPU is NOT like a CAR-engine, its working together with your GPU and they waiting for each other to preform tasks.

If one of the components is 2 slow the other cannot be fully utilized, the slower your card the more the CPU will be waiting

for the GPU thus lower CPU utilization. 

See you-tube video below:

You can clearly see that a lowerend GPU will result in lower CPU utilization. 

The fact remains that i have an inferior pc to yours but i have superior performance period.

I highly recommend you follow my advise for better FPS.

My advice would be:

-Overclock your CPU it should go to a maximum of 4.7ish gHz you will get free performance.

-Do a fresh reinstall of windows.......... (Believe me a fresh install can do BIG wonders to your machine)

-Select XMP memory profile in BIOS. (often disabled by default and memory is running on 1300 mhZ)

-Make sure turbo boost is on in BIOS.

-Make sure you have at least 32 GB free space on your SSD for your page file.

Edited by SirrCharles

On 20.2.2018 at 7:21 AM, H4ilToTheKing said:

I had another post about FPS loss, but being the root cause is under utilization it was clear a new post was required.

My CPU is only running, peak, 35% and average 28%.  Is this caused by:

1. Piss poor engine coding
  2. CPU heat issues (such as, more thermal past to help heat x-fer to lower heat).  My CPU currently runs steady at 58 c. 
  3. Windows 10 issue
  4. Old CPU (i7-3770k) that for some reason is limited to 35% CPU usage?
  5. Or something else I'm just not thinking of?

http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/27568-low-fps-not-reflective-of-hardware/?do=findComment&comment=293819

Different url to my picture link there but what i spoke on that thread is still same fact.

Edit.

And if your Total Cpu usage get 100%, you cant even move mouse pointer, screen also get jammed.. becouse Cpu has no time to update even those and Windows is jammed until load decreases.

Edited by Hiikeri

7 hours ago, SirrCharles said:

Should i disable hyper-threading for Squad or in general?

2 hours ago, Lio said:

Should i disable hyper-threading for Squad or in general?

It depends on the game, in quite a few games hyper threading off will give you extra FPS.

I personally have HT on because of multitasking and other workloads,

but if you want to squeeze out some extra FPS in some titles turn it off.

Edited by SirrCharles

11 hours ago, SirrCharles said:

It depends on the game, in quite a few games hyper threading off will give you extra FPS.

I personally have HT on because of multitasking and other workloads,

but if you want to squeeze out some extra FPS in some titles turn it off.

So in Squad like PUBG its OFF, for what i see. And temps will go down too, which is amazing, my i7 4770k runs pretty hot sometimes

Posted (edited)
On 20.2.2018 at 7:21 AM, H4ilToTheKing said:

My CPU is only running, peak, 35% and average 28%.

CPU Total usage is different than maximum single core usage. Total usage is pointless.

On this my Killing Floor 2 video you can see that my Total usage is ~30%, BUT, some of core usage hits ~90% usage barrier (it show highest single core usage).

So on that game my pc is not cpu bottlenecked. If some of core ever hits over 95% usage then its cpu bottlenecked becouse OS decrease that core usage and it deliver its load to another core (it takes cycles=time > fps drops).

And my cpu is fixed i7-7700K @ 5400Mhz (+4000Mhz RAM).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZNjeRbubPg

Edited by Hiikeri