Ah, thanks for the reply! Also, the link is not working for me. Can I get an invite to your page on Discord?

Posted (edited)

Its a bit of a different beast then some of the other Squad maps. Most engines are not very good with mountain terrains and Unreal is not different. So i'm investing into some Statics to get cliffs and ledges and looking into distance rendering tech. When you can sit on a mountain top and see the whole valley, geo and LOD start to become an issue.  It could be a fog layer or something else. 

While I haven't played any game layers the map is huge. Not so much because its 4km but more because the whole thing is basically hills. And with the real area data being used there is not much in the terms of roads. So this is another feature I woulds like to improve: Creating walk able paths, choke points, and a lot of Point of interests. 

Hopefully helicopters/transport will be a major role as well as bringing those down will be a fun role.

Edited by CodeRedFox

3 hours ago, CodeRedFox said:

Very nice work man ! Would be interested to see how a more linear type of map would play out :P .

Let's just hope that 1km width would be enough to provide opportunities for flanks and other tactics , and not only a spray n' pray at one objective gang-bang party B| .

AHHHHH wow this is insane!

I am a huge fan of the 2 Documentaries (Restrepo and Korrengal) would be awesome too see this it looks awesome man!

Mappers take notes ;)

Hopefully there will not be a possibility to easily traverse this heavy terrain. But thats not your work CodeRedFox, that needs to be a game mechanic where it doesn't allow us to climb steep slopes/hills.

10/10 

2 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

Mappers take notes ;)

Hopefully there will not be a possibility to easily traverse this heavy terrain.

Agreed. Maps benefit from impassable terrain. One shouldn't be able to walk in any direction, like in new Basrah.

This looks great man. I can recognize so much from some of the documentaries about Korengal out there. It's still WIP I can see, but it already looks very true to the actual area. Keep at it, can't wait to play this (especially on insurgency mode)!

On 4/22/2018 at 8:39 PM, LaughingJack said:

is there only the one road through the entire map?

Currently yes.

looking nice, keep it up man can't wait to get a taste from this wonderful map!