Lio

[Solved] Squad Freezes

My Squad is constantly freezing for a sec, it seems like its going to crash, really annoying!

My Specs:

i7 4770K(oc'd to 4.1Ghz)

GTX 970

16Gb-Ram

SSD

What i tried: Clear Cache, Clean Installation of Squad, Borderless, Close Afterburner, Uninstall and Install latest GPU Drivers...

Have had this happen a few times, 2-3 times over the course of 1-2 weeks, so not that bad. Looks like Squad has crashed, but a few seconds later its running again and you're still in game, and lucky if you didn't get shot in the meanwhile. Looks like a lag spike of a good few seconds.

Hardware for completeness:

i7 4770

GTX 1060 6GB
16 GB 2400MHz DDR
SSD

I've noted that if I attempt to Alt+TAB whilst either a map is loading etc Squad will completely lock up, I can't even access task manager as Squad falls back into windowed mode but won't allow any windows to overlay it (so I can't even see the task manager window for example). Luckily all I have to do is Log Out of that profile on my PC and that shuts down any open software. 

Its a pain but ... game is Alpha still and it runs really well on my (what I feel) is only a mid-range machine (i5-6400, 1060 3Gb, 8Gb DDR4 2333mhz RAM). When I'm in game it defaults the the highest graphical and audio settings. Perhaps I'll get better overall performance and this issue won't happen if I downgrade my settings? 

Well, it seems turning off the "Pre-Load Textures" have solved the problem for me, still need more play time to confirm it.

Special thanks to @samwiseOrigin that helped me out on Squad Discord :)

1 hour ago, Quinch said:

I've noted that if I attempt to Alt+TAB whilst either a map is loading etc Squad will completely lock up, I can't even access task manager as Squad falls back into windowed mode but won't allow any windows to overlay it (so I can't even see the task manager window for example). Luckily all I have to do is Log Out of that profile on my PC and that shuts down any open software. 

Its a pain but ... game is Alpha still and it runs really well on my (what I feel) is only a mid-range machine (i5-6400, 1060 3Gb, 8Gb DDR4 2333mhz RAM). When I'm in game it defaults the the highest graphical and audio settings. Perhaps I'll get better overall performance and this issue won't happen if I downgrade my settings? 

Happens the same to me if i Alt+Tab when the game is loading or launching, i have to restart my pc, lowering down will not solve this as i play almost everything on the lowest.

8 hours ago, Lio said:

if i Alt+Tab when the game is loading or launching

so, don't ... ?

this is not uncommon, it's something i've had happen in a few games over the years - some games just don't like alt-tabbing.

2 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

so, don't ... ?

this is not uncommon, it's something i've had happen in a few games over the years - some games just don't like alt-tabbing.

I know, i dont do it anymore, i was just saying Quinch that different  graphical settings dont avoid that

If you want to alt-tab, turning the display setting in the game to "borderless windowed" should allow you to do it without the game crashing.

19 hours ago, Quinch said:

I thought it was just me. If you hit Control+Shift+Escape it will instantly bring up the Task Manager. Hit the down arrow twice and then push your Delete button. That's if you accidentally alt+tab or w/e.

9 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

so, don't ... ?

If the game didn't attempt to wait until the next harvest moon every time it booted up then we'd be alright.

Solved:

settings - graphics:

pre-load textures OFF