SL1NQY

Website redesign exercise

Hello,

First of all, Alpha 10 is great! Awesome work from the Squad dev team. Enjoying it a lot.

I have made a redesign of the joinsquad.com website. I am a frontend developer by profession and recently started getting into visual/graphic design. This is only an exercise for me to learn more about layout, graphic design and information design. I have only redone the start-page of joinsquad.com but I wanted to get some constructive feedback already since I feel that is the best way to grow learn and proceed with the exercise.

FYI. The exploration of visual identity is also something that is new ground for me. So I am trying to align it with that direction Squad already have. But still I'm exploring different options here as well.

Desktop layout.

https://i.imgur.com/x47uXQx.png

Smartphone portrait layout.

https://i.imgur.com/ivm2FS2.png

So anyone feel free to comment and let me know what you think. I will probably not reply on un-constructive feedback.

I also have an idea for a online tool for the community. But I will probably create another thread for that.

FYI. Credits to the Icon designer Vincent Le Moign. (http://www.webalys.com) (found them on Smashing Magazine freebie section https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2017/05/free-geometric-ui-icons-ego/)

Thanks for reading/viewing!

Edited by SL1NQY
Added icon credits

I personally like the current website's top half (jumbotron carousel and Communicate/Coordinate/Conquer part) better, but much prefer your bottom half with the news updates and footer. The haphazard nature of the current website's updates archive list just looks messy, especially now that the Feb 12 & Feb 5th have the same background. 

I do like your simplistic/clean touch to the layout, although I feel like it loses a bit of the "gaming" feel with the "bootstrappy" layout of the 3 icons in the about section and the plain white top area. 

Edit: This is what I'm talking about in the updates section

i1SyKfAhRbCcPVYnI2MbBQ.png

Edited by Psyrus

Thank you for your feedback @Psyrus. I appreciate you taking the time of answering on my post.

6 hours ago, Psyrus said:

The haphazard nature of the current website's updates archive list just looks messy, especially now that the Feb 12 & Feb 5th have the same background.

Agree. The backgrounds are a bit misleading to me since they do not follow thru to the actual post. So I felt a stronger and unique image was maybe the right way to go. Something that is then later presented on the actual post page. I do feel the need of a strong "poster image" for a post. Since they can be used as a good communication tool when sharing a post on social networks or on chat apps.

I also noticed that they are prefixing all of their updates to different things. Like "Announcement", "Release" and "Event" to name a few. So I went with some filter buttons so you could potentially filter thru all the posts. This to me adds better exploration value to a website.

6 hours ago, Psyrus said:

I do like your simplistic/clean touch to the layout, although I feel like it loses a bit of the "gaming" feel with the "bootstrappy" layout of the 3 icons in the about section and the plain white top area.

Yes, the simplistic and clean touch is something of a personal preference of mine. I was trying not to end up to close to the "bootstrappy" style. But since I use very similar buttons as they have in their styles and the 3 icons layout, might be getting too close. The layout is based on their 12 column layout model with 30px gaps and container margins. Maybe this is something that I need to look closer at. Maybe moving away from that layout could help reduce the "bootstrappy" style. Food for thought.

I'm trying to understand the "gaming" feel you are mentioning. Could you elaborate on that? (What makes a website have more of a "gaming" feel to it?)