Ep1cOblivion

Will we see jets in the future?

Howdy boys. Simple question lingering on my mind after dropping back to PR to check out 1.5. Now i know that maps aren't big enough in the games current state, but will more be implemented? With squad, the sky is really the limit, especially with the addition of mod support. So i guess im looking for a definitive answer. Will bigger maps be implemented, and will jets/CAS be added? Thanks.

Depends on where you look and who you ask. Recently it's been "not for a long time" though, but the image below is from the kick starter:

airvehicletypes.jpg

Even though this is on the kick-starter page, so they technically promised it, lots of people flat up say no. I think that's a bad mindset to have. I'd say more like "in due time...."

I think you can count on two things certainly:

1. If OWI doesn't do it, people will mod it in

2. Regardless of how they enter the game, it won't be for a looooong time (especially at the current rate things are taking)

Basically if you're itching to fly fixed wing in Squad anytime soon, you're out of luck. Hopefully it won't be like that for rotary wing! (sorry heli biased lol)

There's a "few more" things promised from Kickstarter... And its not looking good (we also lost a HUMVEE in recent time). Time will tell. The project leader still got time to do it right.

Edited by Rainmaker

I'm 99% sure we will. The question is, will it be modders or developers who create them.

fully aware of the map ordeal. Although there has been no hint towards larger maps, could we see it in the future with modders?

1 hour ago, Ep1cOblivion said:

fully aware of the map ordeal. Although there has been no hint towards larger maps, could we see it in the future with modders?

Yes. As Squad grows, more and more modders come into it and so it's only a matter of time before some lunatic takes it upon himself to make them from scratch. 

Ah sorry I thought the original meaning was that it would be implemented into the core game by the dev team... in which case I really don't think so based on what we've heard over the last 2 years... but yeah as the others have said I totally believe that they will be modded in at some point. Someone already got helicopters in the game through blueprints, and from what I know it's much harder to program physics in for helicopters than fixed wing aircraft. 

On 2/12/2018 at 10:57 PM, Han said:

Depends on where you look and who you ask. Recently it's been "not for a long time" though, but the image below is from the kick starter:

airvehicletypes.jpg

Even though this is on the kick-starter page, so they technically promised it, lots of people flat up say no. I think that's a bad mindset to have. I'd say more like "in due time...."

I think you can count on two things certainly:

1. If OWI doesn't do it, people will mod it in

2. Regardless of how they enter the game, it won't be for a looooong time (especially at the current rate things are taking)

Basically if you're itching to fly fixed wing in Squad anytime soon, you're out of luck. Hopefully it won't be like that for rotary wing! (sorry heli biased lol)

First of all I would just like to say that the Squad devs have done an amazing job to date & all their countless hours of hard work & passion have produced an amazing game. I don't think there are many out there who would disagree (haters & trolls excluded). It is all very much appreciated guys. That being said please understand that some people are looking for a combined arms game that includes aircraft specifically. I already have several games without aircraft & didn't really want another one. Posts like the older graphic above & assurances from the devs that the game would be a "Combined Arms" game & would eventually include aircraft are the only reason I bought in at the squad leader tier way back in the beginning. I understand a game not having aircraft isn't a dealbreaker for everyone but for myself & the guys I play with (& I'm sure we're not the only ones) it is. I have waited patiently & watched the development progress into a great game (especially for one that is still alpha) but keep hearing some say that aircraft incorporation (fixed wing especially) has been scrapped due to engine/compatibility issues. If this is true & incorporating aircraft isn't going to be feasible would you please let us know now. Even if more testing is needed to know for sure some sort of communication to that effect would be appreciated. Not to sound rude but it would be nice if we could get some sort of comment on this from a dev & not one of the community members (no names) who likes to seem like they have an inside track but are actually just guessing & posting their own personal opinions as fact. This happens all too often on the forums & then the original question just sort of dies without ever getting an "official" response from a dev who actually knows the answer. Just hoping for a little clarity.

26 minutes ago, Sgt_Dogface said:

This happens all too often on the forums & then the original question just sort of dies without ever getting an "official" response from a dev who actually knows the answer. Just hoping for a little clarity.

Since the closed alpha, this was the closest to a positive dev response about fixed wing aircraft that we ever got. 

Subsequent responses over the years since then have become increasingly tempered, although I don't recall seeing a flat out no. 

I feel like most people saying jets have no place in Squad have never played the old version of PR or BF2. I remember before PR had CAS and it was almost in the exact boat as squad right now. 

My gripe with this is that everything currently in-game is quite close to it's real life counterparts. Guns can have realistic performance, ground vehicles too. Helicopters are harder, because they would make more sense in a larger combat zone, but still make sense.

Now jets, on the other hand, would have to be WAY different to any semblance of realism. Their performance would have to be hugely nerfed to fit in this game.

On 2/13/2018 at 10:03 AM, Rainmaker said:

There's a "few more" things promised from Kickstarter... And its not looking good (we also lost a HUMVEE in recent time). Time will tell. The project leader still got time to do it right.

It is 100% not OWI's fault for removing the Humvee.

On 2/14/2018 at 9:09 PM, LaughingJack said:

A10's only?

I see two jets, not one.

Edited by Nossa

On 2/14/2018 at 5:55 PM, Sgt_Dogface said:

First of all I would just like to say that the Squad devs have done an amazing job to date & all their countless hours of hard work & passion have produced an amazing game. I don't think there are many out there who would disagree (haters & trolls excluded). It is all very much appreciated guys. That being said please understand that some people are looking for a combined arms game that includes aircraft specifically. I already have several games without aircraft & didn't really want another one. Posts like the older graphic above & assurances from the devs that the game would be a "Combined Arms" game & would eventually include aircraft are the only reason I bought in at the squad leader tier way back in the beginning. I understand a game not having aircraft isn't a dealbreaker for everyone but for myself & the guys I play with (& I'm sure we're not the only ones) it is. I have waited patiently & watched the development progress into a great game (especially for one that is still alpha) but keep hearing some say that aircraft incorporation (fixed wing especially) has been scrapped due to engine/compatibility issues. If this is true & incorporating aircraft isn't going to be feasible would you please let us know now. Even if more testing is needed to know for sure some sort of communication to that effect would be appreciated. Not to sound rude but it would be nice if we could get some sort of comment on this from a dev & not one of the community members (no names) who likes to seem like they have an inside track but are actually just guessing & posting their own personal opinions as fact. This happens all too often on the forums & then the original question just sort of dies without ever getting an "official" response from a dev who actually knows the answer. Just hoping for a little clarity.

I have only heard the issues with fixed wing, never with rotary. Now, still think it will be interesting to see how the handle attack helicopters but player controlled fixed wing I fully understand the issue there. At the very least I am hoping we get some combat oriented rotary wing platforms like the Kiowah (even though its out of service) to fill the gap if full on Apaches/Hinds/etc. just don't make sense game play wise (never heard them say this, but the issues should be pretty apparent). At the end of the day though, of course we all want to see that implemented and all the hilarious fail videos of guys fast roping into situations that make no sense. 

If there is a reasonable solution I am sure they will find it. If there isn't, don't worry some mod will get it done. 

As far as I know, only logistic/trans helis are confirmed. I've heard rumours of little birds, but nothing about attack helicopters. For anything else, we'll probably have to wait for mods.
(as in what Ive heard recently, on Discord etc, as opposed to a thread from 2015)

if no attack helis then it will be lame as fu... ! we already don t get AIRPLANE CAS , now we don t get heli cas? whats the point of this game ? it has less content than PR , a mod that is older than my grandma

A mod based on a game that already had all the codes and assets completed. The PR modders only needed to create content and a few code changes. It also took PR 10 years to become what it became.

When it comes to jets .... Implamenting them in a way that they would be balanced with the insane draw distances and the realistic behaviours that squad is trying to achive would be nearly impossible in my opinion ... Also having the "fighter jet" assest fully controled by one player would really make it that only the best pilots would be the ones to use these assets , becuase otherwise the team that allows the less skilled pilots to fly would be in a very big distanvatage. 

So my suggestion would be , and please try to hear me out on this one ... To make jets function like the "kill strike" in the COD seriers.... like giving squad leaders the abillity to request air support as a cooldown based abillity , when the ability is activeated the squad leader would "take control" - but only limited control on the aircraft , he would control things like weapons , some movement , and countermeasures... If the aircraft would be shot-down , the team would ofcourse lose tickets ... So the benefits of using airstrikes would be based more on tactical decisions and smart asset management rather than piloting skills .

On 17/02/2018 at 10:07 AM, Nossa said:

I see two jets, not one.

lols! it was a suggestion, not a question :)

i'm guessing the A10 is prolly the only aircraft able to realistically manouver within the confines of any map Squad will have unless you go up above 4k x 4K maps

On 15/02/2018 at 10:52 AM, Ep1cOblivion said:

I feel like most people saying jets have no place in Squad have never played the old version of PR or BF2

no PR exp.

jets in BF2 (&3) were absolutely lame and cheesy, they didn't even have a place in those games but, you know ... EA.