Odet

Death Ringing Sound is too much

So the loud ringing sound when you get killed/bleeding is simply too much. I've found myself getting headaches from it, to the point where I rather just give up instead of waiting for a medic. Maybe because I already have tinnitus in rl, it compounds the sound to make it absolutely horrible. It sounds cool yes, but bad it terms of enjoyment for the game, it's a flop.

If the objective is to make it hard to hear for strategic value, why not just disable, or muffle it.

59 minutes ago, Odet said:

Maybe because I already have tinnitus in rl

Who doesn't?

I genuinely don't know what sound you're talking about. I can't think of any ringing that's in the game.

34 minutes ago, Rybec said:

Who doesn't?

I genuinely don't know what sound you're talking about. I can't think of any ringing that's in the game.

So when you get shot, and you're waiting for a medic, there's a loud ringing sound. It goes away once you're picked up or you click give up.

I'll have to listen for it next time. All I can recall ever hearing is just everything being muffled.

Just now, Rybec said:

I'll have to listen for it next time. All I can recall ever hearing is just everything being muffled.

That's all I hear too

33 minutes ago, USMarine said:

That's all I hear too

Yeah that's what I used to hear, just a muffled sound. But with the latest patch I thought they had added this ringing sound as a feature. Maybe it's a bug?

I don't hear it and I don't see it. I dropped a grenade at my feet (click to embiggen):

a8hlKyc.png

Blue is audio waveform, amber is spectral data.

At [1] you can see the pin being pulled and the pin and spoon hitting the ground.

At [2] you can see the explosion.

At [3] you can see the heartbeat sound.

At [4] you can see the breathing sound.

If there were a high-frequency tinnitus-like ringing, you would see a horizontal line in the spectrum data somewhere in the top third of the graph. Can you get a recording of what you are hearing?

Edited by Grey

1 hour ago, Grey said:

I don't hear it and I don't see it. I dropped a grenade at my feet (click to embiggen):

a8hlKyc.png

Blue is audio waveform, amber is spectral data.

At [1] you can see the pin being pulled and the pin and spoon hitting the ground.

At [2] you can see the explosion.

At [3] you can see the heartbeat sound.

At [4] you can see the breathing sound.

If there were a high-frequency tinnitus-like ringing, you would see a horizontal line in the spectrum data somewhere in the top third of the graph. Can you get a recording of what you are hearing?

Yeah I think the best bet is for me to record what I'm hearing!

Interesting, the sound you get after you are downed is very different from what I get. There is just a continued rushing sound, like the tail of the explosion, and no breathing/heartbeat. Spectral analysis also shows a few clear high-frequency tones. Here is the video I used for reference:

And here is a comparison of the audio from our two examples, mine top, yours bottom (click to embiggen):

wqVsKI4.png

What are your sound settings?

Edited by Grey

I've got all my sound settings on default.

This has only started since the last patch.

Here is the sound isolated a little better, for reference:

It definitely sounds like there's some sort of artifacting or audio glitchery going on. USB headset? Integrated sound? 
That the sound after death is so different is the most interesting thing to me, though.

9 hours ago, Grey said:

Here is the sound isolated a little better, for reference:

It definitely sounds like there's some sort of artifacting or audio glitchery going on. USB headset? Integrated sound? 
That the sound after death is so different is the most interesting thing to me, though.

I'm using Realtek on board sound card. The headset is a Hyper X with a 3.5mm jack.

Is there a way to disable that sound completely? Also maybe I can copy your audio settings to see if it goes away?

Odet I think that is not an intentional feature and it's some kind of sound bug. I've not experienced it at all in v10 yet.

I agree though, having tinnitus, no need to replicate that in a videogame as it's annoying as ****

Edited by fuzzhead

45 minutes ago, fuzzhead said:

Odet I think that is not an intentional feature and it's some kind of sound bug. I've not experienced it at all in v10 yet.

I agree though, having tinnitus, no need to replicate that in a videogame as it's annoying as ****

That makes a lot more sense that it's not a feature added in v10. I just assumed it was as I didn't have that bug before v10.

What's the best way to get one of the dev's attention to see the info in this thread? Maybe a way I can give them my info so they can look into it. I'm going to be upgrading my PC to a new build tomorrow, maybe that will fix it?

OK!

I play with "Epic" sound. I just tried again with sound on "Low" and the results were very much similar to yours.

Video:

Isolated ringing:

tAwMkkx.png

3BdnAma.png

I'll see if I can find a good example of the same from before v10 to compare, but at this point it is clearly present when using "Low" audio settings.

Edited by Grey

sounds nothing like 'ringing' or tinitus to me (i also have a little constant tinitus). does sound exactly like a rumbling tho, like the explosion noise is still looping/dragging-on at the end.

Agreed LaughingJack... everyones severity and frequency of tinnitus is different (as well as their subjective interpretation of the sound) but I agree, the frequency in the videos above have both low and high frequency... when I think tinnitus more typically encompasses high frequency.

how about trying to die without a grenade, and recording it to see if its as Laughing Jack suspects, remnants from the grenade explosion overlaying on the bleedout screen?

Heres a good example video of some forms of tinnitus sounds

Edited by fuzzhead

15 minutes ago, LaughingJack said:

sounds nothing like 'ringing' or tinitus to me (i also have a little constant tinitus). does sound exactly like a rumbling tho, like the explosion noise is still looping/dragging-on at the end.

You can't hear the HF tone in the Soundcloud link?

14 minutes ago, fuzzhead said:

how about trying to die without a grenade, and recording it to see if its as Laughing Jack suspects, remnants from the grenade explosion overlaying on the bleedout screen?

I have, it's the same. This is apparently what you hear with audio set to "Low."

13 minutes ago, Grey said:

You can't hear the HF tone in the Soundcloud link?

nope, just the rumble ( i can see it in the spectrum though ;) )

my hearing 's not been checked for a few years but was/is fine - may have some usual-level ear wax going on tho that might muffle a higher tone?

4 minutes ago, Grey said:

I have, it's the same. This is apparently what you hear with audio set to "Low."

well that's sub-par :/  - just like when you set lighting to "low" and it just removes all shadows - sigh@UE4

1 hour ago, LaughingJack said:

nope, just the rumble ( i can see it in the spectrum though ;) )

my hearing 's not been checked for a few years but was/is fine - may have some usual-level ear wax going on tho that might muffle a higher tone?

Can you hear this? It's the tone fully isolated:

yep, can hear that NP's. if that was on it's own it would annoy me no doubt, but mixed in with the other stuff it gets lost, for me anyway.

2 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

yep, can hear that NP's. if that was on it's own it would annoy me no doubt, but mixed in with the other stuff it gets lost, for me anyway.

OK, good - I was worried for sec there :D

In context, it doesn't bother me either, but some folks are more sensitive to this sort of thing, like the OP.

Small update, I don't get the death tone anymore after changing audio to low!

EDIT:

Thanks for the help guys!

Edited by Odet