H4ilToTheKing

Where Did My FPS Go?

I have the same. V9 on high (shadows low, evrything else off/0). 65-95/100fps.

Now V10. 45-75fps. (evrything low....)

Edited by oTec

My average FPS has gone up on pretty much every map.. I wonder what the main difference is? I guess the CPU/game thread dependency has gone up again??

*All maps were 75-80 players

/****** V9.14-9.16 ********/

Fools Road 

Frames: 21016

Time (ms): 300000

Min: 41

Max: 123

Avg: 70.05

Chlora 

Frames: 22739

Min: 52

Max: 91

Avg: 75.80

Narva 

Frames: 125536

Time (ms): 1620312

Min: 45

Max: 140

Avg: 77.47

/********************/

/******V10**********/

Fools Road 

Frames: 17724

Time (ms): 220891

Min: 55

Max: 107

Avg: 80.239

Chlora 

Frames: 26844

Min: 66

Max: 117

Avg: 89.48

Narva 

Frames:  21198

Min: 40

Max: 110

Avg: 70.66

/********************/

1 hour ago, Psyrus said:

My average FPS has gone up on pretty much every map.. I wonder what the main difference is? I guess the CPU/game thread dependency has gone up again??

*All maps were 75-80 players

/****** V9.14-9.16 ********/

Fools Road 

Frames: 21016

Min: 41

Max: 123

Avg: 70.05

Chlora 

Frames: 22739

Min: 52

Max: 91

Avg: 75.80

Narva 

Frames: 125536

Time (ms): 1620312

Min: 45

Max: 140

Avg: 77.47

/********************/

/******V10**********/

Fools Road 

Frames: 17724

Time (ms): 220891

Min: 55

Max: 107

Avg: 80.239

Chlora 

Frames: 26844

Min: 66

Max: 117

Avg: 89.48

Narva 

Frames:  21198

Min: 40

Max: 110

Avg: 70.66

/********************/

How do you get this data?

I have an i7-3770k, 16 GB DDR 1600 RAM, 120gb SSD, and GTX 1060 6 GB card.

V9 I would peek around 110 but the steady dps was right around 60.

V10 Peak was 51ish but would be steady at 41

Hope that helps.

And no, there's no way these guys ADDED cores for engine, it looks like they took away in that this game runs on a single core instead of two. 

Edit:
ADDING cores to the engine doesn't lower the DPS on people, it would maintain the same DPS on duo/quad core chips but give people with hex+ cores a DPS boost.

TLDR: When the game is running on a duo core engine, the only thing that drops DPS is a) reducing the cores the engine runs on, b) bad coding for "optimizing" where they added redundant code instead of simplifying it.

Edited by H4ilToTheKing
Added thoughts.

17 hours ago, oTec said:

How do you get this data?

I hate it when people eyeball their fps because they're playing the game and will miss the vast majority of fps numbers that flash by on their screen... So people talking about their "peak, average min" fps without having actually benchmarked it in some way can be safely ignored imo. 

I wanted a reliable method for people to know what fps they were getting so I did some research and found that the now outdated program called Fraps has a "benchmarking" tool integrated into it. It will measure your fps at a set interval and then compile three documents for you. One with every frame time, one with recorded fps at each interval, and finally a summary that lists the min, max and average of that benchmarking session. 

I try to be as scientific about it as possible and only benchmark when a server is close to full, and always near the center 33% of the map to get the max stress on the computer while benchmarking. 

I actually started setting up a little site so that people could submit their Fraps benchmark data and we could have more real world data rather than feelings about whether performance is improving or getting worse... It would also help users know if they're getting the same fps as people with similar systems, but I got busy and haven't updated it in a few months so it isn't yet functional. 

Edited by Psyrus
Removed link since there's nothing to see anyway

I really hate it when people think that data-basing numbers without any point of reference gives them any kind of "more accurate" FPS measurement because that data is taken out of context.

You can get a better feel for what your DPS is by just paying attention.  When your not around people, ect ect, see what your FPS is.

Peak 108.

When you're in the middle of a small map and everyone is throwing 'nades of all types and such, look at your FPS.

Make note of what your smallest numbers are.

Low 48.

When you're getting lag from the server, don't even bother looking at FPS because it doesn't matter, it's server issue.

Good luck having your spread sheet tell you what was going on at the exact moment you see that FPS drop kid because not once do your Fraps data tell you that genius.  For all you know your lows are coming from server issues, nothin to do with you.

Edited by H4ilToTheKing

42 minutes ago, H4ilToTheKing said:

For all you know your lows are coming from server issues, nothin to do with you.

My god, please stop posting regarding these kinds of things, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. -_-

I don't mind if you want to believe in whatever methodology you use, but please stop spreading misinformation on the forums, it doesn't help anyone. 

7 hours ago, Psyrus said:

I hate it when people eyeball their fps because they're playing the game and will miss the vast majority of fps numbers that flash by on their screen... So people talking about their "peak, average min" fps without having actually benchmarked it in some way can be safely ignored imo. 

I wanted a reliable method for people to know what fps they were getting so I did some research and found that the now outdated program called Fraps has a "benchmarking" tool integrated into it. It will measure your fps at a set interval and then compile three documents for you. One with every frame time, one with recorded fps at each interval, and finally a summary that lists the min, max and average of that benchmarking session. 

I try to be as scientific about it as possible and only benchmark when a server is close to full, and always near the center 33% of the map to get the max stress on the computer while benchmarking. 

I actually started setting up a little site so that people could submit their Fraps benchmark data and we could have more real world data rather than feelings about whether performance is improving or getting worse... It would also help users know if they're getting the same fps as people with similar systems 

http://squad-performance.appspot.com/

I'll give it a look when i get home. Thanks for the info.

1 minute ago, oTec said:

I'll give it a look when i get home. Thanks for the info.

Oh sorry my edit never went through... I started that site but then got married and work got super busy, so it has been in limbo for ages. The database isn't hooked up to submissions yet. Nothing to see there now :(

4 minutes ago, Joshuax said:

Is there any benchmark for getting that FPS data ?

In fraps as Psy stated. I'll have to redl it.

Ah so, i thinked about some scripted ingame bench. With fraps you need to walk yourself etc, so every time, bench will have other data than last time etc.But better something than nothing ;) Tnx

1 hour ago, Joshuax said:

Is there any benchmark for getting that FPS data ?

I really wished the devs could make an integrated benchmarking tool so that both they and the community could collect real performance data, but for now the Fraps one is the best solution I've found since it's a multi player game and thus impossible to maintain a consistent benchmarking environment. 

The best way to overcome that downside is to gather a lot of data :)

13 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

I really wished the devs could make an integrated benchmarking tool so that both they and the community could collect real performance data, but for now the Fraps one is the best solution I've found since it's a multi player game and thus impossible to maintain a consistent benchmarking environment. 

The best way to overcome that downside is to gather a lot of data :)

I think that we maybe will get a benchmark in Squad, you can find a "Benchmark" button in the options since alpha 10 release, it just does not do anything at the moment.

10 hours ago, Psyrus said:

I run Squad with 58 fps limit. Regardless of the map or how dense the fights fps never dropped below that 58fps limit in V9 post-optimization updates. With V10 I get constant ~45fps in Al Basrah map unless I am at american base or drops to 45fps in other maps. I don't need benchmarks to observe this because it's obvious - either 58 fps or lower.

Also one doesn't doesn't need to to constantly eyeball fps to tell that it drops and video/mouse input is not smooth anymore.

Edited by unknwn

I didn't measure "properly", but unlike some guys here, my fps is borderline playable, so a decrease in performance is quite noticeable. I remember not having any fun in basrah before the v9 optimization pass, to being absolutely awesome after it. Now with v10 I'm getting around 19 fps there, so, back to where we started. I'm even getting bad frames on sumari, where it was quite enjoyable even before the optimization.

Tl;dr: v10 brought a performance loss, DEFINITELY.

I had waited for a long time for V10 to play Squad again, as for over a year ago it was promised that that build would give us optimizations. Now in V10, my performance is worse than a year ago! I have noticed that Bashra is the most un-optimized map there is and i avoid it like the plague.

Edited by Sgt. Veld

I'm conducting tests now with fraps, thanks to Psy's suggestion.

Trying to find the options wich increase my average fps, and i don't mean with small margins.

I'm talking in the 5-10fps range.

I'll posts my results in a few days.