Sign in to follow this  
jellyswim

Map repetition

I've been playing squad a lot since the release of V10 (and loving it) but I gotta say I'm getting real sick of playing on two maps specifically: Yehorivka AAS V1 and Fools Road AAS V3. Both these layers focus on a single, walled off objective in the center of the map and especially now that rushing is less prevalent (which is fine with me) the whole match essentially revolves around who can get to storage site/fob papanov first and who can get as many bodies on the cap as possible.

I really don't like the way these maps play out, even when I'm winning. It basically condenses an entire 4x4 k map into a single compound and it gets boring really fast. The only time you see the fight go to another area is when the teams are super unbalanced which can also be very dull. Despite my opinion, it seems that a large number of players indeed enjoy both these layers and like to fight over that one compound for the whole match, which is not something I particularly understand because it just seems so mindless. I suppose the point of this thread is to find out if anybody else feels the same?

Personally, I prefer having a wide range of choices on how to engage the enemy and not be forced to attack the same buildings over and over. Sure you can attack from different directions and if you control the center objective, you can move to the next, but the overall feeling I get from these layers with 5 objectives in a line is it's just incredibly repetitive and not memorable. I never really get that satisfying feeling of a good match because it's the same every time on these maps.

The other reason I'm tired of these layers is that there are several other layouts that I find much more enjoyable, but rarely play on. I'm not sure if I just choose the wrong server and/or time to play but I find myself genuinely unable to recall some of the other layers simply from lack of play time on them. I could be wrong, but my inference from this is that the majority of server map rotation generally excludes many map layers. If so, that is disappointing; repetitiveness is a game killer and if admins are constantly running the same few maps over and over, the game will get very unenjoyable for me. I don't want to sound too whiny, but this has been bugging me for a while now and I figured I'd bring my thoughts to the community.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this subject. Do you enjoy the massive fights over a single compound? Do you experience the same frequency of these layers?

Edited by jellyswim
Typos, formatting

Some valid points here. I believe some of it has to do with rotation selection, and then possibly the need for real-time dynamic layers (in short). 

You're right and I couldn't agree more, the maps are fun but not when played all the time.  If you want some variation in maps play NG+508th server. We are implementing a 4 day rotation system, each day we move on to a new rotation of maps. You won't find those two maps more than once every four days.#shameless plug.

17 hours ago, jellyswim said:

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this subject.

You know nothing about the horrors of Muttrah and Fallujah every other map.

7 hours ago, Rybec said:

You know nothing about the horrors of Muttrah and Fallujah every other map.

Oh you bet I do, but those maps were actually enjoyable because in PR you have all sorts of vehicles and play types to choose from. If you were tired of the map, you could be a logi squad or something to switch it up  a little. Squad has much less variety in that sense, and that's exaxtly why I made this thread.