MyJewLives

Will Squad introduce airstrikes?

Im not sure if its been asked but i was wondering if squad will eventually introduce like a mechanic where SLs can call in say an AI A10 gunrun or a f15 jdam strike on positions? Same with Russian and British forces. Thought it would be a cool mechanic since.... Post Scriptum introduced ww2 AI plane gun runs and bombing. It really would be badass for sure

Edited by MyJewLives

Seeing they won't be adding actual flying jets, they probably will do it this way just like Post Scriptum has done, a Warthog A-10 doing a strafe would be fricking awesome!

Honestly, I hope not. 

I like Squad because it literally relies on the individual members teamwork and tactics on the ground. I feel like if they were to add too much more in the way of fire support the game is going to become much more like Battlefield or Call of Duty, and attract the wrong crowds. Seems like so far, everyone I've encountered is on the same page and understands the importance of teamwork. 

2 hours ago, Sgt. Veld said:

Seeing they won't be adding actual flying jets, they probably will do it this way just like Post Scriptum has done, a Warthog A-10 doing a strafe would be fricking awesome!

It really would

1 hour ago, Metalmonkey47 said:

Honestly, I hope not. 

I like Squad because it literally relies on the individual members teamwork and tactics on the ground. I feel like if they were to add too much more in the way of fire support the game is going to become much more like Battlefield or Call of Duty, and attract the wrong crowds. Seems like so far, everyone I've encountered is on the same page and understands the importance of teamwork. 

I wouldn’t mind. I’m just saying maybe 1 airstrike or gun run by Ai pilots during a 40-60min session not repetitive constant cod kill streak levels of bs. If you watch how post scriptum introduced the mechanic... you’ll see what I’m talking about. Pretty sure post scriptum and squad run on the same engine.. but I could be wrong. Adding it would be a nice feature and wouldn’t be unrealistic. 

They aren't gonna add no jets? That's a shame. The laser guided missles from jets in combination with a squad leader lasing tge targets on the ground made some really epic gameplay in PR.

13 hours ago, Clown_Tactical said:

They aren't gonna add no jets? That's a shame. The laser guided missles from jets in combination with a squad leader lasing tge targets on the ground made some really epic gameplay in PR.

They basically can't, the maps would have to be huge for it . Like ARMA huge.

From what the devs have said it seems like we're going to get AI airstrikes eventually. If you're worried about it hurting teamwork keep in mind that we're still going to get a commander at some point too so that should play into the mechanic.

10 hours ago, Sgt. Veld said:

They basically can't, the maps would have to be huge for it . Like ARMA huge.

PR maps are considerably big, 4k . I don't see why not adding jets to Squad if it's a fundamental feuture .

6 hours ago, Vegetal said:

I sure hope not. Magic bombardment on demand is an awful thing for gameplay.

How? They tested it in Post Scriptum and works great. Rising Storm 2 also has it and there is no issues.

That'll be a no from me. 

I'm all for jets assets flown by pilot roles with the opposing force also having the sufficient means to combat said assets with either matching jets or AA/SAM....On proper scaled maps to accommodate these aircraft...

Edited by CptDirty

1 hour ago, Sgt. Veld said:

How? They tested it in Post Scriptum and works great. Rising Storm 2 also has it and there is no issues.

Having bombs fall on your head just because someone on the opposing team told the game so, IS an issue itself. Almost a gaming deus ex machina.

is it 100% confirmed that we are not gonna see any jets in the game, used by Players?

2 hours ago, LandsHeer said:

is it 100% confirmed that we are not gonna see any jets in the game, used by Players?

I would say it's probably 95% confirmed at this point. They were originally planned during the kickstarter but as development of the game has progressed the devs have said the maps aren't big enough to support jets unless they were slowed down to a degree that would make them look awkward and act differently than they should.

But we haven't even got Helicopters yet so I doubt the jets discussion externally or internally has been finished.

i wouldn't rule anything out yet. As there is many maps out at the moment, there has been no rumor for the release of bigger maps. I mean, with the implementation of trans heli's, they will probably add CAS, and with that i would think they would add jets. Gorodok is a huge map, and i think it would suit dogfights and CAS.

3 hours ago, Ep1cOblivion said:

i wouldn't rule anything out yet. As there is many maps out at the moment, there has been no rumor for the release of bigger maps. I mean, with the implementation of trans heli's, they will probably add CAS, and with that i would think they would add jets. Gorodok is a huge map, and i think it would suit dogfights and CAS.

A huge map for multi role fighters would be 1000x1000 km. A plane will cross gorodok in a few seconds, and air-to-air weaponry nowadays goes hundreds of km out. Gorodok is a phone booth for planes.

When ppl ask for Jets in a squad-level game, I can only think of this...

PS. Ask for nuclear aircraft carriers while you're at it.

PPS. SLs calling in airstrikes would be OK tho. But then we will have to have counter-abilities, and it will all become a game of "bullshit SL ability #1 vs bullshit SL ability #2".

On 2/11/2018 at 10:22 AM, Vegetal said:

I sure hope not. Magic bombardment on demand is an awful thing for gameplay.

It Wouldn’t be a magical bombardment... 

4 hours ago, tatzhit said:

When ppl ask for Jets in a squad-level game, I can only think of this...

PS. Ask for nuclear aircraft carriers while you're at it.

PPS. SLs calling in airstrikes would be OK tho. But then we will have to have counter-abilities, and it will all become a game of "bullshit SL ability #1 vs bullshit SL ability #2".

This is the kinda of airstrikes im referring to 

18 hours ago, LandsHeer said:

I think sooo but.... I don’t know if they will implement airstrikes/gunruns like post scriptum did.

On 2/11/2018 at 5:05 PM, CptDirty said:

That'll be a no from me. 

I'm all for jets assets flown by pilot roles with the opposing force also having the sufficient means to combat said assets with either matching jets or AA/SAM....On proper scaled maps to accommodate these aircraft...

I could really care less about player flown aircraft... I was just referring to how PS implemented them. But say if it’s RU vs USA you could balance it like PS did. But if it’s insurgents vs USA ect ect.... I could see a need for balancing the game. 

On 2/11/2018 at 4:25 PM, LaughingJack said:

no thanks - for the reasons mentioned above.

Btw this is what I’m referring too. It’s literally made by people who helped develop squad and project reality. 

Y'all must be new, cause a little while back there was a closed test where they tried out a lot of new stuff that we haven't heard of since. Features that were tested include: A-10 airstrikes called in by SL's (30 mm GAU and bomb), a new gamemode revolving around fob's and an large open map, and MRAP's (before they were in). SquadOps did an Operation with these upgrades, it was really cool. There's lots of footage of the test on YouTube.

Back to the A-10, here's some clips of it in Squad:

Overall, I'd really like to see this as something that is implemented with the commander. An example situation would be if the Russian team had taken FOB Papanov and were really dug in, a US SL could mark a target (either with laser designator or by marking on map or passing the grid on to the commander), then the commander approves it.  I think what's important is that there must be a large delay between when the strike is called and when it actually hits, so that it is only really viable against stationary stuff, like big fobs or objectives. I think it would make the US really unique. Unconventional forces could have arty strikes and Russia could have a Frogfoot strike. What do you guys think?