Lexx-Goffman

M4 burst mode

Tried M4 on shooting range today and noticed that if you shoot not all 3 round in burst mode then shooting sound will stop imediately after first round. BUT wait, you actually can't fire just ONE or two rounds of burst IRL, it must ALWAYS be ALL 3 rounds on ONE click. What's the point of that mode otherwise?

You can fire one round of burst IRL. That's the justification for doing it that way in Squad.

The problem that IRL it's way easier to figure out bursts because you "feel" the weapon, and also because you spend months/years practicing with it. In Squad, it just ends up making burst mode erratic and unworkable.

The devs should just leave the work of controlling burst lengths to the avatar, not the player. It's needless micro and a mistake in game design - like making the player manually switch off the safety when drawing a new weapon, remove safety cap from each RPG rocket before loading, "warm up" vehicle engines in the winter, etc. Even America's Army, the US Army training game, doesn't make the player manually control bursts.

PS. That said, properly implemented burst mode will make US rifles even more OP, so... I'm okay with burst mode being erratic from overall meta standpoint. But I'd prefer to see a more a elegant solution.

20 hours ago, Lexx-Goffman said:

BUT wait, you actually can't fire just ONE or two rounds of burst IRL, it must ALWAYS be ALL 3 rounds on ONE click. What's the point of that mode otherwise?

Yes you can. Burst fire works off of a ratchet sort of system. If you let off the trigger early, it stays on that slot of the ratchet until you cycle it fully.

The point of it is you still have full control. I wouldn't want a rifle that continues to fire after I stop telling it to regardless of how quick it does. Would you?

It's that that big of a deal tat. You can hold your mouse button a quarter of a second longer to get a full burst or not. It's nice having the flexibility of single shot available like you have in auto.

59 minutes ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

It doesn't depend on the map, but rather the class you pick.

are you sure about that? I have noticed this behavior for the same class. ie M4 rifleman & British L123A2 grenadier 

I don't like it. Neither liked it in real life, with real m4, nor in game and Squad got it spot on that Burst Fire of M4 having that surprising kick to it due to how fast it fires. In full auto M4A1 can go through entire 30 magazine in less than 4 seconds. US Army did the right thing switching and upgrading to M4A1 variant (although now Russian army got better body armor and it looks like newer rifle is needed).

Edited by Caliell

On 9/21/2018 at 9:52 AM, [BMF] Coanda said:

are you sure about that? I have noticed this behavior for the same class. ie M4 rifleman & British L123A2 grenadier 

Some kits have the M4A1, which has full auto instead of the M4s burst.

1 hour ago, TheeBaconman said:

Some kits have the M4A1, which has full auto instead of the M4s burst.

Thank you for the explanation. That makes sense and is documented on the squad wiki. I cant get my head around the behavior on the British L123A2 grenadier and some of the medic AK's. Sometimes you have 3 shot burst and sometimes you have full auto... 

The M4A1 which the Army upgraded to some years ago uses a semi and full-auto system (upgraded from the M4's 3-round burst), however in my time I never saw anyone use full-auto in any meaningful way. Only in an ambush or something would I ever imagine you'd open up. You either shot in semi controlled pairs or in short manually-controlled bursts in full-auto mode. While the upgraded heavier barrel on the new M4A1's do allow much more frequent rapid fire, but save the the full-auto for the SAW gunner or the m240's in a suppression fire role =]