Sign in to follow this  
Jan Paweł II

Differentation between Levant and Afghan Insurgents

As we can see in the new recap, there will be some really good looking new  models for the insurgents that will replace the current ones. 

In my opinion they look really good and I can't wait to see them in the game. But they are very Iraqi-looking and a lot of the maps currently in are Afghan styled (stereotypical low clay walls, poppy fields etcetera). They are perfect for the Al Basrah map, and the upcoming Fallujah map, but I wonder if we will ever see different models for the Afghan maps. Of course, this isn't really very important and I understand if devs want to hold off on it.

Devs said that they didn't want to do current politicalized events, which I think is a smart decision of them, so they won't be Taliban. What the devs can do is just keep the insurgents name, but use a different flag for the Afghan mapped ones, to avoid any politics. Or if they really want to use a different name they can just change it to "Rebels", "Mountain Insurgents" or "Irregulars" or something else generic.

Also  a quick note before you start reading: sometimes I talk about which weapon should be for which class but the devs said they will redo the inventory system so probably also the weapons choosing system, which will probably make multiple options available aswell, so you might not want to pay too much attention to that.

Now to the interesting part: There is quite a bit of difference between Iraqi and Afghan insurgents, most obvious the clothing (Afghans aren't Arabs, people!!!).

Afghan fighters look like this (not all of the pictures are Taliban):

y4FuPGM.jpg

EgTd7e5.jpg

wUTDlYW.jpg

While the Iraqi insurgents look like the ones from the January recap (again, really good job on them).

There is also a difference in the weaponry. Afghans got the AK74 from the Afghan-Soviet war, and the AK74 isn't really common at all in Syria and Iraq. Even Russian soldiers currently in Syria often use AKM. But a weapon that is common in Syria and Iraq that isn't in Afghanistan is the FAL, often with a scope. 

pict46.jpg

b98aeb0e4773_sf_6.jpg

I think for that the Levant faction the AK74 should be replaced with a FAL and the scoped AK74 also replaced with a scoped FAL or scoped G3. 

Also, despite the AK74 being "somwhat" common in Afghanistan it is still a really rare weapon, and a status symbol for higher ups in the organizations. I think that the AK74 should become a squad leader weapon for the Afghan insurgents and changing the scoped AK74 for a scoped G3. But this is really a dev decision. G3 is produced in Iran and Pakistan so it is quite commonly found with insurgents in Afghanistan.

20090411163755ENLUS0169456412394678.jpg

Now the really fun stuff: Enfields. It is not the 80s anymore of course, so they aren't as common anymore, but I really think it would add some flair to add the Lee-Enfield rifle. They used to be really common during the Afghan-Soviet war but have since been a bit replaced by newer weaponry, but the Enfield is still found in Afghanistan today.

ceOzmrB.jpg

I think this should be used for scout class and perhaps a scoped version for the marksman.

Now what I think is the most important change to the Levant Insurgents is the M16 rifle. M16s have become incredibly common all around the Levant nowadays and we see them everywhere. Much less so in Afghanistan. A lot have been supplied to US-alligned groups in Syria and of course supplied to the Iraqi army, and a lot of these have been stolen by insurgents. Of course also a lot have been captured from US military. I think that a M16 should be a limited option for regular squad infantry and perhaps for Squad Leader. Grenadier option with 203 might also be somehting the devs could add.

CfOc8RvW4AAjWTu.jpg

CtaQAXVXgAEwu30.jpg

TL:DR: 2 factions, Afghan Insurgents and Levant Insurgents. Different models and a slight differentation in weapons, FAL and M16 for Levant, Lee-Enfield and AK74/AKS74u for Afghan among others.