BigB

Squad on Ryzen 7 1700 and rx 580

Hey guys, 

Im planning to buy this laptop (Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC-GC104T-BE )

I was wondering how it would perform. cus im so addicted to squad the laptop has to run squad properly. After seeing several post about the bad optimization on AMD cpu's i'm not sure. So give me some feedback :)

Its a Belgian website and written in Dutch. So here are the main specs:

Cpu: Ryzen 7 1700 (3.0ghz- 3.7ghz turbo)

Gpu: rx 580

Ram 16gb 

256gb ssd and 1tb hdd.

The CPU, RAM and storage are good, but the GPU isn't. AMD GPUs don't get along too well with Squad, same with AMD FX CPUs. According to Ryzen CPU owners on the Steam forum, who previously had AMD FX CPUs, their game's running great on AMD Ryzen + Nvidia GPU. I'd suggest you find/choose another Laptop that has Intel + Nvidia or AMD Ryzen + Nvidia, if you wanna fully enjoy Squad without running into FPS problems and sudden drops.

Edit: Sorry for the misleading info on the AMD GPUs part. It turns out that only AMD FX CPUs are the ones affected. I wrote this based on the old posts I've read on the Steam forum generalizing and saying all AMD hardware, except Ryzen CPU (which I read about recently), have issues running Squad. Sorry again for the misleading info.

The laptop will have zero issues running Squad 60 FPS 1080p.

Good luck.

Edited by DeathMetalMarine
Mistaken/Wrong Info

2 hours ago, DeathMetalMarine said:

AMD GPUs don't get along too well with Squad

I saw a post regarding AMD GPUs from IronTaxi in 2015 that referenced advanced lighting. Could you should me where there is any information about AMD GPUs not working well with squad (either forums or reddit)?

On 2/9/2018 at 7:31 AM, Psyrus said:

I saw a post regarding AMD GPUs from IronTaxi in 2015 that referenced advanced lighting. Could you should me where there is any information about AMD GPUs not working well with squad (either forums or reddit)?

It's some posts on the Steam forum. I just saw a YouTube video of a Squad gameplay on RX 580, and it runs the game with zero issues. I fixed my previous post and added clafication. I'm sorry for the partially wrong info.

Edited by DeathMetalMarine