dor

Going Solo

I'd like to share a (surprising) scenario of "Going Solo".

Note that mostly I do teamwork and adhere to SL, but that time the SL kicked me w/o asking so I was left alone anyway.

I played as Scout, which I don't consider as a good role, to say the least.

Scenario A:

I managed to hold off an entire squad for several minutes (~5).

Killed them again & again in a very tight zone (they approached one by one).

This helped my team greatly while defending a flag that had a FOB.

Not only I made the enemy team to lose tickets, but also distracted an entire squad (efficient).

Scenario B:

Surprisingly similar to Scenario A - also a Scout, in the same game, but a slightly different location.

Scenario C:

Different game - as a scout, flanked (by myself) a squad that held a building and took them all (except for one which was killed by teammate who managed to get there).

This is NOT to say that going solo is good.

Rather, this is to show a different strategy that works very well for some reason.

I asked SL if I can go Scout and wonder off to place mines etc. but he didn't like it at all.

He preferred to stay still, all squad confined in a tight space, to keep the FOB & flag (poor strategy IMHO which doesn't work well, as seen in previous games).

But perhaps allowing a single squadmate to go solo & report to the team (= the role of the scout...) is a good method that can help? As seen above.

Edited by dor

Scouts should be scouting and relaying info. Mines and etc.  But being a lone gun isn't Squad. More me, me, me. (Name your game you want) experienced players should be using the role which can be devastating.

If you think lone wolf is the best part of squad I assure you it's not. KD isn't the end all of the game. So you kill 5-9 but you squad capture a flag that's 30 tickets and maybe a bleed. People need to think more strategic,  Encouraging single lone wolf in will make your team lose.  V10 now is vital for intellectual,  moving to unknown locations is a dead sentence for a squad. Intel *Intel for the win.

Depends from SL to SL, when i scout i always tell my SL what i'm gonna do and why. 
Beside that i do no actively engage unless i have to defend myself. Which upon one of my best games i blew up an enemy BTR and logi + sneak planted an IED in the enemies HAB on a cap. 

Not passing on info when you see enemies heading to a cap or relaying info on having placed mines will get you considered lonewolfing. 

We often have a FOB Hunting Squad or wide patrols of 1/2 guys and it works very well. The key is communications and the reasons your doing it. 

Your entire Squad getting caught in any form of 'normal' formation, and to close together is rarely useful in Squad.

Often our AT's will be miles away from the main Squad, because they are targeting enemy armour.

It's just how the game is, if you wan't to win the round.

Personally I would like to see it not be like this, but it is and thats that.

Smee, I didn't write that.

-MG I always pass info but SLs not always listen.. mostly ignore actually.

I mainly SL when I play and I am OK with this behavior AS LONG AS the roamer is actually trying to be helpful. They usually do that by either:

1. playing as a scout or marksman and picking people off or giving me grid marks for enemy locations

2. AT roaming to hunt and kill enemy vic's

3. scout placing AT mines or IED's

Unfortunately, what often actually happens is that the person that lone wolfs is the least communicative member of the squad and has to be verbally prompted to get any information out of them. They seems to forget they have a team and mic and fail to take advantage of either. Best procedure with these kinds of players is to warn them and then kick them if they do not make an effort to regroup. 

This behavior is more rampant on servers with newer/less skilled players. When this happens a lot I change my squad name to "ROAMING=KICK" or "LONE WOLF=KICK". That gets the point across. I saw that from a post someone made awhile back on this subreddit.

1 hour ago, dor said:

Smee, I didn't write that.

-MG I always pass info but SLs not always listen.. mostly ignore actually.

Ah find another SL to play with. Some just don't know how to utilize their men properly to their advantage cuz they lack knowledge about the roles. 
A scout is very much designed to go out there, not stick with your squad. Just cuz you're solo does not mean you're not helping your squad. 

Man, I love playing scout time to time. I love being in CQC so I don't play scout 24/7 but when I do 

1. I try to stay at least somewhat relevantly near toward OBJ or my Squad. Yea I might be too far when my squad gets ambushed but I don't go to the other side of the map. 

2. I KEEP FEEDING INFO to my squad or to other close squad in both voice,txt throughout the game for the enemy FOB, vic location. 

3. I always announce myself that I will do my thing when my squad is spawning in main and doing a limited spawn 

3a. In the middle of the game, I sometimes hear 

Squadmate : Yo [me], what the hell you doin down there 

SL : yea, get back.......Oh wait, you are a scout. you do your shit. If you can go the [move mark] and look out for the vic, it'd be great for us

I felt a hint of 'asking for validation' on this post since what you've asked is totally OK. The thing is... There is a lot of one track minded folks out there, so I get the purpose of this. Be asured, you're not alone. I know an entire clan that plays for over a year now and all they do is but one thing: camp inside a village on the middle of the map. And every freaking time, last year or this year, it doesn't matter, the same always happen: he gets his squad pounded inside the small contained area by almost the entire enemy force respawning on top of the montain which is a point of advantage (high ground) thus costing our team tons of tickets. He doesn't have the IQ required to allow 2 of his 8 soldiers to search and destroy the enemy FOB and cut the enemies' source.

Usually 2 things happen:
a) We lose all tickets
b) Somehow I - all by myself or with the help of a random fellow - find and destroy the enemy FOB which kills their source of respawn and allows our entire team to move forward.

There are a lot of wannabes out there who think that being a good SL means keeping the squad airtight together. They don't know about progressing in the battlefield, the concept of suppressive fire, pinning the enemy down, flanking, mortar before entering the area, search & destroy enemy rally point/FOB, and the list goes on. All they care is to be in the flag area so they can get those 100 points.

But in the end, we know who's actually contributing to the victory.

Check this video. Other SLs asked me WTF I was doing so far way from all the action and not helping. They always are so entitled and angry. Always presenting themselves as superiors. But it turns out that Scouts do win battles!

PS.: don't mind my lack of recoil control. This was done a long time ago, but still I was effective.

Edited by Ceceli