PUNISHER-lll

V10 M68 Red Dot Placement

Ill keep the post short and sweet. The RED DOT placement on the M68 should not lollipop on the top of the front sight post. V9 had the RED DOT placement done properly where the co-witness has the RED DOT hovering slightly above the front sight post. Please revert back!!

Edited by PUNISHER-lll

The placement is actually where mine is on my AR-15 after sighting it to 100m.  If you zeroed it to 200m or further (I don't know why you would with a red dot, but people do) then the dot would be higher in the sight picture.

9 hours ago, Velico said:

If you zeroed it to 200m or further (I don't know why you would with a red dot, but people do) then the dot would be higher in the sight picture.

I'm pretty sure the American military zeroes their M68s to 300m.

I just found some edited one. The idea is you have the target at a certain distance when zeroing and that silhouette is man sized at 300m.

image1704.jpg

Do you have a source for the claim of 300m for M68s?  I'm a civilian but shoot with a lot of vets and I've never seen them zero a red dot past 100m.  

Edited by Velico

I find it hard to believe that US soldiers would prefer to close to spitting distance with the enemy and therefore lose their advantages in long-range marksmanship. Heck, the entire premise of the 5.56 round is that it doesn't drop at ranges over 300m like the 7.62x39 does.

21 hours ago, Rybec said:

I'm pretty sure the American military zeroes their M68s to 300m.

I just found some edited one. The idea is you have the target at a certain distance when zeroing and that silhouette is man sized at 300m.

image1704.jpg

You would be correct. For the US Army and my time as a contractor in recent times Aimpoints are all zeroed to 300m from a 25m paper target. 

2 hours ago, tatzhit said:

I find it hard to believe that US soldiers would prefer to close to spitting distance with the enemy and therefore lose their advantages in long-range marksmanship. Heck, the entire premise of the 5.56 round is that it doesn't drop at ranges over 300m like the 7.62x39 does.

fandango is right.FM 3-22.9 http://usacac.army.mil/sites/default/files/misc/doctrine/CDG/cdg_resources/manuals/fm/fm3_22x9.pdf 

looks like page 263.

The location of the red dot within the sight has nothing to do with the distance of your zero, it has everything to do with the height of the mount you use between the optic and the rifle. I am currently in the US Army, and we use M68's with a mount that has enough offset so the red dot rests above the front sight post (as it did in V9).

3 hours ago, PUNISHER-lll said:

The location of the red dot within the sight has nothing to do with the distance of your zero, it has everything to do with the height of the mount you use between the optic and the rifle. I am currently in the US Army, and we use M68's with a mount that has enough offset so the red dot rests above the front sight post (as it did in V9).

Do specific mounts exist to make the dot co-witness with the front post? Somehow I find that unlikely.

Anyway, I'm with the OP on this one, right now that dot position doesn't make any sense.

The alignment on the red dots is off atm. Even at close range, your round hits lower then where you are aiming.

1 hour ago, oTec said:

The alignment on the red dots is off atm. Even at close range, your round hits lower then where you are aiming.

I could be reading it too literally but at close range you should be hitting slightly lower than where your sight is aiming.

The height over bore causes this.

Maybe a future change, allow personal setup. :)

46 minutes ago, Smee said:

Maybe a future change, allow personal setup. :)

I hope. It's annoying the f*ck out of me now. Either write 300m on the range indicator or actually range it to 100m as it is shown now.

I'd like that they would give Medic/LAT the option to choose the M4A1+grip too.

1 hour ago, oTec said:

I hope. It's annoying the f*ck out of me now. Either write 300m on the range indicator or actually range it to 100m as it is shown now.

I'd like that they would give Medic/LAT the option to choose the M4A1+grip too.

A 300m zero would make you hit higher at closer ranges, kinda like the elcan 249. Its top crosshair is zeroed to 300m.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Vegetal said:

A 300m zero would make you hit higher at closer ranges, kinda like the elcan 249. Its top crosshair is zeroed to 300m.

Try it out for yourself in the firing range. The round hits about 10cm-ish lower at a few metres distance. At 30m, it already hits about 25-30cm(-ish) lower. It can't be bullet drop at such a low distance, or it's not on par with the iron sight M4.

I've just been not using the red dot M4 for now.

Edited by oTec

1 hour ago, oTec said:

Try it out for yourself in the firing range. The round hits about 10cm-ish lower at a few metres distance. At 30m, it already hits about 25-30cm(-ish) lower. It can't be bullet drop at such a low distance, or it's not on par with the iron sight M4.

I've just been not using the red dot M4 for now.

Oh I'm not doubting you, I haven't tested it. Just saying it shouldn't be related to zero.