Sign in to follow this  
L0cation

Open local mic option please (:

how are you doing today guys ? i have a very small request yet a very important feature for me .

Could we please get an "Open Mic" option for local proximity chat ? Squad can sometimes feel like "finger yoga" ( even when all of the options are NOT on "hold to..." ) 

so having the local chat being open as an option would be a great addition , ofcourse any other voice channels would still be used by pressing a button , but the local chat that is used so often could really benefit from this feature .

Edited by L0cation

Do you mean open mic like i can hear you talk, eat, your audio, your changing where you headset/table mic is place, someone shouting at you from across the house and all the untold thousands of things that gonna blear out of other players headsets?.

If thats what your looking for, imma go with a hard Pass )

Nnoo no no .. I can't stand people with voice activate on discord because of chewing sneezing head set being put down people in the room talking ...music playing shit I could go on forever ... Let alone on squad... terrible idea not to be too blunt.

I'm willing to bet you use voice activate with your buds on ts or discord ...I beg you ask them if they are annoyed by it.i will bet money they do get annoyed! 

I feel like alot of people don't understand...or have no idea how annoying it is..it's like someone chewing with there mouth open in real life level shit haha

I'd like this feature too. Wouldn't be annoying as you think if limited to 3D voice only. Would feel more natural and a little easier to manage comms. I play medic a lot so I use the proximity chat frequently...would be nice to have one less key to think about when juggling squad comms with trying to tell the guy next to that you're about to bandage him. 

As a squad leader who has 4 voice channels going at the same time G(SL),B(squad),V(local),and side mouse button for discord. 

I still say it is a terrible idea!!

i guaran F*ckin tee that people are going to be running around with music blasting through there damn mic.

bye bye immersion! *in a fire fight, "Contact 345! lmg 300 meters out" he ovDAN GET OFF THAT COMPUTER AND COME DOWN FOR DINNER SHUT UP MOM IM PLAYING A GAME... DAN NOW!!....

that sounds perfect for a mil sim built on communication no?

EDIT: OH i almost forgot crying baby/children Screaming in squad mates house coming over a mic.

i couldn't handle it i would loose my shit "HOT MIC, HOT MIC HOT MIC HOT MIC *DEG EXPLODES* 

Edited by ♠DEG♠

3 minutes ago, ♠DEG♠ said:

As a squad leader who has 4 voice channels going at the same time G(SL),B(squad),V(local),and side mouse button for discord. 

I still say it is a terrible idea!!

i guaran F*ckin tee that people are going to be running around with music blasting through there damn mic.

bye bye immersion! *in a fire fight, "Contact 345! lmg 300 meters out" he ovDAN GET OFF THAT COMPUTER AND COME DOWN FOR DINNER SHUT UP MOM IM PLAYING A GAME... DAN NOW!!....

that sounds perfect for a mil sim built on communication no?

EDIT: OH i almost forgot crying baby/children Screaming in squad mates house coming over a mic.

⇧ This ⇧

Nuff Said.

No way in hell would I want this. My squad rules would be modified to include "no open mics". I can't stand listening to someone's TV in the background constantly 

I don't think I've ever heard anyone chatting in the game currently only to be interrupted by a third person, or music, or chewing, or crying babies or whatever. Mic discipline seems excellent in most of the Squad games I've experienced. But even if you aren't exaggerating the scale of the problem to make your point, I still think calling it a "terrible" idea is hyperbolic. It's not a terrible idea if restricted to local chat only - it's an idea that has merit, but which also has downsides that you've highlighted, which is fine. But that's not to say it cant be made optional, so if you do have someone blaring music constantly, then you can just tell them not to use voice activation. If they refuse, kick them from the squad...no different from kicking someone who refuses to communicate at all really, and I see that happen often in Squad.

Also, remember, your reference to Discord is a bit of a false equivalence. Discord is a chat application where everyone can chat to everyone else as long as their on the same channel. The OPs suggestion would apply to local chat only, so it's only going to be people in your immediate vicinity that you can hear, which again lowers the probability of encountering someone with a noisy background. It's not like you're going to experience it constantly - it would be annoying if you did, but I don't think that's justification for not pursuing a useful feature. 

Finally, as for immersion - well, I can just as easily say it's an immersion breaker when I'm in a game with a proper 3D voice setup, yet I still have to hold a key to speak, or I press a key to speak to someone next to me and speak to the whole squad because I ht the wrong key or whatever. It's not a major problem, but it happens, but it's not something you'd do in real life.

But as far as I remember, pretty sure the devs have written this off anyway, lat time I asked. Fair enough. Just thought I'd share my opinion. I think it would be useful and make the game that little bit more intuitive. I seem to be in the minority, so I won't  argue further, but there's no need to scoff and call it an outright terrible idea. 

Look .... For everyone saying it is a bad idea allow me to explain ... I play alot of overwatch competitive - and in that game there is a system that every time you talk , the mic recognizes that and opens automaticly ... A team in overwatch is made out of 6 people ( not too far away from a squad of 9 ) , now if someone has constant background noise we just ask him to change his settings to "push to talk" , now ... If someone would like to make alot of annoying voice or generaly has a bad mic ... These annoying sounds would be heard anyway .... That's why i suggest it to be an OPTION which WON'T be a defualt setting OR allow the local chat to be toggleble without the need of holding a button .

Why are you asking developers to spend time writing code when you can spend 2 minutes to do? Just get something and wedge it into your talk key to keep it pressed all the time.

Then get ready for all the bans you're gonna get.

1 hour ago, PythagorasHP said:

Why are you asking developers to spend time writing code when you can spend 2 minutes to do? Just get something and wedge it into your talk key to keep it pressed all the time.

Then get ready for all the bans you're gonna get.

Sorry if it sounds like a stuiped question... But is there any Auto-clicking 

Software i can use that you might know about ? And wouldn't the game recognize it as a "cheating" software ?

Oof. Going to have to go with a big fat no on this one. As stated previously, we don't need to know about the speaker's whole life - just the quick message he needs to relay. 

If you feel like you're doing "finger yoga", I highly recommend using any spare keys you may have on your mouse! 

20 hours ago, SkillerPenguin said:

Oof. Going to have to go with a big fat no on this one. As stated previously, we don't need to know about the speaker's whole life - just the quick message he needs to relay. 

If you feel like you're doing "finger yoga", I highly recommend using any spare keys you may have on your mouse! 

This is what I thought when I saw that comment. Just see if you can get a mouse with two thumb buttons on it, which is pretty standard for decent gaming mice. It will help you with squad, to put local and squad voice on those buttons, and other games. I too play Overwatch often, and having the melee on your mouse is really great to save your ass and also get in more damage as a DPS. Also put your push to talk on there too for Overwatch. Nobody likes open mics in any games, no matter if they are voice detecting/automatic, they never quite work. 

TLDR: Upgrade to a mouse with two thumb buttons, it will definitely be a noticeable and helpful change for all your games (OW and squad included).