Materia

FPS drop, freeze, lag, etc. - solution.

I have been experiencing all of the above, started to test in game settings to find a solution. I think it is worth posting it. I can now play with no issues at all. 

My PC is as follows:

Intel Core i7-4790K

MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC

G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2x8GB 2666MHz CL11

EIZO FORIS FG2421

Asus GeForce GTX 980 DC2 OC Strix 4GB

Asus Xonar DX/XD + unofficial UNi Xonar drivers

Windows 10

Squad is one of these games, where I feel that lowering the graphics does the oppostie to expectations. I get that kind of feeling, where lower quality = lower performance, while higher = high, it feels weird in general. 

It took me quite a bit of testing, trying many possibilities, but as I wrote in the very first line, SQUAD is finally playable to me. 

How that was achieved?

Regardless of the graphics settings I had +/- 60 FPS, with VSync On. FPS drop, freeze, and lag, all of these appeared more or less one after another, or all at once, and I could not figure what the issue is. Whenever I heard a loud explosion and echo, I knew that I will be out for couple seconds, because that is when it happened.

Vsync Off, gave me +40 FPS, now I have +/- 60-100.

Full texture loading changed from On to Off, that fixed everything, but I still wonder why this option caused FPS drop, freeze, and lag? Why it always occured when I heard an explosion, and its echo? It was not a hand grenade, or a grenade launcher explosion, I would assume it was an RPG/LAW impact.

https://image.ibb.co/bAb8jG/settings.jpg

From my experience, playing on border-less makes FPS rather steady, 

Turn Full Texture Loading OFF AFAIK, 4g VRAM is tidy bit short to handle that

57 minutes ago, Materia said:

Why it always occured when I heard an explosion, and its echo? It was not a hand grenade, or a grenade launcher explosion, I would assume it was an RPG/LAW impac

Does your CPU or GPU fan Amp up when that happens? 
I managed to fry 1050 with that same situation.