v76

Mortar Calculator

Why isn't there an ingame 'mortar calculator'? now before the miltryhards try to tell me it will make it too easy, players using mortars are all using one its just that they have to alt tab to do so, so why wouldn't the devs add one ingame at least for squad leaders?!

I cant tell you why there isnt one ingame, but i kinda like it that way. Sometimes you quick fire on the fly, other times you calc it and walk it in with the SL on his bino's.

It gives it an extra layer maybe.

Maybe SL marking mortar mark calculate's the mill from his position.

Agree that if you are encouraged, or allowed to use one, it should be in game. Presumably, RL mortarmen aren't letting rounds fly by seat of the pants guesswork and walking them in lol. 

I would assume that in real life it works similarly like it does in squad; You punch in the corresponding mils value for the approximate distance and make corrections. Effectively narrowing down between each shot. As for why it's not in the game it's because it would be too easy. I'm sure the devs know of the mortar calculator app and it's usage (Hell I use it all the time!). I wouldn't want to have the calculator in game, I like it the way it is now tbh.

You have guidance in your mortar... that's one way to use it... Old way 

You can simply have an app on your phone to use it so you don't have to Alt-tab out every time 

Very right!

The mortar calc. should be NOT implemented in the game. Sticking to reality it is just like it should be. A mortar-squad needs a foward spotting member or other team-members to give intel about incomming shells.

After the mortar-cals on different devices came out Shells are coming in more pinpointing but basecally it is not the way it should be played.

In general, using these external tools  could be seen as cheating, because it is a tool giving an advantage without beeing implemented to the game.   

11 hours ago, A.Hofer said:

using these external tools  could be seen as cheating

I disagree 
I tend to think Mortar Calc is a way of guidance results from a few thousands shells that we have shot. 

2 hours ago, samwiseOrigin said:

I disagree 
I tend to think Mortar Calc is a way of guidance results from a few thousands shells that we have shot. 

Disagree -lol-

Our very own SgtRoss had a comment or two on mortars via reddit a couple months back that should be relevant here: