Most of the games i play, Squad leads have this obsession of placing FOBs directly on a cap zone, thinking of it as a great strategy. Often times I see FOBs placed on cap zones to be overrun fairly quickly.

Squads need to start putting FOBs and HABs in more strategic points that aren't so close and not so far.

So many players in this game are lazy in that they don't want to run to an objective that is 200m away.

This is a massively talked about on the forum. Try a search. 

1 hour ago, Smee said:

This is a massively talked about on the forum. Try a search. 

While not necessary, on other forums I frequent, when we tell people to try a search, we usually run a search ourselves and link them to a few relevant threads, to show how easy it was. :) 

7 minutes ago, Smee said:

Feel free too :)

I do when I'm the person telling people to run a search :)

4 hours ago, piggly_wiggles1 said:

Most of the games i play, Squad leads have this obsession of placing FOBs directly on a cap zone, thinking of it as a great strategy. Often times I see FOBs placed on cap zones to be overrun fairly quickly.

Squads need to start putting FOBs and HABs in more strategic points that aren't so close and not so far.

So many players in this game are lazy in that they don't want to run to an objective that is 200m away.

It really depends on the cap, the map and the terrain around said cap. 

- South DC for example (Logar). If I'm the militia, putting the FOB down on the W side of the cap isn't a big deal (as long as I have 400m from the South Res FOB). You have many compounds to place the HAB and have lots of cover to approach the cap zone. However if you're the US, putting the FOB down to the E of the cap IS a big deal, as it means your teammates have to run down the ****ing hill all exposed to get to the cap. You can put the FOB down on the hill, and stretch the HAB to the base of the hill (or there abouts) and that's not a big deal, but depending on how much time you have, you may not have time to do that. Which is why as the US, I generally will put that FOB right on the cap.
- Or on Yeho1. On Storage, you're putting the FOB down in the cap, no if and's or buts. To do so otherwise is pure stupidity.
There's also the fact that you have to worry about how one FOB will affect others. Which means depending on the map size (cough Sumari cough) that too will dictate your placement, as you're either going to be right in the middle and just on/off a cap, or well away from it so you can get down multiple FOBs.

So while generally you do not want your FOB/HAB right on the cap, there are other things to consider and thus one hard and fast rule doesn't work for all maps all the time.

Edited by Ti0mat

I'll usually place them near objectives rather than on top, but sometimes it's better directly on the cap. It's all a balance with risk versus reward. 

While placing FOBs near or away from objectives always ensures you have a spawn point closer than the main base, the enemy can just take advantage this.

Your squad which is building the FOB, is not actively engaged in combat. The enemy decides to rush the objective and are actively engaged in capping and combat, while also building a FOB. Now they have immediate team reinforcements and can easily defend against your further FOB.

On the other side, if they are caught by surprise and their logi or FOB is destroyed,  this can CRIPPLE their team and create a chain reaction of losing ALL your positions.

It's all risk versus reward and is never black and white. Sometimes I wish I rushed in to make a FOB because that safe FOB isn't providing enough overwhelming firepower on the enemy.

But in hindsight, we always know the best answer. I think both FOB strategies are great and each have their pros and cons.

Edited by Cavazos

On 1/11/2018 at 8:21 PM, Psyrus said:

I do when I'm the person telling people to run a search :)

BURN!

In all seriousness it depends on the map, faction and your squad & team's abilities. It's not a perfect method that works all the time or should be used all the time. On some maps it makes more sense than others. What I would say is that FOB/HAB that is on a cap must not be abandoned unless the cards are in your favor. I will go out of my way to dig up a previously placed FOB to save those 20 tickets but I have also in the past left a FOB to be eaten up however our entire team was already ahead of the enemy....It's a huge momentum swing but sometimes it's worth losing a FOB.

At the end of the day it's all about communications with the other SL's. If you're not an SL then let your SL call the shots and don't second guess them. If you feel your SL is new ask if he is and then ask if they would like your input before you give it. 

1 hour ago, Cavazos said:

Your squad which is building the FOB, is not actively engaged in combat. The enemy decides to rush the objective and are actively engaged in capping and combat, while also building a FOB. Now they have immediate team reinforcements and can easily defend against your further FOB.

On the other side, if they are caught by surprise and their logi or FOB is destroyed,  this can CRIPPLE their team and create a chain reaction of losing ALL your positions.

Good point. Other than a few specific maps and cap zones, I think the only time I'm putting a FOB down on the point is when I'm rushing it and know I'll be there first. Later on in the matches, whether offensive or defensive FOBs - but especially offensive FOBs, they're almost always placed off cap.

I made some experiments with FOB HABs. 

Place them on crazy places with amazing result. 

So i would say. People dont be scare to experiment with FOBs. Try play with it a little bit. 

1. Realize that there is almost no way to hide any FOB on map. Its simply not possible. So stop deep think about some sneaky FOB. 

=>  This will open you a new world of FOB strategy. 

2. FOB radius. Yes guys its huge area. Accept this fact and 

3. Dont overFOB. But when you get information that there is attack to HAB start thinking about new backup FOB. Think step forward and 

4. FOBs are not just sandbags. There are many assets. Well supplied FOB is valuable

5. FOB sacrifice. Its 20 tickets (+- from version to version) but its something. Recalculate tickets to time or momentum advantage. One enemy squad hunt FOB behind your line you use that enemy is -1 squad and advance. And 

6. BIG FOB is more valuable. Think about keep there FireTeam for protection it.  

=>  This will open you a new world of FOB strategy when you extend with FOB radius Objective Radius. 

7. Keep clean. When you leaving FOB and assault to new area. Clean area (good habit in real life imo anyway). 

8. Keep supply trucks Full. FOBs = Supply trucks. Its your responsibility to keep supplies from that moment for whole team. If you take it use it. 

11 hours ago, elerik said:

I made some experiments with FOB HABs. 

Place them on crazy places with amazing result. 

So i would say. People dont be scare to experiment with FOBs. Try play with it a little bit. 

7. Keep clean. When you leaving FOB and assault to new area. Clean area (good habit in real life imo anyway).

In watching the TA/wF match yesterday, this is one aspect that really stood out - how often they moved their own FOBs. Place one, leave it there for a while, then move it elsewhere. It helped that  they were in control of the entire game at all times, but even still, this was somewhat of a surprise to see players that diligent about it.

Edited by Ti0mat

On 1/11/2018 at 4:01 PM, piggly_wiggles1 said:

I watched Johnny's Twitch stream yesterday evening and within 5 minutes of the start of the match the Ruskies had a FOB up inside Popanov. Bear in mind, most of the players have 2000+ hours in Squad. Where else would you put it?

1 hour ago, Zylfrax791 said:

I watched Johnny's Twitch stream yesterday evening and within 5 minutes of the start of the match the Ruskies had a FOB up inside Popanov. Bear in mind, most of the players have 2000+ hours in Squad. Where else would you put it?

On that cap, there's only 2 places. Either to the E of the cap (either far E, or right by the fence on the E side), or right on the cap. And getting to the E side as the Russians if the US already have a FOB on the cap is a pain in the butt.

That's my favorite map, and I think I can count on one hand how many times I've seen successful attacks on that, that came from having a FOB elsewhere.

Edited by Ti0mat

most maps its pretty easy to find the fobs as they are very small maps and of course there is the radius and the direction you would expect them to come from before placing it...

Placing fob and radio on a flag is still imo a poor strategy on most maps ... I don't get putting a radio right next to the HAB ... first thing you always do is take down the hab so the radio is just gravy... 

more teams should utilise placing the HAB away from the radio and taking time to shift it so the enemy don't zone in on the hab area... biggest give away is 20 guys suddenly appearing from one direction....

other pet peeve is building hab radio.. and sticking mortars right next to it.... you might as well raise a flag and mark it on the map for the enemy ...

watching real film of mortars there are troop carried versions that are just wedged in the ground fired thenmoved... this would be a nice to have in the game...