YankeeSamurai

Why aren't you playing Squad?

2 hours ago, JD85 said:

I'm still playing V9 squad, but not as much as i was.

Agree with some of the other comments regarding playerbase issues. More frequently then ever i seem to be in games where a lot of people just don't know the basics of how flag caps work. I know to a degree that this knowledge should be reinforced by the SL's, but even some of them don't know how it works.

Personally, i'd like to see some more visual aids on the map reminding players of which flags need to be defended and which can be capped. Too often there are whole squads attacking flags that can't be capped whilst defence flags are left empty.

I know the whole point is to have SQUADS working together and coordinating, but that often isn't the case at the moment and a lot of people (either intentionally or through not understanding the basics) do not play the active objectives. 

Its not about some more visual aids. Its about humans brains. Its so easy to get so important information about flags. There is question mark on top right on map. Click ... and see all information about game. Reading for 1 minute and it explain all what everybody need to know. But how many people will click on it even its so  huge. People dont read any manual. There are many players who watched tutorial viedo before starting game. Those guys are valuable and know everything what is necessary to start play. But most of people come and even dont start at Firing range. They take RPG and fire frag on vehicles. Its about willingness to learn. How quality will be this guy in real life company if he is not able to do that in a pretty straight forward game ? And thats it. 

So why make life for people comfortable and easier when it leads just to degeneration and laziness.  Current time dont need those people. In other word. Game dont need those people. I dont want next to me someone who is not able to use a brain to think. And if those people just lost interest it will be better for both sides. Its tough attitude but i bet that everyone want i nsquad people who actualy at least think a little bit and are not lazy. Lazy people will not drive supply anytime. Thay everytime take just Marksmen or any other optic rifle and thay everytime in middle of game disconnect and make squad weaker.  So any challenge in game even its lack of information (which is not true, youtube, wiki, and communication Q&A in-game) is test if those people are able to play that game. 

3 hours ago, banOkay said:

I still drop below 60 fps, average nowhere close to 144 which is the refresh rate of my monitor and here you are saying we should up the requirements :D You should shill for better multicore support instead.

Well it’s not that, it’s people saying they can’t play Squad because of the low frames! 

The amount of people with potato PCs just amazes me!!! 

As as long as you get at least stable 60 plus frames at 1440p I wouldn’t really be bothered about getting 144 you don’t really need it in Squad 

9 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

To reward good play vs poor play they could link the respawn timer to the personal score you have achieved for that particular life. Of course OWI might have to tweak the scoring system but it needs work imho anyway. Capture a point, kill a couple of enemy and dig up an enemy FOB reduces your respawn timer. Whereas losing a vehicle qiickly without getting a kill, accidentally making a tk and giving up while incapacitated should significantly increase that respawn timer.

TLDR: Anything that scores positively decreases the respawn timer and anything scoring negatively increases it.

Yeah, I hope they are experimenting with different ways to make people realize their actions have consequences. As of now, there's really no obvious reason for a new player not to join a squad and go ramboing around doing whatever. To use ARMA for example, because it's such a PITA to get back into battle from the limited spawn points, and the map sizes make flying in the best option, you're reliant on other players to get you up and taxi you around. If you go solo, you spend all of your time out of the fight. Which is a great example of how the game environment encourages the playstyle the devs wanted. At a minimum, I think that slightly nerfing rallies alone would substantially change how people play the game.  

6 hours ago, ZXD_Lee said:

As as long as you get at least stable 60 plus frames at 1440p I wouldn’t really be bothered about getting 144 you don’t really need it in Squad 

Maybe that works for you but I can't aim at just 60 fps and playing at 60 Hz hurts my brain. I have a pretty good PC but defo want more fps so it's hardly potato PCs holding the game back, it's the engine/ developers...

I play now and then, but mostly with friends only.

Honestly, I just don't feel that much in public games. It's all down to what kind of a SL you have. It's good that team coordination has such a strong impact, but when you're solo, it's really just a slot machine.

Another problem that I have, even when playing with friends, is that most games are decided within the first few minutes. It's not fun to play when you already know it's gonna be a loss or a win. If your team fails to coordinate point taking, it's lost. If the enemy team rushes you and kills off a squad from an early point, the game is lost (unless your team did the same equally succesfully). After the first fights, in which people are still adjusting to the situation on the map and adjusting to the aggression of the opponent team, it's typical that one team took massively larger losses. From there, even if it develops to a stalemate or even if the losing team starts to gain some momentum, the game is still typically over.

It's a bit hard  to explain, but basically it goes like this: You have points A, B, C, D, E. Team 1 takes points A and B and because they won a big early fight, they also take point C. Team 2 is left with points D and E plus the loss of the big early fight for C. Because Team 1 knows they are leading, they can set the tempo. Team 2 is forced to be more aggressive, leading to even more losses. Even if Team 2 manages to get point C, it's usually too late and they are a hundred, or more, tickets behind.

You can call the game's outcome 90% of the time from the first five to ten minutes and that's a problem when the games take 45 minutes.

Edited by tzaeru

Honestly, waiting for V10 although that is more because of my clan mates wanting to wait than me. But very ready for a change in the rush meta and new higher tier content which goes beyond the infantry/APC focus. That and an updated insurgency mode will be what gets me playing thousands of hours. 

On 1/12/2018 at 2:07 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

With little to no incentive for a couple of squads to break off and rush to block the enemies first flags anymore you'll be seeing a 40 vs. 40 frenzied carnage fest at the central flag 3-5 minutes into the game with one side getting wiped.

This will be the new meta. Basically a linear racing game culminating in an overly centralized TKOTH engagement. At least v9 had strategies and tactics. From now forward AAS will be very predictable gameplay to where Squad will basically just be Insurgency or CS:GO with more players on a larger map.

Isn't that the whole idea of AAS? It's supposed to be predictable and linear. 

On 16/01/2018 at 12:45 AM, banOkay said:

Maybe that works for you but I can't aim at just 60 fps and playing at 60 Hz hurts my brain. I have a pretty good PC but defo want more fps so it's hardly potato PCs holding the game back, it's the engine/ developers...

I’m saying that’s the minimum you should be aiming for I get well over 100 frames at 1440 

On 1/17/2018 at 4:26 AM, tzaeru said:

It's a bit hard  to explain, but basically it goes like this: You have points A, B, C, D, E. Team 1 takes points A and B and because they won a big early fight, they also take point C. Team 2 is left with points D and E plus the loss of the big early fight for C. Because Team 1 knows they are leading, they can set the tempo. Team 2 is forced to be more aggressive, leading to even more losses. Even if Team 2 manages to get point C, it's usually too late and they are a hundred, or more, tickets behind.

You can call the game's outcome 90% of the time from the first five to ten minutes and that's a problem when the games take 45 minutes.

tzaeru good point... in PR we removed ticket bleed for this reason, which also slows down the idea that rushing to get control right of the start of a game will win you the round...

The psychology of video game players is predictable and you can most of the time count on a few key things:

- Never sit still.

- Go to where the action is.

So based on this psychology, even if there is no reason to advance based on no ticket bleed for a flag capture, the player's psychology of innately wanting to move forward and get into the action, will usually trump the concept of conserving tickets for a better position.

However this is psychology for public server games, it does not take into consideration carefully planned tournament rounds, where every ticket is carefully and deliberately fought over, and any and all advantage that can be used, will be.

30 minutes ago, fuzzhead said:

tzaeru good point... in PR we removed ticket bleed for this reason, which also slows down the idea that rushing to get control right of the start of a game will win you the round...

The psychology of video game players is predictable and you can most of the time count on a few key things:

- Never sit still.

- Go to where the action is.

So based on this psychology, even if there is no reason to advance based on no ticket bleed for a flag capture, the player's psychology of innately wanting to move forward and get into the action, will usually trump the concept of conserving tickets for a better position.

However this is psychology for public server games, it does not take into consideration carefully planned tournament rounds, where every ticket is carefully and deliberately fought over, and any and all advantage that can be used, will be.

Without ticket bleed there is literally no reason to cap points. 

You missed a third crucial behaviour

- camp or build super forts. 

4 hours ago, hansie said:

yes this is a new behaviour to me, which did not happen in previous games, mainly because Squad has such a robust/versatile system to facilitate the "lego building" of a large fortified position.

Curious to see how long a players attention holds on a "Super FOB"... at what point does one stop building a super FOB, and move on (abandon) it? after 10 min of no fighting? 15 min? 30min? 1 hour?

8 hours ago, hansie said:

Without ticket bleed there is literally no reason to cap points. 

here to bore people again I am... ... you are right there needs to be ticket bleed but as others have pointed out.. current meta.  rush a flag ..hold off enemy and try to delay and take out vehicles which reduces tickets... others cap flags... then fight over the 2 to last flag for a while, whilst tickets are wasted...

basically team death match.

Fobs/radios are next to useless to build up on most maps, they are currently used as glorified rally points and for the most part taken out quickly if fortified with a good few mortars and concerted attack... tends to be a couple of maps where it can be harder (radio station/policestation/).  

I would do a few things to encourage better use or protection of assets

Assault Vehicles don't cost tickets.. but you do not get an unlimited supply, so they need to be protected.

Fobs/radios do not cost tickets if they are captured, and like flags the more enemy near a fob the spawn timer goes up and eventually the enemy captures that fob like a flag and can  use the supply points that remain for building or spawning, so they have a choice to dig it out or keep it.  could make for some interesting battles around fortifications.. its not as if irl a fuel depo is found and all the fuel just disappears.

A rally needs supply points from fobs.. and S/L only has two available to place .. means fobs need good supply lines to keep attacking momentum going so supply lines become more important it would also slow down the rush, if a fob isn't up then squad only has two rallies and also their fob can be captured by the enemy.

I also agree that there is no real punishment for selfish play but I do repeat myself on that often. 

9 hours ago, embecmom said:

here to bore people again I am... ... you are right there needs to be ticket bleed but as others have pointed out.. current meta.  rush a flag ..hold off enemy and try to delay and take out vehicles which reduces tickets... others cap flags... then fight over the 2 to last flag for a while, whilst tickets are wasted...

basically team death match.

Fobs/radios are next to useless to build up on most maps, they are currently used as glorified rally points and for the most part taken out quickly if fortified with a good few mortars and concerted attack... tends to be a couple of maps where it can be harder (radio station/policestation/).  

I would do a few things to encourage better use or protection of assets

Assault Vehicles don't cost tickets.. but you do not get an unlimited supply, so they need to be protected.

Fobs/radios do not cost tickets if they are captured, and like flags the more enemy near a fob the spawn timer goes up and eventually the enemy captures that fob like a flag and can  use the supply points that remain for building or spawning, so they have a choice to dig it out or keep it.  could make for some interesting battles around fortifications.. its not as if irl a fuel depo is found and all the fuel just disappears.

A rally needs supply points from fobs.. and S/L only has two available to place .. means fobs need good supply lines to keep attacking momentum going so supply lines become more important it would also slow down the rush, if a fob isn't up then squad only has two rallies and also their fob can be captured by the enemy.

I also agree that there is no real punishment for selfish play but I do repeat myself on that often. 

If fobs didn't cost any tickets, they'd be used even more like teamwide rallys, completely disposable. There is a reason that locations like Radio/Police/Hilltop/Papanov/etc tend to be harder to capture, they are mostly enclosed by static fortifications that you can't shovel down in 30 seconds, blow up with arty, or simply climb over and are big enough to provide layers of defense inside. If deployables were tougher and tailored to providing a similar level of protection, you could gain the same level of protection anywhere on the map. Once V10 hits, you'll be able to easily climb over ANY deployable wall/hesco. 

https://giant.gfycat.com/PleasantSnivelingKusimanse.webm

Too tall to grapple over? Just drive a vic up to the wall and use that, it works, I've tested it out. We also finally might find a use for riflemen sandbags as a climbing boost.... There has been talk over the years of tactical ladders being included at some point as well. 

If you think it's easy to ninja into a FOB now, they'll fall like dominos in V10. 

I'm all in favor of FOB assets transferring to whoever takes it, they'd be far more useful that way. Make the HMGS able to be repositioned and you can use them and the mortars until the ammo runs out. 

15 hours ago, LugNut said:

If fobs didn't cost any tickets, they'd be used even more like teamwide rallys, completely disposable. 

yea fair point.. would need perhaps restrictions on no.s of fobs or make the build area and the 400 metre radio vs radio larger too.

I've just gotten back into it after a good few months away, but I'm starting to play less and less for a couple of reasons, like drop shotting, prone being useless because it neither hides you from the enemy (due to grass not rendering for them), and also blinds you (due to grass rendering for you). No weapon resting meaning SAW gunners are absolutely useless, combined with the above, some of the maps are just poorly balanced (Logar Valley either devolving into USA rushing MIL's first cap point with strykers, or setting up on the hillside with CROWS MRAPS and Strykers and being able to completely dominate the entirety of the map)

And my biggest gripe is the ME maps, I don't know why but they're starting to both infuriate and bore me at the same time. I'm jumping around servers just to play on the Eastern Euros ones because they're better designed and much better balanced (with the couple of exceptions such as Logar mentioned above).

I'd love to see some win/loss statistics for these maps.

Just spent about 6 hours straight playing. Not done that with a game in absolutely years.

It.s 2.30AM. Think I'll go to bed :D