YankeeSamurai

Why aren't you playing Squad?

Customers keeping interrupting me so I get shot or left behind by my squad, plus I need a new PC in the office as this one will only play Squad on low, pi$$ poor internet as well 8MB versus 150MB at home.

V10 spoiled me, but I'm still playing V9 when I have time. V9 is frustrating on many levels, maybe just because I've got a lot of hours in, but there is now a higher percentage of players either not capable, or not able to play in the way that you need to, leading to almost every match being a stompfest. Which leads to zero defending, since the stomping team can take all sorts of risks, and the losing team won't do it since they're clueless. 

Taking a cap, and a defended one as well is too easy, there isn't much fighting over a cap past the first few minutes. Whoever is there gets wiped, or wipes the attackers and then caps start to fall like dominoes. If defenses were tougher to destroy, they'd matter, right now, they don't. 

Rallys are essentially infinite spawn points, if they were slightly more limited, they'd be used more to rally squads, which would lead to more Squad centric movement and cohesion instead of a conveyor belt streaming into the cap. 

I'm tired of the endless rush meta, where each round is a Blitzkrieg. It's fun, but for the love of god, not every time. 

Idiots waste vehicles with no individually felt penalty. Which leads to idiots happily wasting vehicles. 

The bottom line is that the game doesn't reward good behavior and penalize bad behavior to the individual, so new players never learn how to play without vets there to teach them. Dying has no penalty, costing your team a bunch of tickets has no penalty. There isn't any incentive to run logis, to sit in an empty cap defending it, rallies aren't valued since they are so prevalent, fobs aren't valued since they are easy to place and difficult to defend. The best strategy is to hide them and just keep dropping more. No one cares about tickets since they have no personal value and are so abstract. 

2 hours ago, LugNut said:

I'm tired of the endless rush meta, where each round is a Blitzkrieg. It's fun, but for the love of god, not every time.

With little to no incentive for a couple of squads to break off and rush to block the enemies first flags anymore you'll be seeing a 40 vs. 40 frenzied carnage fest at the central flag 3-5 minutes into the game with one side getting wiped.

This will be the new meta. Basically a linear racing game culminating in an overly centralized TKOTH engagement. At least v9 had strategies and tactics. From now forward AAS will be very predictable gameplay to where Squad will basically just be Insurgency or CS:GO with more players on a larger map.

Edited by Zylfrax791
Android Auto Correct

3 hours ago, LugNut said:

V10 spoiled me, but I'm still playing V9 when I have time. V9 is frustrating on many levels, maybe just because I've got a lot of hours in, but there is now a higher percentage of players either not capable, or not able to play in the way that you need to, leading to almost every match being a stompfest. Which leads to zero defending, since the stomping team can take all sorts of risks, and the losing team won't do it since they're clueless. 

Taking a cap, and a defended one as well is too easy, there isn't much fighting over a cap past the first few minutes. Whoever is there gets wiped, or wipes the attackers and then caps start to fall like dominoes. If defenses were tougher to destroy, they'd matter, right now, they don't. 

Rallys are essentially infinite spawn points, if they were slightly more limited, they'd be used more to rally squads, which would lead to more Squad centric movement and cohesion instead of a conveyor belt streaming into the cap. 

Idiots waste vehicles with no individually felt penalty. Which leads to idiots happily wasting vehicles. 

The bottom line is that the game doesn't reward good behavior and penalize bad behavior to the individual, so new players never learn how to play without vets there to teach them. Dying has no penalty, costing your team a bunch of tickets has no penalty. There isn't any incentive to run logis, to sit in an empty cap defending it, rallies aren't valued since they are so prevalent, fobs aren't valued since they are easy to place and difficult to defend. The best strategy is to hide them and just keep dropping more. No one cares about tickets since they have no personal value and are so abstract.

A lot of these are not gameplay mechanics problems, but playerbase problems. Seems to me that the individual skill level has significantly decreased lately. People just don't know how to play. Today, in 2 matches on full 40v40 server, I was the only SL on the team who placed HABs. It's not that people are dickheads or anything - it's that they don't know what to do.

Also, as I've said in this and other threads before, a lot of these problems stem from the fact players can't form stable in-game connections with other players and therefore the community ends up very fractured and the spirit of teamwork doesn't extend beyond a single match or at best a single session on a server. It is unforgivable that a game that primarily focuses on player interaction and coordination offers far less ingame tools for it than more "casual" games like World of Tanks or Wargame series.

Edited by tatzhit

9 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

You play standing up?  Am I the only one doing it wrong? I thought all them gaming chairs were also for fps games and not just the racing ones.

lols, no. must be the Aussie slang - "get off ya bum" trans.> "make some effort" (stop sitting - doing nothing)

;)

On 1/9/2018 at 1:37 AM, Socrates said:

I've pretty much exhausted most of my entertainment and surprises in V9 in general. So, I'm waiting for V10 to come.

Ditto

At this point I'm just waiting for Squad as a whole to develop more. I definitely can't go back to V9 after having a taste of V10, but even that wasn't an overwhelmingly new experience. All the new tweaks and features and animations were nice and all, but in general it still felt the same. So unless they add the brits in V10 I highly doubt I'll be playing even then(and even if they do It'll be a few matches to get a taste or spend time on the range before I put it down again).

I'll just wait for Squad to develop and get closer to an PR experience in terms of mechanics and content, and come back around beta or release. Recently I'm starting to feel too burnt out on too many EA games.

Edited by Chompster

On 1/12/2018 at 10:11 AM, LugNut said:

Very well said.

On 1/12/2018 at 10:11 AM, LugNut said:

I reread this and you made some other interesting points. That said, I don't think there's any perfect equation that you can apply to Squad that can magically address these factors you brought up.

For example, within the scope of your observations the developers could do a number of things to change the overall paradigm.  They could potentially create the classic Pavlovian reward/penalty system which would harness and channel people's instinctual animalistic behavior and mold them in some fashion or another.

But you have to ask yourself is this what we really want? On one aspect you are correct and on another your observations are slightly incorrect though. As it stands now you're totally correct that Squad itself has no built in feature that offers "incentives" to be a good player.

On the other hand, while you're mostly correct about penalties Squad does kick you from a match after 7 team kills. However, the only other penalties for bad behavior are addressed by 3rd party server host.

So within your narrative what solutions do you offer? A video game is but a mere pastime... a transient diversion from our daily lives. What "incentives" could Squad (or any FPS for that matter) offer a player to give him/her a virtual pat on the head?

The only system I see that even remotely would corral folks and address your points would be your standard statistics and perks system and maybe even shaming players by showing negative categories like vehicles lost etc.

Just being satirical here but on the other side of the coin how about rewards? What if every month we had a CSW Tiger Blood Uber Squadie with the highest KDR, most flags capped, highest points highest everything you could think of and they get some swag like a hat/hoodie/game key?

On 09/01/2018 at 8:06 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

Lol... I've got no dog in this fight. As my kid just pointed out 23,000 people alone  are playing a snow plow simulation on Roblox. Of course I know it's a niche game. I'm simply responding to OP's general question regarding lack of players.

There’s like 100 million clash of clans players daily!!! Remember Squad is in alpha and there’s a lot of potato pc’s That can hardly run it so for some retarded reason they’re waiting for some sort of amazing miracle that’s never going happen that they’ll be able to run Squad at decent frames 

that’s a point if I was OWI I would put the minimum specs much higher don’t have any old crappy AMD stuff 

57 minutes ago, ZXD_Lee said:

There’s like 100 million clash of clans players daily!!! Remember Squad is in alpha and there’s a lot of potato pc’s That can hardly run it so for some retarded reason they’re waiting for some sort of amazing miracle that’s never going happen that they’ll be able to run Squad at decent frames 

that’s a point if I was OWI I would put the minimum specs much higher don’t have any old crappy AMD stuff 

I agree with you so much. I understand that lowering the minimum requirements opens the potential for more players and more revenue but what happens to those with decent hardware? 

We have already seen, lighting and smoke effects reduced. :(  The lighting is off on many maps i feel now, darks are too crushed and whites are burnt out.

On 1/12/2018 at 2:07 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

With little to no incentive for a couple of squads to break off and rush to block the enemies first flags anymore you'll be seeing a 40 vs. 40 frenzied carnage fest at the central flag 3-5 minutes into the game with one side getting wiped.

This will be the new meta. Basically a linear racing game culminating in an overly centralized TKOTH engagement. At least v9 had strategies and tactics. From now forward AAS will be very predictable gameplay to where Squad will basically just be Insurgency or CS:GO with more players on a larger map.

I'm not sure. Rushing is still a viable strategy in V10, I saw it succeed several times with a strong team, it's just harder and therefore riskier. To avoid having each map play out without a battle over the same damn caps, each and every time, why not add in both random first spawns and random cap placements? Then, you'd never know where the enemy is and would actually have to plan a varying strategy in the ready up. 

2 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

I reread this and you made some other interesting points. That said, I don't think there's any perfect equation that you can apply to Squad that can magically address these factors you brought up.

For example, within the scope of your observations the developers could do a number of things to change the overall paradigm.  They could potentially create the classic Pavlovian reward/penalty system which would harness and channel people's instinctual animalistic behavior and mold them in some fashion or another.

But you have to ask yourself is this what we really want? On one aspect you are correct and on another your observations are slightly incorrect though. As it stands now you're totally correct that Squad itself has no built in feature that offers "incentives" to be a good player.

On the other hand, while you're mostly correct about penalties Squad does kick you from a match after 7 team kills. However, the only other penalties for bad behavior are addressed by 3rd party server host.

So within your narrative what solutions do you offer? A video game is but a mere pastime... a transient diversion from our daily lives. What "incentives" could Squad (or any FPS for that matter) offer a player to give him/her a virtual pat on the head?

The only system I see that even remotely would corral folks and address your points would be your standard statistics and perks system and maybe even shaming players by showing negative categories like vehicles lost etc.

Just being satirical here but on the other side of the coin how about rewards? What if every month we had a CSW Tiger Blood Uber Squadie with the highest KDR, most flags capped, highest points highest everything you could think of and they get some swag like a hat/hoodie/game key?

I don't propose to have any great answers, but for me personally, I like games where there is the potential at least for each match to play out in new ways, with players having to think on their feet to succeed, and by success, I mean having an engaging experience, win or lose. Unlike some people who just love to go to the same place on a map since they know it's a good spot, and recreate their HAB, or sniping location, or BTR overwatch, or whatever, I'd much rather have to improvise in a new landscape. I like sandbox games, I don't like scripted ones. 

Squad does work well in many ways, but since the map layers are the same, they often replay the same. We all learn the best routes, the best HAB locations, the best spots where armor can support, and how to counter that. We all know where the enemy mains are, we all know where they are coming from, each and every time. We've got big freaking maps, why not use more of them? Why not random infantry spawns at the start of the round, or cap spawns? At least, why not multiple layers of the same map? I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sick of fighting over Storage, or any of the similar caps that everyone rushes. What about sequential reveals of the caps? You can't see the next one until you cap this one sort of thing. Or, the SL's can select the caps on your side of the map in the ready up, multiple choices for the A cap, B cap etc. 

The biggest penalty in game is to sit twiddling your thumbs while you look at a spawn countdown. To make people value their life, make death that much more unpleasant. If you were facing a long respawn, you'd learn to stick with your squad and it's medics, you'd be careful with your rallies, and you'd defend your HABs. You'd learn not to rush in alone with guns blazing, you'd wait until you had backup to increase your odds. Every time you die, make it obvious what that ticket will cost you. "If you give up, you'll have to wait an extra 45 seconds at respawn" That sort of thing. 

Make it take 3x longer to dig down defences and all of a sudden building fortifications pays off. If you think fortifications are easy to defeat now, wait until V10 when you can just climb over lol. Uncouple fortifications from radios and tie them to a logi delivered big ass ammo crate and now you can place them in strategic locations, like roadblocks and fire positions without worrying about it being a giant redflag as to where your spawnpoint is. While it'll now be easier to defend a fortified HAB, make it reliant on logis to balance it. No points = no respawns, and when you mouse over the spawn, it'd say how many tickets/respawns are left. If the other team can't manage to fight their way in, they can starve it. 

Give vehicle crews a long respawn and you can bet they'd learn not to be careless, they'd ask for infantry support when venturing in close and would mostly stand off where it's safer. I'd like to see squad wide penalties for vehicle losses, as long as you claim it, everyone takes a respawn hit if it goes down. 

If rallies weren't so easy to keep up endlessly, you certainly would see players taking care of their transports, you might even see players actually *gasp* driving transports as a role instead of taxiing in and dumping them. As it is now, the team that can surround a cap with a HAB and rallies will win it, since no matter how skilled they are, they'll win the respawn battle eventually. If those respawn points were less available, the team who can keep players streaming into the cap in truckfuls will win. 

By rewards, I guess I mean that you'll have a better experience if you play within the restraints of the game environment, not that you'll get significant perks or unlocks. I could see a very slight stamina boost, or a suppression nerf maybe based on time spent in the proximity of your squaddies, some thing like that maybe? That would help you if you sit in a cap defending, or move together as a squad across the map. I think more along the lines of if you play like your life matters, you'll be rewarded by a more fun experience, and if you don't, you'll get the respawn dope slap. As it is now, it often is more beneficial for you to give up to get back into the cap quicker instead of waiting for a revive, and that is just counter to what I expect Squad to be. 

7 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

I would love to see some stats on the following:

- Points for captured flags

- Points for contested flags (aka defending/attacking)

- Tickets for vehicles killed

- Tickets for vehicles lost

All of those would be ones that would be pretty easy to quantify. Personally, I'm fine without the reward... just being able to point to someone doing well... as well as being able to point out when they do badly would be enough.

12 hours ago, LugNut said:

The biggest penalty in game is to sit twiddling your thumbs while you look at a spawn countdown. To make people value their life, make death that much more unpleasant. If you were facing a long respawn, you'd learn to stick with your squad and it's medics, you'd be careful with your rallies, and you'd defend your HABs. You'd learn not to rush in alone with guns blazing, you'd wait until you had backup to increase your odds. Every time you die, make it obvious what that ticket will cost you. "If you give up, you'll have to wait an extra 45 seconds at respawn" That sort of thing. 

To reward good play vs poor play they could link the respawn timer to the personal score you have achieved for that particular life. Of course OWI might have to tweak the scoring system but it needs work imho anyway. Capture a point, kill a couple of enemy and dig up an enemy FOB reduces your respawn timer. Whereas losing a vehicle qiickly without getting a kill, accidentally making a tk and giving up while incapacitated should significantly increase that respawn timer.

TLDR: Anything that scores positively decreases the respawn timer and anything scoring negatively increases it.

16 hours ago, ZXD_Lee said:

You are wrong ! i have a potatoe pc and i get +20 with V10. So yes V10 is a miracle as you say.

36 minutes ago, selecto said:

You are wrong ! i have a potatoe pc and i get +20 with V10. So yes V10 is a miracle as you say.

you cant play at 20 upgrade!!! I had one of the guys moaning that he keeps on dropping frames and he hopes it gets fixed soon, he was dropping from 110 to 90 

I’ve said this a few times before! Having people with potato PC’s isn’t good at all! They slow down development they hold back progress and people that have decent PCs have to suffer!! 

I can blame developers a bit for this in the way that they have the minimum specs way too low! Maybe to get people to buy the game? 

Minimum specs are a i5-2500k you can just about get away with this but also a GTX 770 or AMD HD 7870!!!! 

Should be 970 or a 390 

also its 8gb minimum should be 16gb 

its  basically the recommended specs 

but I would say recommend should be 

i5 6700k  

16gb 

It’s 2018 not 2010 

We have only 3 real big maps (Yehorivka, Kohat Toi River and Gorodok) about 15-18 square km. 3 of 11 maps...too little. 

For me we must have bigger maps to encourage the use of vehicles, strategy and the sanbox aspect.

Maps like Kokan, Logar, etc. (3-5 square km) aren t good for a game like Squad with 80 (100) players. The minimum size should be like a Mestia (10 km?)

I'm still playing V9 squad, but not as much as i was.

Agree with some of the other comments regarding playerbase issues. More frequently then ever i seem to be in games where a lot of people just don't know the basics of how flag caps work. I know to a degree that this knowledge should be reinforced by the SL's, but even some of them don't know how it works.

Personally, i'd like to see some more visual aids on the map reminding players of which flags need to be defended and which can be capped. Too often there are whole squads attacking flags that can't be capped whilst defence flags are left empty.

I know the whole point is to have SQUADS working together and coordinating, but that often isn't the case at the moment and a lot of people (either intentionally or through not understanding the basics) do not play the active objectives. 

4 hours ago, ZXD_Lee said:

I’ve said this a few times before! Having people with potato PC’s isn’t good at all! They slow down development they hold back progress and people that have decent PCs have to suffer!! 

I can blame developers a bit for this in the way that they have the minimum specs way too low! Maybe to get people to buy the game? 

Minimum specs are a i5-2500k you can just about get away with this but also a GTX 770 or AMD HD 7870!!!! 

Should be 970 or a 390 

also its 8gb minimum should be 16gb 

its  basically the recommended specs 

but I would say recommend should be 

i5 6700k  

16gb 

It’s 2018 not 2010 

I still drop below 60 fps, average nowhere close to 144 which is the refresh rate of my monitor and here you are saying we should up the requirements :D You should shill for better multicore support instead.