Jump to content
YankeeSamurai

Why aren't you playing Squad?

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, embecmom said:

not sure why that's a bad thing, it all comes down the one you join... I can join many a bad server in other games hosted by the company that designed it.. all they do is put an automated voting system in there and you end up being vote kicked by the  14 year  fat boy who suddenly found his vocation in life trolling others, whilst hiding in his dark room swilling coke.  

 

That's a hypothetical straw man argument that's irrelevant in this narrative as Squad has no such voting system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zylfrax791 said:

That's a hypothetical straw man argument that's irrelevant in this narrative as Squad has no such voting system.

but your whole argument has been hypothetical given you take what you wish from the statistics and suggesting there are agenda's on clan servers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Did I not make this clear enough? OWI hosts and staffs official servers. Just like every other game company. It's simply the cost of doing business.

 

Name a current FPS game that hosts and actively "staffs" their servers. I honestly can't think of one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Melbo said:

So basically giving people (not OWI) admin access to "official" servers with no guarantee of anyone even joining. Sorry but something like that will probably never happen. 

There's an obvious filtering process and selection but otherwise it's worth looking into. This selection can be done via skype like a lot of companies nowadays that hire online via webcam/mic. Just don't be asking people for their social insurance numbers because no one will fall for that. From a cost perspective I'm sure the developers of the game can work something out with the server providers to save some money if it means more advertisement and therefore more investment. And since you guys are the developers of the game you can also prioritize your official servers to come up first in the server browser ;) 

 

All I'm saying is that it's worth a look into, that's all. Instead of continuously begging the veterans of the game to teach newbies without any actual guarantee this will be done properly or at all, at least you now have a solid way of ensuring proper introduction to the game for the newbies by people you approve of yourselves. Official volunteers. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, embecmom said:

but your whole argument has been hypothetical given you take what you wish from the statistics and suggesting there are agenda's on clan servers.  

Nothing hypothetical about Valve hosting servers for their games for example. Go ahead and come up with your own explanation how Squad can have exponential sales growth of 559,910 concurrent owners and yet only averages around 2500 daily player averages with close to 500 empty private servers.

 

http://steamcharts.com/app/393380

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Nothing hypothetical about Valve hosting servers for their games for example. Go ahead and come up with your own explanation how Squad can have exponential sales growth of 559,910 concurrent owners and yet only averages around 2500 daily player averages with close to 500 empty private servers.

 

http://steamcharts.com/app/393380

 

 

Sure, they host them as do a lot of the big AAA games which we are not. I can tell you for a fact they don't admin them or "staff" them in any way.

 

As for your fascination about the number of owners to players, as I said before it's a niche game. Look at RS2:V. A "realistic" tactical shooter. It has pretty similar stats. Games like these do not attract the big hordes of players. 

 

http://steamspy.com/app/393380

http://steamspy.com/app/418460

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be interested to see how v10 changes the statistics. I'm pretty optimistic that we'll see a spike in daily averages (beyond temporary, hopefully). I've notice while going back to v9.17, after testing v10, that there are quite a few new players that jumped in after seeing v10 (per conversations). That in addition to vets that are on the sidelines until v10 should bring numbers up. The game will still be niche, but one that satisfies a void in the current market, and does it well. 

 

I believe with v10/future stability, we'll see player consistency within reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Melbo said:

Sure, they host them as do a lot of the big AAA games which we are not. I can tell you for a fact they don't admin them or "staff" them in any way.

 

As for your fascination about the number of owners to players, as I said before it's a niche game. Look at RS2:V. A "realistic" tactical shooter. It has pretty similar stats. Games like these do not attract the big hordes of players. 

 

http://steamspy.com/app/393380

http://steamspy.com/app/418460

Lol... I've got no dog in this fight. As my kid just pointed out 23,000 people alone  are playing a snow plow simulation on Roblox. Of course I know it's a niche game. I'm simply responding to OP's general question regarding lack of players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Wouldn't it make sense that the majority of key holders that no longer play Squad most likely will never even see this thread? Just saying.

True, but I assumed (correctly) that there would be people who, while inactive in Squad, nevertheless continue to follow the forums because they're hanging onto some degree of interest in the game and/or its community. And I think there is value in revealing what that group of players has to say.

Edited by YankeeSamurai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Squad is kind of hard for an average CoD kid to get into, which probably explains why few people play it. I'd guess numbers for ARMA games are similar.

 

As for things that make me think about taking a break from Squad:


1. Lack of an intuitive, easy in-game way of building lasting relationships with people beyond a single match. A "friendlist" system, being able to see which of my friends are on which server, a separate "friends" chat, way to invite friends to your server... there are many ways to form connections with players which are used in other games, all of these are missing in Squad, and this is an unforgivable oversight in a game which is primarily about player interaction.
And yeah, I can connect with ppl on Steam or Skype or whatever. Or I can cyberstalk them and buy a plane ticket to their house. A game shouldn't be forcing me to use external systems in order to partially compensate for glaring design flaws.

 

2. Recent influx of new and clueless players and SLs. I suppose it's good that they're keeping the game alive, but... Let's just say that I'm naturally a very calm and easygoing person, but yesterday we had 3 matches in which a full 9-person squad proceeded to sit on first flag and mortar nothing, while the rest of the team kind of ineffectually flailed about the map... so I quit.
It's not that people were unresponsive either - they simply didn't know how to play effectively.

 

3. Repetitive gameplay. I suppose this just comes down to me playing the game too much. That, combined with #1 and #2, which means I can never depend on my team... in a game that's primarily about teamwork.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

"Helping"? Private servers host all the servers and represent the first thing a new player sees when they enter the game.

 

That said, I politely disagree. Whilst I certainly appreciate clan hosts more than most average players to the tune of hundreds of dollars I've contributed to them over the last year and a half it's a simple fact that private servers have their own agenda that is separate from OWI in some respects.

 

This is why private servers should not be the vanguard and instead the "Front Office" of Squad should be around 10 official servers staffed by goodwill ambassadors so to speak.

 

I'm not basing my opinion on a "hunch" or a "gut feeling" either. The statitical timeline shows exponential growth in sales contrasted with an opposing flatline of players with occasional bumps corresponding to free weekends and patch releases.

 

I don't know, maybe I'm way off base. I'd like to hear anyones explanation of how a game with over half a million sales only has 2500 daily players and plenty of room with literally hundreds of empty servers.

Two things:

One, if you have an issue with how private servers are ran then make a case and present it to OWI for them to amend their server licensing agreement. If you feel strongly enough that private groups are promoting their own agenda over OWI's within their servers then do something about it.

 

Two, you, like so many others, are caught up in the useless metric of player count. That number does nothing other than point out that people are playing the game at any given moment. If you want a more useful metric then use https://steamdb.info/app/393380/graphs/ and check out unique players over a two week period. Almost 100k different people have played Squad in the last two weeks. Thats almost 20% of the total ownership base. That number is well in line with most titles across Steam, especially so considering Squad is neither F2P or fully released.

5 hours ago, Melbo said:

Who will these "goodwill ambassadors" be? What will they get for dedicating an absolutely massive amount of time needed to do this? It's a mammoth ask for something like that to happen which is probably why it's never been done before.

 

As for the number of sales to players ratio, it's very similar stats to RS2:V I believe. Very niche games.

I will say there was a time when certain server admin groups were given admin status on the partnered servers during free weekends. I had such access back when I was still helping run Desmo's Playground. I don't remember which free weekend it was but I do remember making a conscious choice to not play on our server and to instead play on the partnered servers. It was not a good experience. I spent most of the time purely in admin mode warning, kicking and banning trolls and teamkillers.

 

I only point that out to say that Squad gameplay is best when both teams are founded around a cadre of experienced players. Those cadres already exist in the private servers where they cultivate relationships with fellow players. Trying to create them in new servers merely to call them "official" would be a huge waste of dollars and man hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PolishKruk said:

Two things:

One, if you have an issue with how private servers are ran then make a case and present it to OWI for them to amend their server licensing agreement. If you feel strongly enough that private groups are promoting their own agenda over OWI's within their servers then do something about it.

How do you know I already haven't?

 

Quote

 

Two, you, like so many others, are caught up in the useless metric of player count. That number does nothing other than point out that people are playing the game at any given moment. If you want a more useful metric then use https://steamdb.info/app/393380/graphs/ and check out unique players over a two week period. Almost 100k different people have played Squad in the last two weeks. Thats almost 20% of the total ownership base. That number is well in line with most titles across Steam, especially so considering Squad is neither F2P or fully released.

The irony here is you'd cite the very statistic that actually shows the transient nature of the players over that time period when you compare that number against the daily peak players which stays at a relatively constant rate. Anyone that's taken a basic high school statistics class could make this inference.

 

Quote

I only point that out to say that Squad gameplay is best when both teams are founded around a cadre of experienced players. Those cadres already exist in the private servers where they cultivate relationships with fellow players. Trying to create them in new servers merely to call them "official" would be a huge waste of dollars and man hours.

I've got no problem with folks going off and doing their own private thing. As I've stated previously I've even supported numerous private servers financially.

 

Irrespective of that however this doesn't negate the fact that the supplemental rule sets of private servers create an inconsistent environment for new players.

 

Official OWI servers would provide a consistent and professional environment for new players that would grow the community as opposed to your doom and gloom scenario.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Zylfrax791
Android Auto Correct

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

V6 trough V9 been the same and has gotten to the point that it became to linear/restrictive/arcady to my liking. 
Just waiting for V10 and what it has to offer. 









 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Melbo said:

Who will these "goodwill ambassadors" be? What will they get for dedicating an absolutely massive amount of time needed to do this? It's a mammoth ask for something like that to happen which is probably why it's never been done before.

 

As for the number of sales to players ratio, it's very similar stats to RS2:V I believe. Very niche games.

 

Someone paid or compensated by OWI to promote their version of gaming as well as teaching newer players. But like you said... it's time intensive, and there would have to be some sort of compensation for them to do so - and just having admin isn't nearly enough, because once you have it, you have to deal with shit that crops up in game when you're there.

16 hours ago, Melbo said:

So basically giving people (not OWI) admin access to "official" servers with no guarantee of anyone even joining. Sorry but something like that will probably never happen. 

That's because seeding servers isn't easy, and you need bodies to do it, as well as having admins around to handle issues. Just because it's not likely to happen, doesn't mean it's not a good idea. Right now OWI is entirely dependent on the clans within squad to A) host servers, B) provide a quality environment for players, C) take on teaching new players and D) do so on their own dime. And while 3 of those are not big issues and clans are wiling to do it... the teaching aspect frequently gets overlooked due to the lack of incentive to do so. Yes on a grander scale we should all be wanting to do this, just for longevity of the game, and an increase in the quality of the players overall. That said, if I only have X amount of time to play, would I rather play, or spend it teaching new players? Sometimes you can do both... sometimes just dealing with 1 new player is very challenging - especially if they do not get some of the mechanics of the game. Other times you just want to play and have fun with your friends.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, tatzhit said:

I think Squad is kind of hard for an average CoD kid to get into, which probably explains why few people play it. I'd guess numbers for ARMA games are similar.

 

As for things that make me think about taking a break from Squad:


1. Lack of an intuitive, easy in-game way of building lasting relationships with people beyond a single match. A "friendlist" system, being able to see which of my friends are on which server, a separate "friends" chat, way to invite friends to your server... there are many ways to form connections with players which are used in other games, all of these are missing in Squad, and this is an unforgivable oversight in a game which is primarily about player interaction.
And yeah, I can connect with ppl on Steam or Skype or whatever. Or I can cyberstalk them and buy a plane ticket to their house. A game shouldn't be forcing me to use external systems in order to partially compensate for glaring design flaws.

 

2. Recent influx of new and clueless players and SLs. I suppose it's good that they're keeping the game alive, but... Let's just say that I'm naturally a very calm and easygoing person, but yesterday we had 3 matches in which a full 9-person squad proceeded to sit on first flag and mortar nothing, while the rest of the team kind of ineffectually flailed about the map... so I quit.
It's not that people were unresponsive either - they simply didn't know how to play effectively.

 

3. Repetitive gameplay. I suppose this just comes down to me playing the game too much. That, combined with #1 and #2, which means I can never depend on my team... in a game that's primarily about teamwork.

1. My biggest grip about Squad (in terms of how the game is played) is that the ability to just generally BS as you're playing is significantly less then say a game like BF4. That's actually the biggest thing I miss about my old BF4 clan. You could play the game, while also bullshitting about your day, and whatnot. In Squad due to how it's setup, that's a lot harder to do - at least while being effective in the game.

 

2. Agree completely. Unfortunately for that, all you can do is hope and admin is around and can threaten them to get off the inactive flag, and to fight on the active objectives (or at least close to them).

 

3. This I find is actually not an issue. I have 2700 hours in the game, and while yes the games are frequently the same... as long as the SL quality is fairly even (or even close to even), the game, while similar is always different, and still entertaining.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ti0mat said:

1. My biggest grip about Squad (in terms of how the game is played) is that the ability to just generally BS as you're playing is significantly less then say a game like BF4. That's actually the biggest thing I miss about my old BF4 clan. You could play the game, while also bullshitting about your day, and whatnot. In Squad due to how it's setup, that's a lot harder to do - at least while being effective in the game.

 

2. Agree completely. Unfortunately for that, all you can do is hope and admin is around and can threaten them to get off the inactive flag, and to fight on the active objectives (or at least close to them).

 

3. This I find is actually not an issue. I have 2700 hours in the game, and while yes the games are frequently the same... as long as the SL quality is fairly even (or even close to even), the game, while similar is always different, and still entertaining.

 

 

 

1. So, something like a separate "friends" voice channel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, tatzhit said:

1. So, something like a separate "friends" voice channel?

 

I don't even think it's that. I mean I'm in TS with my buddies when playing, so I have that already... it's just that if you're even playing half serious there's so much going on that you do not really have a lot of spare time to BS. In BF you'd die 15-30 times and have that as down time. In squad you die 5-15 times, but unless your buddies die at the same time, they're probably not going to be all that interested in chatting. For whatever reason (and especially if you're SLing) the overall game play is much more serious in Squad. Which I love. But this is one of the downsides to it that I dislike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waiting for v10....and waiting...and waiting...and waiting....and waiting....and waiting

Shit i have been waitng since JULY when they put out the motion capture vid. Now that i have a taste its hard to play v9.

Edited by ♠DEG♠

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

tho i really should get off me bum and play a bit :D

You play standing up?  Am I the only one doing it wrong? I thought all them gaming chairs were also for fps games and not just the racing ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×