Posted (edited)

I personally think that the anti tank weapons currently are way too overpowered seeing how fast you can get killed if you are in a vehicle. anti tank weapons are heavy and are not easy to keep still for a longer period of time. I personally would like to see improvement on it, perhaps adding more weapon sway which you can stabilize briefly (like a ''really'' heavy sniper rifle), or giving missiles the chance to bounce off would solve this problem

Edited by TzeAzzazino

I agree that it should be harder to aim rocket launchers but the way heat rounds work its almost impossible for it to bounce off unless its going basically parallel with the armour, I think adding a slight random rocket deviation would be much better, right now they are basically snipers with how straight they shoot

I disagree.

A Stryker can take 3 RPG’s and still just about trundle back to main for repairs if the gods smile on you and your crew.

Scout Cars are reasonably durable for what they are.

In service BTR’s and, If I recall correctly, most APC’s are capable of withstanding small arms fire only, not anti-tank weaponry.

The solution should not be the power of The AT weaponry you contend with, but the drivers positioning and how they make use of the APC/vehicle. 

Driving into a city is, and always should be a death sentence. Traversing woodlands in a vehicle is also a pretty risky thing to be doing.

I’d argue that the curse of using vehicles is that, despite their firepower, they are inherently vulnerable. And I’d like to see it stay that way :) 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TzeAzzazino said:

I personally think that the anti tank weapons currently are way too overpowered seeing how fast you can get killed if you are in a vehicle. anti tank weapons are heavy and are not easy to keep still for a longer period of time. I personally would like to see improvement on it, perhaps adding more weapon sway which you can stabilize briefly (like a ''really'' heavy sniper rifle), or giving missiles the chance to bounce off would solve this problem

It's actually much easier to use man-portable AT systems than you'd think. A loaded RPG-7 with a HEAT round only weighs about 10 kg and the rear bell of the launcher acts as a counterbalance for the warhead. It's designed to be easy to use, and in reality, it certainly is. Same goes for the M72 and RPG-26. I suppose the tandem HEAT that HAT kits use would be a little harder to hold steady, but it wouldn't be impossible.

Aside from that, any kind of AP round (i.e. the PG-7VL the LATs use) is going to penetrate the lighter armor of the APCs and light vehicles in game pretty much regardless of the impact angle, a ricochet is possible but very unlikely when that kind of munition is used which is why modern armor is designed to absorb the impact rather than deflect it.

Edited by jellyswim

The AT weapons are unrealistically underpowered right now. IRL even older RPG HEAT warheads have penetration of ~400mm RHA, and BTR80 armor is 10mm RHA. And they are quite accurate IRL, RPG is considered virtually foolproof against a static vehicle out to 200m or more, which is far better than most AT users can shoot ingame.

But that's OK, because game balance. The vehicle crews in Squad tend to be unrealistically incompetent too. When used properly (sniping from 200m out in a hull-down position, with friendlies providing overwatch), a vehicle in virtually invincible. Unfortunately, most vehicle crews simply YOLO them into the midst of enemy lines, then cry about AT being overpowered.

10 minutes ago, jellyswim said:

It's actually much easier to use man-portable AT systems than you'd think. A loaded RPG-7 with a HEAT round only weighs about 10 kg and the rear bell of the launcher acts as a counterbalance for the warhead. It's designed to be easy to use, and in reality, it certainly is. Same goes for the M72 and RPG-26. I suppose the tandem HEAT that HAT kits use would be a little harder to hold steady, but it wouldn't be impossible.

Aside from that, any kind of AP round (i.e. the PG-7VL the LATs use) is going to penetrate the lighter armor of the APCs and light vehicles in game pretty much regardless of the impact angle, a ricochet is possible but very unlikely when that kind of munition is used which is why modern armor is designed to absorb the impact rather than deflect it.

i have shot anti tank weapons multiple times in my time in time in the military and i can tell you that no one is going to be able to pop up from around a corner or a window while having sprinted for a while and being able to accurately hit a target at 400 meters as easy as it currently is. these weapons are bulky and fairly heavy and take a considerable amount of time to aline accurately at a target. the amount of effort it takes to locate, aim and hit a vehicle right now is just way to low the weapon is almost immediatly being held steady when aimed down sights, while in reality you must perform your shooters principles really carefully and concentrated.

most like .... crew of vehicles are not skilled enough. Every day I see how people act suicidish with their vehicles. Wait .... when skilled player will come back. I bet that we will see cry from oposite. "Oh dear .... vehicleas are overpowered" .... dear dear. Yes iam sarcastic. Because sometimes I cant beliave my eyes what I see. And people do it again ... and again ... and again ... and are not able to to learn. Learn, adapt, get skills, learn adapt. Thats the proces of evolution. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, TzeAzzazino said:

i have shot anti tank weapons multiple times in my time in time in the military and i can tell you that no one is going to be able to pop up from around a corner or a window while having sprinted for a while and being able to accurately hit a target at 400 meters as easy as it currently is. these weapons are bulky and fairly heavy and take a considerable amount of time to aline accurately at a target. the amount of effort it takes to locate, aim and hit a vehicle right now is just way to low the weapon is almost immediatly being held steady when aimed down sights, while in reality you must perform your shooters principles really carefully and concentrated.

Wait, who the heck does AT hits at 400m? I've been playing for a long time and I don't think I've EVER seen anyone hit at that range. Heck, on many maps, that's beyond render distance. Can you even aim that high? The vehicle would probably be below your view at that point. I'm thinking you're vastly exaggerating. Realistically, shooting beyond 100m with AT is very hit and miss in Squad, even for competent users

Edited by tatzhit

4 minutes ago, tatzhit said:

Unfortunately, most vehicle crews simply YOLO them into the midst of enemy lines, then cry about AT being overpowered.

^ This, then again....when you hear some call the MTLB a tank you already know there is not much hope. 
Neither is there much hope when APC's are treated like MBT's with reactive armour instead of means as fast transportation into hostile area where as the turret is merely for self-defence more so then offense.

But hey, who cares right ?. 

3 hours ago, TzeAzzazino said:

Go to the range and I'll give you a dollar for every vehicle you can hit after sprinting then popping around a corner at 400m. I play LAT a lot in game and it's rare that you'll even want to take the chance on a 200m shot. I'd venture that most AT hits are well under 100m. Distances in game are far shorter than they appear. I'm happy with the rocket mechanics ATM, I hope when we see more localized damage in game, we'll see vehicles react more realistically when hit, not just two shots and *BOOM*. Damaged drivetrain, or weapons, or localized armor damage. 

31 minutes ago, LugNut said:

Go to the range and I'll give you a dollar for every vehicle you can hit after sprinting then popping around a corner at 400m. I play LAT a lot in game and it's rare that you'll even want to take the chance on a 200m shot. I'd venture that most AT hits are well under 100m.

This could change in v10 however. With a rangable sight I might be attempting those kind of shots. At least I might be able to see what I am aiming at rather than guess.

Overall I think the whole system is very balanced especially after they nerfed the splash damage of the rockets.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Overall I think the whole system is very balanced especially after they nerfed the splash damage of the rockets.

Yep, I honestly think rockets are a but UP right now. It's kinda silly that a 1.8 kg HE/FRAG round has roughly the same killing power as 0.3 kg handheld nade. But the main victim of ingame scaling are without doubt the mortars, their AoE is ridiculously small compared to real life.

Edited by tatzhit

15 hours ago, tatzhit said:

Yep, I honestly think rockets are a but UP right now. It's kinda silly that a 1.8 kg HE/FRAG round has roughly the same killing power as 0.3 kg handheld nade. But the main victim of ingame scaling are without doubt the mortars, their AoE is ridiculously small compared to real life.

I agree completely. Legit look at this little snippet from a round I had:

18 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

This could change in v10 however. With a rangable sight I might be attempting those kind of shots. At least I might be able to see what I am aiming at rather than guess.

Hopefully? It'll be less of a crapshoot, but it's still tough to estimate ranges in game and for me anyway, without an easy resupply at hand, I only take high probability shots except with frags. 

1 minute ago, LugNut said:

Hopefully? It'll be less of a crapshoot, but it's still tough to estimate ranges in game and for me anyway, without an easy resupply at hand, I only take high probability shots except with frags. 

#Me to.

4 hours ago, CptDirty said:

I agree completely. Legit look at this little snippet from a round I had:

Yep, mortars need buff. Obviously that would result in even more idiots parking a 9-member squad at first flag and enthusiastically shelling some empty area, but at least with higher AoE they'd occasionally score a kill

Russian and American vehicules are good, however APC view is scheet.

Jeeps are really really really hard to use. shields on techies block more the view that it protects. Not enough motorcycles. SPG jeep is good.

But I feel like people stop using the arti rocket techie seriously now, there is not enough time to use it correctly, better do mortar because it's accruate. I think it costs too much and there aren't enough of these cars availables.

Edited by Bonnie Money

Personally I feel AT is way underpowered, especially for the thin skinned vehicles in game. I would like to see BTR's and strykers take no more than two hits to be destroyed. Reinforce that they are APCs and not assault tanks. I would love nothing more to see a squad dismount from its transport 500 meters from the objective and move in on foot while the vic stays back to provide fire support and suppression. Of course, we would need decent suppression effects first.

15 hours ago, PolishKruk said:

Personally I feel AT is way underpowered, especially for the thin skinned vehicles in game. I would like to see BTR's and strykers take no more than two hits to be destroyed. Reinforce that they are APCs and not assault tanks. I would love nothing more to see a squad dismount from its transport 500 meters from the objective and move in on foot while the vic stays back to provide fire support and suppression. Of course, we would need decent suppression effects first.

And much better players. Currently, what you're describing would result in most Squads YOLO'ing their vics and whining, while those that move on foot would get spread around half the map

16 hours ago, PolishKruk said:

Eventually there will be localized damage for vehicles, which should alter the way AT is used for sure. Soooooo... there may be some scenarios where two and done is possible, depending on your aim and ammo type. =)

Can´t wait for those damage changes. In real world the light anti tank infantry crew´s main objective after all is to immobilize the enemy armor. The "cook offs" are a rare chance with light anti-tank weapons but TOW launchers and other heavy AT weapons are a whole different story.

Edited by TopeH

Anti tank weaponry is supposed to be deadly. German panzershrecks in WWII were devestating to Soviet tanks; the American bazooka could take on the super heavy German tanks!

Anti tank weaponry revolutionized an infantryman's firepower against vehicles. These things are no joke. And most AT shots are not at 400m. Just wait until you get modern wire guided rockets, or top down hitters like the Javelin.

Well yes but you need to understand how AT weapons and different warheads/grenades actually work, they just don´t magically blow up the whole vehicle, only if you get a lucky shot on the munition storage or fuel tank/engine block which can ignite the petrol but not diesel. To immobilize the vehicle you need to destroy the tracks/wheels or the engine/transmission etc or get the crew inside. Hit the turret/gun and it cant shoot at you.

Edited by TopeH

38 minutes ago, TopeH said:

Well yes but you need to understand how AT weapons and different warheads/grenades actually work, they just don´t magically blow up the whole vehicle, only if you get a lucky shot on the munition storage or fuel tank/engine block which can ignite the petrol but not diesel. To immobilize the vehicle you need to destroy the tracks/wheels or the engine/transmission etc or get the crew inside. Hit the turret/gun and it cant shoot at you.

Interestingly, AP SABOTs and the like aren't actually not that effective against APCs compared to tanks (assuming they can pen tank armor in the first place). A tank is very cramped inside and full of crew/flammable/explosive stuff, so a penetration is often a mission kill. OTOH, APCs are largely empty inside, so a pen doesn't guarantee a whole lot.
HEAT weapons are better against APCs because the huge explosion tends to mess up the infantry inside. So yeah, a HEAT weapon to the fighting compartment of the APC is a big problem, it doesn't just mess up whatever thing it hits. MG/cannon hits should do localized damage.

Edited by tatzhit