LaughingJack

[WIP] Black Rock Beach (Vanilla & JO_mod)

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

Just started on the next Joint Ops themed map. This one is Black Rock Beach, a long time favourite i'm sure. I have just finished painting the terrain and applying the foliage and they are now done unless i have to move things - you never know ;) instance counts at the side if you're interested - and that's not counting all the GrassType foilages either :)

UPDATE BELOW

Map: Black Rock Beach

Size: 3k x 3k

Gameplay: AAS for Squad vanilla and for the JO mod. Plenty of room for mixed forces.

Pics @ my flickrz > 

BRB_terrain_foliated_2

Cheers!

.LJ

Edited by LaughingJack
UPDATED

Black Rock Beach-Omfg mate! One of my favourites JointOperations maps. Used to camp with a APC/BTR and shot all the MoFo's in the nade boats,used to get around 100+kills in a good day.

Truely is gonna be an Epic Year..

(Don't know how you get the time or energy for this awesone creations from back then,the good Ol' days...But we thank you Sir).

Posted (edited)

cheers @Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX

ahh, nade-boats, :)

still working on making that climbable tree ;)  - and there were so many of them in this map, heheh!

Edited by LaughingJack

UPDATE:

Been a while - RL stuffs. So now i've been able to do some more on this map. I still don't like how some foliage is not receiving shadows (bright green) when they clearly should (not distant and in front of other shadowed trees), but i can't work out what's causing it - i'm guessing it's something Asset-related though. I'm getting from about 40, to 70/80 FPS.

Vid of the first look at Black Rock Beach >

So many good memories playing Black-Rock used to get me a APC/BTR ,work my way to their X-Base & Destroy exiting Nade-Boats or Helis.... :D

As i mentioned on your YT Channel, we need those Nade-Boats & Swimming mechanics (dosen't UE have that?).

Can't wait to play the good Old JoinOps AAS base assault. 

Looks like those trees just have the worlds' worst LODs ever? 

On 8/7/2018 at 7:38 PM, Psyrus said:

Looks like those trees just have the worlds' worst LODs ever? 

i know it sux :( . can't work out what's going on with them - they're Squad stock. i wouldn't mind so much if they didn't turn so bright. they seem to receive shadows later than the bigger trees behind them.

my biggest disappointment with the engine so far is Shadows, particularly when everything else looks so good.

i know Oxygencube did that vid on lighting but i think the devs should revisit doing some basic setup stuff for the next iteration of the SDK, particularly around lighting again, but also things like asset-loading in maps versus performance, etc. - a basic set of guidelines/rules we should be following, sort of thing, would be very helpful.