-MG

Which screen would you pick ?

Alright so i had to turn in my new IPS 1440p screen and they didn't had a replacement so new i'm tinkering about going TN.
Not an easy task giving up the richness in colors but i figured that low display input lag and high refresh rate will be rewarding in competitive playing.
As i find that IPS tends to be blurry and a bit sluggish. 

My choices are Benq zowie XL 2735 OR Asus MG278Q. I can get both for 500€ range.
Currently leaning more to the Benq as it has more interesting technologies but i'd like to hear some opinions from those who own either or both. 

shouldnt you consider your graphics card too. gsync / freesync maybe a consideration

5 hours ago, Smee said:

shouldnt you consider your graphics card too. gsync / freesync maybe a consideration

I would get it, but the extra 200-300€ is a bit over the top. It's already ridicilous that i'm spending 500€on a screen lol. But currently i use Nvidia fast sync with my 1070

Posted (edited)

BenQ XL2730 is the best. It has a better panel than the XL2735 and freesync ability if you'll get an AMD card down the line.

The BenQ's have ability to go to Gamma 5 mode, which removes banding and washed out image (caused by too bright gamma) that these other TN 1440p gaming screens suffer from. BenQ has better quality control for backlight bleed too.

Edited by Leopardi

7 minutes ago, Leopardi said:

BenQ XL2730 is the best. It has a better panel than the XL2735 and freesync ability if you'll get an AMD card down the line.

The BenQ's have ability to go to Gamma 5 mode, which removes banding and washed out image (caused by too bright gamma) that these other TN 1440p gaming screens suffer from. BenQ has better quality control for backlight bleed too.

Thanks for the input. I'm sticking with Nvidia though :P also....i don't see the point of these Syncing features either. The games i play will never go over 120/144 hz. So i don't see how tearing will be possible (higher FPS output then my screen can handle). 

Last time i owned a Benq was a 21 inch 1600-900 that i wore out LUL.
how is the 30 better then the 35 ?. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, -MG said:

Thanks for the input. I'm sticking with Nvidia though :P also....i don't see the point of these Syncing features either. The games i play will never go over 120/144 hz. So i don't see how tearing will be possible (higher FPS output then my screen can handle). 

Last time i owned a Benq was a 21 inch 1600-900 that i wore out LUL.
how is the 30 better then the 35 ?. 

The 30 panel does 100% srgb in reviews, while 35 does 90%. It actually goes other way round, if you can maintain high fps, the advantages of syncing are non-existent on a 144Hz screen. Fast sync / vsync is something I'd steer away from, be without or with gsync/freesync.

If you really care about getting good image, good colors and blacks without IPS glow and BLB, the new LG 32GK850G with VA panel would be the best. But you'll be paying the 200-300€ extra for it, and its probably not available in your country yet as only US have it until February.

Edited by Leopardi

1 hour ago, Leopardi said:

The 30 panel does 100% srgb in reviews, while 35 does 90%. It actually goes other way round, if you can maintain high fps, the advantages of syncing are non-existent on a 144Hz screen. Fast sync / vsync is something I'd steer away from, be without or with gsync/freesync.

If you really care about getting good image, good colors and blacks without IPS glow and BLB, the new LG 32GK850G with VA panel would be the best. But you'll be paying the 200-300€ extra for it, and its probably not available in your country yet as only US have it until February.

Welp i think there is really no choice for me at 27inch 1440p....with Gsync. 

Dunno about harsh spending £500 the monitor will out last your PC twice or three times.  Mine was £700 for a 34" worth it in all ways. 

7 hours ago, Smee said:

Dunno about harsh spending £500 the monitor will out last your PC twice or three times.  Mine was £700 for a 34" worth it in all ways. 

Oh i agree, my current generic Samsung lasted me 6 years aka 2 builds before it started going shite on me as of now. It's just that an investment in a screen these days has became ridiculous. Also the choice is poor at 27 inch 1440P with Gsync. Especially with IPS. Seems like backlightbleed or IPS seems to be an issue at wel at higher priced monitors like.....

It's really becoming confusing and frustrating to make a choice. IPS is already out of the question, so the question is which TN has proper color reproduction with Gsync.  

4 hours ago, -MG said:

Oh i agree, my current generic Samsung lasted me 6 years aka 2 builds before it started going shite on me as of now. It's just that an investment in a screen these days has became ridiculous. Also the choice is poor at 27 inch 1440P with Gsync. Especially with IPS. Seems like backlightbleed or IPS seems to be an issue at wel at higher priced monitors like.....

It's really becoming confusing and frustrating to make a choice. IPS is already out of the question, so the question is which TN has proper color reproduction with Gsync.  

There is no choice, the TN G-syncs don't have proper adjustable gamma so the colors are bad. It's basically XL2730, or the new LG 32GK850G if you want G-sync and awesome colors.

The LG is all around better than any IPS panel - identical motion performance, but gives 3500:1 contrast instead of 1000:1 IPS contrast, and has no IPS glow/backlight bleed because of good quality control. It's the first monitor of this kind without problematic quality.

9 minutes ago, Leopardi said:

There is no choice, the TN G-syncs don't have proper adjustable gamma so the colors are bad. It's basically XL2730, or the new LG 32GK850G if you want G-sync and awesome colors.

The LG is all around better than any IPS panel - identical motion performance, but gives 3500:1 contrast instead of 1000:1 IPS contrast, and has no IPS glow/backlight bleed because of good quality control. It's the first monitor of this kind without problematic quality.

Lol that leaves me with still an expensive screen that will give me tearing, and a monitor i can't afford. 
The iiyama prolite x2788q b1 (75hz freesync) which i had as a gift but had to return, also had tearing that i solved with Fast sync. 

Been spending days comparing and reading reviews at this point. 

24 minutes ago, -MG said:

Lol that leaves me with still an expensive screen that will give me tearing, and a monitor i can't afford. 
The iiyama prolite x2788q b1 (75hz freesync) which i had as a gift but had to return, also had tearing that i solved with Fast sync. 

Been spending days comparing and reading reviews at this point. 

But keep in mind a 144Hz screen will have almost no visible tearing even without sync, especially when you keep high fps. No need for fast syncs which cause other stutters in image.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Leopardi said:

But keep in mind a 144Hz screen will have almost no visible tearing even without sync, especially when you keep high fps. No need for fast syncs which cause other stutters in image.

What do you consider high FPS for a 144hz ?. Is it true that half the refresh rate + 1 is the minimum FPS output you need to prevent tearing ?. MY bad for asking so many questions....don't really have alot of expierience with screens.

The games i play do not get anywhere close to 100fps let alone 90. 

Edited by -MG

Save money on not going g-sync and get a 1080ti to do high fps. ;)

I have a 144hz monitor but run it at 120hz. I really can't tell much difference in smoothness past 85-90hz anyway.

31 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

Save money on not going g-sync and get a 1080ti to do high fps. ;)

I have a 144hz monitor but run it at 120hz. I really can't tell much difference in smoothness past 85-90hz anyway.

Lul i just invested in a 1070 last year

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, -MG said:

What do you consider high FPS for a 144hz ?. Is it true that half the refresh rate + 1 is the minimum FPS output you need to prevent tearing ?. MY bad for asking so many questions....don't really have alot of expierience with screens.

The games i play do not get anywhere close to 100fps let alone 90. 

Around 100ish. No the tearing will not go away completely at any fps, but the higher it is the shorter the tears are.

The LG monitor would be ideal for you, you get the best advantages out of g-sync at those sub 100 frames, and the VA panel is a heaven. Time to start saving the extra 200-300 :P

Edited by Leopardi

19 hours ago, Leopardi said:

Around 100ish. No the tearing will not go away completely at any fps, but the higher it is the shorter the tears are.

The LG monitor would be ideal for you, you get the best advantages out of g-sync at those sub 100 frames, and the VA panel is a heaven. Time to start saving the extra 200-300 :P

I've been looking at it, what about input lag and Ghosting ?. Been looking at AOC AGON AG271QG aswel but it seems like monitors in that price range all got the shit ''Black light bleeding'' issue cuz they're using cheap panels from AU optronics ( according all the complaints i've read on forums). 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, -MG said:

I've been looking at it, what about input lag and Ghosting ?. Been looking at AOC AGON AG271QG aswel but it seems like monitors in that price range all got the shit ''Black light bleeding'' issue cuz they're using cheap panels from AU optronics ( according all the complaints i've read on forums). 

The proper reviews from tftcentral.co.uk and pcmonitors.info are coming for the LG 32GK850G (probably around march UK release), but based on the ones already out, and user reviews, it's perfectly fine for input lag and ghosting. Described identical to the Acer XB271HU - but with 3x better contrast, no IPS glow and no BLB.

The AOC is the same old IPS bleed junk since 2015 due to the same exact bad quality panel... just forget them. The LG is a godsend at this point for the non-TN gaming screen market, all manufacturers have forced the same horrible quality IPS panel for 3 years now.

Edited by Leopardi

1 hour ago, Leopardi said:

The proper reviews from tftcentral.co.uk and pcmonitors.info are coming for the LG 32GK850G (probably around march UK release), but based on the ones already out, and user reviews, it's perfectly fine for input lag and ghosting. Described identical to the Acer XB271HU - but with 3x better contrast, no IPS glow and no BLB.

The AOC is the same old IPS bleed junk since 2015 due to the same exact bad quality panel... just forget them. The LG is a godsend at this point for the non-TN gaming screen market, all manufacturers have forced the same horrible quality IPS panel for 3 years now.

Yeah, wel....looks like the LG is for end this year x'D. 

On 7-1-2018 at 1:25 AM, Smee said:

How it been working out in Squad ? :P. And true, my current samsung screen is going 7/8 years if not a bit longer. Has served me many many hours....