dragnframe

Talk me into getting squad

Once you've played a bit you'll probably have all sort of suggestion how to improve the game and questions about this and that. Search the forum as most answers are here. Also you'll be playing v9. v10 is just around the corner and has some big changes in it, vaulting for example. Check out some of the youtube videos for Squad v10 to see what treats are in store for us all.

Remember, it's early access so lots can change. For me that's what's making this journey very interesting.

So far I find it very confusing, which I expected, I need to learn the maps so I know where to go and whats around me. 

So, far haven't found but one guy willing to really help me but he had to leave and didn't stay long. Ill get the hang of it over time. Id say the biggest hurdle for me for sure is being quick with the keys. Its a big difference coming from console.

33 minutes ago, dragnframe said:

So far I find it very confusing, which I expected, I need to learn the maps so I know where to go and whats around me. 

So, far haven't found but one guy willing to really help me but he had to leave and didn't stay long. Ill get the hang of it over time. Id say the biggest hurdle for me for sure is being quick with the keys. Its a big difference coming from console.

That will be daunting to absorb the depth of Squad in addition to coming to grips with KB/M vs console controller. However,  it is doable... stay at it.

Mix it up if you can, get on other PC shooter games to get the muscle memory in (games that are easier in style maybe). Try to set your keybindings the same for each game if/when possible, it will help with the muscle memory regardless of tittle. I'm sure you'll find people willing to help you with Squad game mechanics, but the muscle memory for KB/M will take practice. 

BTW: Welcome to Squad, hope to see you out there!

Imo, squads default keybinds are pretty inefficient in the first place. Dont be afraid to rebind everything. Its probably better to do it(find the optimal key layout) now infact, than later after youre already proficient at the defaults and have to rewire.

I'll be on again tonight.  Probley around 6 or 7.   If anybody feels brave and wants to tackle the challenge of teaching me. 

Thanks

9 minutes ago, dragnframe said:

I'll be on again tonight.  Probley around 6 or 7.   If anybody feels brave and wants to tackle the challenge of teaching me. 

Thanks

What time zone.  Im normally about 9pm GMT>  If your stuck check out QFF server there;s normally SL's that will help.  Or look for me Londonsmee. :)

Posted (edited)

If you do rebind your keys bare in mind that just about every update we have to clear our game cache. That will delete your settings to default. You might want to make notes on what you have changed to avoid frustration later when you're asking yourself what you changed.

Edited by Major Trouble
Phones dumb autocorrect

19 minutes ago, Smee said:

What time zone.  Im normally about 9pm GMT>  If your stuck check out QFF server there;s normally SL's that will help.  Or look for me Londonsmee. :)

I'm est, in Ohio.   How do I find some of you guys to know if your playing or not?

Add londonsmee in steam. I should be on .   6pm est is 11pm GMT> :)   Must be some NA guys that would happy to help too. 

15 hours ago, dragnframe said:

Well here we go. Its downloading as we speak. Looking forward to getting on tonight.

Welcome to less sleep! And waiting for Alpha 10

Yea, I'm struggling a lot, The big make kill me I'm confused on where to go and what to do. I really am struggling with just even seeing enmies for some reason.

3 hours ago, dragnframe said:

I'm est, in Ohio.   How do I find some of you guys to know if your playing or not?

I'll be playing here shortly. Steam shows what server I'm in and then simply find it in the browser.

6 hours ago, dragnframe said:

Yea, I'm struggling a lot, The big make kill me I'm confused on where to go and what to do. I really am struggling with just even seeing enmies for some reason.

This isn't unusual. Depending on the map and what faction they are, it can be hard as **** to see them. Also, one of the issues (as it relates to this) is that it only takes 2-3 hits to kill you, and thus frequently you will die without ever seeing who shot you. This still happens to me and I have a ton of hours in. This game is supposed to be slow paced. Move, look, listen, move again. Doesn't always work that way, but that's how it should go. Played in a scrim today, saw 3 enemies, killed 1, died 7 times. Frequently not even knowing from where (other than a vague guess based on sound of shots). And while I'm not all that great, it shows that this happens to others then just you.

Advice, is when you're looking/scanning for enemies, look for movement, not so much the enemy themselves. The human eye is attracted to movement and it will pick it out all on it's own. Knowing roughly where they should be helps too - but that will come with time. For now, I'd recommend just gutting it out and sticking to what the SL wants you to do. Things will come with time.

10 hours ago, Smee said:

Add londonsmee in steam. I should be on .   6pm est is 11pm GMT> :)   Must be some NA guys that would happy to help too. 

Ok, You really helped me out and explained a lot of details that I didn't understand yet. I still don't 100% understand how to play but its coming... 

I still would like to find a clan or some people that play often for me to joing up and and learn how to play it right. I think Ill enjoy it as times goes on and will help pass the winter time for sure. 

I've seen mixed results but I'd highly recommend getting a mic. I usually will remove people from my Squads that don't have a mic for someone who does. 

One think I found to be helpful is to bind the "lean right" function to Q and "Lean Left" to E. Since you usually move the same direction as you lean, it helps to have two fingers able to press the buttons and if you back away you can just unlean and move back with the same finger

49 minutes ago, funruiner said:

I've seen mixed results but I'd highly recommend getting a mic. I usually will remove people from my Squads that don't have a mic for someone who does. 

Yea I have a mic.

2 hours ago, dragnframe said:

does a gaming keyboard and mouse help that much? 

A gaming mouse can be very helpful. You can map most of your key bindings to the mouse buttons (depending on mouse). This allows you to only need the key board for the most basic movements and send everything else through the mouse. 

3 hours ago, PROTOCOL said:

A gaming mouse can be very helpful. You can map most of your key bindings to the mouse buttons (depending on mouse). This allows you to only need the key board for the most basic movements and send everything else through the mouse. 

While true... unless you're the SL... how much are you really doing other than constantly checking the map?

Your not going to have any issues,  Tip Try to join squads that name their squad, normally a starting sign the SLhas played before.  Would be happy to have you in my squad any time. ;)

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Ti0mat said:

While true... unless you're the SL... how much are you really doing other than constantly checking the map?

Depends on the user and mouse. Look how many keys to cycle/select weapons or specilization, or interact with objects. 

• grenade
  • smoke
  • interact
  • map
  • primary/secondary weapon
  • Reload
  • crouch 
  • prone
  • lean left
  • lean right
  • enter vehicle
  • start engine

etc... clearly there are many options, if you use your mind. Bind to your liking, Unless your limited in imagination and your mouse is limited. 

simple example: 

image.jpeg.725d76c1427436503d547ff98ec76381.jpeg

Edited by PROTOCOL