dragnframe

Talk me into getting squad

Ok, first a little back ground . I am a gamer who like most started out on a console. My go to games where sports when I was younger, That evolved into racing games like gran truism, and then into the c.o.d. battlefield. While I was hook on both G.t. and C.O.D waiting so long for the new GT to come out on ps4, I then find out my wheel I had wouldn't work for PS4 (g27). So, now I'm looking for something else and I find Iracing. Wow, I should have just got a pc along time ago. Iracing with V.R is awesome. 

While on the Iracing forums Somebody made a post about Squad, I go and click on some links, and then watch some you tube videos and now here I am thinking this might be my cod replacement. Now, I haven't bought a cod game in a couple of years only for the fact I didn't that the direction it was heading. Also, I didn't like that it was a more everyman for him self type fps. What really draws my to squad is the team work and how rewarding it can be for that many players to work together to accomplish one goal. 

My concerns are, 

How tuff will it be to find a good clan?

I don't mind doing grunt work but how long will it take to play a important role for your squad?

is the only thing I need extra to play is a mic?

is there just one type of game mode?

Thanks for any info.

Finding a clan is not necessary, but can be worthwhile if you're serious about the game. Grunt work in Squad is to be a medic, yet every class holds its weight while still providing fun for the whole team. You do not NEED a microphone to play the game, but it is highly advised you have one as it is a very team-oriented game. If you have done some research on the game, there is one overall flag-capture mode, yet there are different variations of that mode. And if you like those kind of games, try it out.

I've been playing this game for ~2 years, and I stream it quite often, maybe watching some twitch streamers will help you make your choice.

Best wishes,

FlowBeatBoxTV

If your a good player, lots of clans will ask you . 

Experience game players find it quick to pick it up.  Biggest for you would be getting into the PC flow.

Yeah mic and good headset, sound is vital. 

Multiple modes and more happening. 

Yea,Im sure a big set back for me would be learning to play with a keyboard and mouse instead of a controller.

How does one rank up? Does this game even keep track of a kdr or is it some type of point system, that you earn different points for completing, different task?

I have been watching you tube videos for 2 days now. I'm sure I will get it this weekend id say.

Posted (edited)

There is no ranking except for the squad leader who holds a staff sergeant symbol next to his name. You only have a scoreboard which doesn't even show your kills until the round is over. There is very little emphasis on personal skill and it's all on team skill.

Edited by Cavazos

9 hours ago, dragnframe said:

I don't mind doing grunt work but how long will it take to play a important role for your squad?

There's plenty of great clans around.

Getting to play a certain role(if we are talking about kits) isn't the hard part. It's learning to play it effectively. Overall most things are pretty straight forward, it just takes a bit of practice and learning the underlying game mechanics.

Yes.

There's a couple.
A(dvance)A(nd)S(ecure) is the standard one. Then there's PAAS, which is like AAS, but slightly different rules. There's also classic Conquest and Insurgency, where you have to either defend or destroy weapon caches, depending on whos team you're on.

Thanks guys, I like the fact that theres no ranking system or kdr rank. I could care less.

I watch quiet a few you tube videos and I was able to catch on to a couple small but I thought important details. I noticed the guy kept calling out "south west 345" I was wondering where he was getting this information at. Then after a bit I noticed the bar at the bottom of his screen and saw the numbers.

Is there a list for like what F.O.B stands for and others? I heard that called out a lot.

Thanks for all the help guys.

1 minute ago, dragnframe said:

Is there a list for like what F.O.B stands for and others? I heard that called out a lot.

I think the wiki would be the easiest place to start:

http://squad.gamepedia.com/

@dragnframe

Make an informed decision. The best approach is to personally seek out the qualities that you expect and relate to, and confirm if it's right "for you". Individual input from others will always be subjective, based on their individual likes. Come to the decision on your own. 

As for me, I'm satisfied and excited for what Squad has and will offer in V10 and beyond!

Posted (edited)

I am protocol, I just like to hear others input and nice to have certain questioned answerd from people that play the game.

Also, lets say another buddy of mine gets this to. Is there a way to make sure we are on the same team in the same room?

Kinda like a ps4 party I guess.

Thanks

Edited by dragnframe

I have: 

1400+ hours in bf2

1600+ hours in bf3

700+ hours in bf4

1100+ hours in Arma 3

and 1200+ hours in Squad....

And I can honestly tell you that not once yet have I got tired of playing Squad. Since I SL 97% of the time (infantry taking flags mostly)  each round is like a new challenge to see if I can use new tactics or keep playing the ones I know work. I like this game because it's simple and well balanced (for the most part). And I see myself putting another 1000 hours easily. Not to mention the dev's continued commitment to listen to our feedback and suggestions and implement the changes the game needs. 

It's honestly the best game out there hands down. Even now in Alpha prior to V10 it stomps on the AAA titles out there....Because they're doing something right ;) 

1 hour ago, CptDirty said:

I have: 

1400+ hours in bf2

1600+ hours in bf3

700+ hours in bf4

1100+ hours in Arma 3

and 1200+ hours in Squad....

And I can honestly tell you that not once yet have I got tired of playing Squad. Since I SL 97% of the time (infantry taking flags mostly)  each round is like a new challenge to see if I can use new tactics or keep playing the ones I know work. I like this game because it's simple and well balanced (for the most part). And I see myself putting another 1000 hours easily. Not to mention the dev's continued commitment to listen to our feedback and suggestions and implement the changes the game needs. 

It's honestly the best game out there hands down. Even now in Alpha prior to V10 it stomps on the AAA titles out there....Because they're doing something right ;) 

Sold!! LOL

Hope to be on it this weekend.

Any buddy wanna volunteer to take a rookie under there wing? lol

@dragnframe

Squad has a couple of features similar to games I previously played which is the Delta Force series and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.

In Delta Force the maps were huge and you could implement these elaborate flanking maneuvers. In ET:QW specific roles on your team had to perform particular tasks in order for you to win.

To that end my perspective is that Squad is primarily just a series of TKOTH enagagments that involve being able to quickly move to the next point in vehicles. People try to minimize the K/D ratio but certainly it factors heavily in the win loss formula and gives you bragging rights and street cred.

Tinkering with the SDK also shows the educational side of Squad which are skills you could carry over to other games as well.

46 minutes ago, dragnframe said:

Sold!! LOL

Hope to be on it this weekend.

Any buddy wanna volunteer to take a rookie under there wing? lol

Well you know that makes sense. Welcome to the familia. 

I've always said "Be with the best & fook the rest". :D

Don't know about the rest of talented SL's but depending in your timezone,  our two tarts Mr @Smee & @CptDirty are amazingly cool as cucumbers with newbs.

2 minutes ago, Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX said:

Well you know that makes sense. Welcome to the familia. 

I've always said "Be with the best & fook the rest". :D

Don't know about the rest of talented SL's but depending in your timezone,  our two tarts Mr @Smee & @CptDirty are amazingly cool as cucumbers with newbs.

I live in Ohio and am usually able to get on after 7pm on the weekdays.   And usually available most every sunday all day.  Would be awesome to join up with an couple of  experienced guys and have them teach me the ropes. 

Just now, dragnframe said:

I live in Ohio and am usually able to get on after 7pm on the weekdays.   And usually available most every sunday all day.  Would be awesome to join up with an couple of  experienced guys and have them teach me the ropes. 

I'm a horrible shot but I make up for it by putting my squad's rally and team's fob/hab where it needs to be for them to take the deadly shots :P 

Yeah I just bought Squad last month and it's hands down my favourite game. It's destroyed my social life and I haven't played another game since.... 

Just make it clear that you are new when you join a squad, everyone is really understanding and helpful. 

I've only had one bad experience with people in this game in a month btw... 

Stick with your squad and read about the game or watch videos as often as you can! There is also a firing range which is really useful! 

This game has amazing moments of epicness. I was in a match not long ago where our squad had 2 Strykers and I was driving the lead one. We were approaching the objective so I told the tailing Striker to break off so we could cover more area and be less vulnerable. Multiple contacts in the storage site compound and on the fuel tanks, we start lighting them up. I spot an enemy logistics truck booking it past us, I tell the other Stryker that I'm peeling away and pursuing. Que the chase.

Uneven terrain makes it so gunner can only get a few 50 cal rounds to hit but we're hot on the truck's heels. Truck crests a hill and when we follow we see it stuck in a ditch. 

rammingspeed.jpg

Assisted by downhill gravity, I slam into the truck while going like 50mph. Truck blows up due to 50 cal fire as soon as I impact it so it sorta felt like the ram destroyed it. Go back to objective and destroy 2 stationary trucks and kill several infantrymen. And that's about it.

If all goes well tonight and tomorrow and I get everything setup Ill be on taking bullets for my commrads..LOL

Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2018 at 7:04 PM, dragnframe said:

Ok, first a little back ground . I am a gamer who like most started out on a console. My go to games where sports when I was younger, That evolved into racing games like gran truism, and then into the c.o.d. battlefield. While I was hook on both G.t. and C.O.D waiting so long for the new GT to come out on ps4, I then find out my wheel I had wouldn't work for PS4 (g27). So, now I'm looking for something else and I find Iracing. Wow, I should have just got a pc along time ago. Iracing with V.R is awesome. 

While on the Iracing forums Somebody made a post about Squad, I go and click on some links, and then watch some you tube videos and now here I am thinking this might be my cod replacement. Now, I haven't bought a cod game in a couple of years only for the fact I didn't that the direction it was heading. Also, I didn't like that it was a more everyman for him self type fps. What really draws my to squad is the team work and how rewarding it can be for that many players to work together to accomplish one goal. 

My concerns are, 

Thanks for any info.

i see COD ,COD,COD replacement,ps4

if you get squad your in for a wake up call..and you going to go 0-15 until you figure out not to play this game like a console fps.

its not that type of game as i hope you gathered. so you wont be sitting on the couch layed back "pwning noobs". then taking a Casual afk break while you on the phone..and please dont have music on coming threw your mic.

sry lol not trying to judge but im only human.

just saying it sounds like your the kind of gamer that has been bred to look at his K/D constantly.I have to say this...K/D means Nothing in squad,Score means Nothing.

You are useless in squad alone. your never going to turn the tide by something YOU did but rather your group did. You are useless without a Medic.And you will never get any of them kills to show up on your score unless you overran the enemy position because if they get revived you dont get the kill.

Its not unusual to go on the extreme with k/d 3-10 ..things like this when you start.shit your first few days you prob wont even get more that 5 kills a game very often.

SO DON'T GET DISCOURAGED you don't suck squad is just a different kind of game. Enjoy the experience...play to win the match not to k/d and you will enjoy it

Edited by ♠DEG♠

3 hours ago, dragnframe said:

If all goes well tonight and tomorrow and I get everything setup Ill be on taking bullets for my commrads..LOL

Let us know how you get on.  :}

6 hours ago, ♠DEG♠ said:

i see COD ,COD,COD replacement,ps4

if you get squad your in for a wake up call..and you going to go 0-15 until you figure out not to play this game like a console fps.

its not that type of game as i hope you gathered. so you wont be sitting on the couch layed back "pwning noobs". then taking a Casual afk break while you on the phone..and please dont have music on coming threw your mic.

sry lol not trying to judge but im only human.

just saying it sounds like your the kind of gamer that has been bred to look at his K/D constantly.I have to say this...K/D means Nothing in squad,Score means Nothing.

You are useless in squad alone. your never going to turn the tide by something YOU did but rather your group did. You are useless without a Medic.And you will never get any of them kills to show up on your score unless you overran the enemy position because if they get revived you dont get the kill.

Its not unusual to go on the extreme with k/d 3-10 ..things like this when you start.shit your first few days you prob wont even get more that 5 kills a game very often.

SO DON'T GET DISCOURAGED you don't suck squad is just a different kind of game. Enjoy the experience...play to win the match not to k/d and you will enjoy it

Thanks for this honest post.   You described cod players to a T. That's what I'm hoping to get away from.  I'm wanting to find a game where it's not so fasted pasted and more team playing and helping each other.   

Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2018 at 4:04 PM, dragnframe said:

My concerns are, 

The fact that you have to work together is one of the most frustrating parts of the game. You get a crap SL (either for your squad or who are SLing other squads) and it's very frustrating. However it's also the most rewarding and best part of the game - and yes I'm aware that this is a contradiction. This fundamental part of sqaud has ruined me for other games. So if that teamwork aspect is something that you really enjoy - squad is the game for you. The game isn't perfect, but it's still a lot of fun if you can find a decent SL - and I cannot stress enough how important a good SL is - even just to your own enjoyment.

As for your concerns:

- All depends. There are quality clans out there. You also do not even have to play in one to get the best experience possible. That said, it does open up more options to getting into squads with better SLs, as it's usually pubbies that get booted to make room for friends/clan mates. Most communities have a TS/Discord. My recommendation would be to find a server that does, and then start hanging out there with the members. You (usually) do not have to actually join any one clan to get many of the benefits of playing with them. Bounce around until you find one that suites you with people that you enjoy playing with.

- Kits are open to all squad members (within the limits set by the game). Get some practice on the range with the LATs and GL so that you know how to use them - the two most important fire support roles/kits. As a general rule of thumb, avoid taking the marksman kit. There are lots of detailed posts and debates about this on the forums, but if you're with an experienced SL, this is one of the fastest ways to get booted from the squad - sometimes with little/no warning - don't take it personally, it's just the kit. However if you're new, I'd stick to the medic or one of the rifleman kits (optic or standard one) - at least until you get some hours in. That said, there's no easy way to see how experienced a player is without alt-tabbing to look up their profile and seeing how many hours they have, other than by how they play and the questions they ask. Given this, as long as you're not completely incompetent and are sticking with the squad and following the SL's instructions, you can get into one of those classes right off the bat. With some hours under your belt you'll also learn the benefits of different roles for different maps and what you're objective is (attacking, defending, fighting in a city vs country side, etc). I'm not saying do not take a fire support role... playing around with different kits is all part of the fun. But I would go onto the range to learn how to use them first. And I would highly recommend getting in some hours before using them in a squad. Maybe not a ton, but at least a few to get a handle on the basics.

And lastly (regarding kits), DO NOT CREATE A SQUAD OR SL when you're new. Sometimes you do not have a choice, but if the round is starting (new map), just wait for someone else to create a squad and join theirs. The SL role is very challenging even after you have hours upon hours in the game. Get a hundred or so in (at the very least) before taking on that challenge, as it's a challenge all of it's own, and not knowing what you're doing not only ruins the experience for your squad members, but hinders your entire team.

- A mic for this game is ultra critical. You can play without it, but it really limits you and your squad depending on what you're doing. IF you do try to play without one, my advice would be to A) stay out of vehicles (driver/gunner) as not being able to communicate with your (driver/gunner) basically hinders the shit out of your vehicle. And B) do not SL. Also, if you do not have a mic and the SL needs to make room, generally they're the first people to get the boot. Bottom line... get a mic, if only for your own benefit to enhance your own experience.

- There's currently 4 different types of game modes. AAS / PAAS (attacking and defending flags). Insurgency / INS (US/RUS look for weapon caches that the INS defend), Invasion (INS/Militia start with all the flags and the US/RUS have to attack them one by one) and Conquest (all flags are always in play). The latter is the least popular and I've rarely seen it in anyone's rotation. The most popular mode is AAS, followed by Invasion. Insurgency is a fun mode, but personally I can only stand it in small doses, and it's hard to find on most server's rotations.

Also... where ever you decide to play, let your SL know that you're new to the game. Generally (as long as your SL isn't an ass) doing so will inform them that they need to go a little easier on you and will give you more detailed instructions then perhaps they would otherwise give someone. This will make your life a little easier as you learn to play. Most SLs are not opposed to having brand new players in the game, as long as the new guys are not assholes and they can listen to instructions. And my last piece of advice. Ask LOTS of questions. Try to do so when there's a down moment, but ask! At the start of a round (or when you join into a squad), ask where to spawn (this is really important). This will ensure that you're not spawning in a useless spot and won't get you off on the wrong foot with your SL (I still do this almost all the time when I join a squad). Ask what your objective is. If you're flanking/moving to a new objective/point, ask if you can engage the enemy (sometimes you do not have a choice). Ask, ask, ask. As long as you're doing so at times when the SL isn't busy in a firefight or dealing with other SLs/squad members, most players (SLs and squad members) will be happy to answer your questions.

PS... some server's are friendlier and more tolerant then others towards new players. I won't name names, but if you have a bad experience with a server or an SL, just look for another one. There are multiple quality servers out there, and the game once you get the hang of it, is a great game. Sometimes it will just take a bit to find a home - so don't get discouraged - it really is worth it once you do.

Edited by Ti0mat