Insannik

Spotting enemies?

Hello everyone,

I just came on the forum to ask a small question. I've been playing the game for a couple of days now and I'm having a bit of trouble spotting enemies in this game.

Because I have about 2500 total in Arma2/3 combined I expected this to be a lot easier. I also see a lot of my teammates just spotting and putting people down in a heartbeat.

So I'm here to ask if there is anything I'm missing?

Is it just experience or is there some magic combination of graphics settings that makes people stand out? I've googled quite a bit but couldn't really find a definitive answer so maybe a few tips and tricks from the forum community can help me out here :D.

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Insannik

6 minutes ago, Insannik said:

Hello everyone,

I just came on the forum to ask a small question. I've been playing the game for a couple of days now and I'm having a bit of trouble spotting enemies in this game.

Because I have about 2500 total in Arma2/3 combined I expected this to be a lot easier. I also see a lot of my teammates just spotting and putting people down in a heartbeat.

Is it just experience or is there some magic combination of graphics settings that makes people stand out? I've googled quite a bit but couldn't really find a definitive answer so maybe a few tips and tricks from the forum community can help me out here :D.

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Insannik

Have you adjusted the field of view and gamma? Have you tried all the different graphics settings? Is your monitor set to it's native resolution?

Some people are using 3rd party programs to sharpen and enhance the game. Also if you have an NVIDIA card you can go to it's Control Panel and adjust Digital Vibrance up.

1 minute ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Have you adjusted the field of view and gamma? Have you tried all the different graphics settings? Is your monitor set to it's native resolution?

Some people are using 3rd party programs to sharpen and enhance the game. Also if you have an NVIDIA card you can go to it's Control Panel and adjust Digital Vibrance up.

FOV is set at 95, Gamma is 2.0 but I played with it a bit and doesn't seem to do anything. I tried turning a few settings up and down but haven't found anything conclusive. 

I will take a look at Digital Vibrance. Is this something you also use or not at all? 

1 minute ago, Insannik said:

FOV is set at 95, Gamma is 2.0 but I played with it a bit and doesn't seem to do anything. I tried turning a few settings up and down but haven't found anything conclusive. 

I will take a look at Digital Vibrance. Is this something you also use or not at all? 

Digital Vibrance saturates all the colors in the spectrum and also brightens as well which allows you to turn down the gamma. I find this gives the game a bit more contrast.

I would recommend playing at 90 FOV if you're starting out to get used to everything. Increasing your FOV does have a pretty big impact on your vision, and it's generally a negative one if you're learning to play Squad. Things feel too far, hard to spot, blurry or fuzzy etc.

Once you're comfortable with 90 you can just work your way up! Disregard if you're playing on an insanely huge screen. :P

ReShade is also a good boost for people.

Like many games too, it takes a while to cue into the enemies uniforms. Russian/US on desert maps are the worst..... For me, I also learned to stop in cover and sit for a second looking simply for movement, if you see any, check your map for friendlies, then decide if its wise to shoot or stay quiet. 

Men yesterday I played without my glasses and trust me i see a s**t without them and FOV at 105. What will surprise you I was able to spot enemy even without them and I had positiv K/D at every end of rounds. 

Its just experiences. Nothing more.

But it was very hard i have to say. 

What I reocgnize was that I normaly move very very cautiously. But yesterday my thoughts was like Can I move. Did i see anything ? Is it realy safe to move ? And so on. didnt I overwatched something ? 

Problem is that many playeers just run forward and dont think. Start think and trust me you will see enemy like never before. Play like its your only one life. And you will get experiences much much faster. Because you will think about your movements and surrounding area. 

Surprised that with that many hours in arms your having problems. 

Movement is the biggest give away to spotting enemy. Knowing silhouette will help I'd the targets. Map awareness helps, 

I got the biggest result by changing the graphics card. I went from 1920x1080 to 3440x1440. The change was huge. Much more than the various graphic settings

I have a laptop with i5 6200U and 940MX 2GB VRAM graphic card. I only play it with 1336*768 Resolution. 

At the start of playing this game, yes i have problem with spotting an enemy in the distance, bcs not only the resoultion that i have, but also the FPS which only around 25 - 40, AVG is 30.

Then, after 300 Hours into Squad, now i can tell you that spotting an enemy is quite easy. All you had to do is:
-Awarness of the 'Map Environment' itself (expect enemy coming from that direction, and not other direction)

-Sit still, and wait. Often you will see 'silhouette' or 'shade' movement behind the treelines, or other object in the map.

-Try to locate where the gunfire sound coming from. It's easy to distinguish between US and INS gunshot bcs US have M4 and INS have AK. Which, when you play as US, you can hear 'AK Gunshot' towards this direction., therefore, observe that area. You will likely see the enemy movement.

That's what all i got for you, hope this tips will help you guys also.

Cheers,

-Videda

On 30/12/2017 at 2:29 AM, Insannik said:

Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Insannik

Its part of the chaos of the battlefield Mate. You might have probably seen a lot of team kills as well. Situational awareness is key. If my map says there are no friendlies to my East, and I see movement to the East, I don't stop shooting til the movement stops. If they're mixed in amongst you, then they should be close enough to identify by sight. If you're unsure, then wait a moment until you can clearly ID them. If they shoot at you, shoot back.

As you reckon you've been playing for a few days, I'd put that down to experience on SQUAD. You're ARMA time will definitely help you to work in a team and should also compliment your communication. Think of Squad and Arma like Cricket and Baseball. Similar game though not the same in many ways. A few more hours on SQUAD and you'll be slotting enemies no probs.

If you play 1080p on a 24" monitor, you are gonna have a hard time regardless. I can confirm i see just about everything at 34" 3440x1440, the bigger issue putting the dot on the pixel that moves.

think it just takes time... depends on how you play the game and which faction you are on... obviously if you are iron sights then close range is your goal, closing the distance and drawing enemy in.. not running head on into them.. but one thing I am still learning and still screw up.. (and I have loads of hours) is the use of cover, fire, look left and right, then move.    The more you stay in one place the more you will get wiped.  Simple reason is that without the real threat of death the current suppression fails to deter many they will just sit there shooting until they die or get you.   If your on your own then they will have the drop on you most likely.

On 12/30/2017 at 6:29 AM, Smee said:

Surprised that with that many hours in arms your having problems. 

Movement is the biggest give away to spotting enemy. Knowing silhouette will help I'd the targets. Map awareness helps, 

This. So many times I don't actually see the enemy - I see movement. Whether it's shapes moving down a hillside in front of me, or just glimpses through the tree's , shrubs or past a door/window... it's just enough to get me to stop and start looking harder at an area. Sometimes it's just distance and the game rendering. Othertimes it's tree's or branches that move (this happens a LOT). And other times it's the pesky Russians/militia in their green uniforms coming.

As Smee said, map awareness helps a lot. Having a general idea as to where the enemy should be coming from, and thus where to look will make your life easier. The game isn't quite Arma slow in terms of how to move... but sometimes that's what it takes - especially early on.

I have had a hard time spotting the enemy as well, and I have only been playing for a little over a month or so. I have adjusted all the settings with little help. I also find it amazing that the enemy can spot me when I am not moving and behind something like a thick bush or grassy area. Not sure how they are spotting me when i am not moving?

I have settled down to doing logistic runs, being a great medic for now. Not very fun when its just so damm hard to spot the other guys and they always seem to shoot you lol.

Not very realistic, and trust me I know. I still have the bullet in my shoulder lol

The camo in certain situations is a dead giveaway for me. US soldiers in forests are easily spotted. The color of their camo really stands out.

On 03/01/2018 at 1:08 PM, Voice said:

If you play 1080p on a 24" monitor, you are gonna have a hard time regardless. I can confirm i see just about everything at 34" 3440x1440, the bigger issue putting the dot on the pixel that moves.

because i'm considering updating to a wider style monitor (> 16:9)

a question.

your 34" @ 1440  versus a 24" @ 1080: veritcally, there is only about 2"(50mm) and 360 pixels difference (if i worked it out correctly) - do you really see much difference visually?

I went to a 32 inch 1440p 16:9 monitor and it has really helped me spot (and hit) enemy at range.

I have about 1500 hours using a 1080 monitor, spotting is simple, just takes time to learn what the environment looks like and what players/vehicles look like. Best way to spot is to not look down sights, take your hand off the mouse/hold it completely still. That way your screen stays still and the only things that move are foliage and players, then you look down the sights, zoom in, confirm the target and shoot them.

22 minutes ago, Loxx_ said:

I have about 1500 hours using a 1080 monitor, spotting is simple, just takes time to learn what the environment looks like and what players/vehicles look like. Best way to spot is to not look down sights, take your hand off the mouse/hold it completely still. That way your screen stays still and the only things that move are foliage and players, then you look down the sights, zoom in, confirm the target and shoot them.

and you can see the pixels moving in the bushes and grass.

After a few hundred hours, certain shades of green that are not moving as foliage does start to stand out

Gotta say that I have a same problem. Feels like all enemies can spot me from at 2-300 meters and I dont see no one! xD

Playing 1080p at 55" TV! FOV is normal.