Jump to content
Insannik

Spotting enemies?

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone,

 

I just came on the forum to ask a small question. I've been playing the game for a couple of days now and I'm having a bit of trouble spotting enemies in this game.

Because I have about 2500 total in Arma2/3 combined I expected this to be a lot easier. I also see a lot of my teammates just spotting and putting people down in a heartbeat.

 

So I'm here to ask if there is anything I'm missing?

Is it just experience or is there some magic combination of graphics settings that makes people stand out? I've googled quite a bit but couldn't really find a definitive answer so maybe a few tips and tricks from the forum community can help me out here :D.

 

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Insannik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Insannik said:

Hello everyone,

 

I just came on the forum to ask a small question. I've been playing the game for a couple of days now and I'm having a bit of trouble spotting enemies in this game.

Because I have about 2500 total in Arma2/3 combined I expected this to be a lot easier. I also see a lot of my teammates just spotting and putting people down in a heartbeat.

 

So I'm here to ask if there is anything I'm missing?

Is it just experience or is there some magic combination of graphics settings that makes people stand out? I've googled quite a bit but couldn't really find a definitive answer so maybe a few tips and tricks from the forum community can help me out here :D.

 

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Insannik

Have you adjusted the field of view and gamma? Have you tried all the different graphics settings? Is your monitor set to it's native resolution?

 

Some people are using 3rd party programs to sharpen and enhance the game. Also if you have an NVIDIA card you can go to it's Control Panel and adjust Digital Vibrance up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Have you adjusted the field of view and gamma? Have you tried all the different graphics settings? Is your monitor set to it's native resolution?

 

Some people are using 3rd party programs to sharpen and enhance the game. Also if you have an NVIDIA card you can go to it's Control Panel and adjust Digital Vibrance up.

FOV is set at 95, Gamma is 2.0 but I played with it a bit and doesn't seem to do anything. I tried turning a few settings up and down but haven't found anything conclusive. 

 

I will take a look at Digital Vibrance. Is this something you also use or not at all? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Insannik said:

FOV is set at 95, Gamma is 2.0 but I played with it a bit and doesn't seem to do anything. I tried turning a few settings up and down but haven't found anything conclusive. 

 

I will take a look at Digital Vibrance. Is this something you also use or not at all? 

Digital Vibrance saturates all the colors in the spectrum and also brightens as well which allows you to turn down the gamma. I find this gives the game a bit more contrast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would recommend playing at 90 FOV if you're starting out to get used to everything. Increasing your FOV does have a pretty big impact on your vision, and it's generally a negative one if you're learning to play Squad. Things feel too far, hard to spot, blurry or fuzzy etc.

Once you're comfortable with 90 you can just work your way up! Disregard if you're playing on an insanely huge screen. :P

 

ReShade is also a good boost for people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like many games too, it takes a while to cue into the enemies uniforms. Russian/US on desert maps are the worst..... For me, I also learned to stop in cover and sit for a second looking simply for movement, if you see any, check your map for friendlies, then decide if its wise to shoot or stay quiet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Men yesterday I played without my glasses and trust me i see a s**t without them and FOV at 105. What will surprise you I was able to spot enemy even without them and I had positiv K/D at every end of rounds. 

Its just experiences. Nothing more.

But it was very hard i have to say. 

What I reocgnize was that I normaly move very very cautiously. But yesterday my thoughts was like Can I move. Did i see anything ? Is it realy safe to move ? And so on. didnt I overwatched something ? 

Problem is that many playeers just run forward and dont think. Start think and trust me you will see enemy like never before. Play like its your only one life. And you will get experiences much much faster. Because you will think about your movements and surrounding area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprised that with that many hours in arms your having problems. 

 

Movement is the biggest give away to spotting enemy. Knowing silhouette will help I'd the targets. Map awareness helps, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the biggest result by changing the graphics card. I went from 1920x1080 to 3440x1440. The change was huge. Much more than the various graphic settings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a laptop with i5 6200U and 940MX 2GB VRAM graphic card. I only play it with 1336*768 Resolution. 

At the start of playing this game, yes i have problem with spotting an enemy in the distance, bcs not only the resoultion that i have, but also the FPS which only around 25 - 40, AVG is 30.

Then, after 300 Hours into Squad, now i can tell you that spotting an enemy is quite easy. All you had to do is:
-Awarness of the 'Map Environment' itself (expect enemy coming from that direction, and not other direction)

-Sit still, and wait. Often you will see 'silhouette' or 'shade' movement behind the treelines, or other object in the map.

-Try to locate where the gunfire sound coming from. It's easy to distinguish between US and INS gunshot bcs US have M4 and INS have AK. Which, when you play as US, you can hear 'AK Gunshot' towards this direction., therefore, observe that area. You will likely see the enemy movement.

 

That's what all i got for you, hope this tips will help you guys also.

Cheers,

 

-Videda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/12/2017 at 2:29 AM, Insannik said:

Hello everyone,

 

I just came on the forum to ask a small question. I've been playing the game for a couple of days now and I'm having a bit of trouble spotting enemies in this game.

Because I have about 2500 total in Arma2/3 combined I expected this to be a lot easier. I also see a lot of my teammates just spotting and putting people down in a heartbeat.

 

So I'm here to ask if there is anything I'm missing?

Is it just experience or is there some magic combination of graphics settings that makes people stand out? I've googled quite a bit but couldn't really find a definitive answer so maybe a few tips and tricks from the forum community can help me out here :D.

 

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Insannik

Its part of the chaos of the battlefield Mate. You might have probably seen a lot of team kills as well. Situational awareness is key. If my map says there are no friendlies to my East, and I see movement to the East, I don't stop shooting til the movement stops. If they're mixed in amongst you, then they should be close enough to identify by sight. If you're unsure, then wait a moment until you can clearly ID them. If they shoot at you, shoot back.

 

As you reckon you've been playing for a few days, I'd put that down to experience on SQUAD. You're ARMA time will definitely help you to work in a team and should also compliment your communication. Think of Squad and Arma like Cricket and Baseball. Similar game though not the same in many ways. A few more hours on SQUAD and you'll be slotting enemies no probs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you play 1080p on a 24" monitor, you are gonna have a hard time regardless. I can confirm i see just about everything at 34" 3440x1440, the bigger issue putting the dot on the pixel that moves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×