kisbiflos

Suggestion and feedback: Scout IED and other explosives.

About IEDs

I really love playing scout, I use to patrol around my team and give them info while rigging roads and buildings with explosives. The fact that IEDs can be blown up after dying is simply fantastic and even realistic with phone detonators if you think about it.  At this point the IED is really not much of a big deal, it does not one hit any other vehicle than trucks, technicals and BRDM, and let's admit, it is really hard to sneak up on a vehicle with 30+ enemies running around. You have more chances of getting a kill with a random nade towards an enemy squad than a well placed IED. Second issue is that it's not very effective against infantry either, it really is hard to lure an enemy squad into it or guess precisely which building will be taken, even if you mange to place it well and time your detonation correctly, you get about a 10m lethal radius. I would like to see IEDs be more effective against infantry, having a 15m lethal and a total damage range of 20m.  

Scout weapons:

The SKS in V10 got a little bit better due to the fact that we can use sight ranging now and have permanent iron sight zoom. What I noticed though is that it takes 3 chest shots to down enemies even from close range now. It would be really good to see some kind of better weapon for the scout a semi-auto 7.62x54mm, .308 weapon, basically something that is more reliable on range. M14 for millitia, FAL variatns, SVT-40 (since we have PPSH), scopeless SVD, I would be happier even with a Mosin Nagant. The SKS is bad at long range, bad at short range and just decent on mid range (compared to standard AK and M4 it is bad even on mid range). 

Scouts could be able to place one eye marker visible to squad(leader), maybe with different color. For faster and more accurate communication.

A little unfair advantage:

I find it unrealistic that the scout can plant his IED on a enemy vehicle and see when it starts moving on the map. Most of the kills I had as scout are thanks to this feature. IED should be visible on the map only if the player is close enough or when not placed on vehicles.

Remote detonated claymore:

- One or two can be placed by a new class (or maybe one of the riflemen)

- Has a damage range up to 30-50 meters

- Works with shrapnel just like the real one (or Rising Storm 2: Vietnam)

- Disappears when player respawns (honestly I have no idea if actual claymore detonators can change operating frequency like IED detonator phones)

- Russian counterpart MON-50

Large IED:

-A new type of emplacement a booby trapped fuel barrel or propane canister

-Can be built by scout, just like squad leader items

-Requires a logi or new kind of vehicle (ammo/mining technical) nearby

-Can be detonated trough phone by "selecting firemode"

-Only 1 or 2 can be built by the team.

-Takes away resource points from logi/mining technical

-Can be detonated by external damage, 30mm HE, rockets, grenades, this would make it harder to detonate it at the right time and give APCs a chance to avoid it

-Simple gunfire (even with tracer ammo for sake of balance) would render it useless (30-40 shots), basically destroy it by draining the "fuel"

-Can be destroyed with a shovel, a silent way of removing it

Or it would be something that can be built by anyone with a new specific vehicle nearby and would be detonated from within that vehicle or scouts, maybe a placed wired detonator.

Tripflares:

It works like a classic tripwire mine, but instead of the explosion a flare of some kind is triggered, either a classic flare round or fountain of flame and smoke. 

- Can be placed by scouts in FOB range just like buildings by squad leader

- Placement summons a silhouette just like every other building with both placement posts and wire

- 3 can be placed per scout

- Can also be placed nearby logi for supply points (or ammo/mining technical)

I am not saying all of my ideas should be implemented as they are, but I would really like to see them worked into something that can be used. I put a lot of "maybes and ors" in there on purpose, so you guys can decide what is the best.

Edited by kisbiflos
Removed some points after thinking more about them

Love:

- the tripwire flare idea.

- better weapon. Doesn't have to be amazing, but it would be nice if there was something a little more useful when dealing with enemies. Yes I get that the idea is not to be a 'fighter', but sometimes you have no choice (such as when you have to fight your way through the lines).

- Slightly bigger/better IED. I planted one behind a striker today (took forever to sneak up on it) and it doesn't kill it? BS.

- That the IED shouldn't be tracked on the map. I agree it's BS. At the very least they should be treated like the mines are, where you can only see them if you're "in range of them". But the range should be a lot smaller then that of the mines.

Hate:

- the idea of claymores. I mean yes the scout is setup to be ambushing guys... but individual infantry? Even if you get half a squad (which would be hard), that's only 4/5 tickets. Even a simple logi/transport is worth twice that. And if you get an MRAP/Striker/BRDM you're getting 5 times that (or more). The scout should be focused on going after higher end targets and not just looking for the kills.

- Claymores, perhaps there could be an infantry kit that could carry one or two - at least that would make a little more sense as at some point you're going to be defending a point. But that's not really something I think the scout should be doing, even though it is an interesting concept.

- the concept of another IED (propane canister, or whatever). A) I don't think it's needed, and B) some of the details you're bringing up seem very hard to implement, or at least fairly complex. Gotta remember that it's still a game, and that simple is better. Just make the one we have a little more powerful and go with that. There's no need to give other scouts access to set it off - just keep it up after you die like the current one.

Edited by Ti0mat

I imagined using claymored just like they were used in real life. Set up to cover one side of an outpost/compond and detonated when the time comes. I never said it should be a scout weapon, I said it should be used by either one of the 3 riflemen or a new class that works just like the Scout as in has special explosives and has binocs.  For example the raider class is more useless (with only 2 simple grenades now in V10) than what I recommend here. Claymores would also not be able to damage vehicles since that is not how they work. My whole intention with claymores is not to give a new weapon to scouts and such that he can use to kill. My intention is to implement more complex and varied defensive tactics and maybe even ambush tactics in the game, as you can see all the new items I suggested are defense purpose "placebales".

my view of scout is just that of a scout and not a ied suicide bomber or engineer. scout should get a silenced smg or 2x scoped rifle 1 hand grenade,2 smokes, 2 bandages,binoculars, shovel and a laser range finder. with the range finder he can find the distance to a target that then could be used for , mortars,rocket truck,counter sniping when paired with marksmen, and general scouting. yes he should also get the ability to set markers.

as for mines and ieds those should go to other classes to make use of them. ied's could go to the lowest kit for suicide bombers  and mines should go to engineer class when its made.

Edited by sgt.longbow

Hell yeah IED needs to be buffed a lot.It must be made to kill a vehicle with ease and thay need to make it possible to actually place it on the enemy vehicle i cant say how many times i place it on a camping stryker but for some reason it gets gliched and dose not datonate and if you place it near it dose not do the damage it can.

And as to killing infantry the preassure the IED makes when detonated is what kills you by crushing your internal organs not the shapnels and the fire actually.

So i am all in for buffing it.

Even making some IED dump truks ot techies spwaned in the main base would be hot ;-)  

Placed an IED on the bonnet( hood )on an abandoned MRAP. This needs to be a boost on abandoned vehicles at least. One thing to say its moving around an IED or in the area. Not sure if having one on the bonnet should leave it working.   Using a logi tech to destroy any US trucks does work.  Too much of has been taken off the IED>

Posted (edited)
On 2/22/2018 at 4:53 AM, sgt.longbow said:

my view of scout is just that of a scout and not a ied suicide bomber or engineer. scout should get a silenced smg or 2x scoped rifle 1 hand grenade,2 smokes, 2 bandages,binoculars, shovel and a laser range finder. with the range finder he can find the distance to a target that then could be used for , mortars,rocket truck,counter sniping when paired with marksmen, and general scouting. yes he should also get the ability to set markers.

as for mines and ieds those should go to other classes to make use of them. ied's could go to the lowest kit for suicide bombers  and mines should go to engineer class when its made.

Good idea as well. I would not mind if there were separate scout and bomber/engineer classes. 

How I use the scout currently is one of these 3 ways. 1st, I get a bike and pick up one more scout then do AT mining runs until both of us place all 3 mines. 2nd, I separate from the squad and play very passively, I give info and watch flanks, sometimes go for IED vehicle kills, in these cases I use my weapon only when I am spotted at close range, and I sometimes place my IED at a nice place and watch it with my binocs from afar. 3rd I stick with my squad, give info and help spotting, in these cases I don't often get to use the IED. 

It happened a dozen times that I managed to sneak up on a whole squad or multiple vehicles (one time 2 killed out of 4) and deal some pretty nasty damage with the IED and frags.

What I would really like to see is a bolt action rifle (scopeless Lee Einfield, Nagant) instead of the SKS at least for one of the 2 irregular teams, I would rather have a gun that is reliable on at least long range than something that is realiable only on 40-100m range.

Edited by kisbiflos

You've got some good suggestions about IED mechanics and Scout abilities but I don't think the scout should get a better weapon.

The SKS is fine, it isn't great nor is it terrible, so it works more as a self-defense rather than offense weapon. You can get kills with it but it's generally outmatched in a firefight which is perfect for the class. When you take scout you are forgoing your direct combat capability for utility and that's what makes it an interesting class. I agree that a choice between something like a scopeless bolt-action and the SKS would work but going for an M14 or FAL would be a bit much.

I think the claymores could work with an Engineer class for the conventional factions. In addition to a C4 type explosive (operates like the IED but with a much smaller radius) for removing fortifications and FOBs it would basically make the class an asymmetrical equivalent to the Scout with different capabilities since the claymores aren't anti-armour.

Large IEDs would be cool as an Insurgent only FOB build-able. Not only would it be a cool weapon that differentiates the faction from Militia but this sort of thing could really encourage the Insurgents to use FOBs in a more aggressive disposable manner, coupled with tweaks to the FOB mechanics for that faction such as less ticket value and exclusion radius for FOBs.

Trip-wire flares would be cool and useful so I don't see why they shouldn't exist, but at the same time I wouldn't be upset if they didn't get added. Just feels like something that would be a neat but not much else.

On 26/12/2017 at 5:49 PM, kisbiflos said:

Remote detonated claymore:

- One or two can be placed by a new class (or maybe one of the riflemen)

- Has a damage range up to 30-50 meters

- Works with shrapnel just like the real one (or Rising Storm 2: Vietnam)

- Disappears when player respawns (honestly I have no idea if actual claymore detonators can change operating frequency like IED detonator phones)

would like a 'trip' option as well. for 'Engineer' class (also see below). damage range like standard IED, but directional, obviously.

5 minutes ago, Stom said:

I think the claymores could work with an Engineer class for the conventional factions. In addition to a C4 type explosive (operates like the IED but with a much smaller radius) for removing fortifications and FOBs it would basically make the class an asymmetrical equivalent to the Scout with different capabilities since the claymores aren't anti-armour.

for "Engineer" class, for any faction (other loadout option is the C4 ;), to work same/like IED without shrapnel).

also for removing dead vehicle carcases from the field?

not sure about "large" IED's - i mean most other games iv'e played usually use C4 for this stuff, ie: C4 is usually the "big" explosive charge. is the current IED not already a "C4' type weapon anyway?

IMO: Scout class should resemble 'recon' type class - bino's, target designator(if it comes) - that sort of thing.

Engineer class should handle all the "explosives"; {IED's, mines}, {clays, C4} - grouped here as loadout options - so, IED or Mine, etc.

all independant of faction - unless you really need different names for essentially the same thing.

Posted (edited)
On 3/13/2018 at 2:18 AM, LaughingJack said:

not sure about "large" IED's - i mean most other games iv'e played usually use C4 for this stuff, ie: C4 is usually the "big" explosive charge. is the current IED not already a "C4' type weapon anyway?

As I said large IED would be a very defensive, ambush type item that can be built only nearby FOBs.  It would have a 20m blast radius destroying every kind of vehicle (currently in the game) in the first 10m.  It can not be hidden compared to other IEDs due to it's size and could be deactivated by few shots if spotted from afar. What I also meant but did not mention that this should be a Insurgent only weapon to make the teams more asymmetrical.

Edited by kisbiflos

Going with the large IED how about an IED that has the capacity to be built up. So you can add to it if you have time. A three time build say add an IED each time to add to explosion, so not total over powered?

9 hours ago, Smee said:

Going with the large IED how about an IED that has the capacity to be built up. So you can add to it if you have time. A three time build say add an IED each time to add to explosion, so not total over powered?

Mine version is not overpowered if you read everything I wrote there. It requires an FOB to be close, costs construction points, can be spotted from afar and can be destroyed from afar.

Meanwhile your version would allow the big bangs to happen anywhere if I understood it correctly. Also if it is a version of the IED I think yours would end up looking smaller in size, therefore harder to spot than a fuel barrel.