Jump to content

Thoughts on v10?  

161 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Through much speculation, many players have stated that they want v10 to stay released, yet updated as certain features are fixed. Would you rather have the devs;

    • release v10 once it is completely finished
      48
    • release v10 now and fix features along the road
      99
    • Integrate certain features into v9 until the rest are ready
      14

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/25/2017 at 06:59 AM

Recommended Posts

I would be happy to stick with V10 going forward, as it's definitely an improvement in regard to mechanics. However, I can see why the devs preferred to release only a temporary public testing version - there's still a fair few "obvious" bugs which make V10 feel less polished than V9.

 

Even though in terms of content and play-ability it's a step forward, if the devs are trying to appeal to a larger market who are coming into the game for the first time, then things like the 1st/3rd person view models bugging out on revival might be give the initial impression of a buggy game, even though older players will know that it's a minor issue, especially given the raft of improvements.

 

So yeah, I'd love to stay with V10. If they decide to pull the test then I'm not sure I'd go back to V9, but that's mainly because I get the feeling v10 might be here fairly soon anyway - and given that I don't get much opportunity to play, then going without any Squad at all for a couple of weeks wouldn't be such a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta throw my two cents in....yeah this was a heavy core dev team from PR, but I mean really this isn’t PR:2. This is Squad I see both sides of the story. a lot of people complaining about the current shooting mechanics are just horrible shooters that can’t get more then ten kills....so of course y’all have to complain lol.... this game was on the right track but now going heavily milsim I don’t agree one bit. Slow game play and all is fun but you can never replace the fun quick pace of its current state. Core group isn’t PR players this is a different game I know a lot have came from PR but once again this isn’t PR or a PR remake lol. The core group are the ones that have been here since the beginning of the squad Kickstarter and such..stop living in the past. Side note just because the shooting mechanics have been changed to slow pace....Top shooters from FFO, T//A, AD, Docs office, and VKNG will still be wiping the floor with the tears of players :) we will adapt and enjoy the salt from players that get mad at us for being “too good” and doesn’t make the game fun lmao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, =DRK=SLAMMED said:

Gotta throw my two cents in....yeah this was a heavy core dev team from PR, but I mean really this isn’t PR:2. This is Squad I see both sides of the story. a lot of people complaining about the current shooting mechanics are just horrible shooters that can’t get more then ten kills....so of course y’all have to complain lol.... this game was on the right track but now going heavily milsim I don’t agree one bit. Slow game play and all is fun but you can never replace the fun quick pace of its current state. Core group isn’t PR players this is a different game I know a lot have came from PR but once again this isn’t PR or a PR remake lol. The core group are the ones that have been here since the beginning of the squad Kickstarter and such..stop living in the past. Side note just because the shooting mechanics have been changed to slow pace....Top shooters from FFO, T//A, AD, Docs office, and VKNG will still be wiping the floor with the tears of players :) we will adapt and enjoy the salt from players that get mad at us for being “too good” and doesn’t make the game fun lmao

 

I've never understood this appeal to "keeping" Squad as quick paced.

V9 is still a very slow paced, tactical game and has never occurred to me to be anything but that. I'm not sure why people are up in arms about just refining that a bit. It's not like getting rid of things like dropping to prone and instantly shooting are an attempt to slow the game down anymore, just refine a mechanic that as far as I can tell, was never intended to exist anyway. I'm not sure why a lot of people are so surprised by it.

 

Edit: Wow, just spotted your last couple of sentences. What are you, 12 years old? Get over yourself, no one cares about how good you are, and everyone will adapt to the changes, but it only appears to be the "top shooters" who complain about it so vociferously.

Edited by DaiaBu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Duke_Nukem said:

You gave in to the feedback you got from the few.  Not the majority that dont really give their voice.


Squad is a game about communication, you can't really blame the developers for not listening to the part of the community who didn't speak up against Squad going in this direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Peerun said:


Squad is a game about communication, you can't really blame the developers for not listening to the part of the community who didn't speak up against Squad going in this direction.

To be fair, I doubt many people thought the gunplay would change this much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kuratomi1950 said:

Here's my take on it, I've been an early player of PR, waaaaay back in the 0.5, 6, 7, all the way until 1.4 now. When squad came out I was really hyped because it was a dream come true, the spiritual succesor to one of the best games I had ever played on a really good looking engine, I was very very very excited. Then I played it for the first time and to be honest I was kind of let down, I knew it was going to be lacking a lot of things but at least I was expecting some similar gunplay and the likes but it just felt odd, everything from the sprinting to ADS to proning time was just off. I stopped playing, came back for vehicles and left again because most of the gameplay mechanics remained the same.

 

With  v10 in SQUAD however I feel like the devs have taken a HUGE step forward, all of my friends that stopped playing squad instantly jumped back into v10 because it has now started to feel like the game the DEVS had in mind and the game they had originally planned to release and this is why I think people who say, "the gameplay is too slow now, I want point and shoot, too much time on this or that" are wrong. I'm sorry to let you know that this is the way the game was always planned. Go play Project Reality, give it a try, you'll see the despite the limiting features of the Refractor engine the devs did an amazing job and made a slow paced tactical shooter that was fun to play because it was not ARMA but it also wasn't Battlefield or Red Orchestra, they hit a sweet spot between milsim and fun. There's a reason this game is called the spiritual succesor of PR. 

 

The game is supposed to be slow paced, if you're setup waiting for someone and you have the first shot, it is most likely the other person will die and that is how it's supposed to be. You are rushing into a building don't expect to insta ADS into CQB fights like this is Rainbow Six Siege because other people are probably already looking down their sights waiting for you to go in, that's why you smoke and nade first. It's about planning and being careful not CS:GO quick flicks and reactions. 

 

I'm sorry but I can't agree with all the people that say they want the old fast gameplay back because that is not what SQUAD is meant to be, and I also can't agree with people saying they want v9 back when v10 is hundreds of miles of progress into a much better game despite the bugs. I've played a good 10 rounds and had 2 bugs. TWO. Which were both not game breaking. For an alpha game that is totally acceptable. 

 

So yes, if I had to pick I would say release V10 as it as and polish on the way, it can only get better from there. 

 

It's nice to see all the opinions pop out in the discussion. Keep it up guys! Have a great day. 

 

 

 

I love your attitude, i played pr for the last 10 years too. However, v10 doesnt feel like pr to me. or maybe it did but the bugs i encountered distracted me from the other gameplay enhancements. I did notice the slower prone to stand time, and i like it. But until the vaulting and the strange bugs are fixed, i agree that the slower pacing should stay, though the major enhancements need to be fixed before implementation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kanipshun said:

To be fair, I doubt many people thought the gunplay would change this much.

I think the recaps did a pretty good job of preparing anyone. This is like 85% the same thing I expected.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly if you put it in perspective. Continuation from the patch leaves room for players to find bugs that the devs can fix so their final release is solid. 
Kinda Like PubG does if you will. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Peerun said:

I think the recaps did a pretty good job of preparing anyone. This is like 85% the same thing I expected.
 

I agree, I believe that the next important steps of central gameplay changes that the squad must adopt are:

- rework the rp system so you have at least the constraints of the pr rp, or be removed  for who dont know : 

 

- physical supply system, just as in the PR it is necessary to carry supply bags in a supply crate and physical transfers to a mortar niche.

- rework or removal of labels. 

Edited by blayas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Duke_Nukem said:

4. Dont release v10 at all....  The shooting is terrible. the game was great just needed more content and a few tweaks to the mechanics.  It didnt need to take a left turn into milsim.  You gave in to the feedback you got from the few.  Not the majority that dont really give their voice.

 

You my friend have been wanting something completely different from what Squad has always set out to be! Its aim is a Milsim 
Squad is a 50 vs 50 multiplayer first-person shooter that aims to capture combat realism through communication and teamplay, emphasizing both strong squad cohesion mechanics as well as larger scale coordination, tactics and planning.

I vote for release when complete they is still bugs here that need fixing! Version 10 is a game changer though LOVE IT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally waited for this from pre-alpha days. This is wet dream of PR players. I heard lots of critisism from players. But hey. From early days when people were happy I just sit calmly and  patiently on my hands and waited for this moment when true stuff come out. Core of this game is PR community. Today they are overnumbered by thousands and thousands of players from other genres. But PR is core core. People will get it or leave it. 

Years of development wasnt just proggress in game but alsó small education steps for new community core. If the game from begining was like this. Nobody would play it today. Just few hundreds of PR players. But because from begining game was fast and withouth any challenges but every update add some, community could grow. Now people are looking forward togather with other who came from PR and togather wish more and more challenges which are behind corner. Thats huge success because in decade PR didnt have so many players as Squad. PR is hard and amazing game but for current players its outdayted and complicated. They didnt noticed that with Squad they slowly get it. That weird  stuff of PR/Squad. The community spirit. Teamwork. Patience and so on. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, =DRK=SLAMMED said:

Gotta throw my two cents in....yeah this was a heavy core dev team from PR, but I mean really this isn’t PR:2. This is Squad I see both sides of the story. a lot of people complaining about the current shooting mechanics are just horrible shooters that can’t get more then ten kills....so of course y’all have to complain lol.... this game was on the right track but now going heavily milsim I don’t agree one bit. Slow game play and all is fun but you can never replace the fun quick pace of its current state. Core group isn’t PR players this is a different game I know a lot have came from PR but once again this isn’t PR or a PR remake lol. The core group are the ones that have been here since the beginning of the squad Kickstarter and such..stop living in the past. Side note just because the shooting mechanics have been changed to slow pace....Top shooters from FFO, T//A, AD, Docs office, and VKNG will still be wiping the floor with the tears of players :) we will adapt and enjoy the salt from players that get mad at us for being “too good” and doesn’t make the game fun lmao

 

Squad is not PR and you are right, it is not a PR remake but these devs came from PR and I am willing to bet a lot of there ideas are in line with the game play of PR. They said it right from the beginning in the Kickstart about what they are trying to do and v9 is not it. I do not know what you guys were expecting but the devs are trying to replicate actual warfare and yes that is pretty much mil-sim in game sense. 

 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.thumb.jpg.adc83a7d072ac99dc8ef315ff3f478d4.jpg

 

Twitchy gun mechanics and fast pace game play which you find in games such as COD is not intended for Squad. With every update the game will slow down and become more, here I say it, true to life. 

 

Also in order to have a mature, sensible discussion you can not talk down to people..

Quote

"will still be wiping the floor with the tears of players :)"

Quote

we will adapt and enjoy the salt from players that get mad at us for being “too good”

Like c'mon, only people that are crying is you guys because the game is shaping up to the way it was always suppose to be. You honestly need to suck it up because the devs are not going to make the game that suits your fast pace competitive play style.

 

 

 

Edited by xXclusiive(Vergy)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Friesen said:

This exactly ^^

I was hugely disappointed with Squad gunplay mainly and stopped playing. The only thing missing for me is a small flinch/sway for passing bullets which would hugely balance out the whole optics vs iron-sights, because then the optics would seek for cover whenever the machine gun is firing at him, and not just pop up and instantly pick anyone off in seconds that's happening in Squad. It just makes me not want to play it and would be hugely disappointed if the devs reduce sway/recoil.

 

And I've made a video a while back of how the optics should behave when they're being fired at -> example of a flinch suppression from Darkest Hour 44-45 mod

 

You've mentioned the inclusion of "flinch" twice now, plus made a standalone "flinch" thread and also embedded this video and your "flinch" opinion into a couple other threads if I'm not mistaken. My question is why would anyone want the game itself to take over your movement momentarily simply because somebody shot near you? That's not a feature I'd like. I'd like to have control over my reaction to being shot. Squad already gives you audio and visual cues that someone is shooting and ultimately if you don't "flinch" on your own you die and that's pretty basic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

You've mentioned the inclusion of "flinch" twice now, plus made a standalone "flinch" thread and also embedded this video and your "flinch" opinion into a couple other threads if I'm not mistaken. My question is why would anyone want the game itself to take over your movement momentarily simply because somebody shot near you? That's not a feature I'd like. I'd like to have control over my reaction to being shot. Squad already gives you audio and visual cues that someone is shooting and ultimately if you don't "flinch" on your own you die and that's pretty basic.

Sorry but that's false. In real life your aiming ability will never be the same in the heat of the battle compared to shooting at a target range. The flinch is an instinctive reaction to oncoming bullets that soldiers do have in real life. Even if some experienced soldiers trained to this, the Squad still simulates an average soldier and not some super cyborg soldiers that are capable of returning accurate fire while being pinned down. Sorry but it's simply bogus to think that soldiers would do that in real life. And besides it's a game and no matter what blur or audio is ever gonna stop me from returning accurate fire. And with this it comes unrealistic gunplay where the optics are absolutely indomitable against any iron-sights. Like literally any iron-sights have zero chance even trying to counter the optics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Friesen said:

Sorry but that's false. In real life your aiming ability will never be the same in the heat of the battle compared to shooting at a target range. The flinch is an instinctive reaction to oncoming bullets that soldiers do have in real life. Even if some experienced soldiers trained to this, the Squad still simulates an average soldier and not some super cyborg soldiers that are capable of returning accurate fire while being pinned down. Sorry but it's simply bogus to think that soldiers would do that in real life. And besides it's a game and no matter what blur or audio is ever gonna stop me from returning accurate fire. And with this it comes unrealistic gunplay where the optics are absolutely indomitable against any iron-sights. Like literally any iron-sights have zero chance even trying to counter the optics.

Go back and read what I said. I didn't question the veracity of instinctual flinch I only said I wanted to control my own flinch because that's actually more "realistic" if you think about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that you didn't question it but you wrote that you want to control your own flinch, meaning that you don't want the flinch in-game at all. The thing that you don't seem to notice is that there isn't any flinch that can be imposed on the player solely by the audio or visual effect. Such thing that can make the person playing the game react in such a way simply due to the effect or audio effect just doesn't exist. This is why I try to explain to you that there must be a mechanical flinch-effect in-game to simulate that real life soldier's instinctive reaction as no audio or blur on the screen is ever going to stop any player from returning accurate fire.

 

Most of the people agree that the in-game flinch to passing bullets would hugely balance out the optics vs iron-sights and make firefights more last-longing and interesting than now having no imposed flinch at all.

 

 

Edited by Friesen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Friesen said:

I know that you didn't question it but you wrote that you want to control your own flinch, meaning that you don't want the flinch in-game at all.

Flinching, by its very nature, is involuntary. Controlling a flinch is impossible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You cannot flinch on your own in-game, to have flying bullets in real life is completely different than flying bullets in-game no matter what audio or visual effects you have on the screen. That's what the in-game flinch mechanic is for. Someone that disagrees with this is clearly in denial and wants to keep this Squad optic-oriented game to continue in this direction instead of firefights based on squad's coordinated suppressive fire. With the flinch the iron-sights wouldn't feel like a total cannon-fodder that is now, where even attempting to fire at an optic is a waste of time.

Edited by Friesen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

Flinching, by its very nature, is involuntary. Controlling a flinch is impossible.

My point exactly. If you're not instinctually flinching away from the direction of incoming fire and need the game to do it for you then something is wrong with your reflexes. Some older games had this ersatz feature and I disliked then and think it has no place in Squad.

 

Back to the original topic though I didn't get a chance to play v10 because of work but my vote is for the developers decision to make the patch right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

going back to V9.infinity is painful .. especially not being able to climb walls... a few things are janky about v10 but tbh its nothing major that I have seen... and didn't fail to connect to the servers once!...  feels like a different game..  lots to sort but nothing so painful it cant be released...

 

the only two things that I kinda thought meh.. was the weapon collision which needs a lot of work and suppression...felt like the sway has been lessened and there is literally no suppression 

Edited by embecmom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Duke_Nukem said:

4. Dont release v10 at all....  The shooting is terrible. the game was great just needed more content and a few tweaks to the mechanics.  It didnt need to take a left turn into milsim.  You gave in to the feedback you got from the few.  Not the majority that dont really give their voice.

confused by this... how can they respond to feedback from the many if the many don't give feedback?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

My point exactly. If you're not instinctually flinching away from the direction of incoming fire and need the game to do it for you then something is wrong with your reflexes.

My last post on this subject, this is never the case though, it's a computer game and it's never going to instinctually make you flinch (like it does in RL), not unless there's an in-game mechanic flinch which yes "does that for you" but it simulates the fact that in real life the flinch happens to be on the soldier a lot more than what you'd ever experience in game even if you'd turn up the volume so the bullets would blast your ears or no matter what visual effects it's got. It's just never the case. This is why the mechanical flinch is necessary to simulate and have the same gunplay-results that you'd usually have in real life, without it the optics on an open-game like Squad are just going to completely dominate the battlefield.

Edited by Friesen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, embecmom said:

confused by this... how can they respond to feedback from the many if the many don't give feedback?  

The "majority" might not exist in this realm :ph34r:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Devs sure did take a big bite of the apple with this update. So much so, they're still struggling to eat it.

Smaller updates rather than very big ambitious updates.

I think they wanted to deliver something big and extra special ready for Xmas, but probably realised it's a lot to squeeze in. Props for trying though! V10 is amazeballs ^_^ Incremental updates are more preferred though. Leaving us so long on V9 we're so used to how it plays as is, V10 coming out will make people question if this is even SQUAD anymore. It has changed the game massively. More so when vehicles came out, as we're talking about core mechanics such as movement, gun usage and the whole thing is drastically changed.

If you didn't get to test V10, it looks amazing, it feels "different", but it's going to the roots of what the Devs always said, back to PR game style.

Edited by Mad Ani

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×