Gatzby

Alpha 10 Public Test

It's amazing how much this update has changed the game. It is/was truly worth waiting for.

Plis, keep beta going.

Can't go back to V9 ; _ ; and there are already quite a few non-official servers which are hosting V10 so serverspace should be a-plenty.

In two minds about the update personally from the quick hour that I played. I think things are certainly going in the right direction, it just needs some polish and additional functionality added to it to round it all off as at the moment it feels both smoother but also more clunky and possibly too slow/unresponsive at times. 

Pros:

- Like the new animations

- Loving the new sounds

- Like the new particle effects

- I like the concept of trying to slow the pace of the game down and take out the run and gun factor

Cons:

- Things can feel unresponsive, sticky or very slow

- Can't seem to be able to make fast actions or cancel things

- Bi-pod placement can be tricky. 

I'll elaborate on each a bit more. So with the stickyness, I found at times I'll be running along say towards a wall, ledge, some cover and want to stop, take my fingers off the keys, and then some unwanted momentum carries me forward a few more metres. This doesn't happen 100% of the time, but there has been a number where I've wanted to get to some cover and then stop, yet I'm still moving. I get the desire of having momentum being realistic, but this takes away from the responsiveness and control from the player as it feels I have to wait for this to animation to stop before being able to carry out an action. Likewise going into a sprint, there can be moments where the animation and speed I'm moving has a bit of a miss-match, where the animation is doing a sprint half a second earlier than my actual movement, then the movement catches up and matches the animation.

Having just played with the medic after the update, the applying of bandages and starting to heal other people feels like there is now a delay upon initial pressing of buttons for the action. Before (V9) there was a much more immediate response, and the delay makes things feel more sluggish and adds uncertainty as to whether I am actually starting to apply a bandage or healing to myself or a player for a short moment before you see the animation start playing. I don't mind the time it takes to apply a bandage or heal someone up, that's fine, it's just the initial response time that again feels sluggish/unresponsive. 

I'm hoping fast reloads or fast switching/swapping weapons or kit is going to be a thing in the future, as now especially, it is very easy to get caught off-guard when you think you're alone and be able to do nothing about it as you're mid animation. I like that the focus animation is slower than before, but I think it has gone just a tiny bit too slow. With the placing of bi-pods, this will probably get better over time with the knowledge of where and how to deploy bi-pods properly, but depending on the surface, you have to be in the right stance (either standing or crouched) for it to deploy the bi-pod. Sometimes you can be at a ledge and be crouched, thinking you can deploy the bi-pod on the balcony or window ledge in front of you, for it to not work, and only working if you first stand then deploy. Other times, you can be at sandbags or a concrete barrier and deploy the bi-pod from the crouched stance just fine. I think consistency with being able to deploy the bi-pod from both stances (crouched and standing) with these kinds of scenery objects would be best, obviously, from prone, deploying the bi-pod on the ground is all groovy. 

As I said, I like the direction it is going, it can just feel clunky at times and needs a bit of polish which I'm sure will come over time. Hopefully I'm not going to get some stick for suggesting being able to do fast reloads, or fast movements with perhaps a double tap of a key as an alternative (not default) action for when it is needed. Obviously with these kind of things, there needs to be some kind of trade off, perhaps dropping and losing the mag rather than sticking it back in your webbing, or a longer reload or animation switch for next time you go back to your primary weapon. These certainly shouldn't be the default action, with just the standard single key or button press being the main use and have the standard animations and their lengths, but also offer an alternative for the time's it is needed. It's just functionality to give more control to the player, with better response and less feeling of waiting for animations to finish, or lack of reactions when you're mid reload and an enemy comes round the corner and I can do nothing but sit there and smile at him hoping he won't put a hole in my beautiful face. 

Either way, good stuff on the update! Shall be playing it a bunch more tonight to see if I can get to grips with things more and provide any further feedback.

So how much until it's over? It says December 23 6 AM GMT which means I can only play for my last 1-2 hours tonight and then It'll be gone next morning...

1 hour ago, Yorkie065 said:

snip

It's all expected, the unresponsive controls are just part of the beta version of the update. Bipod placement will be a hard thing to solve. ARMA has the same problem.

8 minutes ago, Khaos said:

It's all expected, the unresponsive controls are just part of the beta version of the update. Bipod placement will be a hard thing to solve. ARMA has the same problem.

If you mean the problem with the placement above ie. rock, then a super slow movement mode with bipod attached might solve the issue?

Ok, crashed thrice in a 20 minute time-frame, this is getting annoying losing out on good matches...........................

15 hours ago, fatalsushi said:

It’s pretty amazing. You have something to really look forward to.

well something came up and I can actually play now so maybe I'll get to find out

I’m on a gtx950 2gb and i5 3.2ghz. Game runs ok  for about 20-30 min and then crashes. Then it will crash after a minute or two whenever I join a server, making it unplayable. No error messages whatsoever. Anyone have the same issue?

Edited by fatalsushi

3 hours ago, fatalsushi said:

I’m on a gtx950 2gb and i5 3.2ghz. Game runs ok  for about 20-30 min and then crashes. Then it will crash after a minute or two whenever I join a server, making it unplayable. No error messages whatsoever. Anyone have the same issue?

I was crashing even in the menus until I manually deleted the settings folder (clear cache files or whatever), after that I was able to play for about 3 hours (3 maps) without any hiccups. 

I'd really like to play this before it ends, four times now I have reinstalled Squad trying to figure out what the deal is. It clearly isn't my internet or Steam, but I have repeated the same fresh reinstall of squad, run it once, then close game and start the beta process, as soon as I close the properties menu, the update queues, the update reaches 6.8/6.8GB, and then NOTHING. The time jumps around, counts down to under a minute, then jumps back to an hour -> 30 mins -> 20 -> 10 -> 1 -> repeat. I have deleted the squad folder in /appdata/local each time as well.

1 hour ago, Psyrus said:

I was crashing even in the menus until I manually deleted the settings folder (clear cache files or whatever), after that I was able to play for about 3 hours (3 maps) without any hiccups. 

Thanks. I’ll try this.

Uggghh it hurts when I think there's only a few hours left and then there's 2+ months of waiting again... Can't get used to V9 again jesus

2 minutes ago, Draco said:

Uggghh it hurts when I think there's only a few hours left and then there's 2+ months of waiting again... Can't get used to V9 again jesus

May I ask if that 2+ months has been officially stated anywhere or it's a rough guess?

5 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

May I ask if that 2+ months has been officially stated anywhere or it's a rough guess?

http://joinsquad.com/readArticle?articleId=244

PLEASE NOTE: This is a work in progress! Alpha 10 is still undergoing active development and does not have a scheduled release date. It will be more than three weeks; consider yourself warned! The contents of this public test are subject to change and may not be representative of the final release.

1 hour ago, Psyrus said:

>3 weeks != 2+ months

You know it's gonna take 2 months :) More than 3 weeks can mean anything from 3 weeks and a day to a year

Found the first bug that is actually really annoying... you can't really put IEDs on vehicles anymore, they just fly around after you put them on. Also, I tried exiting my bugged out IED motorcycle and I lost all my gear and got bugged, seen just one player with this bug before and he was flapping around like an arm flailing inflatable tube man which is what I experienced now aswell... RIP SVBIEDs V10

Also, another game-breaking bug. Sometimes when you vault over something, you bug out and you keep rubberbanding, cant move left/right/backwards

On 12/22/2017 at 9:11 AM, Khaos said:

It's amazing how much this update has changed the game. It is/was truly worth waiting for.

Plis, keep beta going.

Can't go back to V9 ; _ ; and there are already quite a few non-official servers which are hosting V10 so serverspace should be a-plenty.

Fully agree, if the testing branch is left open and the servers are populated, why not!

Truly amazing work on the update devs, so many changes for the better and laying the foundation for more to come.