Rich08809

Required experience for being a SL

8 hours ago, keen said:

I dont get why everybody is against a ranking system?!

I get that nobody likes leveling up for perks, unlocks and so on. A rank should not give you any gameplay advantage in a realistic, teamplay-oriented tactic-shooter like Squad. This would ruin the whole purpose of the game. 

But what is wrong with a ranking system? I think a ranking system WITHOUT any advantages besides having a certain rank/level is a really good thing. Such a level is just for you. And maybe for the example for squad leader you can see how experienced he might be. And this is not breaking the game/giving a disadvantage. It is just helping the teamplay aspect, because it is just normal that you do not promote new players to a leading-position.

But the most important thing is: you can see a progress FOR YOURSELF! and statistics are always very important and interesting (for me). I just like to see my progress. Coming everyday back to a game, playing it for hours and you can not see what you have done with all your time can be a very demotivating.

And what you want to see my friend ? How many hours you spent with shovel ? Or sitting on D flag ? Or driving logistic ? Or firing billions of bullets from AR and just pin enemy and allow friendlis get closer with grenades ? Or how many you revived ? Because those stuff are pretty much most important in game. I can simply say. Many many hours. Many many hours. Many many hours. Billions. Many many revives. Hmm. Cant tell if i need some "ranks" for that. I dont care. Whats progress?  Dont die. Have a 0 death at the end of game. Repeat. This is challenge which is extremly hard. Push deaths to 0 is pretty fine progress and I dont need any statistics for that its simple to watch. But dont tell k/d ... because its crap. With v10 many players who now suck will be great. And who is great now will be avarage. And with another update it will be again different. And one year you play pretty good and another you suck. Thats it. K/D is not interesting. At least for anybody who want chill by teamwork. Squad is simple Social area. ... Or how many you killed by Mortar. Sure ? Because its not exactly your skill but skills of other people who give you proper enemy position and correction. So its crap statement. And thats it. Many times you shooting at somewhere where you just feel that enemy is there. With gl, LAT, AR, or rifle. Or pop nade over wall you jsut have some feels that it can be dangerous to walk there. 

So at the end of day most legit information is amount of death. Just one simple statement. If you so much want it. Open a Excel and record it. You can make some graphs from it. Its easy. Because you will just couple of games per day. And 3 minutes in between rounds. Enough time. 

11 hours ago, keen said:

I dont get why everybody is against a ranking system?!

But what is wrong with a ranking system? I think a ranking system WITHOUT any advantages besides having a certain rank/level is a really good thing. Such a level is just for you. And maybe for the example for squad leader you can see how experienced he might be. And this is not breaking the game/giving a disadvantage. It is just helping the teamplay aspect, because it is just normal that you do not promote new players to a leading-position.

Ranking based on what exactly? Hours played? Because pretty much everything in game has some serious flaws. Team score? Flawed. Teamwork score? Flawed. K/D? Flawed. I mean I played a game a couple weeks ago where I had 50,000 points and my entire team only had 60,000. How many "levels" does that get me? The fact that all I did was sit in the logi in main and spam Q to my mortar FOB is completely irrelevant ;)

Personally I wouldn't mind having some way to ID 'hours played'. Something like <100, <200, <500, <1000, etc. However even that is flawed, as

A) you can rack up hours by "seeding" (sitting idle in a server). I have 2700+ hours. At least 50-60% (probably more) are from seeding a server. Not playing, not improving myself in anyway (practicing driving/routes, learning the maps, etc) - just loading up Squad, joining a server then going to work. A fellow admin will kick me when the server gets full.

B) hours tell you absolutely nothing about how competent a player is. I've had SLs who were very new and while they sucked, they did listen and take direction. Which meant I could coach them and work with them as part of the team to make it manageable. I've also had SL's who've had 500+ hours still not get the mechanics of the game and do things like place idiotic FOBs and still try to cap a flag that wasn't capable - even after it was pointed out to them (we'll just go try it anyway and see what happens - too bad we're getting our asses kicked on the important flag and it won't matter).

So even something like the system BF has, where X amount of points gets you a new "level". The issue with that, is then players will forget about playing the proper way (whether that's defending, attacking or whatever) and just go for what will get them to that next level. Sometimes that's conducive to winning the round... but when using your shovel on sandbags gets you points, and you still have players (and worse SLs) who brag about how their super FOB that was completely irrelevant gave them the best score... it's not something that's going to help the team win, which means it's meaningless.

At some point Squad will come up with a better metric for how much a player "helped" their team win. When that happens, perhaps there's some sort of easy number that can be created to try and ID a players "skill" or "competence". But until that happens, any 'ranking' number given can be gamed, and unfortunately is pretty meaningless as to how good the player actually is.

Edited by Ti0mat

7 hours ago, elerik said:

How many hours you spent with shovel ? Or sitting on D flag ? Or driving logistic ? Or firing billions of bullets from AR and just pin enemy and allow friendlis get closer with grenades ? Or how many you revived ?

Of course you should get XP (or whatever) for everything you do in game. Everything and much more than you did list. I think the K/D should count at least. Of course killing is important, but in 99% of the matches it does not help your team win. 

4 hours ago, Ti0mat said:

Ranking based on what exactly? Hours played? Because pretty much everything in game has some serious flaws. Team score? Flawed. Teamwork score? Flawed. K/D? Flawed. I mean I played a game a couple weeks ago where I had 50,000 points and my entire team only had 60,000. How many "levels" does that get me? The fact that all I did was sit in the logi in main and spam Q to my mortar FOB is completely irrelevant ;)

Just everything. It should not become like in CoD that killing gives the most XP, so every Gamemode becomes Deathmatch xD

I do not know how exactly they should implement it. But I am pretty sure there is a way that pushes and encourages teamwork and also will not give disadvantage for people who:

4 hours ago, Ti0mat said:

sit in the logi in main and spam Q to my mortar FOB 

Edited by keen

On 1/11/2018 at 11:40 PM, keen said:

Of course you should get XP (or whatever) for everything you do in game. Everything and much more than you did list. I think the K/D should count at least. Of course killing is important, but in 99% of the matches it does not help your team win. 

Just everything. It should not become like in CoD that killing gives the most XP, so every Gamemode becomes Deathmatch xD

I do not know how exactly they should implement it. But I am pretty sure there is a way that pushes and encourages teamwork and also will not give disadvantage for people who:

So in other words you want a number that means nothing other than you play - basically like the "rank" in Battlefield. What value does this bring to anyone?