Rich08809

Required experience for being a SL

Can we try to get the developers to incorporate a ranking system or experience requirement before someone can become a SL?   The amount of inexperienced SL is really starting to negatively effect this game.   I am finding more and more that I join a server and there are multiple inexperienced SLs who are not communicating, playing as a team, doing things way outside of the objectives, creating multiple small and locked quads, etc.   This is really killing this game and I am sure I am not alone in saying that my interest is declining as I am no longer having as much fun as before.   I realize we were all new players at some point and there is a learning curve.  But if we limited SLs to someone with at least xx playing hours, I think that would  benefit both the newer player and the more experienced players.

This has been talked about many many times before and the only answer I can see is join a clan and get away from public games 

Only play in a squad from your clan! Play in competitive games 

Or you can join a server "like RIP server" where locked squads are not allowed "Server rules". Some servers like "QFF1 and QFF2" allow locked squads but only if they are runing morter, logistics or armor. If you play on a server that is managed correctly and there are rules against bullshit with good admins you should be able to enjoy Squad a bit more then picking random servers with no rules and miss managed.  

As far as SL is consered, befriend a good SL and try adding him to your friends list, play with him or her often if you are not interested in joining a clan.

Take note: The locking mechanic is to be used for limiting number of squad members for a certain type of a task that is needed to do the job in the field, this is so that you do not waste manpower like having 9 ppl babysitting a 1 or 2 mortars. If its beeing used for anything ales other then functionality, its abused for favoritism and selectivism.

Favoritism and selectivism, is easly managed by server admins. It's in the interest of admins to keep a healthy server, by asking a squad leader of a 5 man, why they locked down their squad and what is the pourpose of the 5 man team. If the squad isnt called mortar team, or logistic, fob, trans squad or something similar that tells the rest of the team what the squads functionality is.

Then that 5 man squad should be asked to open their squad to others or be kicked for favoritism and selectivism. period.

Added note: Clan Squads should be exempted rule. If they want to do Recon or somthing sneaky behind enemy lines. Nevertheless those squads should state their clan tags in the squad name and squad function, squad name =WAR= MIC ONLY RECON or

[IDF] MORTAR, LOGI, FOB or (RIP) ARMOR 2 PPL MAX.

Edited by BatSithCrazy

been talked about lots.. I don't agree that there should be training.. but the locked small squad thing is a real pain the ass... and I have been shouted down more than once by highlighting that locking squads is detrimental to the game ... I suggested either limiting the no. of locked squads or only being able to lock a squad with a minimum no. of players (not 2!).... and I also think they need to reconsider going back to requiring 2 plus SL to get a vehicle... its just opened up vehicle attrition to the max and people just jumping in a truck for simple transport and abandoning it ....

5 hours ago, embecmom said:

been talked about lots.. I don't agree that there should be training.. but the locked small squad thing is a real pain the ass... and I have been shouted down more than once by highlighting that locking squads is detrimental to the game ... I suggested either limiting the no. of locked squads or only being able to lock a squad with a minimum no. of players (not 2!).... and I also think they need to reconsider going back to requiring 2 plus SL to get a vehicle... its just opened up vehicle attrition to the max and people just jumping in a truck for simple transport and abandoning it ....

+1

8 hours ago, embecmom said:

and I also think they need to reconsider going back to requiring 2 plus SL to get a vehicle... its just opened up vehicle attrition to the max and people just jumping in a truck for simple transport and abandoning it

Imho, that's definitely a factor in it, but the actual cause is making vehicles cost significantly less tickets. The new player can't really distinguish the tactical impact of losing a vehicle and you can't explain it to him during the game when he does it so that he won't do it again.
Atleast when people got mad about it before they could point out easily that what that person did just cost them 1/5th of their tickets. Etc.
It's much simpler to comprehend a change in numbers that has a direct impact on the outcome of the game for every one player, rather than an impact on a variable that affects the potentiality of an impact on a squad and by extension the rest of the people playing.

Edited by Peerun

At this point, the community manager or a dev should just post a topic in announcements and lock it about rankings and the reasons why it's not implemented. Instead of searching through the forums for rank topics we can all just point a new comer on the forums to the same OFFICIAL response topic. Someone just gotta make it...........

Or instead we can just beat around the bush and dance in a circle every 2 weeks when a new post about ranks comes up.............

On 12/17/2017 at 8:09 AM, Rich08809 said:

Can we try to get the developers to incorporate a ranking system or experience requirement before someone can become a SL?   The amount of inexperienced SL is really starting to negatively effect this game.   I am finding more and more that I join a server and there are multiple inexperienced SLs who are not communicating, playing as a team, doing things way outside of the objectives, creating multiple small and locked quads, etc.   This is really killing this game and I am sure I am not alone in saying that my interest is declining as I am no longer having as much fun as before.   I realize we were all new players at some point and there is a learning curve.  But if we limited SLs to someone with at least xx playing hours, I think that would  benefit both the newer player and the more experienced players.

Your perceptions of what is occurring during a match may differ from the actual reality of what's going on though. You only see small locked squads off away from the objectives and think they're being useless when in fact they may end up taking considerably more tickets away from the opposing team than you. When we run an IFV we typically destroy on average 4-5 logistics trucks and at least 2-3 enemy IFV's. That's a lot of tickets. And we typically stay alive the whole map. Then depending on the match we've gotten close to 50 kills just kicking back doing precision mortar strikes.

That's the beauty of Squad, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Hello Rich,

On 17/12/2017 at 5:09 PM, Rich08809 said:

Idea submitted yet, answer was : no ;)

Edited by Nightstalker21

I appreciate all the feedback but just to clarify... Locked squads to do logi runs, mortars, vehicle, etc. are one thing.   Locking squads and dorking around all game have no value.   I am not bringing up ranking in general, just making experience a necessity before being an SL.  1 bad SL can kill a game in some cases.  Maybe hours logged should be a factor.   Whether that be 10, 20, 50 etc.   Anything but letting a new person take a SL spot.  

I am an older person with wife and kids and my time is limited when it comes to playing video games.  I don't have the time to commit to a clan but I will take the advise and try to "friend" folks more.  

2 hours ago, Rich08809 said:

I appreciate all the feedback but just to clarify... Locked squads to do logi runs, mortars, vehicle, etc. are one thing.   Locking squads and dorking around all game have no value.   I am not bringing up ranking in general, just making experience a necessity before being an SL.  1 bad SL can kill a game in some cases.  Maybe hours logged should be a factor.   Whether that be 10, 20, 50 etc.   Anything but letting a new person take a SL spot.  

I am an older person with wife and kids and my time is limited when it comes to playing video games.  I don't have the time to commit to a clan but I will take the advise and try to "friend" folks more.  

This won't happen for several reasons. A) There will be many instances as new players start to play the game that in some instances no one will be able to create a squad due to lack of meeting the requirements... so just no.... B) I can create a new account right now, let it run for the next two weeks or so.... BAM 300+ hours without ever connecting to a single server.  

3 hours ago, Rich08809 said:

Just play on the Legacy, Thunderdome, Valhalla, 2fjg, FFO or Desmos and you'll have a good gaming experience.

12 hours ago, CptDirty said:

At this point, the community manager or a dev should just post a topic in announcements and lock it about rankings and the reasons why it's not implemented. Instead of searching through the forums for rank topics we can all just point a new comer on the forums to the same OFFICIAL response topic. Someone just gotta make it...........

Or instead we can just beat around the bush and dance in a circle every 2 weeks when a new post about ranks comes up.............

Its Christmas.. (well here anyway) we should all be dancing...!

13 hours ago, Odin said:

I can create a new account right now, let it run for the next two weeks or so.... BAM 300+ hours without ever connecting to a single server.  

Yeah, that's my issue with rankings: they're all an effective measurement of time and can be really intimidating for new players as a result. Like hopping into a game with ranked players, seeing someone with a ranking 7000 above yours and going, "Welp, guess this is over." Most people don't learn as a function of time as much as a function of experience, which is something they're not going to get by being locked out of a style of play for which they may be well-suited.

The other side of the coin, imho, is education. I suspect there are some interesting avenues that could point folks toward key SL skills from the get-go. 'Course, a lot of it is just going to come from willingness to communicate too!

You can be an experienced SL thx to your game time, with no XP as a real SL or soldier IRL ; or an experienced soldier/SL IRL with no gaming XP and then you just need to master the game mechanics to adapt to it, and in few hours become a strategic and good SL because you'll be able to import your IRL experience in the game ; of course with "some" adjustments... but in that case your gameplay time will not reflect your real abilities.

Edited by Nightstalker21

A Mentor tag for helpful SL's could be good. There are a lot of good players out there help them. [Mentor].name or [M].name

I would love to see “squad leader reputation” value. ppl could vote for you and how helpful you are, SL +1 = one vote, one player. The number value would be displayed and it could be a cool thing to show of as SL, a accomplishment to encourage better squad leading. This would also give squad players a tool to help drive and promote teamwork with a commending system.

However I dont think u should be able to downvote a SL to avoid abuse. If you like, thumbs up and if you don't like... well just dont vote, kind a thing.

People would be able to vote once for their every new SL. A inclusive tool would give our community a helping hand in grow towards a more positive direction.

I Feel That As A New Player Gets Use To The Game They Should Use Human Logic And Let Experienced Players Use The SL Roles And When They Feel Confident They Shale Give It A Shot.

A reputation sys would give leverage to the "normal joe" and a reward system for ppl that take their time and give a helping hand, teaching others. Is something like that alot to ask to implement?

I think this would also encourage good behaviour by keeping a friendly tone during conversations between SL and his/her squad members.

If you have a SL that talks down to his members, he might have to think twice about how he or she connects with fellow players, this will give the player base a tool to balance out the kick attitude if you do not agree with "MeLord the squad leader" lol.

I would think! its in the developers self interest to help nourish their player base to thrive, by adding funcitionality to the game that help support players that are willing to contribute. There is an opportunity here, I hope it doesn't go amiss.

2 hours ago, Skullsaw said:

I Feel That As A New Player Gets Use To The Game They Should Use Human Logic And Let Experienced Players Use The SL Roles And When They Feel Confident They Shale Give It A Shot.

I've been watching this thread and after reading this I have to say the problem is there is no requirement to be a squad leader. There can never be a requirement to be a SL because there is no requirement to be a SL.

We've all seen the pregame lobbies in pub play. One squad gets made and filled immediately and then 60 seconds later another squad gets made and then 15 seconds before the match starts begrudgingly a couple final squads are made by SLs that don't want to be SLs. What we see is that plenty of experienced players DO NOT WANT to be squad leaders. They assume its hard work. They assume the newbs make it difficult. They simply want to join a squad and be no different than the guy with 3 hours.

I get it, some people don't like to be SL. Some people are simply not cut out for the role. Others are simply assholes and we prefer they quit picking the role up. But SLs are the lynch pin for the entire game. If experienced players are NOT going to make and lead squads then inexperienced players are forced to do it. You cannot have a requirement restricting access to the SL role until you REQUIRE experienced players to accept the role.

To those of you that think this is a big issue and constantly complain about it I implore you to lead yourself. Even if you don't like squad leading it will teach you how to be a better squad member. Even better, push your friends into leading separate squads alongside of you. Nothing is more effective than SLs that are actively working together. What better way to do that than with you and your friends all picking the role?

TLDR: Its a catch 22. You can't prevent new players from being SL without simultaneously requiring veteran players to take the role. More people need to tackle the role so the same five guys on a team don't get burnt out.

Imo, this is mostly about managing damages. The one thing I see again and again, is that someone makes a squad, leaves it, and the people that joined it stay. Often for a long time without an SL, sometimes it seems practically the whole game, as the person, who gets put into the SL position leaves etc etc.

The issue is that at the moment squads are, in a sense, like lobster traps. It's easy to get it one, but harder to realise you're in a bad one and get out.

As stated by others above, I think you might need to take things to the next level and seriously think of joining a clan.  I'm certain that there are clans out there that will accommodate your schedule. 

I do agree that Noobs should not be assuming the role of a squad leader until they've achieved a level of competence. This should be at the discretion of the individual and not by a ranking system or the hand of Offworld.  No matter where you go, there will always be assholes that refuse to work together.  I myself, have only been playing for a short while.  Due to my lack of experience, I won't be leading a squad for awhile although I'd love an opportunity to try my hand at it some day.  I don't need a ranking system, or some invisible scoring script to tell me when I should, or should not, squad lead. 

If joining a clan is out of the question, then you have some choices.  If you don't like who's leading your squad, you have three choices, stomach it, help, or leave.  If another SL is abusive, you can ignore him, try to work with him or leave. 

With PR added, I've been squad leading for 10 years. I'd be helping out a lot of players if I spent all my time just squad leading 9 man infantry squads all the time. But I don't want to do that. Sometimes I just like fighting. Squad leaders need a break too.

Sure, it would be nice that anytime you join a squad you have a competent and experienced leader that knows just the right thing to do and how to get his squad moving together. But those people are a limited resource. It isn't like you have a 9 man infantry squad and half the players in it are all experienced SLs, and just didn't have the chance to open a squad!

Having a great leader is nice but you're not always going to get that. That's how life is. Some leaders will be good, some will be bad, and some will be inexperienced. You're never going to have an ample supply of knowledgeable and competent leaders. In any field, military or not. Even when you have a "requirement" for said positions. Making a requirement for leaders would just cut down the number of available squad leaders even further. Then we'd all be squadless.

Edited by Cavazos

I like the idea, I just do not see how it would work - especially when there are multiple servers that kick unassigned players if they do not eventually join a squad. But even if it does work... what's the cutoff? Because I played with a really special character tonight, and he had over 600 hours. Hours mean absolutely nothing in regards to how knowledgeable or competent someone is as a SL. I mean I have 2600 hours, and I know many SLs who are better at it then I am.

And while limiting SLs to X hours might help - that's no guarantee that they're competent or can even grasp the understanding of how the game works or why "defending" a FOB that's 2 flag's back is a waste of time and manpower and can cost us the game. I'd much rather have a SL who has 20 hours, but listen's to more experienced players and SLs, SL a squad, then have one who has 150-200 (or more) hours SL a squad, but not have a ****ing clue what they're doing, where they should be, or placing absolutely retarded FOBs down that only hinder the team due to their placement.

Additionally, what happens if they do not have the hours to create a squad, but all the squads are full? If they're on our server and it's full, eventually they'll be kicked. Basically my point is that while it would be nice if there was some sort of ranking system in game that could give players some sort of idea as to how experienced ppl are (would also lead to a way to autobalance teams), the idea that anything like this should be used to limit the SL kit to "experienced" players, and that doing so will lead to a better experience is false.

Edited by Ti0mat

It doesn't matter how many hours you have in game or training, fact is taking an SL role will always be overwhelming when you first start and you have to start somewhere at some point.  These complaints about SLs not having experience tend to come from those that already have many hours in the game but never take the responsibility of being an SL. A little unfair to start complaining about the new boys stepping up.

I had two new SLs yesterday, one at the end of the round said he never wanted to do it again, but he was actually very good at it for his first time the other said at the beginning he was new and I left his squad immediately.   

Stop moaning about it and either help them or leave the squad or step up.  No need for convoluted ranking system.