Good day gentlemen,

I,m Bruno, the VFX artist, and I am interested to hear some feedback on the VFX so far since our initial play test sessions till now.

Off course they are very WIP and they will improve version by version.

Are you guys enjoying them? Any suggestions? problems?

Thank you all in advance and for the opportunity to do this for you!

Warm hugs,

B-runoe

The backblast is amazing in game. I would love to take some damage when behind that thing so you need to make sure you are shooting safe :D I like the effects when you shoot wood, too. Looks really realistic how the woodparticles lfy around. I just miss the effects for other surfaces, for now we don't even have decals like bulletholes. But I'm sure thats down the road :)

Good job so far.

The only thing I can think of to take your attention to, is that the effects are going to smoke effects. If you play on a misty map or have a smoke grenade in front of you and something explodes in the smoke or behind it you see the explosion effect in black through the smoke and thats pretty ugly...I of course know that it's still alpha, but you asked for feedback :D

The back blast from the RPG and LAW are amazing!

I had one go off right next to me. Was like a work of art witnessing that up close. <3

Those fire particle effects are very cool but I don't think they should be in RPG and LAW. There is no such fire coming from RPG when fired and also right now those particles linger very long.

The effect itself is very cool and I'm sure there's uses for it but please remove it from RPG and LAW.

Good work Bruno keep it coming!

Those fire particle effects are very cool but I don't think they should be in RPG and LAW. There is no such fire coming from RPG when fired and also right now those particles linger very long.

The effect itself is very cool and I'm sure there's uses for it but please remove it from RPG and LAW.

Good work Bruno keep it coming!

I beg to differ

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/smraweohbpnuvv25utcb.gif

Personal photo from my Afghan trips.

hZGbLH5.jpg

Hey Bruno I remember back in the start of April/May, a build of the game had dust kick up as you ran. 

Was this a bad idea or are you still working on implementing it?

I'm hoping they make the actual Blast effect light the area up like shown in your pic (like a second of just really bright light). The way it is in-Game currently is a bit weak (like a small orange orb of dull light appear's).

Hey Bruno I remember back in the start of April/May, a build of the game had dust kick up as you ran. 

Was this a bad idea or are you still working on implementing it?

It's still in there but the effect was over the top so they toned it down a little bit. If you look down your legs while running you can see it.

I beg to differ

Yes but that super fast flash is way different than those "fireflies" that linger over a second after you launch RPG in squad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mlbWSd4oRo

In this video you can see those "firefly" particles very well. What I'm trying to say is it should be just quick flash and not like that.

Yes but that super fast flash is way different than those "fireflies" that linger over a second after you launch RPG in squad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mlbWSd4oRo

In this video you can see those "firefly" particles very well. What I'm trying to say is it should be just quick flash and not like that.

agree with ilee. the little bits of flame that linger after an explosion are neat, and probably a cool exhibit of what UE4 is capable of, IRL its almost all of the time just smoke that is lingering after an RPG fires. id like to see the sound of explosions amped up a bit more and the VFX made a little less flashy.

Hi Bruno I love the VFX!

I would like to see:

Tracers glow a little more and light objects more when passing close to them etc

The embers and VFX to stay they look wonderful.

Muzzle flash to be visible when being fired upon at night.

Bullet Impact dust to be a little more defined/thicker/bigger, based upon round size etc would be great!

Great Job Bruno, keep up the good work!

agree with ilee. the little bits of flame that linger after an explosion are neat, and probably a cool exhibit of what UE4 is capable of, IRL its almost all of the time just smoke that is lingering after an RPG fires. id like to see the sound of explosions amped up a bit more and the VFX made a little less flashy.

Turn up your volume, they are loud as hell mate as are all the sound effects, in fact i have never heard a game's audio so balanced and crisp at this stage. I also doubt very much they will remove something that is very nice looking that nearly everybody likes, I personally think your being a little nit picky there :P

Turn up your volume, they are loud as hell mate as are all the sound effects, in fact i have never heard a game's audio so balanced and crisp at this stage. I also doubt very much they will remove something that is very nice looking that nearly everybody likes, I personally think your being a little nit picky there :P

How do you know nearly everybody likes them? I agree with M81 on the subject of RPG fireflies. I hope they stay a little bit more on the "realistic" side of things. I mean, it would be nice selling point too, all other games don't even bother to make things look realistic :)

I really like the effect itself but I just think it shouldn't be on RPG. I'm absolutely sure there's many places where it would fit much better and still be equally good looking.

How do you know nearly everybody likes them? I agree with M81 on the subject of RPG fireflies. I hope they stay a little bit more on the "realistic" side of things. I mean, it would be nice selling point too, all other games don't even bother to make things look realistic :)

Because the opinions on the forums are the general consensus of the players in game.  :rolleyes:

Because the opinions on the forums are the general consensus of the players in game.  :rolleyes:

Oh right, because 10 people are the general consensus of players ingame, and they totally speak for the thousands of players playing the game :rolleyes:

There were also a lot of guys saying the don't like the fireflies, do they represent the general consensus of players ingame too?

Hi Bruno I love the VFX!

I would like to see:

Tracers glow a little more and light objects more when passing close to them etc

The embers and VFX to stay they look wonderful.

Muzzle flash to be visible when being fired upon at night.

Bullet Impact dust to be a little more defined/thicker/bigger, based upon round size etc would be great!

Great Job Bruno, keep up the good work!

I would support this post.

I agree with M81 and BigPickle.... plus who cares how beautiful it looks when it isn't realistic. Those effects would be awesome over something like a fireplace at an OpFor FOB but it needs to be more flash and smoke for the RPG and LAW.

It may also be because it hasn't been implemented but something similar to Arma 3s HDR lighting system would be nice. Making your screen slightly darker when firing or near light to give the feel of your eyes adjusting, and then being able to see slightly better after being in the dark for 2-3 mins.

The VFX for grenades are really nice. Hoping for more types of grenades later on down the road.

Hi gentlemen!

First of all thank you very much for the feedback, good to hear some!

Yes this RPG backblast effect will be modified.

I will make it longer through the back, a bit more smoke to the front, reduce the size and fireflying of the sparks and add a fireball animation blended to them that WILL light the area around it.

We can fine tune this toghether guys and I can post videos of how its looking so everyone can be happy and can track my work.

Obviously, you guys know how forums are and often there are battles between armchair generals etc on how things must look but still, lets try and do this.

There will be tons more effects I mean this is the tip of the iceberg compared to what I still have coming (picture how many FX PR has for example, my last project before this).

But there will be many effects where I will need your critical eye in order to polish till perfection (please be reasonable though, I dont speak caveman ^_^)

My aim IS realism, I have the philosophy that real life/nature produces the most fascinating phenomena in this regard so no need to Hollywood this up.

Again, you guys rock, and keep the feedback coming!

Hugs from Paraguay ^^

I beg to differ

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/smraweohbpnuvv25utcb.gif

hZGbLH5.jpg

Is that a Gustav? Those beasts are awesome. We only had 2 in my unit for illumination purposes, so I only got to shoot it once. A thing to remember.

I already said this when the grenades were first implemented: I love cool looking effects. I am not a realism whore. I dont care if the effect does look a little different in reality. As long as it looks cool in the game I like it. Keep it coming Bruno!