Silly_Savage

Regarding v10 Staging Period

With the introduction of v10, the 3 minute pre-match spawn timer will be replaced with a 3 minute staging period located inside your respective team's main base. The purpose of this staging period is to organize your squad and communicate with other members of your team to coordinate a cohesive battle plan. 

To minimize griefing, you will be unable to fire your weapon during this time. However, based off the gif found in the November Recap, it appears vehicles will still be operable. While the prospect of griefing is significantly less likely to occur within the confines of a vehicle, the opportunity is still ever-present.

There are a number of ways vehicles can potentially be abused before the match begins. Off the top of my head, some examples include: running over teammates, ramming other vehicles (possibly causing them to flip), and blocking off any exits out of main, which could severely hamper your team's initial rollout. Additionally, there are other, less obvious ways of griefing, such as using a vehicle's engine noise to drown out any form of inter/intrasquad communication (I'm looking at you MT-LB).

Every game has its share of trolls, but by disabling vehicles prior to round start, the feasibility of griefing is even further diminished. If disabling vehicles outright is seen as too extreme, then perhaps being unable to start a vehicle's engine is the way to go. You'd still be able to load up into vehicles, you just wouldn't be able to go anywhere or create any unnecessary noise until the game actually begins.

The pre-match staging period has been a highly anticipated feature for some time now; I'd hate to see it released in a potentially abusable state.

Thoughts?

You also have 3 minutes to kick those trolls. 

Admins shouldnt be busy in that time anyway.

In addition: the ability to turn of local voice without going to the menu.

26 minutes ago, Elirah said:

You also have 3 minutes to kick those trolls. 

Admins shouldnt be busy in that time anyway.

Admins shouldn't be the solution to programmatically solvable issues, IMO. There are many cases where admins are not available. :) 

5 hours ago, Silly_Savage said:

With the introduction of v10, the 3 minute pre-match spawn timer will be replaced with a 3 minute staging period located inside your respective team's main base. The purpose of this staging period is to organize your squad and communicate with other members of your team to coordinate a cohesive battle plan. 

To minimize griefing, you will be unable to fire your weapon during this time. However, based off the gif found in the November Recap, it appears vehicles will still be operable. While the prospect of griefing is significantly less likely to occur within the confines of a vehicle, the opportunity is still ever-present.

There are a number of ways vehicles can potentially be abused before the match begins. Off the top of my head, some examples include: running over teammates, ramming other vehicles (possibly causing them to flip), and blocking off any exits out of main, which could severely hamper your team's initial rollout. Additionally, there are other, less obvious ways of griefing, such as using a vehicle's engine noise to drown out any form of inter/intrasquad communication (I'm looking at you MT-LB).

Every game has its share of trolls, but by disabling vehicles prior to round start, the feasibility of griefing is even further diminished. If disabling vehicles outright is seen as too extreme, then perhaps being unable to start a vehicle's engine is the way to go. You'd still be able to load up into vehicles, you just wouldn't be able to go anywhere or create any unnecessary noise until the game actually begins.

The pre-match staging period has been a highly anticipated feature for some time now; I'd hate to see it released in a potentially abusable state.

Thoughts?

Those are valid concerns but I'm more interested to know if your weapons become live inside the base the millisecond the game starts which would just be a 3 minute postponement of what happens now. I can pretty much guarantee that you're going to hear 3 minute DJ sets in local as well...

Hence my request/concern.

You can't communicate across the whole team in local in the pre-game timer now, just the 20 seconds at the end (which sometimes feels too long...), has to go via SL's if that even happens at all, most is in-game and only relevant then. Of course it would be nice to relay something to other team member in local or talk to friend in other squad about a cool move you pulled of last game, but sadly not everyone is so restraint or considerate. And patience seems scarce these days.

Why add staging area if you cant enter or prepare in the vehicles, or make a column for leaving the base?

I would say just trust the playerbase, if people want to be banned on servers, then it's their own fault. I'm sure the admins can deal with it anyways.

Any way of making deploying a no smoke zone at the start. Considering some admins worry about servers drop. 

You could also disable all weapons for the first 30 seconds or so after the gate goes down at main which would eliminate trolls with explosives having much of an effect. 

I feel like you guys over estimate the amount of trolling that will happen. do people with explosives immediately TK half the team on a regular game? because they have the same capabilities. Trust the community, if it's a problem they can fix it later, I highly doubt there will be a problem.

geez there must be a lot of immature little turds out there. i also think you guys are overly worried about how bad it could get.

i have a possible solution: the CaptureZone for the Mains will act as a universal protection zone (i kno it supposed to already). ie: you cannot die inside the zone, from anything, and the Zone boundry is set to cull any outgoing or incoming projectiles.

this would stop any possibility of vehicle deaths inside the zone, stop any raping with external weapons, and stop turds inside from TK'ing.

If people want to be assholes then no one can really stop them apart from an admin kick...

What that's going to do is really hurt the layers that don't have many vehicles like OP first light where I usually tell my squads holding spawn. If everyone has already spawned automatically in the staging area then blyat.....

21 hours ago, Psyrus said:

Admins shouldn't be the solution to programmatically solvable issues, IMO. There are many cases where admins are not available. :) 

Thats fine be me if you think so.

I think that the community shouldnt suffer fun because of a small portion of individuals who are griefing. 

Also, i dont think that the programming effort should go towards restrictions to avoid trolling, but more towards the game for everyone. 

Exploding vehicles in main, and intentional griefing should be an instant banable offense anyway. 

Trolls always find that little keyhole to grief somewhere, you cant build all the restrictions to make it work. Giving them not the option to find those keyholes with bans is for me much more effective than letting them play and try to close every keyhole they find.

Others in this thread pointed that out too.

23 hours ago, Silly_Savage said:

Thoughts?

I say let the trolls do their thing during the staging period, it will just be weening them out and banning them before the real match.

14 minutes ago, DefNotJake said:

I say let the trolls do their thing during the staging period, it will just be weening them out and banning them before the real match.

Like mentioned above, this is a not a way to dissolve issues. This will only cause admin to wear out more. 

Last time I've seen someone shoot in main was like 2 months ago. Overall I saw TK in main like 6 times tops and that's prevalently during free weekends. What servers are you people playing on?

Just now, Peerun said:

Last time I've seen someone shoot in main was like 2 months ago. Overall I saw TK in main like 6 times tops and that's prevalently during free weekends. What servers are you people playing on?

Just yesterday in DPG, Someone shot my ass off while riding out b/c Boo-hoo my vic was full and we couldn't give them a damn uber to the cap point...

13 hours ago, Cypress said:

I feel like you guys over estimate the amount of trolling that will happen. do people with explosives immediately TK half the team on a regular game? because they have the same capabilities. Trust the community, if it's a problem they can fix it later, I highly doubt there will be a problem.

1 hour ago, Peerun said:

Agreed on both counts. I rarely see griefing, trolling or general bad behaviour in this game. The only time I have seen it has been during the free weekends, and even then it's rare - Squad doesn't seem to attract that sort of community in my experience, so I think people might be overthinking the risks of the staging period. 

13 hours ago, Cypress said:

Trust the community, if it's a problem they can fix it later, I highly doubt there will be a problem.

The Project Reality community was by far the most mature, cooperative, and friendly community I have ever had the pleasure of being a part of. I met a lot of fun and like-minded people over the years that I can proudly say I am still friends with more than a decade later. There's no doubt in my mind that Squad is capable of establishing a community of the same caliber, if not better.

With that said, I did not mean to suggest that the Squad community is full of trolls or that servers are plagued with team killers and griefers. In fact, I am in agreement with those who claim that, for the most part, this proposal is likely unnecessary.

However, I think some may not have fully grasped exactly what I was trying to get at, so I'll do my best to elaborate. My proposal was not about disabling vehicles during the pre-match staging period because servers are overrun with immature players sabotaging their teams left and right. Instead, I envisioned it as more of a safeguard against potential trolls that go out of their way to disrupt and ruin games simply for their own enjoyment without the consideration of others.

Think of it this way: You drive to work/school/etc. and back everyday. You're a safe driver; you use your turn signals, check your blind spot before switching lanes, and keep a safe distance between you and the car in front of you at all times. The thing is though, you're not the only motorist on the road. In fact, little Timmy down the street just got his permit and decided to take his friends for a joyride in his dad's new Prius. Unfortunately, Timmy didn't pay enough attention in driver's ed and blew through a stop sign at 60mph, plowing straight into you. Despite your car being totaled, you were smart enough to be wearing your seat belt, which ended up saving your life. Although the chances of actually getting into an accident and thus the necessity of buckling your seat belt are quite low, why take that risk in the first place?

To put things back into perspective regarding Squad, think of my proposal as the proverbial seat belt. While it may be unneeded for the good majority of the time, why put yourself in a situation where one troll could potentially ruin the game for an entire team?

18 hours ago, Silly_Savage said:

However, I think some may not have fully grasped exactly what I was trying to get at, so I'll do my best to elaborate. My proposal was not about disabling vehicles during the pre-match staging period because servers are overrun with immature players sabotaging their teams left and right. Instead, I envisioned it as more of a safeguard against potential trolls that go out of their way to disrupt and ruin games simply for their own enjoyment without the consideration of others.

Think of it this way: You drive to work/school/etc. and back everyday. You're a safe driver; you use your turn signals, check your blind spot before switching lanes, and keep a safe distance between you and the car in front of you at all times. The thing is though, you're not the only motorist on the road. In fact, little Timmy down the street just got his permit and decided to take his friends for a joyride in his dad's new Prius. Unfortunately, Timmy didn't pay enough attention in driver's ed and blew through a stop sign at 60mph, plowing straight into you. Despite your car being totaled, you were smart enough to be wearing your seat belt, which ended up saving your life. Although the chances of actually getting into an accident and thus the necessity of buckling your seat belt are quite low, why take that risk in the first place?

I think your analogy is wrong. What you are proposing is, that no one can drive on the road, because there is always that one guy who didnt pay attention and might plow right into your car. Thats just not how it works. Imagine in reallife you would ban and stop everything bad happening, it would be insane.

However, seeing that in the USA there are rules written that the coffeecup with hot coffee is indeed hot, then your proposal might make sense.

People should however learn from their mistakes and shouldnt be stopped doing them. Thats what makes people great and strong, and it is what made the community of PR so mature. In PR there was nothing to prevent you from trolling, however, in only very rare cases someone trolled, because the punishment was high.

In the end, trolls always find their way to troll, and because its rare, admins SHOULD be able to deal with that, thats what an admin should do.

They dont have much more to do than correct the behaviour of the server and maybe set the next map. If thats wearing an admin down, he shouldnt be admin in the first place.

1 hour ago, Elirah said:

They dont have much more to do than correct the behaviour of the server and maybe set the next map. If thats wearing an admin down, he shouldnt be admin in the first place.

Just out of curiosity, how often do you administer 80-100 player servers in PR/Squad alone (one-man admin)? You seem to have pretty strong opinions about the position which from what I can tell could come from two possible roots:

• A veteran admin on a regularly populated server
  • Ignorance about how much work goes into the admin position