Nightingale87

Name TAGS and game rythm

Just to give some background for my feedback, I got SQUAD because I play PR. Whoever has played PR for some time will understand then my arguments better.

I think SQUAD is really good. The sound is amazing, the way it looks, the sound is amazing, the firefights, the sound is amazing....did I say the sound is amazing?.

Now I think that the immediate visibility of temmates Name TAGS takes A LOT of realism off the game. There is no need to confirm target, it it moves and there is no name tag, shoot!...ask later. Well no need to ask actually it can only be an enemy. You can step on any point in the middle of the battle, swing your mouse around and know who´s who, and where the Friends are, so shoot the other way. EVEN THROUGH WALLS!!!!....I think that assesing this in a more realistic way will make it feel less arcady.

The other thing I´ve noticed is that players can spawn inside a fob even if its under attack and enemy is quite close to it. I´ve felt many times that I was spawning, running out throwing frags and shooting right out of the fob. As if this was some Call of duty deathmatch mode. I think the distance of spawn disabling* should be corrected. 

All in all these 2 things make the game´s rythm a bit too arcady for me. I think it´s a completely different thing from Project Reality. Two different games, for good or bad. 

Anyway, Great game, can´t wait to use choppers and tanks!

Couldn't agree more about the name tags. But I have heard some encouraging unofficial comments about the way they work, and we might yet live to see them changed, at least to the point where they don't pop up for friendlies more than a few meters away. Also, for a bit of context, the tags used to not be visible through walls, but the raycasting was too expensive, and they ended up doing this for optimization's sake.

As for the FOBs under attack... yeah. But, again, these are still game mechanics that should undergo a lot of work and tweaks before release, so let's stay hopeful!

Servers should have the ability to remove name tags , or make them appear at a smaller distance . 

One of the things i liked the most about PR was the target confirmation aspect of it, which made dedcated spoters very essential to the team and promoted teamwork and communication.

If only the DEVs would allow the Server Owners to manage it by setting the Server console command (~) to DisableHudWidgets; for all players on server. List server as custom for those that want this experience. 

As of now, setting the console command to DisableHudWidgets is at the individual player level. I typically play this way due to the reasons stated above, but it could be more interesting if the whole server was set that way. At least until a solution is in. 

On 12/2/2017 at 1:25 PM, EA_SUCKS said:

nametags suck

More or less than EA? =P

On 12/2/2017 at 3:15 PM, PROTOCOL said:

As of now, setting the console command to DisableHudWidgets is at the individual player level. I typically play this way due to the reasons stated above, but it could be more interesting if the whole server was set that way

Interesting idea! I think it's currently undergoing some unrelated work, but that's something we can float along.

Let's play devil's advocate....nametags are a way to distinguish between players. If you have 2 friendlies of the same role kit in front of you and you want to address one of them and not the other, how would you do it without a nametag?

If there are no nametags then how would you know which friendly is your squad mate vs a team mate?

As for FOB/HAB under attack, it all depends on the location it was placed. If the HAB was deliberately placed on a flag to contest it and "superfob" then it makes sense you would come under heavy fire upon spawning. Think of Radio Tower on Chora Valley....

53 minutes ago, CptDirty said:

Let's play devil's advocate....nametags are a way to distinguish between players. If you have 2 friendlies of the same role kit in front of you and you want to address one of them and not the other, how would you do it without a nametag?

If there are no nametags then how would you know which friendly is your squad mate vs a team mate?

This always comes up, despite there being a simple (and well tested) solution. Nametags would pop up after you aim at a friendly player for a period of time. The closer you are, the faster the name tag shows. If the friendly is further away, the name tag would take up to a few seconds to appear. There would be a sensible maximum distance set for this, if you're any further than that the nametag doesn't appear at all. The nametags also don't show when aiming at  dead or wounded friendlies.

No need to reinvent the wheel just for the sake of being original.

As for the HABs, I'm on the fence. On one side, I feel like the PR way of doing things was a bit too restrictive. On the other hand in Squad I just can't see the appeal of shooting enemies while they're materializing out of thin air right in front of me while my teammates dig the HAB out, or even worse, the defenders being able to outspawn the attackers since the attackers have a longer way to go from their spawn if they die. Both of these situations tend to leave a bitter taste in my mouth when they occur. I feel like there has to be some middle ground there, or even a completely different solution to the whole spawning system.

1 hour ago, MultiSquid said:

This always comes up, despite there being a simple (and well tested) solution. Nametags would pop up after you aim at a friendly player for a period of time. The closer you are, the faster the name tag shows. If the friendly is further away, the name tag would take up to a few seconds to appear. There would be a sensible maximum distance set for this, if you're any further than that the nametag doesn't appear at all.

That makes sense. So basically not completely removing nametags but rather limiting it's usage based on distance and mouse hover acquisition so to speak. I can get behind that for sure.

1 hour ago, MultiSquid said:

The nametags also don't show when aiming at  dead or wounded friendlies.

That I don't agree with. I think it's hard enough as it is to get players to play the medic role. No reason making it harder for them to actually be useful. There has to be a good balance between realism and arcade. 

I agree the name tags suck. In my opinion they should have hardcore servers, where non of this crap would be turned on. And even more real bullet ballistics and handling of the weapon. Because now its just laser show.

nametags are not useful in all situations.... an enemy soldier can inadvertently be camouflaged by friendly nametags during a firefight by downed friendlies... or just friendly in front at distance name tag pops up through wall enemy is in even though the friendly is far behind them.. 

might be useful to have downed tags a different colour and perhaps the name tag fade slightly based on distance?

One of the more frustrating things is seeing an enemy, taking aim and hesitating for a split second, because you see a friendly tag (usually a blueberry halfway across the map) and as a result miss or get killed.

On 12/2/2017 at 6:15 PM, PROTOCOL said:

If only the DEVs would allow the Server Owners to manage it by setting the Server console command (~) to DisableHudWidgets; for all players on server. List server as custom for those that want this experience. 

As of now, setting the console command to DisableHudWidgets is at the individual player level. I typically play this way due to the reasons stated above, but it could be more interesting if the whole server was set that way. At least until a solution is in. 

On 12/4/2017 at 11:55 AM, Gatzby said:

Interesting idea! I think it's currently undergoing some unrelated work, but that's something we can float along.

^Would love to hear more about this being explored and how it may be implemented in a future update. Thanks for the consideration!

Fully agree , allowing servers to remove name tags as an option it's a thing i am still wondering why it is not in a game yet :( , the server should display a messeage that informs players that name tags are off, so they should play at thier own risk of team killing and getting banned .

Edited by L0cation

i'm sure i or someone else has mentioned it before: JO had Client-side options for Distance and Colour for Name tags as well as the ability to turn them On/Off completely, in the game option menus and were also adjustable on-the-fly whilst playing - so you could change them depending on circumstance and personal preference.

On 12/2/2017 at 3:15 PM, PROTOCOL said:

Unfortunately that disables a lot more than just names (iirc).