Buttars

Compiling a Linux version

Dear Squad Developers,

I am a Linux home user and would love to see your game come to the Linux platform. The fact that Unreal Engine has a Linux build feature makes this process easy! 

Here is the documentation to do so, should be simple enough. 

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Compiling_For_Linux

Honestly, there is a lack of good shooters on the Linux platform. Being a quality game on Linux would give Offworld Industries a great edge and I'm sure would increase sales. 

If your team decides not to support it, can you please remove it from showing up in my STEAMOS + Linux library?

Thanks guys. 

Edited by Buttars
Added small request

4 hours ago, Buttars said:

. Being a quality game on Linux would give Offworld Industries a great edge and I'm sure would increase sales. 

While I think it would be great after the game is released if they have some extra time, realistically the amount of effort that it could potentially take for extra support costs as well as the additional overhead of linux versioning/distribution (I don't know how easy steam makes it, it may be insignificant) doesn't seem to make much sense when you consider less than half a percent of steam users are on linux. This, if it translates to more sales, could probably be counted on the devs' hands. 

4mXOXuRvRG_NwRkslGCK0g.png

That being said, if they aren't using any windows specific libraries, it would be a "nice to have" some day when the game is more fleshed out. 

4 hours ago, Buttars said:

If your team decides not to support it, can you please remove it from showing up in my STEAMOS + Linux library?

That's a great point. 

On 11/30/2017 at 5:47 PM, Psyrus said:

While I think it would be great after the game is released if they have some extra time, realistically the amount of effort that it could potentially take for extra support costs as well as the additional overhead of linux versioning/distribution (I don't know how easy steam makes it, it may be insignificant) doesn't seem to make much sense when you consider less than half a percent of steam users are on linux. This, if it translates to more sales, could probably be counted on the devs' hands. 

4mXOXuRvRG_NwRkslGCK0g.png

That being said, if they aren't using any windows specific libraries, it would be a "nice to have" some day when the game is more fleshed out. 

That's a great point. 

That is some valid points, but the compiling of a Linux version can be done extremely easily with little to no effort (relatively). Even 1% of 125,000,000 users is a considerable amount of users especially considering that It would make Squad one of the most competitive games on the Linux platform almost guaranteeing profits for the devs for almost no work. And if the devs are using any Windows dependent tools on a multiplatform engine, that would be just silly. The only negative I could see is the potential for cheaters due to Linux being more difficult to program anti cheats on. Although, the cheating scene on Squad is already extremely low and Linux cheats are not profitable so there is little to no incentive for p2c companies to invest their time or effort.

Edited by Buttars

I have been waiting for a Linux launch for ages. As I understand it, there is the in-game VOIP and VOIP effects that lack support for Linux.

I use Linux 98% of the time in front of the screen. I understand that developers have a lot to do and have a tight schedule. A test release for Linux (with missing features) or only the Fire Range had been a huge step in the right direction :)

I hope Offworld Ind. takes the time to fix what's missing. This game needs all the Linux gamers out there. PM me if you need some Linux testers ;)

EDIT: The number of Linux users with Steam installed increases every day. Today, 0.41% (88217 Linux Gamers) have completed the survey. There are even more who have not completed the survey and there will be many more when the favorite game is launched for linux.

If Squad is launched for Linux, the game will get a huge PR. More users using Windows will consider installing Linux.

Edited by aCeTotal