Khaos

Assistant Rifleman Class

Hi everyone, thought I'd come and give one of quite a few suggestions that have been on my mind since Squad's release. I think especially from PR players this will be a fairly agreed upon feature however my method of implementation is a little different.

So as it stands rifleman are starting to get some love (which is fantastic and I hope we see more) in the means of getting single deployables like the sandbag wall. Right now a fairly big problem that exists is that of being able to only resupply at FOB's (unless the cheesey, deploy fob > deploy ammo then destroy thing is still going to be in the foreseeable feature). Back in Project Reality every rifleman had an ammo kit which gave ammo to anyone who stood over it and it was very limited which worked fairly well. However it's understandable that having every rifleman being able to carry ammo could make fob resupply redundant so I propose we add a new non-support class which is an Assistant Rifleman.

In many (probably most) real world armed forces down at squad or fireteam level you will have assistants whether they be automatic rifleman assistants or assistant anti-tank gunners and their job is to carry extra munitions for their respective role. Now in Squad having a different assistant class for each is not necessary and would clutter the spawn menu. Instead having a Assistant Rifleman that carries a depleting ammo box, could then be an assistant of anyone including rifleman or grenadiers (however read the further detail part below for a potential expansion) and the number of assistant's like the supports could be scaled based on how many people are in the squad. For example a squad of 4 can only have one assistant but a full squad could have 2.

With a role like this you can easily have a more dedicated squad such as anti-tank or fire support without having "unfair" rifleman with ammo or being forced to retreat to a fob as soon as you run empty. This separate role could probably be removed in the eventuality of kit customisation but we will have to see how that works. The way the ammo box would work is different to PR and this is for good reason so bear with me. The ammo box would be placed similar to sandbags, but would come constructed and it would use the resupply menu similar to the current FOB resupply boxes but without the ability to change kits. The ammo box would have a set number of resources and inside you would have an option to choose between each munition of a squad and each press would give you one. So inside you could take:

• Pistol Mag
  • Rifle Mag
  • Autorifleman Mag
  • Marksman Mag
  • Frag Grenade
  • Smoke Grenade (Probably just white smoke as it's used on most classes)

Then you'd have the bigger supports which would cost more supply (maybe even having their own type of ammo box, so the assistant would carry two types?)

• Rocket/Tube (Yes I know disposable LAT's wouldn't fit but ignore that)
  • Machinegunner Mag
  • Mine/IED/C4
  • Grenade Launcher Rounds
  • (Whatever new toys come later in development)

So based on how much supply there is, you could choose a single rocket/tube for your LAT and then maybe a few magazines or you could choose two rockets/tubes and deplete it. The goal of the ammo box is to either resupply everyone slightly with the essentials or choose to resupply your special kits. The benefit this system has over the old Project Reality system is that ammo is not accidentally taken or given to the wrong unit and you can specify what you need rather than PR's (random method?) so now you/squad lead could choose who had what and if needed be you could resupply based on your situation, e.g. destroying armour, assaulting compound, etc.

*Edit* I did try making a concept image but it looked horrible so I scrapped it but if anyone is good with that kind of stuff, the idea I had in mind was just the same UI as the build menu/ammo resupply. If anyone ever played Left 4 Dead the idea I had in my head for the ammo box itself was like that.

Edited by Khaos

I'm not in favor of having a magic ammo box that is carried by a specific role that could dole out any ammo type. I don't know if this is in the plan, but I'd rather in the new loadout system if besides being able to slightly configure your loadout, less ammo, more nades for example, you could carry extra rounds for the mg/LAT/etc. Maybe that could be restricted to riflemen? I think anyone should be able to share the same calibers, via a limited number of mags. 

I'm hoping we'll see ammo resupply tied to vehicles as well, which could be limited by the size or capacity of the vehicle as well. 

5 minutes ago, LugNut said:

I'm hoping we'll see ammo resupply tied to vehicles as well, which could be limited by the size or capacity of the vehicle as well. 

Yeah that sounds like a better alternative especially on bigger map to allow a squad to be more lethal without the use of a FOB. 

Sounds like a lot of extra programming to burden the devs with especially since everything I've heard thus far leads me to believe the finished game will have a completely different logistics paradigm anyway. In the meantime a remedial solution would be to return FOB's to their previous regenerative status maybe.

7 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Sounds like a lot of extra programming to burden the devs with especially since everything I've heard thus far leads me to believe the finished game will have a completely different logistics paradigm anyway. In the meantime a remedial solution would be to return FOB's to their previous regenerative status maybe.

Stop teasing me man, can't bring that up like that. All jokes aside I do hope passive regen fobs make a return! 

the magic ammo box i didnt like about PR.

vehicle resupply crates would be awesome, and maybe a assist squad automatic weapon gunner. ( carrying extra ammo for the machine gunner) this class will most likely be FAR more important in post scriptum but i'd like to see it in squad too. however far more important things that need to happen now. ( like a damn spotter class man, we need a god damn JFO class. to act as 2nd in command in a squad when split up or just to take of some of the burden of marking from squad leaders, i think in pr this class was called recon observer or somethin) 

2 hours ago, Gerardusnl0 said:

the magic ammo box i didnt like about PR.

maybe a assist squad automatic weapon gunner.

You could argue the magic ammo box is just a normal ammo bag carried by a soldier without specifying what was in it. For example someone could be an assistant rifleman in-game and as soon as they are paired with an AR they are made an assistant autorifleman as if they were already carrying ammo boxes for an AR (rather than being magic belts.)

The way to fix that I guess would then mean a dedicated assistant role like you said but it seems unnecessary and would probably be overwhelming to new players or old. It all depends on if you think the FOB resupply boxes are magic ammo too though.

23 minutes ago, Khaos said:

You could argue the magic ammo box is just a normal ammo bag carried by a soldier without specifying what was in it.  Core Inventory

9 hours ago, samwiseOrigin said:

Hmmm, going to investigate Core Inventory more then, fair enough if it is. But I didn't realise Core Inventory upgrade was going to do this kind of stuff.

14 minutes ago, Khaos said:

Hmmm, going to investigate Core Inventory more then, fair enough if it is. But I didn't realise Core Inventory upgrade was going to do this kind of stuff.

Unless you hear it directly from a dev, nothing is confirmed. The core inventory update may well include such functionality or it may do nothing of the sort :) 

You know what Rifleman should get? Ladders! It would be like the ropes in PR, making Rifleman class into a really offensive role. Enemies building walls around a yard? No problem, build ladders! On Narve imagine jumping onto the third floor balcony of a building and attack the defenders from above, how interesting would that be!

1 hour ago, Noobgamer said:

You know what Rifleman should get? Ladders! It would be like the ropes in PR, making Rifleman class into a really offensive role. Enemies building walls around a yard? No problem, build ladders! On Narve imagine jumping onto the third floor balcony of a building and attack the defenders from above, how interesting would that be!

Ladder is deployable obj granted to only SL and #falldamage

45 minutes ago, samwiseOrigin said:

Ladder is deployable obj granted to only SL and #falldamage

And it costs construction points to make, which limits its offensive potential. Roping in PR helps to creat entry point, and Squad needs something like that considering its ability to build barrels and walls to completely barricade a building or yard.

2 hours ago, Noobgamer said:

And it costs construction points to make, which limits its offensive potential. Roping in PR helps to creat entry point, and Squad needs something like that considering its ability to build barrels and walls to completely barricade a building or yard.

Well from POV from offensive point sandbags did jobs well enough.

Also Barricating and honker down for a long period of time is no stragedy in need of IMO

On 28/11/2017 at 2:11 PM, Khaos said:

The ammo box would have a set number of resources and inside you would have an option to choose between each munition of a squad and each press would give you one. So inside you could take.

And behold it's coming to the game! I don't know if this post was seen but either way it's coming so huzzah!

I totally understand in PR; when you threw those magic ammo boxes on the TOWS or AA emplacements but as well as on the front lines for members of your Squad. 

In Squad I do love the whole Logistic system with Ammo and Construction supplies. I feel like the 'assistant rifleman' class would just supply the Light Anti-Tank class. The game is a bit more fast paced which could make that class irrelevant, or more of a nuisance for Armored units. I much prefer the Logistic system of Squad. 

Just my two sense B|

On 2/10/2019 at 12:19 PM, Khaos said:

And behold it's coming to the game! I don't know if this post was seen but either way it's coming so huzzah!

Yessir!!

Granular Rearms are coming and they are glorious :)

We had a minor bug that one of our junior programmers working on this week with the granular rearming: the ammo bags were having problems with displaying their proper ammo point value in the granular rearm UI, as they either showed 1/1 if they had a tiny bit of ammo in them or 0/0 if you didn't have any one of them, and adding the ability to see exact ammo state took a bit of rejigging but if all goes well in testing it should be fully supported in that UI, we will probably limit the granularity of reloading ammo bag to 20 or 25 point intervals, just to avoid having to click alot when reloading them individually.

And fear not for those that just want all the ammo, there is still a quick and easy "Rearm All "button.