oTec

Squad lead

In my last 12 hours of gametime (out of a 40hr total), i've been squad leading.

I'm still fairly new to the game, but with the recent sales, the large influx of new players always forces me into this position.

Evry game i join, whenever i join a squad, i ask the lead what class he needs/what our obj is.

8/10 times, they ask who wants to be squad leader since they don't want it or got promoted when the original leader left.

After a while i started saying no to leading, but this only seems to make matters worse.

Squad leaders who forget to place rallies, don't understand where to place them, can't build good FOB's etc.

So now i'm leading again, even though i'm not much of a fireteam leader. I can communicate, place rallies in good places and build fob's, but in direct combat i simply lack the experience to coordinate more then myself.

I don't know if i should continue to play squad leader or just leave it.

In the last 10 games, never won a round but one.

Only time i won, i was alone in my squad

Edited by oTec

I had the same problem when I first got the game. When you are a new squad lead one of the easiest and the most important is to sit on the defense cap. From there you can coordinate with other SLs and support them through spawns, mortars, and repair and rearm stations. Plus it’s fairly easy to place members of the squad at chokepoints and it will teach you an idea of  organizing squad members. Good luck!

and don’t be worried about being shit everybody’s starts that way and it sounds like you are already trying to understand coordination in the squad so you sound good to me. Keep picking up squad lead you’ll get better it just takes practice.

Edited by CorsairAc3

There's no perfect time to learn SL'ing more are you ready to take on the hardest role in the game.  I know some awesome FPS players that truly suck at SL and SL's that suck at being an FPS player.  

• As squad lead you have a mic and can/want to communicate 
  • Want to co ordinate more than just want be a fps'er 
  • Look at the map and see a tactical battleground with flags/objectives to win
  • Want to take on the influence the whole battle. 
  • Prepared to take the good/bad things that a round will sling at you.

If you can tick off these things then go for it. Try not to take things too personally, and enjoy the game.  The more effort you put into a squad your be amazed the amount of teamwork your get back. 

43 minutes ago, Smee said:

There's no perfect time to learn SL'ing more are you ready to take on the hardest role in the game.  I know some awesome FPS players that truly suck at SL and SL's that suck at being an FPS player.  

If you can tick off these things then go for it. Try not to take things too personally, and enjoy the game.  The more effort you put into a squad your be amazed the amount of teamwork your get back. 

Or the more effort you put into it the more you rage. Squad Leading is like playing the lottery. It can be an awesome experience if the gods shine favorably upon you, or you can get the most retarded players of all time and make you rage harder than a liberal when Trump got elected. 

3 hours ago, CorsairAc3 said:

I had the same problem when I first got the game. When you are a new squad lead one of the easiest and the most important is to sit on the defense cap. From there you can coordinate with other SLs and support them through spawns, mortars, and repair and rearm stations. Plus it’s fairly easy to place members of the squad at chokepoints and it will teach you an idea of  organizing squad members. Good luck!

and don’t be worried about being shit everybody’s starts that way and it sounds like you are already trying to understand coordination in the squad so you sound good to me. Keep picking up squad lead you’ll get better it just takes practice.

Last match was invasion and we won. Build up the first hab with my squad and a mortar later wich i operated with spotting from another squad. Good fun.

2 hours ago, Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX said:

You know what they say lads.  "Practice makes Perfect" and well done for stepping up to the challenge. 

It's a hard job but somebody's gotta do it.... :D

I'd like a few matches just as a rifleman too from time to time.

2 hours ago, Smee said:

Sometimes people do complain, but i don't take it personally. If my SL is doing a piss poor job, i'm annoyed too but i don't voice it over comms.

1 hour ago, Robin Sage said:

Or the more effort you put into it the more you rage. Squad Leading is like playing the lottery. It can be an awesome experience if the gods shine favorably upon you, or you can get the most retarded players of all time and make you rage harder than a liberal when Trump got elected. 

In my last game, there was one guy wich i found quite weird. (Possibly the language barrier). Turned out to be the arab version of rambo, racking up 30 kills.

On 11/25/2017 at 4:38 PM, oTec said:

In my last 12 hours of gametime (out of a 40hr total), i've been squad leading.

I'm still fairly new to the game, but with the recent sales, the large influx of new players always forces me into this position.

Evry game i join, whenever i join a squad, i ask the lead what class he needs/what our obj is.

8/10 times, they ask who wants to be squad leader since they don't want it or got promoted when the original leader left.

After a while i started saying no to leading, but this only seems to make matters worse.

Squad leaders who forget to place rallies, don't understand where to place them, can't build good FOB's etc.

So now i'm leading again, even though i'm not much of a fireteam leader. I can communicate, place rallies in good places and build fob's, but in direct combat i simply lack the experience to coordinate more then myself.

I don't know if i should continue to play squad leader or just leave it.

In the last 10 games, never won a round but one.

Only time i won, i was alone in my squad

See m8...

from around my 2 or 3 hundredth hour I did barely nothing else than SL anymore... it is a freaking hard job but in my opinion you need around 50-100 hours of SL time to get it to an effective and satisfying stage. For your self and the squad-members.

Just give it some more (-lol- perhaps a lot more) time and patience.

For me it gave a big boost in getting a better grip on the SL-Role from that point of time I started to play with the same ppls in my squad for a lot of games.

Use your steam to build your own little "squad-community" of "steam-friends" to meet regularly in the game and the same squad.

We started as such a  community and ended up in a clan. Everybody knows each other better, ervery day we play. That gives me more relaxation within fulfilling my role as squad-leader which helps me in learning more and more and be more focused on the role and all its abilities.

But of course these are the optimum circumstances you can have as a squadlead.

Just be persistent and have patience, most of all with yourself.    

On 11/26/2017 at 12:38 AM, oTec said:

I can communicate, place rallies in good places and build fob's, but in direct combat i simply lack the experience to coordinate more then myself.

I have several suggestions for you as this seems to be your main point of contention:

• Lock your squad at 6 players (you and 5 members) as it is much easier to corral 5 people than 8, even though the numbers don't seem that different. The difficulty is not linear, IMO.
  • Once the shooting starts, leave the combat to your squad, go hide near the rally point (to reset it when spawns get low) and use your map to coordinate your squad members (setting attack markers, giving commands by name or generalized commands like "move to the south of the flag")
  • Play some Starcraft 2 to brush up on your simultaneous micro & macro skills. Being able to manage your resources, unit production and multi-front battles at the same time will make "combat squad leading" feel easy :) 

I've encountered this issue on almost every round I've played. Frequently, there will be several squads that are full, with nobody making a new one. Even if I do find a squad to join, half the time it seems like the whole squad is new, including the leader, who only made the squad out of necessity and not because he wanted to lead it.

My goal is to try leading a squad eventually, but I feel like I'm not yet ready because I'm not familiar enough with the game itself. If I was a squad leader and had to ask how to do the basic duties of my jobs, like placing a FOB, I'm pretty sure I'd get raged at. I just want to get more experience with the game before stepping up to squad lead, but it's hard to do that when half the squads I join are as unfamiliar with the game as I am.

31 minutes ago, YankeeSamurai said:

My goal is to try leading a squad eventually, but I feel like I'm not yet ready because I'm not familiar enough with the game itself. If I was a squad leader and had to ask how to do the basic duties of my jobs, like placing a FOB, I'm pretty sure I'd get raged at. I just want to get more experience with the game before stepping up to squad lead, but it's hard to do that when half the squads I join are as unfamiliar with the game as I am.

You can download and install Project Reality for free. The squad leaders there will almost always be long time players (years) and all the skills are almost 1:1 transferable. Learn from them and apply those lessons to Squad :) 

Just now, Psyrus said:

You can download and install Project Reality for free. The squad leaders there will almost always be long time players (years) and all the skills are almost 1:1 transferable. Learn from them and apply those lessons to Squad :) 

I've actually been highly considering going back to PR until Squad is in a more complete state. Is the community still active?

13 minutes ago, YankeeSamurai said:

I've actually been highly considering going back to PR until Squad is in a more complete state. Is the community still active?

Mostly dead (compared to squad or to PR's 0.6-1.0 popular times) but there are enough to fill a few servers daily. 

XQKSP4zfRQyDzIikk1EUfg.png

I believe weekends are a bit better (and this screenshot is taken at the daily lull) 

18 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

Mostly dead (compared to squad or to PR's 0.6-1.0 popular times) but there are enough to fill a few servers daily. 

XQKSP4zfRQyDzIikk1EUfg.png

I believe weekends are a bit better (and this screenshot is taken at the daily lull) 

Holy shit, HOG's still around. I used to play on their 24/7 Muttrah server all the time.

The SL kit is the APEX of the Squad experience. A Squad lead decides how much(or how little) fun your squad is going to have. Find a good SL and shadow him and learn his tricks and trades. Its very difficult to pick it up right away as a newbie as anyone can be an SL but takes time to master. With the SL kit, people will have an expectation of you that you know the game very well and will be looking to you for guidance and coordination.

A good SL doesn't try to get kills but sets his squad up to get capture objectives and dominate the scoreboard. This includes rally points, constantly marking enemy contacts even when your getting shot at, setting up FOBs. You must talk to your squad, get on to them and ask them what they are doing if they are more than 100m from the squad. You MUST STICK TOGETHER! If your squad gets too spread out and separated, you will always lose cohesion and your squad members will be less inclined to follow you.

Rally, FoB, enemy marker are easy for any SL. 

A real good SL (so, not me), put different friendly marker constantly for any kit in squad. 

Few days ago a SL (don t remember name and clan) guided us towards the cap  splitting squad in 2 teams and when we got,  he marked zone  for all squad players and we all had a specific angle to cover. He was on a nearby hill looking at binoculars. Calling enemy movement and engage. Was very fun.

2 hours ago, Tmac said:

Rally, FoB, enemy marker are easy for any SL. 

A real good SL (so, not me), put different friendly marker constantly for any kit in squad. 

Few days ago a SL (don t remember name and clan) guided us towards the cap  splitting squad in 2 teams and when we got,  he marked zone  for all squad players and we all had a specific angle to cover. He was on a nearby hill looking at binoculars. Calling enemy movement and engage. Was very fun.

I think we were in the same squad at that time or maybe the we experienced the same SL. Because i had someone doing that exact same thing defending a cap that was ours while another squad was trying to cap a new one.

Squad leading in my experience can be truly rewarding and had been some of the most fun I've had while gaming in general. The only way you can really get better is with practice and it will take time. I have around 400 hours and I'd still say I have some things to learn, but if you dedicate yourself and learn from your mistakes, you'll get better I guarantee.

One word of advice though, is don't blame yourself for absolutely everything that goes wrong. Even the best of SLs get out maneuvered and out numbered at times. With the addition of the occasional bonehead Squad mates, it's very likely things can go very wrong despite your best efforts. I used to get seriously stressed out when things took a turn for the worse, but sometimes you just can't help it, and once I figured that out, I'd say I improved monumentally.

Just remember to communicate, coordinate and most importantly, have fun. Good luck!

Edited by jellyswim

Trial by fire. 

Time is of the essence, every second counts!

This is what I do, take it or leave it your call:

• Ask for 2 medics + LAT.
  • Tell everyone in the squad to break comms and hold their spawn to allow you enough time to figure out with the other SL's who's doing what. 
  • Find the cap of utter most importance and make sure your squad + another squad (2 full squads = 18 people) to fight for that objective.
  • Make sure a third squad will be doing the back-caps. Confirm this verbally in SL chat for others to hear. 
  • Assume the responsibility of FOB/HAB placement on the chosen cap. What I do is drive the logistical truck myself with the 2 medics+LAT and put the rest of the squad in the second vehicle be it a BTR, Stryker, Humvee etc...
  • Logi crew is gonna help me build shovels up (the 2 medics + LAT), and the second vehicle will pull security guns up. This is it for micro-managing don't break your head any more than you need to. Poop a rally as soon as you leave the logi to place the FOB.
  • At the objective (or near it) -> Logi crew places the FOB/HAB getting it activated. Secondary vehicle dismounting pulling security. 

--- This is it --- This way you set the pace from the beginning---You may also choose to fight for a defensive cap that will slow down ticket bleed but give your team a chance---

The best squad leads communicate, communicate and communicate. Even if you're making plans that don't work out, keeping everyone in the loop will keep your squadmates on board and with you. As was mentioned earlier, when things start to get really chaotic and you feel it slipping out of your control, it can be best to stop being in the fight and only play a leadership role. Sit back where it's safe and focus on providing support to your squadmates and the other SL's. Keep your rally refreshed and in a good spot. Grab a vehicle and another teammate and move the rally to a new place ahead of when you need to, switch your squad to defending since that will make it easier to keep everyone together. I've led a few squads where all we did was to get fobs up and in the right place at the right time so the other squads always had good spawnpoints. You don't always have to be the squad rushing into the cap. 

I got to this weird point where a little while after I first started squad leading, no one would squad lead, so I did. I got tired of doing it but pretty soon my mentally changed from, "I don't really want to do this, but no one else will" to, "I actually like squad leading"

now I basically squad lead 90 percent of the time and I love it (for the most part). I still get the frustration of playing with other squad leads that, per my opinion, are terrible and don't know what they're doing, but that's the love hate of the game

On 11/26/2017 at 7:42 PM, Psyrus said:

I have several suggestions for you as this seems to be your main point of contention:

• Lock your squad at 6 players (you and 5 members) as it is much easier to corral 5 people than 8, even though the numbers don't seem that different. The difficulty is not linear, IMO.
  • Once the shooting starts, leave the combat to your squad, go hide near the rally point (to reset it when spawns get low) and use your map to coordinate your squad members (setting attack markers, giving commands by name or generalized commands like "move to the south of the flag")
  • Play some Starcraft 2 to brush up on your simultaneous micro & macro skills. Being able to manage your resources, unit production and multi-front battles at the same time will make "combat squad leading" feel easy :) 

A very good suggestion. It's hard and takes time to really be able to get into a firefight and still be able to manage your squad. Sometimes - hell a lot of times it's easier to just take a step back from that, and just manage the squad. it sucks when you just want to go shoot some guys, but if you have crap SLs, sometimes you just need to step up and suck it up.

On 11/29/2017 at 5:32 PM, CptDirty said:

Trial by fire. 

Time is of the essence, every second counts!

This is what I do, take it or leave it your call:

• Ask for 2 medics + LAT.
  • Tell everyone in the squad to break comms and hold their spawn to allow you enough time to figure out with the other SL's who's doing what. 
  • Find the cap of utter most importance and make sure your squad + another squad (2 full squads = 18 people) to fight for that objective.
  • Make sure a third squad will be doing the back-caps. Confirm this verbally in SL chat for others to hear. 
  • Assume the responsibility of FOB/HAB placement on the chosen cap. What I do is drive the logistical truck myself with the 2 medics+LAT and put the rest of the squad in the second vehicle be it a BTR, Stryker, Humvee etc...
  • Logi crew is gonna help me build shovels up (the 2 medics + LAT), and the second vehicle will pull security guns up. This is it for micro-managing don't break your head any more than you need to. Poop a rally as soon as you leave the logi to place the FOB.
  • At the objective (or near it) -> Logi crew places the FOB/HAB getting it activated. Secondary vehicle dismounting pulling security. 

--- This is it --- This way you set the pace from the beginning---You may also choose to fight for a defensive cap that will slow down ticket bleed but give your team a chance---

THIS!

This is the best advice you can give to any squad leader. This is exactly the formula I follow word for word and you sir understand how to squad lead :). Especially the part about verbally confirming the back cap and always manually driving the logi truck as SL at the start of the round. 

As SL's we should never complain about other squads not doing logi runs or defending cap points. When an opportunity presents itself, always volunteer to take the initiative to keep the team in the fight.(sometimes this means i will even do a logi run myself if every single person in my squad refuses to do so. This will make them do it usually if it means no rallies.) Always go back to a defense point if nobody seems to be defending it or taking initiative. Don't wait or assume other squads will do it unless communicated!

All the info in this thread is excellent advice. All new SL's need to read this thread. As an experienced SL with over 300+ hrs of play as SL kit, I must say i agree with a lot. 

37 minutes ago, Nossa said:

As SL's we should never complain about other squads not doing logi runs or defending cap points. When an opportunity presents itself, always volunteer to take the initiative to keep the team in the fight.(sometimes this means i will even do a logi run myself if every single person in my squad refuses to do so. This will make them do it usually if it means no rallies.) Always go back to a defense point if nobody seems to be defending it or taking initiative. Don't wait or assume other squads will do it unless communicated!

You get it man you get it! It's all about setting the team for success!