Jump to content
Hay Lobos

Players Should Award Each Other Medals For Service

Recommended Posts

After a game, it would be fun to be able to award 'medals' to squad- and team-mates, and have the count of these medals be persistent (instead of Rank/SR). We need something to do for 3 minutes anyway, and bathroom breaks are overrated.  

 

I imagine these medals being categorized by actions and service in-game: "Excellent driver", "Courageous Medic", "Dedicated Supply Officer", "Outstanding Leadership", "Close Combat Specialist".

 

During map load, you could choose to nominate your squadmates for these, and if they got a number of votes, they are awarded a medal Icon which would be visible in the Roles screen as a hover-over or sub-menu. I wouldn't care for any in-game effect, but knowing that your SL has a good number of Leadership pins, or picking the player with the most 'Excellent Driver' medals to take the 30mm, would be cool. 

 

If I'm SL, I'm much more likely to accept that a Marksman with some 'Marksmanship' or 'Forward Observer' medals is going to be helpful rather than a Lone Wolf Snipah. And I think that since there is deliberately reduced feedback from the software (as opposed to the players) about the impact that we are having on the match as individuals, it would be cool to get recognized by your mates after the fact: "Yeah, I *did* do pretty well as Medic! Maybe I'll play more as this class!"

 

People really respond to recognition and praise. I think that being able to give kudos to good play would help the community stay tight and would encourage teamwork and cooperation. If you're a lowly Rifleman, and you get an award from your squad/SL that recognizes you as the person who always regrouped so SL could drop a rally, or the player who made 4 logistics runs, or just stayed close and maneuvered well, that is a big incentive to continue to play, and to play as a teammate.

 

At 175+ hours, I'm invested in this game because I think that it has the potential to be better than the software. I think that the players are self-selecting because we want to create a certain kind of experience, and that is based on working/playing *with* other people in concert. Let's have a way to show each other that we appreciate their contribution, and that even the less-glamorous roles are really important.

 

Thanks for reading this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I Think this idea can be easily biased and abused, but it is a great idea. Since the first day of Pre-Alpha, I was and still am all for some sort of reward system. Not "Experience Points" and although I was a supporter of ranks , i am a no ranking system at this point.

 

I understand most players are mature players and could careless of any sort of progression or statistic system, but we also have to engage in future players that won't like how there is nothing to their name after so many rounds or hours as most games are. Some sort of hook to keep players coming back for more round after round. Saying that, if you think that adding a progression system would make squad like any other FPS grind fest, I don't know any game that is sole realism out at the moment. I do believe that having some sort of public profile service record of some sort recording Squad Leader Round Wins, Medic Revives, Distance Walked, Objective captures, etc would give many players some self-gratification to work that much harder. Everyone wants to be the best in what they do, any having something public such as those stats will only benefit teamwork and the overall gameplay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This would be a good addition at the end of the match to have a voting system for 1 or 2 awards such as:

 

  • Best Squad
  • MVP

Any more awards will significantly prolong the debrief and that's not good. Just keep it short and sweet. Also make the voting appear right after the match ends as a prompt where voting can either be done or skipped in order to get to the scoreboard. Those awards don't count towards any ribbon rack or anything like that and simply disappear at the start of the next match. Kinda like what BF2 did with:

 

7ywPoMc.jpg6TVCqx5.jpgrYhazXz.jpg

Third Place         Second Place     First Place

 

Edit: y'all better stop editing my posts...

Edited by CptDirty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hay Lobos said:

After a game, it would be fun to be able to award 'medals' to squad- and team-mates, and have the count of these medals be persistent (instead of Rank/SR). We need something to do for 3 minutes anyway, and bathroom breaks are overrated.  

 

I imagine these medals being categorized by actions and service in-game: "Excellent driver", "Courageous Medic", "Dedicated Supply Officer", "Outstanding Leadership", "Close Combat Specialist".

 

During map load, you could choose to nominate your squadmates for these, and if they got a number of votes, they are awarded a medal Icon which would be visible in the Roles screen as a hover-over or sub-menu. I wouldn't care for any in-game effect, but knowing that your SL has a good number of Leadership pins, or picking the player with the most 'Excellent Driver' medals to take the 30mm, would be cool. 

 

If I'm SL, I'm much more likely to accept that a Marksman with some 'Marksmanship' or 'Forward Observer' medals is going to be helpful rather than a Lone Wolf Snipah. And I think that since there is deliberately reduced feedback from the software (as opposed to the players) about the impact that we are having on the match as individuals, it would be cool to get recognized by your mates after the fact: "Yeah, I *did* do pretty well as Medic! Maybe I'll play more as this class!"

 

People really respond to recognition and praise. I think that being able to give kudos to good play would help the community stay tight and would encourage teamwork and cooperation. If you're a lowly Rifleman, and you get an award from your squad/SL that recognizes you as the person who always regrouped so SL could drop a rally, or the player who made 4 logistics runs, or just stayed close and maneuvered well, that is a big incentive to continue to play, and to play as a teammate.

 

At 175+ hours, I'm invested in this game because I think that it has the potential to be better than the software. I think that the players are self-selecting because we want to create a certain kind of experience, and that is based on working/playing *with* other people in concert. Let's have a way to show each other that we appreciate their contribution, and that even the less-glamorous roles are really important.

 

Thanks for reading this.

 

For the sake of equality across the board as I understand it the narrative here has always been there will never be medals, ranks, buttons, pins, ribbons, uniforms, gold stars, special weapon skins of any kind or any other thing that remotely makes a particular player unique or special. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hay Lobos said:

After a game, it would be fun to be able to award 'medals' to squad- and team-mates, and have the count of these medals be persistent (instead of Rank/SR). We need something to do for 3 minutes anyway, and bathroom breaks are overrated.  

 

I imagine these medals being categorized by actions and service in-game: "Excellent driver", "Courageous Medic", "Dedicated Supply Officer", "Outstanding Leadership", "Close Combat Specialist".

 

During map load, you could choose to nominate your squadmates for these, and if they got a number of votes, they are awarded a medal Icon which would be visible in the Roles screen as a hover-over or sub-menu. I wouldn't care for any in-game effect, but knowing that your SL has a good number of Leadership pins, or picking the player with the most 'Excellent Driver' medals to take the 30mm, would be cool. 

 

If I'm SL, I'm much more likely to accept that a Marksman with some 'Marksmanship' or 'Forward Observer' medals is going to be helpful rather than a Lone Wolf Snipah. And I think that since there is deliberately reduced feedback from the software (as opposed to the players) about the impact that we are having on the match as individuals, it would be cool to get recognized by your mates after the fact: "Yeah, I *did* do pretty well as Medic! Maybe I'll play more as this class!"

 

People really respond to recognition and praise. I think that being able to give kudos to good play would help the community stay tight and would encourage teamwork and cooperation. If you're a lowly Rifleman, and you get an award from your squad/SL that recognizes you as the person who always regrouped so SL could drop a rally, or the player who made 4 logistics runs, or just stayed close and maneuvered well, that is a big incentive to continue to play, and to play as a teammate.

 

At 175+ hours, I'm invested in this game because I think that it has the potential to be better than the software. I think that the players are self-selecting because we want to create a certain kind of experience, and that is based on working/playing *with* other people in concert. Let's have a way to show each other that we appreciate their contribution, and that even the less-glamorous roles are really important.

 

Thanks for reading this.

 

ha, no way forget that medal shit!!! I know the role each player can play in my squad!! join a clan its how squad should be played, I couldn't play any other way 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ZXD_Lee said:

ha, no way forget that medal shit!!! I know the role each player can play in my squad!! join a clan its how squad should be played, I couldn't play any other way 

100 % agree on that one brother!

See you on the BF! Greetings to Adel :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not strictly to your topic, but close because it amounts to the same thing >

 

and this >

On 24/11/2017 at 6:17 AM, 75th_Tommy_12 said:

but we also have to engage in future players that won't like how there is nothing to their name after so many rounds or hours as most games are. Some sort of hook to keep players coming back for more round after ro

No - Why should we have to? What, just coz everyone else(other games) does, we should too?! great sheeple mentality, that. future players can get used to it or go home

 

why do we have to continually perpetuate and reinforce the feeble mentality of requiring what amounts to pointless and narcissistic rewards for being normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LaughingJack said:

not strictly to your topic, but close because it amounts to the same thing >

 

and this >

No - Why should we have to? What, just coz everyone else(other games) does, we should too?! great sheeple mentality, that. future players can get used to it or go home

 

why do we have to continually perpetuate and reinforce the feeble mentality of requiring what amounts to pointless and narcissistic rewards for being normal.

Yer sure!... the rewardsystem is the strongest tool to hook somebody on a certain behaviour...

The reward-system in our brain is the strongest trigger for motivation, that exists.

 

But... is winning, having a good time, spend time with friends and have fun, suspension of the battle-feeling not already enough reward?

 

What comes after the reward? the reward for the reward... not to forget about the reward for the most rewarded of the super-reward-group?

I mean, i have seen so much really useless "Rank & reward" systems in the last 20 years of playing these kind of games...

 

Should we build a statue for the player of the day in every capital of the world, where Squad-gamers can go to and admire and worship the idol of their god-like playing game-buddy?

 

I will not support any reward-systems at any time in this game!

 

 

Edited by A.Hofer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know I'm just going to point out some major hypocrisy...

 

Ranks & stats were no go by the devs many times on the forums I'm not going to look that up but it's there. Then what the hell is this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/offworldindustries/squad

AIAjQOv.png

 

Now, this suggestion is a temporary award system by the players for the players to recognize a fellow team mate for their efforts and accomplishments during a match. An award bestowed on a fellow team mate will only remain on screen for the duration of the debrief and will instantly disappear into the abyss as soon as the new match starts. My question to the people who are against this is in what ways does a debrief award that resets every round go against teamwork, cooperation and realism?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CptDirty said:

My question to the people who are against this is in what ways does a debrief award that resets every round go against teamwork, cooperation and realism?

 

 

16 minutes ago, XRobinson said:

Maybe give yourself an award?  Is this over the top?

Handys-1.png

lol! maybe answer the question, or are you incapable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/11/2017 at 7:04 AM, CptDirty said:

You know I'm just going to point out some major hypocrisy...

Ranks & stats were no go by the devs many times on the forums I'm not going to look that up but it's there. Then what the hell is this:

no mention of Ranking in that little screenie ;)

hardly hypocracy, let alone 'major', and i have no issue whatsoever with tracked persistant stats as they do not constitute "rewards", certainly not within the context of this thread - due mainly to the fact that they were never supposed to be seen in-game, except for the end of round scoreboard.

 

On 28/11/2017 at 7:04 AM, CptDirty said:

Now, this suggestion is a temporary award system by the players for the players to recognize a fellow team mate for their efforts and accomplishments  ...  My question to the people who are against this is in what ways does a debrief award that resets every round go against teamwork, cooperation and realism?

i don't think it goes against Teamwork, Cooperation or Realism, in any way - has anyone actually said that?

i just don't see why i, or anyone, should have to waste time and energy (ed: coz is optional) handing out what amounts to participation ribbons to people, just to make them feel good about themselves - are we all still in primary school, or what?

ie: i couldn't be arsed - just bring on the next round!

Edited by LaughingJack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My clan uses TeamSpeak icons to pin ribbons and medals on clan members. They are earned by gameplay or doing things for the clan.

 

When I ran a Battlefield clan we did the same thing. It helped that Battlefield gave players awards at the end of the round, as we could screenshot and then present evidence that we earned a particular clan award. The clan awards are what are important to us. The system is simple: when it comes to a clan vs clan battle, the guys that will be sitting on the bench are those with less ribbon and medal icons in the TeamSpeak. Who are our best players? Who contribute most to the clan? We can easily see that by how much "fruit salad" (colorful ribbons) a clan member has in the TeamSpeak.

 

I think Squad would benefit from a more advanced scoreboard, and having some kind of award system, as it gives players something to aim for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@LaughingJack I understand the no ranks and I agree with that. I don't think SQUAD should have it but what SQUAD should have is what it promised and that is Persistent Statistics & Stat Tracking. That will bring a whole different way of viewing players and authenticity to a role chosen such as SL with the stats to back themselves up with. If it was promised then it should be delivered whether some people like that or not. 

 

As far as it goes for the reward system per session, I honestly don't see it as wasting time. Players can either join in on the voting during debrief or simply skip over it with 1 click. I don't think it's a deal breaker to put a "1 click skip voting option" right after an hour long match for those who don't want to vote. It's all in the way it's implemented. But the idea in itself of a reward system at a debrief to recognize the MVP's and good SL's is actually another way of bringing people together. And the best part is that the suggestion of this thread is that of a "per-session" reward system that goes away as soon as a new round starts so it doesn't infringe on everyone else's egos who hate this idea for some childish reason. 

 

All in all it's not a bad idea and it should be explored. And for those who hate this....well...close your eyes on debrief until the new match starts. There! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am actually for ranks; that just show time played and what kits used and maybe an estimated skill level for that particular kit used.  Like Pro, Expert, intermediate, novice or something similar.  Same for being a commander or SL role.  For awards:  perhaps a statistic that keeps track of how many recommendations or commendations received by  squad mates, squad leaders, commander and why it was given.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my previous comments are still valid as they stand.

 

On 29/11/2017 at 1:42 AM, CptDirty said:

I understand the no ranks and I agree with that. ...

... Persistent Statistics & Stat Tracking. That will bring a whole different way of viewing players and authenticity to a role chosen such as SL with the stats to back themselves up with. 

you mentioned Ranks, no-one else. other than that i absolutely agree.

you also brought up the " against teamwork, cooperation and realism " thing from out of nowhere.

On 29/11/2017 at 1:42 AM, CptDirty said:

so it doesn't infringe on everyone else's egos who hate this idea for some childish reason. 

steady on wth the passive-agressive, mate.

it would not infringe on my ego because i don't "hate" this idea, certainly not for some "childish" reason, as you infer.

It would be a waste of time because you suggested it be optional - what's the point if it disappears? - the whole basis of this thread: " it would be fun to be able to award 'medals' to squad- and team-mates, and have the count of these medals be persistent (instead of Rank/SR) " relies on a persistant model.

 

i just find it to be yet another ego-stroking exercise, nothing more - that's just my opinion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2017 at 7:46 PM, Hay Lobos said:

If I'm SL, I'm much more likely to accept that a Marksman with some 'Marksmanship' or 'Forward Observer' medals is going to be helpful rather than a Lone Wolf Snipah. And I think that since there is deliberately reduced feedback from the software (as opposed to the players) about the impact that we are having on the match as individuals, it would be cool to get recognized by your mates after the fact: "Yeah, I *did* do pretty well as Medic! Maybe I'll play more as this class!"


I thinking fixing the marksman role is going to go longer ways than having a medal award for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

It would be a waste of time because you suggested it be optional - what's the point if it disappears?

The point simply would be to recognize other's good work. If another squad did some major work that paved the way for the entire team to win (rushing, defending etc...) then I would go out of my way to vote for them. It's not any different than leaving a good comment of a product on Amazon. As far as it goes for the reward if it disappears, the only thing that matters is during debrief as everyone is stuck on the scoreboard anyway waiting for next match to start. Will a little ribbon/medal next to a player/squad really bother you that much? 

 

Look we can dance around this all day long. My final stance on this is that I think the suggestion has merit and deserves a look into by the devs when they decide to allocate time for persistent stat tracking. Whether it's implemented or not is not a deal breaker for me. I understand there's limited resources and more important things to work on. I will add that it can be a great addition or a complete flop all depending on the way it's implemented.

 

13 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

steady on wth the passive-agressive, mate.

it would not infringe on my ego because i don't "hate" this idea, certainly not for some "childish" reason, as you infer.

Mate....perhaps you read it the wrong way:

On 11/28/2017 at 9:42 AM, CptDirty said:

so it doesn't infringe on everyone else's egos

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe we can have something like a "fame" system like maple story had ? 

Imgine something like this : every 24 hours every player may give at the end of a full match one point (out of 3 that  he'll have until it resets the next day ) for a friendly player , points like "team player" , "good commander" , "good medic" , "good pilot" , "good spoter ect"....  But every player may recive only up to 5 points from another player so the system won't be abused by communities . And in that way a player may gain something like ranks for a specific class or maybe medals ? 

Edited by L0cation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@L0cation perhaps like youtube comments that only show upvotes and not downvotes. Otherwise there will be room for inaccuracies and deliberate downvotes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CptDirty said:

@L0cation perhaps like youtube comments that only show upvotes and not downvotes. Otherwise there will be room for inaccuracies and deliberate downvotes. 

yea it's just like you can ethier get it or not ... and when you think about it the fact that you would be able to only get a certain amount from each player will force players that want to gain these point to play with strangers more and play nice which will greatly benefit the community ( that would also make it that your "rank" or "medals" you have will be determind by how "good" you are as a person and a team player not only how skilled you are .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CptDirty said:

It's not any different than leaving a good comment of a product on Amazon

which i would also never waste time with .

10 hours ago, CptDirty said:

Mate....perhaps you read it the wrong way:

fair enough, maybe i did - maybe you could have written it better too.

 

apparently end-of-round GG's and some congratulatory banter on the voice channels not enough, ah well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×