FeatherSton3

Do I have to join a server to play/test workshop mods/maps, or can I do it "offline"?

1 minute ago, CageMatchKimsey said:

After downloading the mod (subscribe), start Squad and go to Training mode.  Adminchangemap to map you want.

this allows multiplayer matches/tests?

50 minutes ago, LaughingJack said:

this allows multiplayer matches/tests?

No multiplayer. You need a server licence for multiplayer. 

1 hour ago, Major Trouble said:

No multiplayer. You need a server licence for multiplayer. 

Oh really? I thought the whole point of the "custom server" list was that they didn't need licenses there and could do what they wanted...?

@Psyrus We are entering new territory now with mod introduction, you could be correct they would appear as custom servers, but I believe OWI should be able to keep some control over their game.

6 hours ago, Psyrus said:

Oh really? I thought the whole point of the "custom server" list was that they didn't need licenses there and could do what they wanted...?

This is correct from what I know, I am at my work place ATM and cant say for sure, but I am 95% certain that you only need a server license for official servers that appear in the "normal" and not "custom" server browser. (You have to agree to run them within the rules OWI sets, like no mods)

I will have a more in depth look at this as soon as I am home.

EDT:

"The system will allow the development team to issue server licenses to reliable teamwork oriented communities & clans, which will cause their servers to be shown in the primary server list in game. This license will come in the form of a key which needs to be listed in the server’s config files.

All other servers which don’t have a license key will be shown on a second custom servers menu tab. The second tab is meant to show the full list of servers, and will be the place where servers with custom rules and mods are listed."

19 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

@koschilein It would be nice if there was a list of steps for those wanting to run a custom server as a sticky somewhere.

+3   i still confuse  0_o

On 11/18/2017 at 10:53 AM, FeatherSton3 said:

Just what the title asks.Do I have to join someone else's server/buy my own, or is there some command I can use for offline testing?

https://squad.gamepedia.com/Play_a_mod_locally

You can totes play a mod locally. The tl;dr: once it's installed, change the map from within the shooting range.

On 11/21/2017 at 6:42 PM, LaughingJack said:

so is this for Multiplayer as well?

I think it's only for solo play?! otherwise if you have rented/have a server box, I don't think you would have to be in shooting range first.

On 22/11/2017 at 10:42 AM, LaughingJack said:

otherwise it would be a case of making a map/mod public, on a public server with pubbies, before knowing if it works as intended.

i was hoping that there might be some 'testing' server someplace that we could take turns in running maps/mods in multiplayer, before public release.

On 11/21/2017 at 3:42 PM, LaughingJack said:

Have you ever found another player in your firing range? =)

You can run a custom server with mods for multiplayer. Heading over to Squad Field Manual should have all the tidbits you need for a multiplayer server: https://squad.gamepedia.com/Category:Modding

5 hours ago, Gatzby said:

You can run a custom server with mods for multiplayer. Heading over to Squad Field Manual should have all the tidbits you need for a multiplayer server: https://squad.gamepedia.com/Category:Modding

do you mean "dedicated" server? i can't find any Custom Server. a dedi server that shows up in the public server list is what i'm after - so i can run a mod/map and get peeps in to find errors etc.

i'm still a little confused - please bear with me bacause that "guide" didn't really explain anything about an already-in-progress mod (that now apparently

needs to be moved ... maybe?).

i have been making stuff for my mod and all this stuff that I have created or modified lives in it's own folder tree. i have modified numerous Squad files that i am leaving where they normally live in the SDK. so i have my own folder as well as Squad folders that are seperate.

so, do i have to find all instances of all files i have modified and copy them into "my mod" folder after 'making a mod' (which really only seems to "make some folders")? and what about c++ stuff, which i can't readily access? how will i know which files i will need?

i figured the SDK would just package a mod based on the map that is open, from the existing Squad file structure and produce a packaged file that is independant of the file structure? (you know, like the olden days of .MIS .PBO etc.)

"Creating a custom map": only shows what you need for starting from scratch - not what you need to do if a map is already finished or partly so. - do we simply just copy everything from our own folder into the created one? and hope nothing is missing?

"Creating a mod": is the same. it appears to just make a few folders which we then have to populate.

@LaughingJack I'm just going to respond to the question in the first paragraph (assuming I understood it right). Only servers follow certain OWI guidelines are listed under "server browser" so no server that does a custom map can be under that browser, it would be under custom servers.  

Please correct me if I'm wrong

On 12/1/2017 at 3:32 PM, FeatherSton3 said:

@LaughingJack I'm just going to respond to the question in the first paragraph (assuming I understood it right). Only servers follow certain OWI guidelines are listed under "server browser" so no server that does a custom map can be under that browser, it would be under custom servers.  

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Cheers mate, much appreciated. I'm hoping i can 'serve' a map for testing so that anyone can join to help out :)

On 11/20/2017 at 10:46 AM, Major Trouble said:

@Psyrus We are entering new territory now with mod introduction, you could be correct they would appear as custom servers, but I believe OWI should be able to keep some control over their game.

OMFG we are back to the same bs with project reality you are no better than EA or valve if people don't like your server they can just leave simple as that you don't add modding and then yeah you need a server license for custom servers. At the end of the day you are still just a bunch of modders that cant even write proper code for lan but very jumpy on the trigger when people try to use or mod your content.