MiscOne

Arma 3 Movement System

77 posts in this topic

While we aren't going to be doing exactly it, Battlefield 4 has a fairly decent solution to this were you adjust yourself to a space (lean around corners, pop yourself up or down, etc) when you aim down sights.  That's kind of the direction we want to go... It should just work and feel natural... not be a mess of keys you have to memorize for every little scenario.  

While we aren't going to be doing exactly it, Battlefield 4 has a fairly decent solution to this were you adjust yourself to a space (lean around corners, pop yourself up or down, etc) when you aim down sights.  That's kind of the direction we want to go... It should just work and feel natural... not be a mess of keys you have to memorize for every little scenario.  

Of course, I'm sorry my post was probably longer and wordier than I hoped for it to be, just an old opinion that part of me has been itching to say for a long time lol I still have full faith in you guys, the system you mention there sounds promising :) 

Yes please, that is the best solution. Automatic stance adjustment depending or ADS and where you're looking. Like if you're crouching behind a box - you should be able to look over it, go higher when you aim over it and be in cover when you're not ADS looking away from it.

Battlefield 4's soft lock cover system is being considered, as well as free look. And MAYBE even weapon lowering.. so I think thatd be a pretty fair compromise. Especially once leaning is also improved to be more realistic, i.e. stepping out from cover slightly versus rotating your torso 45 degrees.

This is pretty close to what we will be doing, which will actually reduce the amount of keys needed to achieve practically the same goal as your player will dynamically adjust to objects without have to use a keybind system. 

One of the simplest things I can think of is making sure that the windows on buildings (for one example) are at heights that happen to correspond to the stances and the height that the player shoots at in each stance (

This won't be an issue with the system we will be putting in as your character will adjust dynamically to whatever height you are trying to access with your weapon.

Yes please, that is the best solution. Automatic stance adjustment depending or ADS and where you're looking. Like if you're crouching behind a box - you should be able to look over it, go higher when you aim over it and be in cover when you're not ADS looking away from it.

It will be very fluid, intuitive, and extremely useful, all those wall to wall poppy field fights will completely make sense once we eventually get around to implementing our "cover" system.

Why the hell this BF4 scared me off as hell...but you know, i like to have full control over my soldier and the arma system is easy to remember.

And you have the Controll over youre position as you need and want it.

The BF4 Systen as example dont allow a position where you can just peek. Its just rasing youre body and aim through.So youre immediately visible and have youre "firing" position, sure if the maps are small like now then its ok,

but if they are maps planned like PR are...then this is a bad solution.

Why the hell this BF4 scared me off as hell...but you know, i like to have full control over my soldier and the arma system is easy to remember.

And you have the Controll over youre position as you need and want it.

The BF4 Systen as example dont allow a position where you can just peek. Its just rasing youre body and aim through.So youre immediately visible and have youre "firing" position, sure if the maps are small like now then its ok,

but if they are maps planned like PR are...then this is a bad solution.

I am not sure what you are trying to say, but to me, your description if completely inaccurate to how the system works.

I am not sure what you are trying to say, but to me, your description if completely inaccurate to how the system works.

1:38 Perfect example of what i mean. You go automaticly over the wall. You cant just adjust the height,that you can peek over it.

No you switch in "combat" mode and you are fully visible. In reality you would never do this. you would just show as little as possible of you.

And thats why i was preffering the arma system.

And i have BF4 its a good game,but i though Sqaud will be more like PR2....better graphics. With improvments of old features.

That is not what happens though, the guy only shows what he has to in order to bring the barrel over the wall and still maintain sight alignment/sight picture. The animation doesn't bring your character to a complete stand, a manual adjustment system you would still end up exposing the same amount, only the BF4 system makes sure your absolutely only show what is necessary.

Our perception of it is different apparently, but the only difference I see is that the BF4 system is smoother, less clunky, more intuitive, and frees up keys.

Also, keep in mind, doing this in our system with true first person and bullets coming out of the barrel, we can make sure that only what is absolutely necessary to sight in and shoot is shown.

We are not a BF4 clone, nor are we "PR2 with better graphics", we take inspiration from everywhere to make our own game.

I can see what he's saying. I absolutely hate BF4's automated cover system with a passion.

Arma 3's system, although not perfect, still delivers freedom without forcing you into "the last position you wanted to be in when you pressed right click", and I bloody love it.

+1 to less clunky and smoother cover system, BF4 system is the way to go IMO, as long as its implemented in a propper fashion. 

I can see what he's saying. I absolutely hate BF4's automated cover system with a passion.

Arma 3's system, although not perfect, still delivers freedom without forcing you into "the last position you wanted to be in when you pressed right click", and I bloody love it.

I played it for over 400hrs and never had a bad experience with the system and we can do it better, so...just something we will be working on, sorry if it is not for you. There will be tons more in the game for you to do besides hide behind walls, so I'm sure you'll get over it eventually. ;)

I played it for over 400hrs and never had a bad experience with the system and we can do it better, so...just something we will be working on, sorry if it is not for you. There will be tons more in the game for you to do besides hide behind walls, so I'm sure you'll get over it eventually. ;)

Oh not at all bud. You guys have made a better combat game than anything before it and this weekend I had more moments of adrenaline and fear than 4 years of Arma  ;)

I'm only trying to push shared opinions when they're in a big enough number to matter, I have no doubt you boys will find the perfect sweetspot inbetween.

Only played 40 or so hours of bf4, but I can't figure out how the leaning and cover system even works. Half the time it leans me out, the other half Im staring at boxes.  Unless were talking about snapping over crouched cover, because BF4 does this very well.

ARMA's stance system is incredibly clunky to me personally, and I've been trying to brainstorm better ways to have it be keymapped. What about a key that lets you rotate your gun and body around upon pressing? So say you press mouse button 5, and you hold it while you position yourself (leaning, looking under things, over things, etc. (Could be toggled, too.)

I can't figure out how the leaning and cover system even works. Half the time it leans me out, the other half Im staring at boxes.  Unless were talking about snapping over crouched cover, because BF4 does this very well.

that's the only way BF4's cover system works. there's nothing more to it

That is not what happens though, the guy only shows what he has to in order to bring the barrel over the wall and still maintain sight alignment/sight picture. The animation doesn't bring your character to a complete stand, a manual adjustment system you would still end up exposing the same amount, only the BF4 system makes sure your absolutely only show what is necessary.

Our perception of it is different apparently, but the only difference I see is that the BF4 system is smoother, less clunky, more intuitive, and frees up keys.

Also, keep in mind, doing this in our system with true first person and bullets coming out of the barrel, we can make sure that only what is absolutely necessary to sight in and shoot is shown.

We are not a BF4 clone, nor are we "PR2 with better graphics", we take inspiration from everywhere to make our own game.

Seems simple enough for the user. But for this to work, must every low wall and window have the same hight?

That would be a bummer.

Less immersive terrain and easier to guess where nme is hiding or gonna shoot from.

Seems simple enough for the user. But for this to work, must every low wall and window have the same hight?

That would be a bummer.

Less immersive terrain and easier to guess where nme is hiding or gonna shoot from.

This is how BF4 do it.

Every Wall/Box/Window has the same high. Only Rocks have different high and on them the BF4 System dont work.

This is why i had hope that we dont get this.

Arma 3 System is not perfect but still better then any automatic solution. And if people say but its for comfort...

no there is no comfort. Look how modern games look like because everyone try to simplify it.

Even i like BF4 its just a Fun Game....Spawn kill as much as you can try to take a flag...and watch youre K/D....

No Balance, no comunication outside clans/wars. WOW yes this is a game where we should take features from...

This is how BF4 do it.

Every Wall/Box/Window has the same high. Only Rocks have different high and on them the BF4 System dont work.

This is why i had hope that we dont get this.

Arma 3 System is not perfect but still better then any automatic solution. And if people say but its for comfort...

no there is no comfort. Look how modern games look like because everyone try to simplify it.

Even i like BF4 its just a Fun Game....Spawn kill as much as you can try to take a flag...and watch youre K/D....

No Balance, no comunication outside clans/wars. WOW yes this is a game where we should take features from...

Thx for explaining.

Thx for explaining.

if youd like a visual explanation: 

watch the first third of this video.

This is how BF4 do it.

One, just because a game plays a certain way, doesn't mean everything that is in the game sucks, that logic doesn't make any sense.

Two, just because a game does one thing a certain way, doesn't mean we couldn't take the same mechanic to make it not suck.

Just because BF4 did it one way, doesn't mean we can't make it better. What about sending a trace to check for height and then dynamically adjusting the player for various heights?

There is more than one way to skin a cat, do not make assumptions based on the limited knowledge you may or may not have. Let us do our job and then decide for yourself when you play with that feature in it's final form.

Who knows, maybe we will find out it won't work and go to something more traditional, dev life yo'!

if youd like a visual explanation:

watch the first third of this video.

Thank you. Saw the vid in the earlier post. I was wondering about the consequences more.

Height of walls/windows and other cover.

Edit: Read SgtRoss post. "Just because BF4 did it one way, doesn't mean we can't make it better. What about sending a trace to check for height and then dynamically adjusting the player for various heights?"

Sounds good. Makes the world less square : )

I have limited knowledge in PC-wizard crafting, so I read and ask questions, found that that limits my limited knowledge ; )

One, just because a game plays a certain way, doesn't mean everything that is in the game sucks, that logic doesn't make any sense.

question unrelated to your reply here:

will you be looking into limiting players' views to a certain "cone" of aim while they're resting their weapon? especially in the case of using a bipod? like this.

it's sort of goofy to see players getting bipod bonuses and being able to essentially do the homer simpson dance at the same time. 

question unrelated to your reply here:

will you be looking into limiting players' views to a certain "cone" of aim while they're resting their weapon? especially in the case of using a bipod? like this.

it's sort of goofy to see players getting bipod bonuses and being able to essentially do the homer simpson dance at the same time. 

We have some ideas for this, yes, possibly more modern solutions.

We have some ideas for this, yes, possibly more modern solutions.

More modern....hmm.......BF Hardline Style?

Just kidding you  :P

More modern....hmm.......BF Hardline Style?

Just kidding you  :P

Don't even...Hardline...shakes head what a silly place.