MiscOne

Arma 3 Movement System

I mean this Stand/Crouch/Prone/Side Step Cover System.

In Arma 3 you have 3 Hotkeys. Standard stand with c, crouch with x, and prone with y/z.

Then also you can lean to side with Q/E.

But there is more, if you hit Strg/Ctrl and then W/S or Q/E you can switch positions.

This would Increase the Ability to hide and get better Position to Fire.

What do you think?

(sry for the bad english)

Like you see here in the Video (its not mine video so if this isnt ok...delete it please.)

I would like to see something like this. It's insanely handy. Word of warning though...there are many Arma haters on here who shed tears because they can't press shift+modifier key.

Battlefield 4's soft lock cover system is being considered, as well as free look. And MAYBE even weapon lowering.. so I think thatd be a pretty fair compromise. Especially once leaning is also improved to be more realistic, i.e. stepping out from cover slightly versus rotating your torso 45 degrees.

I would like to see something like this. It's insanely handy. Word of warning though...there are many Arma haters on here who shed tears because they can't press shift+modifier key.

I have a "few" hrs in Arma and I can say that the key bind system is extensive , but it is a good place to look for examples of what works well and what doesn't . Free look with the keypad is a feature I really like for instance . It's easy to look around while moving .

even after playing squad for a fair amount of time I still find myself holding ALT and trying to look around.  ;)

how about free look default mapped to L Alt, and then 'walk' remapped to shift, and then double tap W to sprint?

Why not remove sprint, scope steady and separate walk.. Plus not to implement any ctrl for more options for partially do something. Plus not to implement softcover locks which are always working when you don't want them and not working when you really need 'em.

I think I'm one of those Melbo did mention. Lol. ArmA is fine not my cup of tea though.

It would be cool to be able to switch to a higher or lower stance to shoot over or under cover without having to change stance entirely. Sitting that would give you more stable fire would be amazing as well.

It would be cool to be able to switch to a higher or lower stance to shoot over or under cover without having to change stance entirely. Sitting that would give you more stable fire would be amazing as well.

Sounds cool I think it would be neat if there is pulldown menu where you can. chose what stance or variation you want to use.

I think it's a nice feature for a simulation but I don't know if Squad would benefit from it. It could disturb the games flow greatly or will not be used if it isn't that useful (like the WALK feature, it never gets used currently). We can hardly discuss this here, I think the devs need to know if they want something like that or not, but every suggestion is appreciated.

I think it's a nice feature for a simulation but I don't know if Squad would benefit from it. It could disturb the games flow greatly or will not be used if it isn't that useful (like the WALK feature, it never gets used currently). We can hardly discuss this here, I think the devs need to know if they want something like that or not, but every suggestion is appreciated. 

Imagine youre in a Situation where the Wall is just....10 cm too high that you could shoot above it. And then the System where you could Upper youre Crouch or Stand too fix it...Also a Situation where a Window is to low that you can use it correct. Also the Sitting. Is common with a MG for accuracy in Situations where you can´t prone well. Or where you have to move faster. Again you could look above bushes...or through tree´s or under them..you could just use the view position how you need.

Imagine youre in a Situation where the Wall is just....10 cm too high that you could shoot above it. And then the System where you could Upper youre Crouch or Stand too fix it...Also a Situation where a Window is to low that you can use it correct. Also the Sitting. Is common with a MG for accuracy in Situations where you can´t prone well. Or where you have to move faster. Again you could look above bushes...or through tree´s or under them..you could just use the view position how you need.

I have nothing against this feature...but inb4 people find it more easy to sprint around the next corner.

I have nothing against this feature...but inb4 people find it more easy to sprint around the next corner.

BF4 is much Faster then Sqaud.There is no tactic.Just Spawn and Kill as many you can.

Peak,Stand,Crouch  Run,Kneel,Laydown. is all they need. Arma while giving the options has always felt robotic.\ with its movment.

I have freelook mapped to the thumb button on my mouse in arma, it's great, really miss it in games that don't have freelook. I've sure one of the early squad videos showed freelook

Arma 3's bipod resting system makes a really good example of shooting over walls that are "just too high" and windows that are "just to low" by using the C key to rest the weapon on almost any surface without needing a bipod.

even after playing squad for a fair amount of time I still find myself holding ALT and trying to look around.  ;)

I'm the same. I miss looking around when running from cover to cover.

I have freelook mapped to the thumb button on my mouse in arma, it's great, really miss it in games that don't have freelook. I've sure one of the early squad videos showed freelook

Earlier builds had a different sprint system. You moved your head and your body would then turn into that direction and it looked very much like freelook. Not sure why it was taken out actually...

I agree with the stance feature being implemented after this weekend, being able to lower up heighten my stance at cover would be greatly beneficial towards the player 

IMO Arma has one of the best stance systems. It combines a simple system that everyone is used too. IE, Standing, crouched, and prone. Then for the more advanced and precise you have every option in between. However it may not be reasonable to have everything but having a couple inbetweens would be amazing and very useful.

Ross, Chuc, and I had a discussion today on how to solve the problem of trying to fire from cover, and you guys might like what we are cooking up.  We wont be implementing anything like the stance adjust, but we are going to scratch the itch that you want scratched :)

Ross, Chuc, and I had a discussion today on how to solve the problem of trying to fire from cover, and you guys might like what we are cooking up.  We wont be implementing anything like the stance adjust, but we are going to scratch the itch that you want scratched :)

One of the simplest things I can think of is making sure that the windows on buildings (for one example) are at heights that happen to correspond to the stances and the height that the player shoots at in each stance (but obviously still look reasonable relative to the building) or making sure the windows are notably high or low enough to not be that annoying "just unable to shoot out of it properly" height. The biggest bane of my existence in PR (and for that matter in closed testing prior to the release of the pre-alpha of Squad) was trying to shoot out a window and hitting the window sill in front of me or similar whereby I could not shoot out of a window properly and an enemy had a relatively clear shot. Another thing that got to me was having a lowish wall where the cover was either such that you could crouch and  not shoot over whatsoever or stand and have half your body be exposed rendering this cover extremely less useful than it otherwise might be, and risking changing the flow of an area of the map entirely contrary to the level designer's wishes.

An extremely complicated stance system slows down the immersion of combat significantly and it will annoy the hell out of people when they press the wrong button, etc. etc. A simpler system will keep the flow going and make the player (especially those new to the game) feel more in control. The solution instead may lie in simply ensuring that the modelers create buildings, walls, fences, wrecks, etc. while keeping in mind that the heights of these objects and or the portholes looking out of them are just as (if not more) important to game-play as how they look. I hope that you guys can come up with something of course, but the modelers are equally involved with making the stance system work and I certainly hope that they're not overlooking that step.