Jump to content
SuchStealth

Nvidia Driver Update (388.31) Issue

Recommended Posts

After I installed the newest Nvidia driver update (388.31) for my Pascal card I get these big chunks of green flickering/tearing across my entire screen. Intro logo is fine but everything else including in-game is like this. It looks like that classic case of hardware failing issue but every other game I play doesn't have this issue.

 

For others having the same problem here's a Reddit thread with a possible fix that worked for me (thanks to Axy for the suggestion):

 

 

Edited by SuchStealth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

385.69 best performance for me in all my games, i tested all newer drivers and reverted back every single time.

i am using 1080ti rog strix here.

 

use nvidia ddu to remove drivers before reverting back to a older one.

 

cheers

Edited by TDS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you sure its your drivers? I have the latest installed with zero issues on any game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Odin said:

Are you sure its your drivers? I have the latest installed with zero issues on any game. 

100%. I rolled back to a previous driver, no problem. I have only this problem with Squad. No other games.

11 hours ago, samwiseOrigin said:

Is it possible to roll back the update on your end?

Yes. And that works. But I still want the newest driver because of the improvements for other games.

11 hours ago, TDS said:

385.69 best performance for me in all my games, i tested all newer drivers and reverted back every single time.

i am using 1080ti rog strix here.

 

use nvidia ddu to remove drivers before reverting back to a older one.

 

cheers

It's only the two latest drivers that has caused this problem. The previous drivers before that has all been fine and some has even improved my performance. It's a shame that it's only happening to Squad. I really need the newest drivers for some of my other new games.

Edited by SuchStealth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys, I'd like to inform you that this bug is affecting me, too.

It's exactly as SuchStealth illustrated it. As soon as the game loads - just after the intro (which is fine) - you end up with something like the attached picture.

(Edit: Dunno if it's important but it's a photo taken with my phone, not a screenshot. The screenshots I took were "clear", not showing any issue at all)

 

8qcuTjV.jpg

 

I tried to verify the integrity of the game files / clear the cached user data / reinstall Squad but nothing changed. 

 

I really don't know if this can be helpful but I noticed the following:

  • If you have your game in windowed or borderless, the green flickering/tearing disappears. It affects only Fullscreen.
  • I play in 1920 x 1080 so I always have the same resolution selected in game; however I tried to re-select it (in the main menu) and it momentarily fixed the bug (in fullscreen). No more green. Momentarily 'cos the green came back as soon as I closed and reopened Squad.

I also checked if other games had the same problem: 

  • Squad --> YES
  • Rocket League --> no
  • Rainbow Six Siege --> no (to my surprise :P)
  • PUBG --> YES

Yup, PUBG showed precisely the same bug: green flickering, fullscreen, ...

Maybe this bug is due to something between 388.31 drivers and Unreal Engine 4?

 

By the way I'd really like to use the newest drivers for my other games, as said by SuchStealth so I'm not a big fan of using DDU.
Please let me know if I can help you in any way to address this bug!

 

Cheers!

Edited by Axy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and welcome to Squad @Axy

 

12 minutes ago, Axy said:
  • Squad --> YES
  • PUBG --> YES

Maybe this bug is due to something between 388.31 drivers and Unreal Engine 4?

bingo. both UE4 games.

I'd say it's up to NVIDIA and Epic to fix it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, beginna said:

Hello and welcome to Squad @Axy

Thanks @beginna^_^
I'm new to the forum but I've been playing (and enjoying) Squad for quite some time now... damn, half a year... time flies when you're having fun, huh? :)

 

8 minutes ago, beginna said:

bingo. both UE4 games.

I'd say it's up to NVIDIA and Epic to fix it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Okey dokey, guess we'll have to wait then!
Thanks anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somebody have problem with fps too? I got fx8320 and gtx 1060 before this update i got like 60+fps now 40 50 rarely 60 :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2017 at 8:42 PM, Axy said:
  • If you have your game in windowed or borderless, the green flickering/tearing disappears. It affects only Fullscreen.
  • I play in 1920 x 1080 so I always have the same resolution selected in game; however I tried to re-select it (in the main menu) and it momentarily fixed the bug (in fullscreen). No more green. Momentarily 'cos the green came back as soon as I closed and reopened Squad

Yes, this works for me too. But the mouse lag/smoothing effect that happens in windowed and borderless is not a sacrifice I'm willing to make. I play with same resolution. Shall try to re-select it and see if that works.

On 11/18/2017 at 8:42 PM, Axy said:

I also checked if other games had the same problem: 

  • Squad --> YES
  • Rocket League --> no
  • Rainbow Six Siege --> no (to my surprise :P)
  • PUBG --> YES

Yup, PUBG showed precisely the same bug: green flickering, fullscreen, ...

Maybe this bug is due to something between 388.31 drivers and Unreal Engine 4?

It might very well be. I tried a couple of UE4 games and got the exact same problem one every single game but one. By the way, I must ask. Do you have UE4 installed through the Epic Games Launcher? I have and am beginning to wonder if that may have something to do with it. If you don't have it installed however, I won't bother uninstalling it to test it.

 

On 11/18/2017 at 8:59 PM, beginna said:

Hello and welcome to Squad @Axy

 

bingo. both UE4 games.

I'd say it's up to NVIDIA and Epic to fix it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As I replied to Axy, it might actually be it. However there was one UE4 game I tried that didn't have the problem. But every other UE4 game I tried had the exact same problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017. 11. 19. at 4:59 AM, beginna said:

 

I'd say it's up to NVIDIA and Epic to fix it.

I guess I am holding on the driver updates for now then.... :/ 

Edited by samwiseOrigin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SuchStealth said:

But the mouse lag/smoothing effect that happens in windowed and borderless is not a sacrifice I'm willing to make

You're right, I just can't stand not to play in Fullscreen *First World problems* 

 

18 hours ago, SuchStealth said:

Do you have UE4 installed through the Epic Games Launcher?

Yup, I do.

But @SuchStealth I'd recommend you checking out your inbox: I sent you a private message in which I linked some proper discussions about this issue and a possible workaround for it. I'm not too happy with workarounds 'cos they don't really fix anything but hey, it's way easier and simpler than the hassle of reinstalling tons of stuff ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×