YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife

Share Your Free Weekend Experiences Here

Feel free to share whatever stories or experiences regarding this free weekend here.

After I joined a squad I quickly realized that the squad leader wasn't really aware what that meant so I asked for an admin to see if they could sort the situation out. They told me that I should show them the ropes so I did just that. After some hot potato antics with the SL role I managed to organize the players and was able to teach them about the compass and bearings as we made our way to the objective. I spotted a lone Russian soldier and announced their position and ordered the squad to engage. After that, we went up to the body for a quick lesson on differentiating the US and RU player models. There was little time left in the round and unfortunately, shortly into the round after that the server closed connection.

I decided to join a new one that was relatively full. An AAS match on Al-Basrah was starting. After the last experience, I realized someone needed to show these boots (I think we should call new players "boots" instead of the usual "noob") the basics of the game. So I started a squad and came up with the name "Baptism by Fire" as the only way to really learn the game as of now is to jump in a match and start playing. We took the SPG to village with the objective of slowing the US advance. Along the way, I tried to explain anything that seemed relevant that came to mind. Our SPG was destroyed but we did distract and slow the US team while the rest of our team dug in at outskirts. They eventually took village so we started to foot it back to outskirts. On our way back, a squadmate called some contacts, about a fireteam of soldiers making themselves obvious standing on a ridge, bunched up. They were facing outskirts so we were a little behind and south of them. I believe earlier a player explained not to shoot unless it was required. Demonstrating outstanding patience and fortitude, they waited until my command to fire. Once I gave the order to engage, the enemy dropped like bowling pins. At this point, I considered the boots to more like ducklings to me. Later when I went to pick up a logi, one of ours asked what a logi was. So I simply explained how it was short for "logistics" and what the vehicle's purpose was. They then told me, "You're really helpful!" To be looked up to like that felt so nice. All in all, our squad fought brilliantly despite a good portion of them being new.

I'm sorry if you had any bad experiences with the free weekend players but I feel like we should try to teach them with firsthand experience as opposed to just dismissing them. If they have a good experience, it reflects better on the game, it's community, and may also increase sales.

You, i like you.

Just to point out how new i am, i haven't even purchased the game yet but i will in the next hours/day.

Before buying squad, i've already watch hour long playtroughs of it so i don't go into a match completly green.

First thing that happend to me when joining a server, was that i joined a squad with a dead SL.

No rally up, no attack marker, no voice... nothing. I've only played 4 full matches but that was the worst one.

2nd match same story, but quite a few of the squaddies had mics, so we made our own squad.

3rd one was a german SL, wich after i told him i understand some german, just switched to english and didn't kick me for it.

Great match.

Last match, the only open squad with people had nobody with a mic nor a squad leader who was playing the class.

Made my own squad and people started joining, not really the best tactic as a new player to go straight as SL but no other choice.

A good SL makes the game.

Edited by oTec

A squad was pushing on enemy HAB. Everyone went to radio not the HAB itself. 
I saw someone peaking out of HAB. Different uniform. One of the team member turned around. Did not shoot him just walked right past. I am confused. The enemy is confused.... I let the enemy execute one player then I got him.... 

Tried to play, squad voip isn't working, only local/command. It cuts out/doesn't work an awful lot where as the other two have no issues. Lead my squad in a game w here insurgents were at our main before our team did anything and nobody did anything production the whole round lol. Frustrating 110%.

Had a couple of good rounds today. With one or two regulars in my squad and the rest being new. The tone was set from the beginning with no bullshit and expectations within the squad. During one round we took and held the radio station together against an enemy who was constantly in the offense. 

Both rounds I fought in today were won.

To all new players this weekend, welcome to squad! Stick with your squad and follow orders. Get experience with the different kits and listen to the experienced squad players.

Our tags in the field [TP] 

If you see my comrades or myself in the field you are welcome to tag along.

Edited by Andersson

A lot of people without mics think they need to empathise the need and the experience improvement with a mic. Have had to do a lot of Team swapping to try and even out the sides. Nice to see not too many first flag rushes from the more experienced Squads. 

Had a Cracking round with new SL's and squad what looked like a wipe round fighting all the way back from ruins to First. For the win. 

B3428BFC199D25B8F2B10B115A33A9E7A521A00B

Must admit even for me, think my voice box has RSI .  :) 

Sorry to say but it felt like a mobilization of the only people left.When you get hardly two days of training or no training at all and shipped to the front.

Hadn't touched the game in a while but decided to jump back in for the free weekend and volunteer myself as an SL and played a few rounds that way.

One of them on Chora was particularly nice, built up an FOB, explained how to do it, then went on to find some contacts and wrecked plenty of vehicles and squads despite having a couple of new guys.

Hello Soldiers,

I'm a backer, I played a lot with my team when the game came out in EA. It was nice, but we stopped playing completely at Alpha 6.5 (July 2016).

And then yesterday, one of us asked "hey guys, I want to try again Squad, follow me ?"  And there we are, more than 1 year later, in Alpha 9.14.

Well my very first impression was "Waou the game is so smooth now"... I have modest PC specs: I7 920, 10Go DDR3, GTX960.
One year earlier the game was pretty unplayable for me... but I tried hard xD  And now my framerate is so good, it was a real pleasure. Thank you for the optimisations guys !!

We really enjoyed the new UI, the new maps, the new models, the new sounds, the new effects  (holy !! those explosions are so well designed !!)
Vehicles were pretty new for us too, and... the new FOB system... with supplies and all stuff !! It makes the game so tactical and deep !! We really enjoyed the way you turned all these features !

I was able to play during 4 hours in a row without a single crash... Our night was so positive ! :D

So from me and all my teammates, it's a massive encouragement for all you did in the past year... This game is becoming a must-have for all people who likes milsim shooters !!

Well I have to go, because tonight, me and my teammates have to cross again the "Fool's Road" :ph34r:

English language is not my mother tongue, sorry for my syntax.

Hey guys, absolutely brand new but logged just to say. I found the game through karmakut and diplex videos. Tried the free weekend and brought the game. 

Pretty much the main reason I've jumped in is the community. I sucked hard, died a lot and ran long distances only to get shot... overall an awful experience most of the time. 

But the friendliness of squad leaders, even when getting repeatedly disappointed by our actions, as well as the other squaddies was just mind blowing. 

So thanks. 

For consistency all we played was squadops Mestia 24/7 all weekend long. And we always swapped over to Militia every round. Capped our squad at three or four with noobs only and typically gave them the scout car or techie to roam around whilst the kid laid down mines behind enemy lines and I kept fresh rallies and ammo going. Overall we had a blast and farmed a successful crop of potatoes I think.

As a veteran of this game, i realized it needs some sort of ingame tutorial for new people. I had a very easy time killing people around. Me and a friend in a 2man squad, got like 30 kills each dieing like 2-3 times.

When there's no free weekend we have a hard time killing the enemy, since they know what they're doing.

After those scores and some lag in the server, we went to another server, where the SL's knew what they were doing, and even if we had a harder time, we felt this was too easy.

When we run with vehicles we are allways too scary of beeing close to the enemy. This weekend it looked like noone had RPGs to shoot us (or the enemy). Also there was 0 hub placements (they did place some FOBs though), all the vehicles were used as "taxi" left in the middle of the battleground, etc.

I have to say that this was expected, having the experience of other free weekends. But this is not becuase of the lack of skill of new players. There was some moments where i was beeing shot at 50m and could turn around and kill them, but that's not the main issue. The thing is that people had no clue what to do. Which is why i think this game needs a small ingame tutorial to learn the basics and then learn the details playing hours.

As someone else posted before, this looked like a bunch of soldiers with 2 days of training, sent to the battlefield, resulting in a huge mess.

My 2 cents!

I kept getting into servers that were completely stacked, since many veterans couldn't deal with leading the one and only squad that knew even the bare minimum of the functions in game, and then all congregated to the other side. I'm all for helping new players, but when all SL's and almost all players don't know what a rally is, or a FOB, or why they can't switch their optics, or which caps you should be fighting for, or anything, it really pointed out how badly mandatory tutorials would help new players know enough to have a shot at liking the game, instead of simply being squashed flat, over and over. 

saw the same lugnut. tried to help organise things but when you see the end of game scoreboard and your team has 6 squads called alpha while the other team has almost all named squads you can see why you lost so bad.

Not sure how to resolve it. I best I can think of is hovering help tips which tell you what to do. I doubt a tutorial would help as the SL who thinks they know is often worse than those that just go at it. Most wont even bother anyway.

Found our teams logi on it's side, sorted it out and went back to main. Sat beside repair station as it was down at 10% health. Other SL jumps in and demands that I drive away. Explain about repair. He gets out to tk me and takes the logi to the front line and abandons it.

No admins around unfortunately.

First match went pretty well, standard inf fighting on yehr and the one SL that tried to get everyone to join his 2 man fob squad 30 minutes into the match.

Second match was where it started going downhill. 2/3rds of my squad either executed orders after 10 minutes of asking or didnt at all. The rest of the team sat at an objective that was  uncappable despite being asked to move up, and when they finally did the momentum was gone.

Third match went to shit. There was a guy that made a squad with his buddies that stole my logi truck only to park it in front of a BTR, couldn't save it in the 20 seconds it took to destroy it because of the claiming system; he would continue to use various vehicles as taxis. A stryker was taken to an objective by a different squad and abandoned, they later asked us to recover said stryker while it was being rpg'd. An SL built a fob but never bothered to activate it. An SL sat next to a cappable flag but didn't bother to cap it until incessantly poked to cap it. At least my squad was reasonably competent despite the odd accents and couple guys with no mics but they weren't a bother.

Through either luck, skill, or enemy incompetence we won all 3 matches.

10/10 - would get blue falconed and green weenied again

Edited by DiesALot

Tried playing on Saturday. Joined a server and a squad, but the SL was seemingly mute. There were a couple of new guys talking, but think they were just taking the piss, not really interested in the game. Joined another squad with only 2 players in it, but the SL apologised, and left making me the SL. The one remaining guy then apologised, team killed me, and left. I left the server and gave up for the day. 

Sunday was much better. Joined the RIP server, found a squad with an SL who I think was fairly new as he was asking for feedback, but he was excellent. Good communication, defined objectives, got everyone working together, primarily acting as a mortar squad. I played for several hours over several maps, each time with him being the SL and had a great time. I offered to run logistics driver several times, really enjoyed myself. The highlight was the last map we played, Basra. Once again, joined the same SL as did some of the same guys and this time, we ran as a normal infantry squad. I offered to drive the Stryker, we all piled in and I transported everyone to the outskirts. Everyone bails out and does their thing, SL asks me to stay as driver (I'm happy to) and one of the other guys jumps in to man the gun.

For the next hour or so, myself and the gunner basically ran around the map giving armoured vehicle support and it was fantastic. Rolled up, supported attacks, fell back to repair when hit (didn't get destroyed once). Communication was excellent between me and gunner, and between both of us and the SL. At one point, we were providing a rolling shield to another squad as they moved along the streets - proper close armour support. Think my gunner ended the round on 39 kills with no deaths....I ended up with no points, having not fired a single shot or even left the driver's seat, but still one of the most fun rounds I'd ever played in Squad :)

Ashamed to say I can't remember the names..I think our squad leader was SAS|Godlike? And the gunner was "manroV" or something....chaps, if you're on this forum and read this, thankyou for an excellent game on Sunday :) 

1 hour ago, DaiaBu said:

Ashamed to say I can't remember the names..I think our squad leader was SAS|Godlike? And the gunner was "manroV" or something....chaps, if you're on this forum and read this, thankyou for an excellent game on Sunday :) 

It's annoying that you can't add people to your friendslist from the scoreboard screen (or not yet atleast), met some cool teammates during my playtime but i always forget to ask for a steam id.

4 hours ago, oTec said:

[...] add people to your friendslist from the scoreboard screen [...]

I agree. would be nice to have.

TnEtKGg.png

I actually had for the most part a great experience, just had to be patient and help new players get the hang of the game,  when you look at the no. of new players on the servers now it obviously worked a treat, one thing a lot of the new players wanted was a way to favourite the servers. 

Overall it went pretty well.

I had a few good squads, but i think i were the only aware of fob+hab since winning often was about giving people a place to spawn.

This happened just after F2P weekend, but should have happened and i am pretty sure ya'll had one..

I ran a AT holding RPG with a lodge full of supplies, executed him brutally..